Domestic Dominance around Europe

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looking at City about to complete the first (male) domestic treble in England and being the first team to retain the League in 10 years got me thinking about just how much the leagues are dominated around Europe currently.

England: Man City, 2 in a row. Domestic treble this year.
Spain: Barcelona, 3 from the last 4 league titles. 7 from the last 10.
Italy: Juventus, 8 in a row.
Germany: Bayern, 7 in a row.
France: PSG, 6 from the last 7.
Portugal: Benfica, 4 from the last 5. Likely to be 5 from the last 6 in a few hours.
Scotland: Celtic, 8 in a row and likely in perpetuity from this point.

Netherlands seems competitive though with Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord each winning one of the last 3 Eredivisie titles.

But mostly it all seems a bit dull and predictable around the continent.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This must be the first year in a very long time (if ever) where the champions of the top five leagues are all the exact same as the previous season.

Chairman Steve

Football is a cyclical process for most countries. 10 or so years ago Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were the prestige while Spurs were the plucky underdog who had just started getting the shit together but were still regular feckups in their own way, City had just won the Euromillions but were still a mid table team and didn’t know how to spend it and Liverpool were an inconsistent team who could beat the best but then embarrassingly lose to the minnows

Now Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea are on the periphery while Spurs, City and Liverpool are the prestige. Undoubtedly it will change again a decade from now. Nothing lasts forever. The top 3 right now are going to struggle replacing their respective managers and great players they currently have, much like how Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal struggled when their great players and managers moved on.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
First team to defend the league in 10 years. The Premier League is nowhere near as predictable as it was for its first 20 years.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
This dominance will end up leading us to the super league

GuyfromAustria

England: Man City, 2 in a row. Domestic treble this year.
Spain: Barcelona, 3 from the last 4 league titles. 7 from the last 10.
Italy: Juventus, 8 in a row.
Germany: Bayern, 7 in a row.
France: PSG, 6 from the last 7.
Portugal: Benfica, 4 from the last 5. Likely to be 5 from the last 6 in a few hours.
Scotland: Celtic, 8 in a row and likely in perpetuity from this point.
Probably a lot more of the same in some other smaller countries.
Here in Austria: Red Bull Salzburg 6 titles in a row, 10 out of last 13.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Italy, Spain and France at least should work on creating a "Latin League" anyways imho. At this point they kind of need to

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Premier league has nowhere near reached the level of one-sidedness as other leagues. Bayern, Juve, PSG etc. are guaranteed to win their league and it won't even be close unlike City who won it by a single point and the PL hasn't been retained for a decade. If they win it next year then yes the PL would be heading that way.

gibers

The EPl teams wont join the super league. Makes no sense financially. The super league wont even generate the same money as the EPL as EPL money dwarfs all the other leagues by a distance and if they dominate the cl next season...

Paul_Scholes18

The swedish league is still alright. Malmö has almost started to dominate using CL money from two seasons in the group stage, but it is still even enough.

Although the gap in the league has recently increased between the top and the bottom. The big and rich teams start to grow stronger and you got 5-6 big teams around now.

Before you did feel that the small teams could often beat the big ones even away from home.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
One word. Money. iT RUINED FOOTBALL and it only benefits the rich. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Hulksmash

FFP is the big Reason why some league are becoming stale. FFP protects big clubs and limits small Clubs to catch up. Big teams getting bigger small teams becoming poorer

England is the only country who has some of Balance because they are getting insane amount of TV Money and have rich owners

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The EPl teams wont join the super league. Makes no sense financially. The super league wont even generate the same money as the EPL as EPL money dwarfs all the other leagues by a distance and if they dominate the cl next season...
Ditch the cl and have a midweek superleague... Probably fek tons more cash not a uefa comp so no ffp rules and teams can stay in their domestic leagues
12 clubs would be 22 games
Qualifying plus getting to cl final is I think 17 games ... It could easily fit into a callender

Barca, real, juve, AC, Bayern, Dortmund, psg, city, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and one or spurs or arsenal for example... Licence to print money (clubs could even control their own TV / internet streeming rights)

Paul_Scholes18

One word. Money. iT RUINED FOOTBALL and it only benefits the rich. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
That is how capitalism works in general. I guess we need to distribute the resources better. The tv deals is a start, but maybe need to get more money into the lower leagues.

Premier league still does this better than most leagues. The reason City are so good is because they have owners giving them most of the money. Without that we would be the richest club and as we see it doesn't necessary result in being that good.

gibers

Ditch the cl and have a midweek superleague... Probably fek tons more cash not a uefa comp so no ffp rules and teams can stay in their domestic leagues
12 clubs would be 22 games
Qualifying plus getting to cl final is I think 17 games ... It could easily fit into a callender

Barca, real, juve, AC, Bayern, Dortmund, psg, city, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and one or spurs or arsenal for example... Licence to print money (clubs could even control their own TV / internet streeming rights)
EPL teams wont risk thgeier 6 billion + revenue for European teams. No chance. A European super league without epl wont generate anywhere near the same interest and they all know it.

SportingCP96

Supports
That is how capitalism works in general. I guess we need to distribute the resources better. The tv deals is a start, but maybe need to get more money into the lower leagues.

Premier league still does this better than most leagues. The reason City are so good is because they have owners giving them most of the money. Without that we would be the richest club and as we see it doesn't necessary result in being that good.
Thats exactly it its insane how a club that just gets promoted to the league or a Leicester or west ham or Watford have more to spend than Ajax Porto Benfica and so on.

Honestly a salary cap like the MLS aint the worst idea.

arnie_ni

The only way i can get behind this would be if there is a promotion relegation type thing introduced.

Here in Ireland, non professional rugby is done like this:

All Ireland league (AIL)

4 leagues below that split by province.

Bottom of the AIL is automatically relegated to their respective province with top of that province going up in their place.

2nd from bottom ail then play a round Robin with the first place teams in the other 3 provinces.

Something like that would need introduced for the 5 big leagues... england spain Italy Germany France.

Start with the top 4 of each league. After the season is over, bottom 2 get automatically relegated in replace of the top team in their respective countries. 3rd from bottom go into a playoff round robin with 1st from the other 3 countries to see who goes down.

It cannot just be 10 or 20 richest teams in the world

Marnsky

Certainly. When someone gets richer, your money is less valuable because the market changes.
Do the fans even celebrate anymore ?

I think if it wasn't for mega rich owners United would of have killed the premier league.
Absolutely but then again I feel if we had been doing things right ourselves like having a structure post SAF, perhaps we won't be having this conversation.

gibers

Thats exactly it its insane how a club that just gets promoted to the league or a Leicester or west ham or Watford have more to spend than Ajax Porto Benfica and so on.

Honestly a salary cap like the MLS aint the worst idea.
Don't agree with a salary cap. Why should there be? If a league is more popular they should reap the rewards.

Paul_Scholes18

A super league and I will probably stop watching even with us involved. I like the premier league for what it is even if I am from Sweden. The champions league is great as a cup, but that is it.

Playing in both might work, but I rather have the current champions league. Changing it to 16 teams might be better and have an extra round of qualification if they wanted to change it. Big teams going out early could be fun in a way. Although that would generate less money so it would not happen. 64 teams might lower the quality too much.

SportingCP96

Supports
Don't agree with a salary cap. Why should there be? If a league is more popular they should reap the rewards.
I feel could make it more even all around and not allow the rich clubs to go so far ahead.

When I think about it as the years go by it shows how Leicester City had the greatest achievement in EPL history doing what they did in modern football.

Like I said its stupid how clubs who just get promoted have more money then clubs who are 10x there size that play in a different league.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
EPL teams wont risk thgeier 6 billion + revenue for European teams. No chance. A European super league without epl wont generate anywhere near the same interest and they all know it.
You think levy...woody... Roman and Fenway wouldn't jump at the chance... Meh let's agree to differ... And as for city I'm.pretty sure they might not even have a choice about ditching the cl

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Time for a European superleague
Regional leagues may be the way foward.

Eg Holland,Germany and Belgium.
Spain,Portgual
France and Italy
Etc.

A Portuguese Spanish league would be epic. Real,Barca,A.Madrid,Benfica,Porto,Sporting.

gibers

I feel could make it more even all around and not allow the rich clubs to go so far ahead.

When I think about it as the years go by it shows how Leicester City had the greatest achievement in EPL history doing what they did in modern football.

Like I said its stupid how clubs who just get promoted have more money then clubs who are 10x there size that play in a different league.
By rich clubs you mean the EPL?

Promoted clubs get that much because the EPL is by far the most popular league in the world.

It isn't stupid at all, the EPl is just a juggernaut.

I think now with the coaching and the added resources the EPL could become like the NBA to the point that noone cares about European competition.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't really like that, but I do things they could distribute champions league tv money in a better way. Not only to the clubs in the competition, but also reward the leagues involved and give them some of that money that they can distribute in the leagues to all clubs. That would reduce the rewards that teams from smaller leagues get by reaching the champions league.

A global club world cup going on over the seasons could be fun too. Although the travel distances would be too long I think.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't really like that, but I do things they could distribute champions league tv money in a better way. Not only to the clubs in the competition, but also reward the leagues involved and give them some of that money that they can distribute in the leagues to all clubs. That would reduce the rewards that teams from smaller leagues get by reaching the champions league.

A global club world cup going on over the seasons could be fun too. Although the travel distances would be too long I think.
I mean that works too but it was just an idea. The money in football is outrageous. You have bang average players being sold for 25M 40M and so on. Neymar cost 200M+ in what world does he cost that.

SportingCP96

Supports
By rich clubs you mean the EPL?

Promoted clubs get that much because the EPL is by far the most popular league in the world.

It isn't stupid at all, the EPl is just a juggernaut.

I think now with the coaching and the added resources the EPL could become like the NBA to the point that noone cares about European competition.
Sorry ya I meant the EPL I am watching the Sporting game at the same time of being on the forum ahah.

Umm I mean I can see that as a possibility but I still think the CL has a lot more appeal then the EPL especially for neutrals.

gibers

Sorry ya I meant the EPL I am watching the Sporting game at the same time of being on the forum ahah.

Umm I mean I can see that as a possibility but I still think the CL has a lot more appeal then the EPL especially for neutrals.
You would think that but EPL numbers dwarf every others leagues numbers including CL games. Even with the price the EPL is still the most bought and most watched. They have a hold on the foreign market.

Incredible marketing. Even when the league was trash they marketed it as "it is so tough that teams are too tired for Europe". None of that this season though :rolleyes:

The public eat it up.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You would think that but EPL numbers dwarf every others leagues numbers including CL games. Even with the price the EPL is still the most bought and most watched. They have a hold on the foreign market.

Incredible marketing. Even when the league was trash they marketed it as "it is so tough that teams are too tired for Europe". None of that this season though :rolleyes:

The public eat it up.
The EPL never was and never will be more attractive than the Champions League. At least from a football point of view. Having said that the SuperLeague doesn’t make sense to me, even worse replacing the current Champions League or Domestic Leagues without relegation.

But I agree on the marketing side the EPL looks more similar to the NBA.

Paul_Scholes18

I mean that works too but it was just an idea. The money in football is outrageous. You have bang average players being sold for 25M 40M and so on. Neymar cost 200M+ in what world does he cost that.
Yeah the money is really crazy, but it is also since there is so many supporters. We also want to see the best and thus the value goes up.

Although I think there can be some kind of decline with the way things are going. Strong historical values at club is still relevant and if all those are removed then I think fotball would see a decline on the financial sides as well.

Apart from the premier league and the swedish league I barely watch any other leagues these days. In the past I used to liked watching La Liga, Serie A and even Bundesliga.

gibers

The EPL never was and never will be more attractive than the Champions League. At least from a football point of view. Having said that the SuperLeague doesn’t make sense to me, even worse replacing the current Champions League or Domestic Leagues without relegation.

But I agree on the marketing side the EPL looks more similar to the NBA.
The EPl is as prestigious as the Cl BUT in terms of viewer ship (money drawing), the EPL draws larger numbers world wide than the Cl therefore more money.