Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiddyUp

They are hanging in there...see you packed in ages since!

Anyway don't worry I'm out of your hair now, off to take presents to my grandchildren.

Happy Christmas
Well if the presents make them happy that would be a real coup on your part.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Geez, tuned back into the thread with 5 pages unread, and expecting some sort of news. Yet everyone seems to be just arguing about it being a coup or not.

It is a political accountability process, which clearly isn't working because America's political system appears to be fundamentally broken as someone can be 100% unaccountable provided they hold enough seats in the senate, due to the corruption and two party system.

NWRed

He's clearly trying to wind everyone up (or he's the dumbest person on the forum). Seeing as he's figured out how to use an internet connected device it's probably the former so I've just put him on ignore.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It is a political accountability process, which clearly isn't working because America's political system appears to be fundamentally broken as someone can be 100% unaccountable provided they hold enough seats in the senate, due to the corruption and two party system.
To be fair that's nothing new
Clinton and Johnson (the two previously impeached presidents) were both acquitted in the senate

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
What it is is the chickens coming home to roost for Trump whose behaved like a dictator since he won the election.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

In their coop!

Revan

Assumptionman
Murkowski is the only really principled GOP senator there. I might see Collins doing the same cause she is up for re-election, but there is no way enough senators will pressure McTurtle to do anything right.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Murkowski is the only really principled GOP senator there. I might see Collins doing the same cause she is up for re-election, but there is no way enough senators will pressure McTurtle to do anything right.
Only takes 4 and it’s out of McConnell’s hands. A single senator can propose a blind vote which needs a simple majority to pass.

Revan

Assumptionman
Only takes 4 and it’s out of McConnell’s hands. A single senator can propose a blind vote which needs a simple majority to pass.
I don’t know if there are 4 republicans who would vote for a blind vote, and I am not really sure how stuff works there (can McConell block a vote about it, like hypothetically Pelosi could have done in the house, and I assume it can be filibustered in any case?). Anyway, Collins and Romney are all talk, and while Romney is in a very safe position, Collins wouldn’t like to allienate Trump, despite her need of gaining independents.

Precaution

Can you actually do a blind vote? If there were 30 odd repubs wanting to impeach him then wouldnt that be the easy cop out they been waiting for?

But being nobody has suggested it, i highly doubt its merits.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There are a few more imo but they may not come out since some of them are up for reelection.

Revan

Assumptionman
There are a few more imo but they may not come out since some of them are up for reelection.
Some are in blue states though (Collins and the Colorado senator), which means that with independents or centrist democrats, that vote will help. However, the backslash from Trump will probably be too big.

Which essentially leaves only Murkowski. Romney will say something on twitter but won't do much.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Some are in blue states though (Collins and the Colorado senator), which means that with independents or centrist democrats, that vote will help. However, the backslash from Trump will probably be too big.

Which essentially leaves only Murkowski. Romney will say something on twitter but won't do much.
It depends on whether McSally, Gardner, Collins et al. view remaining loyal to Trump as a better political outcome than being perceived as protecting his corruption. If there's a big enough groundswell in those states, some of them may have to capitulate. Gardner for instance, is trailing Hickenlooper in most polls in a state that is trending blue. Entrenching himself in Trumpism may not be politically beneficial to him.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It depends on whether McSally, Gardner, Collins et al. view remaining loyal to Trump as a better political outcome than being perceived as protecting his corruption. If there's a big enough groundswell in those states, some of them may have to capitulate. Gardner for instance, is trailing Hickenlooper in most polls in a state that is trending blue. Entrenching himself in Trumpism may not be politically beneficial to him.
As long as the GOP base stay behind Trump though turning on him becomes a no-win for those guys. No point pulling in a few independents/moderates if it’s going to cost you the bulk of your base in the process.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just listened to the entire speech of McConnell. He is really good at his job and a master manipulator. I think that the spin he is trying to go with is that the House didn't do a fair impeachment in the first place, and rushed it, which is a fair point. Everything was done in 12 weeks, compare it to Nixon's 14 months (before he resigned) or Clinton's impeachment. Additionally, they should have gone to the courts to force the subpoenas, instead of doing the second article in the 'abuse of power' for Trump not allowing some key witnesses (which actually can be argued is Trump using constitutional power). Essentially, the house did not do a fair trial, which allows Republicans to not do a fair trial.

I guess if they can go with this, then this will allows vulnerable Republican senators to do what McConnell says without getting repercussions in the elections.

Maticmaker

Imagine the state Trump would be in before a blind vote.
Yes, even ecstatic perhaps, as the coup may be exposed for what it is, because some Democrats (who abhor the attempt of abuse of power with the impeachment) might vote in Trump's favour... don't forget its not only Republicans who may want the anonymity/cover of a blind vote!

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Yes, even ecstatic perhaps, as the coup may be exposed for what it is, because some Democrats (who abhor the attempt of abuse of power with the impeachment) might vote in Trump's favour... don't forget its not only Republicans who may want the anonymity/cover of a blind vote!
Seriously, please just give it a fecking rest. Go change your colostomy bag or play with your grandkids or something.

Maticmaker

Well if the presents make them happy that would be a real coup on your part.
They did make them happy, thank you.

Which is more than can be said for my 'coup' theory, which I tried out on some family members... it seems we have a lot of budding/wanabe Democrats in our family.

I was made to go and sit on the 'naughty step'!

Maticmaker

Seriously, please just give it a fecking rest. Go change your colostomy bag or play with your grandkids or something.

Sorry cannot oblige ...no colostomy bag as yet, but do have a pace-maker and two titanium hip replacements though.

Play with Grandkids, well most of them not speaking to me now after I explained the coup theory. I blame the parents for their brainwashing, still as they get older they will 'wise up' no doubt!

Revan

Assumptionman
Blind vote is a really bad idea IMO. It will probably result with Trump getting removed from the office, but long term it might have disastrous consequences and essentially make very easy the removal of presidents in the future, and really lower the threshold for it. I cannot see any Republican senator voting for it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some Democrats vote against it.

Trump probably needs to be removed but it needs to be done rightly, not make him a martyr and have such long term consequences. If there is no political will to do so, then so be it, elections are just 11 months away.

Maticmaker

Now I really hope you're trolling.
I might be! If I knew what that meant?

Essential I think the Democrats have 'cocked this up'.
As others have said previously, its not a fair impeachment, the time taken of 12 weeks far to short; they should not have used the 'abuse of power' approach and instead gone to court over subpoenas (if successfully acquitted Trump can now come back on this point).

The way its been handle by the Democrats does give the impression of an... attempted coup!

Status
Not open for further replies.