Does Maguire's armband make him the leader while Ronaldo is in the same team?

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Should Ronnie get the captain's armband, because no one will have the same impact on the team as he has already had?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
No. Maguire is the captain and has done well. He should retain it. You don’t need an armband to be a leader. Everyone can see he already is. He also wasn’t the captain at Madrid.

HJ12

From a team with a lack of on-field leadership a few years back, we're in good shape now. Maguire, Varane, Fernandes, Ronaldo. But Harry's done well, so no point in disrupting the continuity.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not a great thread. 3/10. Could have been avoided if you had thought it through.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Squads are allowed to have multiple leaders, from what admittedly little we know about the dynamic in the dressing room we had multiple strong characters prior to Ronaldo’s return.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Should Ronnie get the captain's armband, because no one will have the same impact on the team as he has already had?
No. Maguire is the skipper. He's a proper leader, among a score of proper leaders.

We have all the leadership we could ever need in the squad today.

flappyjay

Vidic wore the armband but VDS, Rio, evra were always captains too.

mu4c_20le

The only thing the armband gets Harry is first dibs at the lunch counter.

Trequarista10

No. Ronaldo can lead by example on the pitch and training ground, but I don't think he's necessarily a captain.

This threads reminds of me every schoolboy team I played in, when the best player was automatically made captain, regardless of any discernable people skills.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't think CR7 is not a good captain, but he's a leader regardless just for who he is and how he conducts himself, he's an example in that regard. I just don't like a captain that throws his hands in the air every time he doesn't get the ball, not for me and not for a lot of people I'd think.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm sick of this garbage. Grow up.
If I was a scout I would like this. Well said newbie. Nay, you deserve your name to be used. Well done Herman Toothrot. And a fine name it is too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Maguire had better tournament than most world class players in Europe. Definitely deserves our trust.

If Ronnie helps our younger attackers to be more sharper we should just offer him coaching job in 3-4 years.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Does Maguire captain's armband make him a greater player than Ronaldo ?

stevoc

I believe Legends at theirs peaks doesn't walk alone.

EtH

Yes. And he should always get first turn when the lads play “Duck duck goose”

Bondi77

If a professional footballer needs to be led than he has issues

BerryBerryShrew

Maguire had better tournament than most world class players in Europe. Definitely deserves our trust.

If Ronnie helps our younger attackers to be more sharper we should just offer him coaching job in 3-4 years.
I'm pretty sure Ronaldo has said that he doesn't plan on coaching/managing when his playing career is over.

Also, if he did change his mind he would immediately walk into a full managerial position (eg. with the Portuguese national side) rather than having to earn his stripes behind the scenes.

Varane around town

I don't care who actually wears the armband. I just want our team to have numerous leaders and now we do. With Maguire, Ronaldo and Bruno we've got three leaders who are going to be starting for us. Which is exactly what you want.

Strats

If a professional footballer needs to be led than he has issues
A lot of professional footballers need leadership on the pitch, especially young ones.

The leadership and standards set from players like Ronaldo and Cavani to the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Amad and Elanga could have huge importance for their careers.

+ Lingard

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Hardly against Soton or Wolves to be fair. And that’s Bruno for you, without penalties or games like Leeds he’s usually completely invisible and hardly captain material.
1) You’re talking shite.
2) I never said he should be captain, just he is a leader and has added immeasurably to our team since his arrival. The OP suggested only Ronaldo can do that. He is also talking shite.
3) dear sweet Jesus do any of you people actually like/watch football?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Captain's Armband gives +3 leadership, +2 communication and -2 in hot headedness.

Don't see any reason to give that to Ronaldo rather than Maguire

Brophs

The One and Only
As soon as I see Ronaldo spark out a copper during a sun holiday then I’ll start seeing him as captain material.

Bondi77

A lot of professional footballers need leadership on the pitch, especially young ones.

The leadership and standards set for from players like Ronaldo and Cavani to the likes of Rashford, Greenwood, Amad and Elanga could have huge importance for their careers.

+ Lingard
They need to man up quick smart then!

Herman Toothrot

I thought the cult of Jose on here was bad, but the cult of Ronaldo taking over again is exhausting.
Innit.

I'm excited, I have hopes that don't tally all that well with reality, but give Ronaldo the captaincy? Why not rename the stadium and make him chairman?! It's mental, it's absolutely mental. There was some fan boy on here the other day claiming that if Ronaldo were to fail, it would be a failing of Manchester United football club and not a player aging out at an age most players have already aged out by. It's mental. It's unreasonably mental, it would be unreasonably mental of an eight year old and I was an eight year old with a Manchester United scrapbook with cut outs of match reports from the MEN.

I hope and kinda think Ronaldo will do well, but some people here need to be sat down and told the awful truth, that one day, Cristiano Ronaldo will stop being good at football, will have to retire and will eventually go on to die like everyone else.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No. He’d be behind Maguire, Shaw, Varane, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani. Ronaldo is not that guy.

Hardly against Soton or Wolves to be fair. And that’s Bruno for you, without penalties or games like Leeds he’s usually completely invisible and hardly captain material.
Jeez, this is possibly the wrongest thing I've seen on this forum in the last 24 hours. "Without the games when he scores a hat-trick he's invisible" :lol:

And even if you hadn't mistaken the concept of captain for the concept of goalscorer you'd still have to be borderline blind to say that Bruno is invisible and not captain material. He single-handedly raised the standards across the team after he arrived. Dunno what else you could ask of a captain.

Strats

They need to man up quick smart then!
Fred will lead them all.

On a serious note, once Varane properly settles I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be seen as leader within the squad. Absolute Rolls Royce of a player and is calm as feck.

Our true great leader.