Does today show that our defense isn't reliant on our keeper?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
More to do with the defense - of which we saw two sides in the match.

A lot of talk recently about how De Gea is the player of the season and has been bailing us out this season. However, our defense, once again, has shown just how competent it is. I mean, we've two wingers playing as fullbacks, holding their own against a very potent Liverpool front three. and a center back starting for the first time in 5 months. We completely shut them down in a half where we outplayed them going forward and in a second 45 where we were more reliant on the team as a whole.

I'm of the opinion that we'll defend in a manner that does encourage our opposition to take pot shots from outside the penalty area, however, we'll command our box more often than not. Liverpool had 10+ shots and many of them came from outside the box and barely threatened across the entire game. I'd say our defenders are very good, if not some of the best in the league. Looks very likely that this will be the third season in a row where we'll concede less than a goal a game.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Today shows what difference one wc defender can do for defence. Bailly is a beast. With him others have confidence. For example smalling was great today.

Web of Bissaka

Our defense department have been splendid this season, except the few costly mistakes which are highlighted a lot.

When they are on song, no need to rely on De Gea too much.

When they have their off days, it's then time for De Gea to be relied upon.

Still, having both a WC keeper and good defend team mates at the back is reassuring for everyone, for our defenders knowingly if they messed up, either other defenders can cover or De Gea to save.

Edit: A WC potential defender playing today like he owned the pitch also helps mind.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Today shows what difference one wc defender can do for defence. Bailly is a beast. With him others have confidence. For example smalling was great today.
In open play, he was good. Lost Van Dijk every single time.

Kag

No. It's just further evidence that our defence is generally very good. There's been some recent mistakes, but by and large it's been one of the most solid in European football for a period of over two years now.

Minimalist

Shows it doesn't have to be.

You're having memory problems if you don't remember the amount of world class saves Dave has made this season though.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Good point - It certainly helps. Although those who argue that we are totally reliant on DDG will probably never admit otherwise.

AndyJ1985

Our defence is reliant on De Gea bailing them out when our defence doesn't have Bailly in it.

Nick7

Go back a month or two and people were over the moon that De Gea wouldn't be our player of the season because he hasn't been tested as much as previous. We had a cagey couple of games but haven't been reliant on him all season.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

You're having memory problems if you don't remember the amount of world class saves Dave has made this season though.
That's not my point and I haven't forgotten. I've seen a lot of posts criticising our defense and stating that we've only conceded 35, 29 and 23 (30 games) goals in the past three seasons because of De Gea.

DeOddi

The reliance on De Gea is a bit of a myth this season. We only had to rely on him for the last 1 or maybe 2 months when our defense didn´t perform to its usual standards. Apart from that he usually only had to save lots of crap shots from distance, because our defence didn´t let opponents get anyhting inside our box.

redpatron

not really, defensive corners is a huge issue. Without Fellani, we probably lose today as VVD was running wild on Smalling. Also, its easier to defend up 2 goals than 0-0, the defense was really nervous after the OG.

vangagal

De Gea had full hand on Bailly's OG but unfortunately it went in. BUt you will always get games like this. Nothing to do for GK only for a couple of decisive moment. Our defence has improve but saying De Gea is a non factor on it is wrong i guess.

Web of Bissaka

Bailly and a disciplined midfield.
Yes, whole midfield including Mata who is excellent today defending, and our other attackers who drop back to help, even Lukaku at times drop to cover Sanchez in certain moments. Attitude and efforts by players are awesome. Have to also give credits to our coaches for drilling in the defensive structure and training all our players.

Thisistheone

Agree. Dave could have put his slippers on today.

Bailly being back is huge, though. What a player.

A-man

After the two goals, the whole team plays defence the whole match. This is not how you can play if you concede an early goal for example. I think the midfielders have been absent in the defence many times, but today they all participated, even the forwards. Classic Mourinho football.

Lentwood

Not that shocking that when our best defender plays our defence looks better! We've played with our 4th and 5th choice CB for large parts of the season (depending who you think they are!) - how many other top clubs could do that and have our defensive record?

EyeInTheSky

More to do with the defense - of which we saw two sides in the match.

A lot of talk recently about how De Gea is the player of the season and has been bailing us out this season. However, our defense, once again, has shown just how competent it is. I mean, we've two wingers playing as fullbacks, holding their own against a very potent Liverpool front three. and a center back starting for the first time in 5 months. We completely shut them down in a half where we outplayed them going forward and in a second 45 where we were more reliant on the team as a whole.

I'm of the opinion that we'll defend in a manner that does encourage our opposition to take pot shots from outside the penalty area, however, we'll command our box more often than not. Liverpool had 10+ shots and many of them came from outside the box and barely threatened across the entire game. I'd say our defenders are very good, if not some of the best in the league. Looks very likely that this will be the third season in a row where we'll concede less than a goal a game.
I think that pool did not shoot allot today and typically rely on Salah to run into the box and score. They overplay at times as well. DDG would have had to make more saves had they tried to be more direct. They are the epitome of one-man team. Keep Salah quiete and they struggle big time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Every time we have a double 6 pivot, we look solid as a unit.

People say it's because Bailly was in, but had Bailly played against Spurs, where we had Pogba and Matic in midfield, he'd have been just as exposed as Jones and Smalling in that game.

McTominay and Matic were fantastic, and didn't allow Liverpool to play their combinations through the middle.

Treble

One game can't prove anything about DDG's value to the team. Defence was excellent though. Liverpool didn't create a single clear cut chance.

el3mel

Bailly is the difference. He turns our defense from just good to immense.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Today shows that our defense wasn't reliant on our keeper today.

Watching games this season, plus the stats, shows that our defense has been reliant on DDG's excellent form this season.

I'm not sure why people are trying to fight the narrative. It is what it is.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Every time we have a double 6 pivot, we look solid as a unit.

People say it's because Bailly was in, but had Bailly played against Spurs, where we had Pogba and Matic in midfield, he'd have been just as exposed as Jones and Smalling in that game.

McTominay and Matic were fantastic, and didn't allow Liverpool to play their combinations through the middle.
Bailly's better than Jones though. Scores better OGs too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

It's all relative though. Have we seen any more world class saves from DDG than we have, say, world class passes from De Bruyne or goals from Kane?

Walters_19_MuFc

Bailly's better than Jones though. Scores better OGs too.
That's another discussion. What I'm trying to say is, he had better protection than Jones did against Spurs.

Smalling and Lindelof looked solid against Chelsea. They had McTominay and Matic ahead of them.

Nick7

Today shows that our defense wasn't reliant on our keeper today.

Watching games this season, plus the stats, shows that our defense has been reliant on DDG's excellent form this season.

I'm not sure why people are trying to fight the narrative. It is what it is.
The last couple of months, yes. All season? No way. But I suppose football fans do have famously short memories.

Kapardin

I said yesterday that Jose had fixed us last season in this aspect and the only reason why we reverted to De Gea as our Lord and Savior was because of Lindelof getting a lot of games with Jones and Smalling, Bailly being injured and Matic's performances dipping in some games due to playing every minute.

Bailly is back, and suddenly we are rock solid. Right personnel means the system will also be perfect and we will have no great dependence for de Gea under Jose. LvG in contrast was merely clueless.

Loublaze

ATLien
Smalling was also great against Chelsea and MOTM against Crystal Palace. Bailly has nothing to do with his current form.

In open play, he was good. Lost Van Dijk every single time.
Lost him twice yes but won several other aerial challenges.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
That's another discussion. What I'm trying to say is, he had better protection than Jones did against Spurs.

Smalling and Lindelof looked solid against Chelsea. They had McTominay and Matic ahead of them.
I'd argue we looked much more solid today but of course, different day - different game.
Still, I think it was at least somewhat down to Bailly. He's just much more aggressive than Lindelof, a few steps quicker to the action, which is a lot for a central defender. Makes a massive difference.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I have zero confidence in this game despite Liverpool being in much better form, I still think we'll lose it and I'm kinda glad I'm having an operation on Friday so will most likely still be in hospital and therfore manage to avoid it all.

If I had to take a guess on how the game will go. Liverpool will dominate, and have loads of shots - but Houdini De Gea will save them all as usual as the man clearly isn't human, and United will nick a undeserved goal, probably from Juan Mata. And Mourinho will then say it was all planned yada yada. Without De Gea I'd be certain LFC would smash you off the park, but the guys unreal and should be the highest paid player at the club without any shadow of a doubt, he's the difference between finishing top 4 and 10th, that's how good I think he is and how poor United are without him, but why I think you'll win with him. 2-1 to United, the 1 will be a Salah converted penalty.
I guess you miss stats about how many shots United concede per match, as well as Dr Gea leading the shots saved statistics by a country mile. Your defense is gash and it's made to look good by a genuinely top class keeper. I don't watch United often you're right, but I can still think of about 5 fairly recent matches you'd have lost if not for him and last season there were even more. The dude is responsible for you being in second place, with (is it Romero your back up?) in place I'd bet my savings account you wouldn't even be in the top 4. If LFC had De Gea we'd be miles in front of everyone barring City. That's how much of a difference a world class (probably best in the world) keeper can make and we're stuck with Clown 1 and Clown 2.

Keep a good eye on the keepers tomorrow and I bet you De Gea stops at least one goal going in that a lesser keeper wouldn't save, and I'd not be shocked if ours is solely responsible for letting one in.

You can't be that blinkered you think Smalling, Jones and Lindelof would have such a good goals conceded record this season if they had someone like Cech or Mignolet behind them surely? You'd have lost to Palace in your most recent match alone if not for the Spaniard so be going into this match 3rd, you'd have lost at Anfield earlier in the season so you'd be 4th, did he make a few screaming saves at Arsenal when they had the better of the game, and one against Chelsea when it was finely balanced? Add the other matches he's gotten you out of the shit and you'd potentially be battling Arsenal and Burnley for 6th place.

I'm all for defending your team, but I for one am honest enough to admit my own teams failings, our keepers are shite, we have one decent defender and very mediocre centre mids and without our blistering frontline we'd also be battling for 5/6th place. You should also be able to admit without De Gea you'd be screwed cos you can't play pragmatic or park the bus football successfully with a dogshit keeper unless you've got quality Defenders, and Bailly aside all of yours are Stoke level, no better than Lovren or Klavan who are also dogshit. Mourinho should worship De Gea, the guys kept him in a job so far and carries the rest of the so called world class players on his shoulders.

I'm sure there'll be some nerdy site out there that compares how many points are earned rather than lost by a keeper saving with a worldie or games lost by keepers letting in things they shouldn't and I'm also sure De Gea would be front and centre on that list for saving United a lot of points, probably at least 10pts each season. It was only today I read yet another article about Pogba not performing, and De Gea got mentioned in that for papering over cracks. Nicol and Burley were talking about it the day after I made my post, it's kinda common knowledge he's papering over the obvious cracks that other folks can see with United, so many skilled individuals that don't play as a team as yet and De Gea is the glue keeping it from falling apart. Once you bin Mourinho that team will show its true potential I'm sure cos he definitely isn't getting the best out of them, like the narcissist he is he's only interested in adding things to his own personal CV and will bore his way there which means not taking risks. With the talent at your disposal you should be blowing teams away and not reliant on a once in a generation keeper to bail you out of tight games you realistically shouldn't be getting out of 3rd gear in.

Our resident Scouser don't think so.

Brightonian

The reliance on De Gea is a bit of a myth this season. We only had to rely on him for the last 1 or maybe 2 months when our defense didn´t perform to its usual standards. Apart from that he usually only had to save lots of crap shots from distance, because our defence didn´t let opponents get anyhting inside our box.
This. Our defence has been pretty solid all season bar a few bad games. Until recently Dave hasn't actually had much to do most of the time.