Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There’s more chance of United winning the league this season.
Yep, I guess.

That said, I really don't understand the mindset of certain Republicans: they were clearly (and openly) against Trump until it became inevitable that he'd be the candidate. Fast forward a few years of unprecedented insanity, scandals, outrageous statements - and so forth - and they'd rather just double down and enter full, blinkered partisan mode.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Just saw a republican saying that Trump’s been treated worse than Jesus and another comparing it to Pearl Habor. I don’t remember who it was, but someone on here once said that there are no good republicans. After seeing every last one of them voting against the impeachment and weaseling their way up to the cameras to lick his boots by repeating the same buzz words over and over and completely forgetting what they thought about him originally, I must say I agree. American politics is fecked beyond words.

MarylandMUFan

So you think its acceptable for Trump to abuse the power of his office for personal and political gain?
No, I think the Dems in congress did the right thing. My comment was more along the lines of how they are setting up their run against Trump (those running for president). I almost feel like the DNC is doing the same thing they did last election by making it really difficult for the "outsider" candidates so they can prop up their puppet and it will backfire again.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think this should be a conversation.
The president blatantly abused power. You have to bring a case against him whether he is impeached or not. The way it should be seen is that Congress' hands was forced. Not about a political calculation.
It is though isn't it? He's been abusing his power since day one but they waited for something more egregious so not to waste the motion.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Saw a clip before of some of these American politicians talking.

Wow.

I mean I know ours are all Oxbridge toffs, but at least they're somewhat articulate!

Also I didn't realise how old this Nancy Pelosi was... she's got like proper slurred speech and everything. Mental.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Just saw a republican saying that Trump’s been treated worse than Jesus and another comparing it to Pearl Habor. I don’t remember who it was, but someone on here once said that there are no good republicans. After seeing every last one of them voting against the impeachment and weaseling their way up to the cameras to lick his boots by repeating the same buzz words over and over and completely forgetting what they thought about him originally, I must say I agree. American politics is fecked beyond words.
When you consider that there is such a thing as the African-American vote, Latino vote etc., the gerrymandering that goes on, the dynamic between the House and Senate, the influence of large institutions like the NRA on government policy, the refusal of politicians to call out blatant wrongdoing purely for personal preservation, the openly partisan media, and so on, I would also have to agree.

Member 39557

When you consider that there is such a thing as the African-American vote, Latino vote etc., the gerrymandering that goes on, the dynamic between the House and Senate, the influence of large institutions like the NRA on government policy, the refusal of politicians to call out blatant wrongdoing purely for personal preservation, the openly partisan media, and so on, I would also have to agree.
British politics is on the same path in those respects.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
No, I think the Dems in congress did the right thing. My comment was more along the lines of how they are setting up their run against Trump (those running for president). I almost feel like the DNC is doing the same thing they did last election by making it really difficult for the "outsider" candidates so they can prop up their puppet and it will backfire again.
Do you really think that Trump would last another FIVE years without seriously fecking things up even more so than his impeachment? I don't.

Drifter

American

Oh the irony.

Trump on Fox and Friends on impeachment in 2014

More irony

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do you really think that Trump would last another FIVE years without seriously fecking things up even more so than his impeachment? I don't.
The Republicans are making it abundantly clear that Trump can do whatever he wants. If he surives the Müller probe, survives this impeachment and gets elected in 2020 the stuff he did until now will pale in comparison to what's about to come.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
British politics is on the same path in those respects.
Nah mate. While not perfect, it's not even close. When you think that even Prince Andrew, a member of the monarchy is being called out for his relationship with Epstein and has had to take a back seat with his duties. There's no way the UK would allow the PM to get away with half the things that Trump has done.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Nah mate. While not perfect, it's not even close. When you think that even Prince Andrew, a member of the monarchy is being called out for his relationship with Epstein and has had to take a back seat with his duties. There's no way the UK would allow the PM to get away with half the things that Trump has done.
Based on an outsider looking in I would have to agree. There are enough competing powers and parties to ensure that folks are being held to account to some degree. It seems to be much more of a delicate balancing act than here - where everything is structured to promote consolidation.

GiddyUp

Is it utterly unthinkable that he may end up stabbed in the back here? Was thinking about it earlier today: a handful of Republicans can - effectively - get rid of the fecker for good. Has to be pretty tempting, you'd think, for those who were never too keen on Trump in the first place - and that's a fair few, after all.
What I gather from the people with their ears to the ground, said that if it was a silent vote in the Senate they would get to 3/4 very easily.

GiddyUp

Yep, I guess.

That said, I really don't understand the mindset of certain Republicans: they were clearly (and openly) against Trump until it became inevitable that he'd be the candidate. Fast forward a few years of unprecedented insanity, scandals, outrageous statements - and so forth - and they'd rather just double down and enter full, blinkered partisan mode.
They are getting richer while sticking it to the Libs, poor people and minorities. This is their dictator wet dream.

Amarsdd

What I gather from the people with their ears to the ground, said that if it was a silent vote in the Senate they would get to 3/4 very easily.
Based on what I've read, I think this is the case as now being the majority these R senators are in the spotlight and are dead scared on the Trump backlash. And I think this is one of the reasons Mitch and Lindsey Graham want to start the impeachment trial without setting up the process of the trial, so they can just make up rules as they go along i.e. throw out the case and say "complete exoneration". Again the irony is unbelievable having complained about the "process" all through the house impeachment inquiry.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Its fecking bizzare innit? The worst part is that a large portion of the people who voted for him are deeply religious (on the surface) and then comparing that Orange scumbag to Jesus Christ and somehow say it is worse? I guess sacrilege is fine as long as it protects their Overlord. And sure its worse than Pearl Harbor as well, where thousands died.

Republicans might as well start wearing brown shirts because they are just a few steps away from full blooded fascists.

Classical Mechanic

Can you imagine Trump in PMQs? He'd be eviscerated every week. Shame the US deify their President.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Its fecking bizzare innit? The worst part is that a large portion of the people who voted for him are deeply religious (on the surface) and then comparing that Orange scumbag to Jesus Christ and somehow say it is worse? I guess sacrilege is fine as long as it protects their Overlord. And sure its worse than Pearl Harbor as well, where thousands died.

Republicans might as well start wearing brown shirts because they are just a few steps away from full blooded fascists.
Bizarre and depressing at the same time.

Carolina Red

Staff
Christ almighty, this can’t be real or official, this has to just be some individual?
Oh, yeah, it's what a person posted to their profile... but that's pretty much the business as usual on social media around here at the moment, which is why I posted it. Just wanted to show yall how folks in Trumpland were handling yesterday's events.

diarm

It's entirely possible that once the senate cashes him a get out of jail free card he'll feel untouchable and commit even more and even worse impeachable offences.
Very true. If nothing else, it will be entertaining to see what an empowered feeling Trump can come up with!

As things stand the Democrats have changed tact. They're no longer sending it straight to the Senate for it to be dismissed by McConnell and Graham in a sham trial and Trump "TOTALLY EXONERATED" straight away.

They're going to sit on the articles of impeachment until they have a Senate trial process confirmed that will see Senate Democrats able to call all the witnesses into the trial and relevant subpoenas served for the missing documents and testimonies that Trump has blocked.

In the mean time there are cases moving up to the Supreme Court which should see Trump's blocking of subpoenas ruled unlawful which will put the likes of McGahn, Mulvaney, Pompeo, Barr and co in legal jeopardy personally along with any staffer working within any of the institutions within the executive branch who receive request for documents. The cases have moved up through the lower courts without any resistance so even with this supreme court it is unlikely that it will be overturned as it is diametrically opposed to the separation of powers defined within the constitution.

If they win this case then it's round two of impeachment articles which will be based around the Mueller investigation with subpoenas served for the underlying evidence and redacted content along with several articles around emoluments when Trump's tax returns are reviewed.

Between now and the 2020 election, there's likely to be another 3 or 4 trials with more and more evidence going on public record and Republicans up for senate reelection under increasing pressure to put on a fair trial to get it all over with.
Cheers for this. Very informative.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nice to have on record in history but ultimately will be shot down by the senate if it goes there. Integrity and morality don’t exist in politics any more. Just one side against the other and they defend their side regardless of what they’ve done.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s only 20 years since Clinton was impeached and nobody gives a shit about it.
Clinton is in the same category. No one will remember him a hundred years from now but for the conspicuous fact that he was one of a handful ever impeached.

Maticmaker

Clinton is in the same category. No one will remember him a hundred years from now but for the conspicuous fact that he was one of a handful ever impeached.
This is exactly the point, by trying to get rid of Trump, but in truth knowing they would fail before they started, the Democrats have not only failed in their coup, but have given him a free pass into history.

Its hard not to imagine that Trump will love it as he strides into the pages of American history and tells his supporters in the run-up to the next Election "see how scared they were of me they even tried to overthrow the Head of State. God Bless America."

Viewed from this side of 'the pond', it looks like the Democrats are still no nearer to countering the 'Trump Effect' than they were the day after he was elected President.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This is exactly the point, by trying to get rid of Trump, but in truth knowing they would fail before they started, the Democrats have not only failed in their coup, but have given him a free pass into history.

Its hard not to imagine that Trump will love it as he strides into the pages of American history and tells his supporters in the run-up to the next Election "see how scared they were of me they even tried to overthrow the Head of State. God Bless America."

Viewed from this side of 'the pond', it looks like the Democrats are still no nearer to countering the 'Trump Effect' than they were the day after he was elected President.
Cool story. Every report from inside the White House is that he’s going apoplectic over it and sees it as a disgusting blemish on his legacy.

But yeah it’s a failed coup. The Democrats were trying their hardest to get their man Mike Pence in the role.

Dr. StrangeHate

They can't do anything more than this. American constitution is toothless when confronted with a shameless king and his deplorable minions.

Maticmaker

Cool story. Every report from inside the White House is that he’s going apoplectic over it and sees it as a disgusting blemish on his legacy.

But yeah it’s a failed coup. The Democrats were trying their hardest to get their man Mike Pence in the role.
Yes, at this point in proceedings he is...the potential 'martyr' being sucked down by 'the swamp'; however when he is vindicated or there is found no case to answer, or whatever the verdict he will walk free into the pages of history and to continue as President.

Having overcome 'the ordeal' he will be tweeting things like "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" etc. and limbering up for the next election!

The Democrats keep throwing him the ball and he keeps knocking it out of the Park, a bit like Labour have done with Boris over here!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Impeachment and the refusal of Republicans to take it seriously is ultimately a major tool to rile and unite a fragmented democratic base. It may work and the timing for it may be just right. If it doesn't work, it's more down to the issue of the Dems having clouded the average voters minds too much with what may seem like constant persecution of Trump. Trump and Co may very well be successful in convincing swing voters that there is some truth to it when you consider how rabid everyone on the left has been about Trump. That's not to say of course there haven't been plenty of reasons to be upset about this administration (in many ways more so because of the behind the scenes dealings Trump enabled through the courts and appointments at the departments) - but it could mean the shock effect of him being impeached isn't quite there enough. It's not something that should be celebrated by anyone in a way.

We never should have gotten to this point in the first place if our governments checks and balances had worked they way they re supposed to.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Never say never. The world is going to shit if you haven't noticed.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Never say never. The world is going to shit if you haven't noticed.
True, you can never say never. But it'd take many decades and something drastic before the UK ended up like that shithole US. Can you imagine the PM saying half the things that Trump has said at his rallies, even like what he said about John Dingell yesterday and get away with it? Not a chance.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh, yeah, it's what a person posted to their profile... but that's pretty much the business as usual on social media around here at the moment, which is why I posted it. Just wanted to show yall how folks in Trumpland were handling yesterday's events.
One person doing it is bad enough. It’s so shockingly transactional how the über-right has shelved their long held, severe thumping beliefs to back this charlatan who has helped get rightwingers into judgeship positions & is trying to help break down Roe. The blind fealty is jaw dropping. Curious to see how far back this snaps when a Democrat is back in the Oval Office.

That picture is far more racially eclectic than every riser behind Trump at his rallies.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
If I'm american at best I'd not vote.

If i indeed vote it's due to trump being too much to take. You tell me this spineless democrats knew how to lead a nation?
Still have House, Senate, and local ordinances to vote on. People should still go out to vote for that at the very least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes, at this point in proceedings he is...the potential 'martyr' being sucked down by 'the swamp'; however when he is vindicated or there is found no case to answer, or whatever the verdict he will walk free into the pages of history and to continue as President.

Having overcome 'the ordeal' he will be tweeting things like "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" etc. and limbering up for the next election!

The Democrats keep throwing him the ball and he keeps knocking it out of the Park, a bit like Labour have done with Boris over here!
If you read my post above I explain why that’s not going to happen.

The Democrats aren’t going to let the senate run a sham trial with no witnesses and no subpoenaed evidence that’s simply shut down without any critical analysis.

Until they have it in writing that the trial will be taken seriously with both prosecution and defence following protocol they’re not going to pass the articles over to the senate. When they have their constitutional powers of oversight confirmed there’s going to be another glut of subpoenas and more impeachment articles to follow and Trump will have every chance to argue his case in the senate if Chief Justice Roberts is given total control over the trial. Failing that Trump will keep getting impeached and McConnell will be blocking him from clearing his name in the senate trial.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Number of MPs rebelled against the party whips on both sides during the brexit debate. Compare that to the reps who toe against party line in the US.
You mean the rebels who the Tories kicked out of their party and who then mostly lost their seats in the election where that same government were handed a massive majority? Yeah, I'm sure that's really helped convince people that rebelling is a good career plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.