Does Wayne Rooney deserve a statue outside Old Trafford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
If Rooney breaks the goals record I would argue that he is just as deserving as anyone else out of the modern players to have a statue.

It's an incredible achievement, to be fair.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
The argument will always be does that achievement supercede the fact he tried to shit on us . I would never be happy with him having a statue. Maybe a plaque to show his achievements. It's his own fault imo because before he went on the record to question us I loved him.

izzydiggler

No chance - statues should be for people who are uniformly loved and respected.

As a complete guess, I'd say at least 50% of fans would oppose it and almost all would think there are others more worthy.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I find this idea of erecting statues for people a bit ridiculous TBH.

AXVnee7

You can't give Rooney a statue without giving the likes of Cantona, Giggs, Scholes a statue.

Rooney has been fantastic for us over the years but even players like Evra, Park Ji Sung, Ferdinand, Vidic etc have given so much to the club. We are spoilt because we just simply have too many legends to give them all statues.

Someone suggested a wall murial, this is a much more practical and realistic way to honour our heroes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No and his record is irrelevant. To me a statue consecrates a popular hero, Rooney has been a great player for us but he isn't universally loved, cherished. A nice plaque will do.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not before Cantona.
Not before Scholes - Giggs (and maybe even Neville, Beckham and ?Butt?, as we can do a class 92 statue or smth like this).
Not before Keane and Robson.

To be fair even Rio and Evra from the recent ones arguably deserve it more as they became synonymous with the club and never hide away their feeling about the club (while Rooney always was and still is an Everton fan. It's not bad to remain a fan of your childhood team, probably the opposite, actually, but I don't think that he ever felt anything strong regarding Manchester United)

devilish

So you'd take down the statues of Busby, the trinity and by that respect maybe the clock. What about the trophy cabinet and stands named after great managers?
They are all parts of our success afterall.
The clock should remain. The trinity well, Sir Bobby is the closest player (with Scholes) to deserve a statue but there's also a drunkard stuck in there somewhere who certainly does not. Sir Matt was a great manager but its more about sentimentality rather then on his ability. I mean he's not even the best manager United had and lets face it, he did his share of damage by overstaying/messing in our club's business at his later years. I would also keep SAF's statue. He's the single most important person United had ever had. For most neutrals SAF=Manchester United

All I am saying is that we've got too many memorabilia at OT. Imagine us if we won as much as Real did. You wouldn't be able to walk in Manchester with all the statues, stands and BS around it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The clock should remain. The trinity well, Sir Bobby is the closest player (with Scholes) to deserve a statue but there's also a frigging drunkard in there somewhere who certainly does not deserve a statue. Sir Matt was a great manager but its more about sentimentality rather then on his ability. I mean he's not even the best manager United had and lets face it, he did his share of damage by overstaying/messing in our club's business at his later years. I also agree that we keep SAF's statue. He's the single most important person United had ever had.

All I am saying is that we've got too many memorabilia at OT. Imagine us if we won as much as Real did. You wouldn't be able to walk in Manchester with all the statues, stands and BS around it
Shut up.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The clock should remain. The trinity well, Sir Bobby is the closest player (with Scholes) to deserve a statue but there's also a drunkard stuck in there somewhere who certainly does not. Sir Matt was a great manager but its more about sentimentality rather then on his ability. I mean he's not even the best manager United had and lets face it, he did his share of damage by overstaying/messing in our club's business at his later years. I would also keep SAF's statue. He's the single most important person United had ever had. For most neutrals SAF=Manchester United

fecking hell.

There's something that makes a United fan. I don't know what it is but it just means more than what you constantly show. "A drunkard" FFS.

devilish

As said I am not a big fan of statues. For some reason it reminds me of some communist regime were people are idolised with statues, monuments etc.

Billy Blaggs

Not before Cantona.
Not before Scholes - Giggs (and maybe even Neville, Beckham and ?Butt?, as we can do a class 92 statue or smth like this).

To be fair even Rio and Evra from the recent ones arguably deserve it more as they became synonymous with the club and never hide away their feeling about the club (while Rooney always was and still is an Everton fan. It's not bad to remain a fan of your childhood team, probably the opposite, actually, but I don't think that he ever felt anything strong regarding Manchester United)
I'd go Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham

Scholes over Giggs. That's madness.
I'd say do a walk or wall of fame if you absolutely had to do away with status. But remembering the past and telling your kids and letting them see the iconic players is a major part of the magic of Manchester United

devilish

fecking hell.

There's something that makes a United fan. I don't know what it is but it just means more than what you constantly show. "A drunkard" FFS.
Well that exactly what Best was. If it wasn't for his talent he'll be a worst version of Ando. What a waste of talent. If someone like Gaz had that talent he would be winning ballon d'ors year in year out

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No. Certainly not given the fact that he whored himself to our bitter rivals in order to gain a hefty wage increase. The likes of Giggs, Cantona, Scholes, Keane, Neville and Robson are far more deserving of such an honored tribute.

Djemba-Djemba

Cantona should be the next one to get a statue.

He's the most iconic player we've had in the last what? 30/40 years?

devilish

I'd go Giggs, Sc

Scholes over Giggs. That's madness.
I'd say do a walk or wall of fame.
If it was for me I'd have two statues and that's it. SAF and Busby. Maybe Id add a third statue for Eric Harrison, the genius behind the academy that produced all the talent between Hughes and Brown. That's all

Since we've got the trinity, then I presume its only fair to do the class of 92 trinity too with Gaz, Giggs and Scholes. At least all of them actually bothered coming to the training on time

Last edited:

devilish

And you didn't have a humanoid form(I presume), you'd be an ape. Everything else is in line.
I am not arguing about him being a top player. However he certainly doesn't deserve a statue. No person who prefer booze and women to the club and who constantly came late for games/training deserve that.

I say the same about Maradona who was a better player then Best was

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Cantona puffing his chest out after an improbable goal
A rug-chested Giggs twirling his shirt around his head
Keano standing over Inge Haaland snarling and swearing

All iconic images worthy of a statue. But Rooney? Nah, not for me
Now that would be a statue worthy of standing next to Best, Law and Charlton.

Something along the lines of this;

prath92

Not before Cantona.

ferdinand grew up supporting liverpool and played 4 years for Leeds. Is that any better than supporting Everton (a club in your local town)?

Billy Blaggs

If it was for me I'd have two statues and that's it. SAF and Busby. Maybe Id add a third statue for Eric Harrison, the genius behind the academy that produced all the talent between Hughes and Brown. That's all
By your design the very people that we watch are lesser than the guys that put a team together. While I applaud great management I go to watch the great players.

lsd

The Oracle
Giving Rooney a statue is the same as Fulham giving Michael Jackson one ..

It would be a bad joke ...Rooney has done well for us simply because we have paid him well and offered him the chances to win trophies ... He has little love for us as a club and it's the same from us to him.

A marriage of convenience for both sides nothing more and as others have said there's fast more deserving players than him .

Also the statue would be more deserving of a place in our team than him at present .

devilish

By your design the very people that we watch are lesser than the guys that put a team together. While I applaud great management I go to watch the great players.
They were the brains of our success. Generals are usually the ones applauded for success and not the foot soldiers.

Since we got the trinity, I think its only fair to do a class of 92 version with Gaz, Giggs and Scholes. At least all of them bothered coming to training on time these time round.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They were the brains of our success. Generals are usually the ones applauded for success and not the foot soldiers.

Since we got the trinity, I think its only fair to do a class of 92 version with Gaz, Giggs and Scholes. At least all of them bothered coming to training on time these time round.
The trinity are our club.

You don't like Neville, Giggs or the trinity apparently.

Why do you like Manchester United?

devilish

The trinity are our club.

You don't like Neville, Giggs or the trinity apparently.

Why do you like Manchester United?

I like them all. I am not a big fan of statues and I am not a big sucker of sentimentality

And no the trinity are NOT our club, the club is far more then that. Stop being silly

Slevs

likes to play with penises
No.

Great player and all that, but the 2 transfer sagas as well as better players not getting statues means it's a no.

devilish

Welll that was my second choice after the midfield 4 of Beckham and Keane with Giggs and Scholes
We've got Busby and SAF statue. We've got the Busby's trinity so its only fair we have the same for SAF. Gaz, Giggs and Scholes won more then the trinity and unlike the trinity they were all professionals who lived only for Manchester United. They deserve their statue

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think the class of '92 should be there ahead of Rooney, because they represent a lot more than just what was done on the pitch.

Giflet

This thread answers the question.

The only people who should even be considered for a statue should have unanimous support from fans that they deserve a statue. Nobody needs to debate whether Sir Matt, Fergie, or the holy trinity are deserving of a statue. If we did, the answer would be virtually unanimous. The fact is fans are divided on Rooney, with most saying he doesn't deserve one, and I would say that answers the question then.

Reactions: Akshay

Man-United

It's sad how it has end up. I loved Wayne Rooney, but after he wanted to leave in 2010 it was never the same again, and the 2013 story on top of it. Never a legend for me and won't miss him when he quits playing. Transfer sagas has ruined it.

devilish

I think the class of '92 should be there ahead of Rooney, because they represent a lot more than just what was done on the pitch.
Also they were United kids, they won the lot and their loyalty was never put into question. If we've got to make a statue then it should be for Giggs, Gaz and Scholes

Status
Not open for further replies.