5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baneofthegame

Feck me, why don't people use the same energy about other midfielders. If that performance was Scott or Fred, or that goal was conceded on their watch, they would be slaughtered. The bias is ridiculous.......
When Fred/Scott play once a year they’d have the same leniency as well. Same way people probably aren’t going to shit on Telles even though he got beaten so easily in the build up, because he never plays.

Personally thought VDB had a good game sans the WHU goal, should of got an assist for the ball for Greenwood.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not physical enough to be a midfielder in the premier league.
check his defensive stats for tonight before making stupid comments. he had zero problems physically.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
People are blaming him for the goal? He was only partly at fault. Ball was deflected into Lanzini's path anyway. If it wasn't, and he kept sticking to Lanzini and West Ham scored, people would be saying he should've covered the six yard box.

acnumber9

Partly to blame for their goal. Aside from that, probably his best game for us. Not a difficult achievement but it’s something.

Nick7

For the most part pretty decent. Some nice passes and as always some intelligent runs. Poor enough for the goal but I didn’t think it was solely his fault. Don’t think he’s good enough though, or certainly he doesn’t fit in our team.

OL29

He looked a bit more proactive today which was nice to see. I’m not completely sold on him but it would be interesting to see what level he can reach if given a run of games.

Litch

When Fred/Scott play once a year they’d have the same leniency as well. Same way people probably aren’t going to shit on Telles even though he got beaten so easily in the build up, because he never plays.

Personally thought VDB had a good game sans the WHU goal, should of got an assist for the ball for Greenwood.
It's all about opinions but sorry for me there is a clear agenda. I think he's a good player but sorry, based on that performance was average.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He looked a bit more proactive today which was nice to see. I’m not completely sold on him but it would be interesting to see what level he can reach if given a run of games.
That is the question we should be asking. This was also our second string team defence and attack.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Telles got destroyed by a simple kick and run from the West Ham wide player and Matic who was close-by in the defensive half space just gave up and jogged casually towards the evolving situation. VdB then sees that the most advanced West Ham player could be free on the edge of the six yard box due to one of our defenders (Lindelof) having to leave their space to engage the ball carrier, and tries to close the space which obviously leaves Lanzini free. Van de Beek did well in that situation and read the situation well along with Lindelof. But unfortunately The ball ricocheted off Lindelof's boot and into the path of Lanzini but the intended target for the pass was the West Ham player on the edge of the six yard box.

Matic and Telles are to blame for the goal IMO and it meant our central players then had to move out of their defensive zones which opened up space for Lanzini to score.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Partly to blame for their goal. Aside from that, probably his best game for us. Not a difficult achievement but it’s something.
I agree it was his best game. I would call it an objectively good performance. Let down by the absolute shite ahead of him. No surprise that his most creative pass of the game was to Greenwood. A pity that he was absolutely knackered by the time he had some good players around him.

EtH

Stood out tonight. Really good performance. Very pleased for him and hope it leads to more midfield chances in the CL and PL.

largelyworried

Baby steps, but definitely in the right direction. Given our paucity of options in that position I think he’s done enough for minutes in the league.

Dve

Positive performance from Donny. My hope that he eventually can form a partnership with McTominay this season is growing.

MadMike

The blame for the goal is mostly on Telles for getting megged and dribbled past. Then secondarily on Lindelof who went to close down that player who was already running out of play, only to fail to block the cutback.

It’s a bit bizarre to blame this on VDB.

Eddy_JukeZ

Better than usual.

Still not sold on him in that position, but he played alright.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Would like to see him get some more game time next to either Fred of McSauce, someone with a bit more legs. Used the ball well, and did his fair share of defensive work. So many errors in the lead up to that goal, hard to complain too much about VDBs involvement.

Dazzmondo

Badly at fault for the goal but he did some nice stuff also and grew into the game. Good pass for Greenwood's chance. Think his performance has been a bit overblown by some on here and I thought there were others who performed better still, but it was definitely a step in the right direction. Don't see any potential for a #6 position though, has to be a #8 or double pivot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Baby steps, but definitely in the right direction. Given our paucity of options in that position I think he’s done enough for minutes in the league.
Ahead of McFred and Pogba? Don't see it. Don't see him getting games ahead of Matic either

tbh I don't know now when his next minutes come, given how the UCL group is now he won't play against Villarreal and given how I expect that game to go he won't play against either leg against Atalanta either. Maybe Young Boys in the last day of the group in December?

captaincantona

for fuk sake...first 90 minutes in god knows how long in a Weakend midfield and A team that has never ever played together before. He was about as good on the ball as anyone on the pitch and his movement - along with Sancho’s and Greenwood was the reason we created so many chances. Refreshing to see the ball move quickly from him and Matic. He needs a game with McTominay as the more disciplined of the two. Give him a run in the team with Bruno, Sancho, Greenwood and Ronnie in front- he will speed us up.

RedorDead21

Was caught in possession afew times too often but to be expected with a lack of match intensity. Overall some very good passages of play came through him. 6/10 overall and unfortunately won’t have many opportunities since we went out of his best chance of gaining match practice.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In what world is VdB 'badly at fault' for this goal? Some people in this thread are bonkers :houllier:
It's actually funny because he does well in that situation and sees that Lindelof has to move out of his defensive space and he steps into it. And the pass is intended for that player in that particular space but unfortunately there's a deflection off Lindelof that falls into the path of Lanzini.

Telles and Matic's poor defensive play causes chaos for us and both are to blame for the goal IMO.

RedDevilQuebecois

It's actually funny because he does well in that situation and sees that Lindelof has to move out of his defensive space and he steps into it. And the pass is intended for that player in that particular space but unfortunately there's a deflection off Lindelof that falls into the path of Lanzini.

Telles and Matic's poor defensive play causes chaos for us and both are to blame for the goal IMO.
Pretty much. Matic and Telles are far more responsible for the goal because they were just too slow or not good enough at doing their part defensively while Donny tried to cover for them.

Overall, I really enjoyed what he showed us today. He definitely deserves another shot, preferably in a competition that matters more to us. Just like others mentioned before, let's see what he and McTominay can bring together; I prefer to see McDon in action instead of McFred.

Annouchez

People who are saying he didn’t have a good game or that he’s average are being so harsh. Yes he was at fault for their goal but he wasn’t the only one in that passage of play. Watch Fred’s individual performance against Wolves this season to remind yourselves what the alternative is. A man who is far more comfortable in our team and match fit. I feel like if Donny had Fred’s game time our team will be in a much better place.

He may of started to misplace passes and was caught in possession once he got tired towards the end but this is on Ole for not allowing him more game time since he was signed.

The problem is a lot of people expect him to come in from the cold and instantly blow us away but that’s not how football usually works.

If you are one of the people who have judged him as not being good enough today based on his error I’ll say this - Instead of focusing on his mistake/s try looking at the good he did bring to the table today and how that could benefit our team.

I thought DVB’s passing was much better and creative than Fred has shown this season. Fred is picked for his energy and tackling but I thought Donny did well in that department today for someone with such little game time.

We are stuck with our midfield options until we buy and I believe giving Donny more minutes will be extremely beneficial for us this season. If we want to start controlling games and creating more chances we have no choice but to give him a go. Fred’s passing will just never get us there.

Winrar

I, like many others, might as well be a broken record with this statement, but I would love to see him get a more solid run of games. I'm glad he's getting the chances as is.

Could he really be that much worse than Fred? He hasn't had very many, if any nervy calamitous moments and even being pressured he has kept things rolling fairly well.

MichaelRed

Aside from the mistake for the goal he was superb tonight. You'd have to be blind to blame him tonight or to say he was poor. Was also like 1 of 4 players that made a mistake for their goal too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I, like many others, might as well be a broken record with this statement, but I would love to see him get a more solid run of games. I'm glad he's getting the chances as is.

Could he really be that much worse than Fred? He hasn't had very many, if any nervy calamitous moments and even being pressured he has kept things rolling fairly well.
It entirely depends on Solskjaer. If the plan is to play direct football and get the ball quickly to the attackers without playing through midfield via trying to dominate possession against the better teams, then McFred are the way to go because they will run all game for you but we'll cede the midfield IMO.

dinostar77

Donny is to blame for leaving his man unmarked. Telles shouldn't have been beaten so easily. Rusitness and lack of match sharpness could be to blame.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Aside from the mistake for the goal he was superb tonight. You'd have to be blind to blame him tonight or to say he was poor. Was also like 1 of 4 players that made a mistake for their goal too.
People are literally only saying it because the TV pundits mentioned it.

I saw the first comments immediately after, nothing was said when the actual goal went in.

Too many armchair pundits that have no brain for themselves and just parrot what they think is the right thing.

DVB played really well today, but somehow you get some people saying he was poor or average? I think maybe they need to lay off drinking while the match is on.

MattofManchester

Should get another game and be allowed to play himself into the pivot(players need match time to adapt), but won't get it because we lost and the McFred combo will continue.

RonaldoVII

I thought he played well tonight. Wouldn't go as far as to say he was "superb" or close but he played well. Enough to get more minutes.

EtH

It entirely depends on Solskjaer. If the plan is to play direct football and get the ball quickly to the attackers without playing through midfield via trying to dominate possession against the better teams, then McFred are the way to go because they will run all game for you but we'll cede the midfield IMO.
Would like to see him paired with Fred again against decent opposition and with McSauce at least once. Although the latter would probably need to be against lesser opposition I think just to see how it works.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would like to see him paired with Fred again against decent opposition and with McSauce at least once. Although the latter would probably need to be against lesser opposition I think just to see how it works.
I'd like to see that aswell. And with Pogba playing as the Mezzala (half winger) on the left we would see a midfield of either McFred with VdB and Pogba involved in central areas in the early phase of the build up.

Pogba playing on the left is key IMO because he drops in as a midfielder off the ball which has big potential IMO for Solskjaer to work something out here.

MichaelRed

People are literally only saying it because the TV pundits mentioned it.

I saw the first comments immediately after, nothing was said when the actual goal went in.

Too many armchair pundits that have no brain for themselves and just parrot what they think is the right thing.

DVB played really well today, but somehow you get some people saying he was poor or average? I think maybe they need to lay off drinking while the match is on.
1000%

DVB did everything Fred does but better and more today. He needs to be given starts in the league.

EtH

I'd like to see that aswell. And with Pogba playing as the Mezzala (half winger) on the left we would see a midfield of either McFred with VdB and Pogba involved in central areas in the early phase of the build up.

Pogba playing on the left is key IMO because he drops in as a midfielder off the ball which has big potential IMO for Solskjaer to work something out here.
Agreed. Our first choice attackers would pounce on some of the quick, line-breaking passes he played tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.