Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If the Senate won’t convict, what’s another Article of Impeachment?
I touched on this a few pages back. I think it's the Trump/McConnell tactic.

1. Trump blocks every request for evidence and for staff depositions.
2. Democrats build impeachment case on Obstruction of Congress (they will probably have 100's if not 1000's of these by the end of the impeachment process).
3. Trump is impeached along party lines and the case is moved to the senate for trial.
4.1. Senate trial is opened by McConnell by introducing a vote on whether Trump admin has the right to block congressional subpoenas.
4.2. Senate votes along party lines that he has right to do so.
5.1 McConnell then introduces a follow up vote on whether said articles of impeachment are admissible as evidence.
5.2 Senate then votes along party lines that if Trump Admin had right to block subpoenas then they should not be discussed as part of the trial.
6. Democrats are left fighting a case with 99% of their argument just dismissed as inadmissible.
7. Republican's use the trial to gleefully mock the absolute nonexistent case for impeachment the Democrats just brought to the Senate and argue it politically motivated.
8. Media completely fails to report the full story and Republican underhand tactics and give Trump a huge bump in the polls.
9. Trump gets reelected.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

2. Democrats build impeachment case on Obstruction of Congress (they will probably have 100's if not 1000's of these by the end of the impeachment process).
3. Trump is impeached along party lines and the case is moved to the senate for trial.
4.1. Senate trial is opened by McConnell by introducing a vote on whether Trump admin has the right to block congressional subpoenas.
5.1 McConnell then introduces a follow up vote on whether said articles of impeachment are admissible as evidence.
5.2 Senate then votes along party lines that if Trump Admin had right to block subpoenas then they should not be discussed as part of the trial.
6. Democrats are left fighting a case with 99% of their argument just dismissed as inadmissible.
7. Republican's use the trial to gleefully mock the absolute nonexistent case for impeachment the Democrats just brought to the Senate and argue it politically motivated.
8. Media completely fails to report the full story and Republican underhand tactics and give Trump a huge bump in the polls.
9. Trump gets reelected.
I think this will hold until the moment polls shift the other way, when McConnell will switch his views instantly. The man is cynicism incarnate.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Trump is going to carry on telling witnesses not to appear until the Dems find a way to force them to appear. He has no reason not to, nothing is done about it so what’s the risk to him in stopping them. Shame Dems couldn’t see this happening when the rest of us could.
I don't think they re that dense. He clearly did the same related to the Mueller hearings. Though in those cases several did appear with instructions to make Dems look weak. In this case they re too afraid to even do that - which in a way I take as a positive.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

9. Trump gets reelected.
1) Volker has already resigned, testified, and turned over documents. I would expect Marie Yovanovitch, who has even more of an axe to grind with Trump & Giuliani, to do similar.

Trump will certainly try everything he can do obstruct but he is in no way guaranteed to be successful. This is especially true the further away from his inner circle you get and the more the story grows. He may be protected as POTUS but many others know they're the vulnerable ones and they'll do what they need to to protect themselves.

2) There's already ample evidence out that shows this certainly isn't a "nonexistent case". GOP Congress may end up successfully arguing that POTUS can do whatever he wants but that's really their only angle here.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Soooo, why exactly is this stuff tried along partizan channels? This is about as fair as the medieval inquisition. Such a weird country.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Soooo, why exactly is this stuff tried along partizan channels? This is about as fair as the medieval inquisition. Such a weird country.
Because they wrote the rules hundreds of years ago in a time when honourable behaviour supposedly mattered (as long as it wasn’t towards black people, women, foreigners etc). It’s complete shite and was pretty much complete shite back then too.

People reference Nixon and keep repeating bullshit about how ‘there were still honorable Republicans back then’, but it’s not really true. Even with Nixon the Repubs didn’t turn on him until it was clear he was completely fecked and they didn’t want to be dragged down with him.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Hopefully this has come directly from Volker who is going to share or has shared the messages with Schiff already.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

And there you have it. It's his OBLIGATION to look in to corruption. Funny how he's only mentioned any of this since Joe said he was running.
He has employed his son in law as the broker of peace in the Middle East. He can’t really point at the Bidens for any shit like this.

Drifter

American
I would have thought Rudy would want to keep the public in the dark.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

:lol:
Trump and the GOP will be hell bent on exposing him and hell bent on trying to discredit and intimidate him. Mainly to punish him and prevent others from stepping forward. Good move by the Dems because that’s the only way that I would be prepared to testify in front of anyone remotely connected to the GOP.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
They might as well have 'swag' written on their briefcases.

Drifter

American
Trump lawyers send letter to Congress saying they ‘won’t cooperate’ in ‘illegitimate’ impeachment inquiry

President Donald Trump’s lawyers are expected to release a letter to Congress that tells them that the president and the White House will not cooperate with their impeachment inquiry.

According to CNN,

The lawyers say in the letter that the House proceedings amount to an illegitimate investigation that is trying to overturn the 2016 election.

“The lengthy letter all but dares House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to hold a formal vote opening an impeachment inquiry into Trump, a step she has so far resisted. The letter claims Trump’s due process rights have been circumvented without a vote and that Trump has no choice but to not cooperate,” said CNN.

The letter also says that the White House will continue to refuse any subpoenas or requests for information.

Impeachment inquiries open up access to this information under the law, but Trump is playing chicken with Democrats, who have yet to imprison anyone for not complying with a subpoena.

It’s unclear how far Democrats are willing to go to enforce the laws.
That bit worries me with the Corp Dems track record.

Amarsdd

:lol: "flouted the Constitution"
This White House clearly thinks his supporters have IQs below 70, and unfortunately, most of the evidence in the past few years suggests they are correct.

The Firestarter

Just imagine if he somehow snatches defeat from the jaws of victory here. I personally will be throwing a party.

Redplane

I guess we ve now fully reached the point where Trias Politica will have to show that it works or come to conclusion it completely collapsed and the executive branch just do what it pleases, while it takes charge of another (judicial) and ignores the power of the people (congress).

I don't know how anyone can still say this isn't authoritarian behavior. This should scare every citizen/resident to the core.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Ted saying the quiet bit out loud.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55

And there you have it. It's his OBLIGATION to look in to corruption. Funny how he's only mentioned any of this since Joe said he was running.
Unfortunately many will lap it up. It's not his duty or obligation or whatever, and he should be called out on it. It is the duty of dept. of justice, law enforcement and intelligence.

His obligation, actually, is to see to it that these agencies are run without bias and undue influence. He has normalized partisanship, crooked behavior and score settling to the point where his outrageous, nonsense claims seem to make sense.

Redplane

Status
Not open for further replies.