Does Klopp get too much praise for his trophy count at liverpool

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Pep will go down as the best of all time for sure even though some others would have a nice trophy count with the teams Pep managed. Probably not as many which is why he will be thought of as the best. That’s the bottom line.
I would like to see him take a struggling team though just to see how that plays out.
As far as Klopp not winning enough? He’s up against the best PL side and Mgr of all time and holding his own. We should all be impressed by him.
He's clearly a top level coach, no one is disputing that, but he's led Liverpool to a very lonely one domestic title in a decade of football. He broke multiple transfer records for that acomplishment too.

One league title in 10 years just isn't enough for Klopp to be considered among the greats.

That's me being honest before you accuse me of bias.

marktan

Some weird arguments in this thread, Klopp has question marks because he's not taken over a top team like Giardiola has? Are we not counting Liverpool where he's taken them from being utter crap to being one of the best if not the best team in the world, and then maintaining them at the top level? The first season where he's actually had a big squad he's challenging for every trophy. Last season all their defenders were injured, before that they won the CL and the PL..

The mental gymnastics people will do try and make Guardiola look better..

Yes he is a top manager, but no, there will always be a question mark as to whether he can take a weaker team and build into something great without spending a billion plus, and thus dominating by virtue of having the best squad. Until he does that Klopp will always have the edge over him.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He's clearly a top level coach, no one is disputing that, but he's led Liverpool to a very lonely one domestic title in a decade of football. He broke multiple transfer records for that acomplishment too.
Would you rather we kept Klopp for another five seasons? It's the best way to guarantee not many more trophies, right?

What if Ten Haag were to come in and won us 3 PL's over Pep? Better the devil and all that right? So I'll put you down for a firm stay for not so successful, over spending, Klopp.

Mercurial

He did overachieve with Dortmund and Liverpool though.

We need to also look at his budget and strength of his teams.
If he overachieved with both then its not overachievment anymore. The man knows how to build a RockNRoll gegenpress machine on a less than max budget.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Would you rather we kept Klopp for another five seasons? It's the best way to guarantee not many more trophies, right?

What if Ten Haag were to come in and won us 3 PL's over Pep? Better the devil and all that right? So I'll put you down for a firm stay for not so successful, over spending, Klopp.
What's with all the hypotheticals?

I don't think he wants to stay a further 5 years mate, so it makes no difference what I want. You can ask him to extend, but don't get your hopes up.

Be truly honest, if he leaves at the end of the season without adding to his and Liverpool's title count, he'd have to be considered a failure in terms of domestic success. Just admit it.

432JuanMata

One league title in 10 years just isn't enough for Klopp to be considered among the greats.

That's me being honest before you accuse me of bias.
But the fact Liverpool where 30 years without a title and where just a big club who averagely finished 4-6th and now are considered the best team(or 2nd best) in the world.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Some weird arguments in this thread, Klopp has question marks because he's not taken over a top team like Giardiola has? Are we not counting Liverpool where he's taken them from being utter crap to being one of the best if not the best team in the world, and then maintaining them at the top level? The first season where he's actually had a big squad he's challenging for every trophy. Last season all their defenders were injured, before that they won the CL and the PL..

The mental gymnastics people will do try and make Guardiola look better..

Yes he is a top manager, but no, there will always be a question mark as to whether he can take a weaker team and build into something great without spending a billion plus, and thus dominating by virtue of having the best squad. Until he does that Klopp will always have the edge over him.
I disagree. You cannot have the edge over someone that has 3 times as many trophies as you when he's been managing half as long. And that's even allowing for your point about budget differences.

They've faced different challenges, that's all. If anyone thinks that taking over a basketcase club like Barcelona with no managerial experience is easy, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But the fact Liverpool where 30 years without a title and where just a big club who averagely finished 4-6th and now are considered the best team(or 2nd best) in the world.
Look, Liverpool's title drought was a travesty of the ages. We all felt deep, heartfelt sorrow for their abysmal plight. We'll never forget those totally legit feels, ya know? Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Sniff.

But at the end of the day, one league title is still one league title no matter how you slice it up. And one league title isn't enough to be considered a great.

Claudio Ranieri won a league title with Leicester, you will recall, and he did so with a considerably weaker team. Is he a great too?

marktan

I disagree. You cannot have the edge over someone that has 3 times as many trophies as you when he's been managing half as long. And that's even allowing for your point about budget differences.

They've faced different challenges, that's all. If anyone thinks that taking over a basketcase club like Barcelona with no managerial experience is easy, then I've got a bridge to sell you.
That's just an arbitrary metric to compare them that removes the need for any context.

By that logic Zidane is a better manager than both Klopp and Pep because he's won 2 leagues and 3 CLs in about a quarter of the time Pep's been managing. Clearly, the context of him inheriting one of the greatest teams in modern history matters. Just like I'm sure you can spot the differences between the teams Klopp and Pep have managed.

Jev

The current Liverpool team aren't underdogs to no club, and they haven't been for a while.
No, and that is 100 percent down to the outstanding work done by Klopp. He is a fantastic manager and deserving of all the praise he gets.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That's just an arbitrary metric to compare them that removes the need for any context.

By that logic Zidane is a better manager than both Klopp and Pep because he's won 2 leagues and 3 CLs in about a quarter of the time Pep's been managing. Clearly, the context of him inheriting one of the greatest teams in modern history matters. Just like I'm sure you can spot the differences between the teams Klopp and Pep have managed.
That's not my logic at all. If Zidane had 3 times the trophies that Pep does after managing for half the time, then you'd have a point. But he doesn't.

SER19

You mean that the team that didn't win a title in 2 seasons and finished 19 points behind Madrid could have coached themselves to a title? Makes you wonder why they failed in those 2 previous seasons right?
Who are the countless that have achieved things that he has not? And do you ask yourself why he's rated so highly amongst players and his colleagues?
Eh no not really as player experience and maturity is important too. Messi quite clearly hit a new level. Claiming guardiola rebuilt that team is sort of ridiculous. It was a maturing team that he did a great job with but took over at a dream moment

SER19

And we know this......how exactly?

This weird infantile line of arguing always crops up around guardiola. Its so bizarre. You know what an opinion is don't you?

We don't constantly state opinions with 'in my opinion' as a preface and certainly not when talking about hypothetical football situations on a football forum.

If you don't quote and respond with this every single time you see a hypothetical opinion you disagree with then you have to ask yourself why its so triggering to you in this case.

Very weird.

Haaland would struggle in the PL

-and we know this.... how exactly?

Mourinho would do a great job with an international side

Sam Allardyce would keep Burnley up

Again if you're not policing pretty much every single thread along these lines then you've been triggered by something or are really random in your semantic demands

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This weird infantile line of arguing always crops up around guardiola. Its so bizarre. You know what an opinion is don't you?

We don't constantly state opinions with 'in my opinion' as a preface and certainly not when talking about hypothetical football situations on a football forum.

If you don't quote and respond with this every single time you see a hypothetical opinion you disagree with then you have to ask yourself why its so triggering to you in this case.

Very weird.

Haaland would struggle in the PL

Mourinho would do a great job with an international side

Sam Allardyce would keep Burnley up

Again if you're not policing pretty much every single thread along these lines then you've been triggered by something or are really random in your semantic demands
It was just a question, there's really no need for you to use terms like 'weird' and 'infantile'.

You made a statement, I asked a question in response to that statement, because as far as I can see, there is no way to know categorically the truth of that statement. But maybe you know better.

Xanther

Eh no not really as player experience and maturity is important too. Messi quite clearly hit a new level. Claiming guardiola rebuilt that team is sort of ridiculous. It was a maturing team that he did a great job with but took over at a dream moment
It is not ridiculous. Those players point their progression to him and his methods, Xavi pretty much swears by it. Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, etc, a bunch of others all point to Pep. There is no explanation on the planet that fits better than that Pep is one of the GOATs of coaching and he made that team tick. Tbh it's ridiculous to claim otherwise, when the people closest to that time themselves, the players themselves, affirm his gigantic influence.

Fam his Barca changed the game itself. Won everything there is to win in a single calendar year. This is not something a bunch of players can orchestrate when the season prior they were up to absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Sultan

SER19

It was just a question, there's really no need for you to use terms like 'weird' and 'infantile'.

You made a statement, I asked a question in response to that statement, because as far as I can see, there is no way to know categorically the truth of that statement. But maybe you know better.

You can not prove or provide truth for a hypothetical situation. Its just an opinion, and weirdly conversations around Guardiola seem to demand some higher standard of 'proof' or 'truth' than pretty much every other thread and opinion on the site

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This is a Klopp thread which seems to have (regrettably) turned into a Klopp v Guardiola thread, but I thought it was interesting what was written on their respective Wikipedia pages. For Guardiola:

Josep "Pep" Guardiola Sala (Catalan pronunciation: [ʒuˈzɛb ɡwəɾðiˈɔlə]; born 18 January 1971) is a Spanish professional football manager and former player, who is the current manager of Premier League club Manchester City. He is considered one of the greatest managers of all time

For Jurgen:

Jürgen Norbert Klopp (German pronunciation: [ˈjʏʁɡn̩ ˈklɔp] (audio speaker iconlisten); born 16 June 1967) is a German professional football manager and former player who is the manager of Premier League club Liverpool. He is widely regarded as one of the best managers in the world

Make of that what you will. Could this season change Klopp's legacy?

Oranges038

That’s not how it works, otherwise AVB would be rated way higher on the list of greatest ever managers
There was just a little hint of sarcasm in my post. I still thought it was quite obvious. Maybe I need to use more emojis.

padr81

Supports
Man City
This is a Klopp thread which seems to have (regrettably) turned into a Klopp v Guardiola thread, but I thought it was interesting what was written on their respective Wikipedia pages. For Guardiola:

Josep "Pep" Guardiola Sala (Catalan pronunciation: [ʒuˈzɛb ɡwəɾðiˈɔlə]; born 18 January 1971) is a Spanish professional football manager and former player, who is the current manager of Premier League club Manchester City. He is considered one of the greatest managers of all time

For Jurgen:

Jürgen Norbert Klopp (German pronunciation: [ˈjʏʁɡn̩ ˈklɔp] (audio speaker iconlisten); born 16 June 1967) is a German professional football manager and former player who is the manager of Premier League club Liverpool. He is widely regarded as one of the best managers in the world

Make of that what you will. Could this season change Klopp's legacy?
Absolutely, its why I feel he'll need to "prove" it at a club that will win consistently. He's a great manager but he needs a trophy haul to match the other greats. He may do that at Liverpool and imho that would make him the greatest but also being runner up to City forever would leave him shy in the trophy count for the greats long term. He needs to prove he can win consistently.

He's still a great manager mind and probably the best in the world right now.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
His net spend to trophy ratio certainly puts him in the conversation?

You can't argue what he's done with Liverpool and Dortmund. They are not the commercial behemoth that a United or Madrid or Barca are. They are not backed by loaded owners. They are punching/punched well above their weight and it comes down to recruitment and coaching which Klopp is a big part of.

The Disneyland story makes me sick. With the resources wasted here, he would've found a tune out of some of these squads we've had over the last decade - 100%
There are coaches who only work being underdog. When they have more resources available they get lost. IE : Mourinho

padr81

Supports
Man City
I've had this conversation to death on here. An opinion based on hypotheticals can't be 'proven'. If my opinion is that important to you go search for elaboration. Sorry for daring to offend your beloved Abu Dhabi and their peers who are doing such a stellar job accommodating your countrymen, the kinahans. Vile, murderous scum nation aside, i simply hold the opinion that klopp is a superior manager and that guardiola hasn't left city yet as a gimmee role hasn't appeared in recent years with most top clubs in some state of transition.
So you have no argument as usual. Come in, spout nonsense, get asked to validate your opinion, cry.

My countrymen... I'm English but nice try by trying to tie me to a gang of shitbag Irish drug dealers (not that they in anyway reflect the Irish people). Maybe you should try and tie some of the genuine Irish people to them on here and see how far that gets you. There's loads of good blokes on here who are Irish (I actually thought you were at least Norther Irish), I'm sure they'd love you trying to associate them. Maybe I should try and connect you to the UVF or something,..if I'm ever losing an argument to you.

You're an embarrassment with your hate fueled posts. If you don't like being called out on your bollix posts or can't handle you being questioned on your opinion put me on ignore. If not take it like a man instead of a baby.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

Pep will go down as the best of all time for sure even though some others would have a nice trophy count with the teams Pep managed. Probably not as many which is why he will be thought of as the best. That’s the bottom line.
I would like to see him take a struggling team though just to see how that plays out.
As far as Klopp not winning enough? He’s up against the best PL side and Mgr of all ti
As far as Klopp not winning enough? He’s up against the best PL side and Mgr of all time and holding his own. We should all be impressed by him.

I am impressed, he's the best about at the moment.

He will not match the trophy count but I think what he doing at the dippers is more impressive than who you are calling the best manager of all time

SER19

So you have no argument as usual. Come in, spout nonsense, get asked to validate your opinion, cry.

My countrymen... I'm English but nice try by trying to tie me to a gang of shitbag Irish drug dealers (not that they in anyway reflect the Irish people). Maybe you should try and tie some of the genuine Irish people to them on here and see how far that gets you. There's loads of good blokes on here who are Irish (I actually thought you were at least Norther Irish), I'm sure they'd love you trying to associate them. Maybe I should try and connect you to the UVF or something,..if I'm ever losing an argument to you.

You're an embarrassment with your hate fueled posts. If you don't like being called out on your bollix posts or can't handle you being questioned on your opinion put me on ignore. If not take it like a man instead of a baby.
:lol: mother of meltdowns. I stated a fairly commonly held opinion about guardiola and you started demanding 'proof' which again, can't be provided for an opinion on a hypothetical situation. I steered clear of conversing with you, well, for exactly this reason. You're incredibly hyperbolic and defensive to any criticism of city's murderous owners.

Im sorry to have mistaken you for Irish, but im Irish and you seem to be trying to tie me to some anti Irish sentiment which is very weird. I was sure you once said you were Irish so it was a simple mix up, but in any case the nationality of the countless murderous thugs harboured by UAE shouldn't really matter. Again, its probably best not to go on because i find the mental gymnastics and rationalising pretty hard to stomach where dubai/abu Dhabi is concerned and its a detour too far which i instigated and should stop for sake of the thread.

I gave this reply to your initial querying

'Like guardiola, he's been successful in every job he's had. But the challenge at Liverpool was far greater than anything guardiola has ever taken on and Guardiola has no track record of rebuilding a club as klopp has done. Both great managers but one needs a particular set of circumstances to even be interested in a job. Give Klopp guardiolas billions and all the murky dealings of Abu Dhabi and he'd undoubtedly continue his success. i don't believe guardiola could have done it.'

All fairly innocuous really.

Im sorry that my opinion that guardiola couldn't do what klopp did at Liverpool aggravates you so much. But im only one little person on the Internet and you can ignore me

lsd

The Oracle
We will know how good he is when he leaves Liverpool.

padr81

Supports
Man City
:lol: mother of meltdowns. I stated a fairly commonly held opinion about guardiola and you started demanding 'proof' which again, can't be provided for an opinion on a hypothetical situation. I steered clear of conversing with you, well, for exactly this reason. You're incredibly hyperbolic and defensive to any criticism of city's murderous owners.

Im sorry to have mistaken you for Irish, but im Irish and you seem to be trying to tie me to some anti Irish sentiment which is very weird. I was sure you once said you were Irish so it was a simple mix up, but in any case the nationality of the countless murderous thugs harboured by UAE shouldn't really matter. Again, its probably best not to go on because i find the mental gymnastics and rationalising pretty hard to stomach where dubai is concerned and its a detour too far which i instigated and should stop for sake of the thread.

Im sorry that my opinion that guardiola couldn't do what klopp did at Liverpool aggravates you so much. But im only one little person on the Internet and you can ignore me
You mean the same me who's last mention of our owners was they should be gone? Did I deny what they were in either of your posts? I asked you to back up why Klopp would be successful at City nothing more or nothing less.

You came back with a load of nonsense about the Kinahins (and their nationality, not me) and more ranting about Abu Dhabi. Weird to bring up the Kinahins as my countrymen or anybodies really than isn't it, you could have said "our" but with you not being able to follow the discussion we were having, and having no point at all to back up what you were questioned on you tried to tie me to the Kinahins in a weird way. I mean literally nothing to do with the conversation but this is what you do isn't it.

One post of yours about human rights pre-2009 would be nice too. But we both know you spout this stuff because your team are losing at football But yes our owners are what you say they are.

SER19

We will know how good he is when he leaves Liverpool.

Depends where he goes. If he goes to bayern or psg and boosts his trophy count with ease, it won't make him a better manager in my eyes. Seeing the state United are in, and how far from Liverpool level we seem,makes me really admire the job he's done. If not for coinciding with city's middle East project, hed have more trophies but even so is possibly going for a 3rd CL final in 5 years and who knows maybe another PL

SER19

You mean the same me who's last mention of our owners was they should be gone? Did I deny what they were in either of your posts? I asked you to back up why Klopp would be successful at City nothing more or nothing less.

You came back with a load of nonsense about the Kinahins (and their nationality, not me). Weird to bring up the Kinahins as my countrymen or anybodies really than isn't it, you could have said "our" but with you not being able to follow the discussion we were having, and having no point at all to back up what you were questioned on you tried to tie me to the Kinahins in a weird way. I mean literally nothing to do with the conversation but this is what you do isn't it.

One post of yours about human rights pre-2009 would be nice too. But we both know you spout this stuff because your team are losing at football But yes our owners are what you say they are.
Im going to suggest a night's sleep on this, its getting a bit rambling for me. Maybe read our interaction in chronology in the morning, i don't think any comment about your owners that upset you so much was out of place. I've apologised already for thinking you're Irish i was sure you once said you were. For what it's worth i was hugely against chelseas takeover too, and Newcastles now. It took near genocide in Ukraine for some to acknowledge that people's aversion to Abramovich wasn't just sporting jealousy. Night

padr81

Supports
Man City
Im going to suggest a night's sleep on this, its getting a bit rambling for me. Maybe read our interaction in chronology in the morning, i don't think any comment about your owners that upset you so much was out of place. I've apologised already for thinking you're Irish i was sure you once said you were. Night
I said your comment on our owners was fine, like literally in the post you quoted, I said you avoided what I asked in my quote of you to post nonsense which you did. Maybe you just can't read well, good night and take care.

SER19

It is not ridiculous. Those players point their progression to him and his methods, Xavi pretty much swears by it. Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, etc, a bunch of others all point to Pep. There is no explanation on the planet that fits better than that Pep is one of the GOATs of coaching and he made that team tick. Tbh it's ridiculous to claim otherwise, when the people closest to that time themselves, the players themselves, affirm his gigantic influence.

Fam his Barca changed the game itself. Won everything there is to win in a single calendar year. This is not something a bunch of players can orchestrate when the season prior they were up to absolutely nothing.
This is a bit of a straw man though. I think he did an incredible job at barca, its clear to see, but to say he rebuilt them in the context of what klopp did at Liverpool is a stretch. He added Dani Alves to an absurdly talented squad and yes, absolutely, got them playing brilliantly

Paul_Scholes18

It is insane what a job he is doing. I hoped we would challenge this year after being second, but we declined like crazy.

Liverpool have raised the level and he is improving all his players. The signings Konate and Diaz are showing the value right now.

Ranie

He’s taken a pretty mediocre team to the very top in world football. I think the praise he’s got is well deserved; a CL win, a premiership win and probably another CL and/or PL title this season. He’s still to make a high profile signing that hasn’t worked and he’s, what, on his sixth season? I hate to say it but this guy is a genius and will probably go down as one of the very best by the end of this decade. Liverpool are very lucky to have him, sadly.

ForeverRed1

winning the PL with liverpool and their history with it over the last 30 years is seriously impressive. No other manager has done what he has done with them in decades. He’s a very impressive manager.

can’t believe how many write him off.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's one of the two best managers in the game. What he has done there is absolutely remarkable. Would have loved either of them here, alas.

They were quite fortunate to come up against a City side having to go full strength in the CL a few days ago, missing loads of players. Strange call though by Pep to not play Ederson.