Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Arsen Zakharyan is in San Sebastian finally. Probably official tomorrow. Real Sociedad president said that we will NOT sign another midfielder.

So VDB will NOT come to Real Sociedad, sorry. Seems that Real Sociedad wanted a loan to reduce risks, buy when United insisted in a transfer Real Sociedad decided that if we where going to do a transfer better get a jounger player.
Sounds like we fecked this one up then

Gandalf

Sounds like we fecked this one up then
Yes and no. It was going to be a loan along the lines of Telles to Sevilla last season from the sound of things with them borrowing him for a season with no real intent to keep him and with us still on the hook for 50% of his wages. Doubt it would have had any benefit for us other than potentially putting him in the window if he did well, certainly would not have done anything to generate funds for a new signing. Hopefully we can get something sorted before the window closes but anything more than a loan is probably off the table until he proves his fitness.

Red 142

Van De Beek isn't good enough for them anyway - no idea what they were smoking.

He needs a mid-table Serie A or Bundesliga club to come in for him.

croadyman

Van De Beek isn't good enough for them anyway - no idea what they were smoking.

He needs a mid-table Serie A or Bundesliga club to come in for him.
Got any suggestions because we are desperate

Alemar

So VDB will NOT come to Real Sociedad, sorry. Seems that Real Sociedad wanted a loan to reduce risks, buy when United insisted in a transfer Real Sociedad decided that if we where going to do a transfer better get a jounger player.
Not just younger. Zakharyan is a better player, he will bring many assists and some goals. But it is unfortunate that Sociedad doesn’t want to get VDB too for depth

Steve 007

Is Donny the most underperforming player ever? The whole of Europe wanted him when we signed him. Almost instantly lost his confidence/ didn’t play and even his old manager doesn’t want him. Sad times for what was a young player.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Is Donny the most underperforming player ever? The whole of Europe wanted him when we signed him. Almost instantly lost his confidence/ didn’t play and even his old manager doesn’t want him. Sad times for what was a young player.
I don't think he was actually ever very good anyway.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We’re annihilating Maguire for not moving, but VDB has been sat about not playing for much longer. Why aren’t there threads being raised about him costing us top 4 (or whatever nonsense was posted the other day)

OrcaFat

We’re annihilating Maguire for not moving, but VDB has been sat about not playing for much longer. Why aren’t there threads being raised about him costing us top 4 (or whatever nonsense was posted the other day)
Donny is almost entirely inconsequential. Impression I get is he does want to play and will happily move if anyone wants him. He went on loan to Everton after all.

elvelux

Supports
Real Sociedad
Not just younger. Zakharyan is a better player, he will bring many assists and some goals. But it is unfortunate that Sociedad doesn’t want to get VDB too for depth
Yeah, it seems so. We will see.

About signing Zakharyan and VDB. Real Sociedad in the last years try that 60% of players in the first team come from our youth academy. And there are several young midfielders from the academy that need minutes. This season we lost 2 YA midfielders and one from out of YA: Guevara, Illarramendi and David Silva. They will be covered with Zakharyan and 2 midfielders from the academy. Thats the way we do it.

In the match in Old Trafford from the last season, for example, 10 of the 15 players fielded by Real Sociedad are from our YA.

Reactions: van der star

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What a terrible signing he's been. Contributed next to nothing on the pitch and probably cost us £40m+ in the process including wages.

I struggled to makes sense of it at the time.

Pavl3n

Maguire scored against (no disrespect) Albania and went to cup his ears as if is some achievement. And that was on the back of horrible season.
Maguire also went to say something in the lines of "Whenever I played in the team, we didn't lose, we didn't concede (or just the one two goals)". He said that after making 15 appearances against the likes of Forrest, Everton, Reading and EL outcasts.
Maguire is just a delusional, unpleasant to look at, rather low IQ, daft, below-average English bloke, who still believes 80m is the fair price tag on his head.

While Donny, was injured for an entire season and has always been a humble, likeable guy. Simple as.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Not true. Even before we signed him there were reservations

Strelok

Not true. Even before we signed him there were reservations
Agree. I still remember talking to my mates quite excited about him and they told me FDJ basically did all the works in midfield and this guy was only there to do some one twos then run into the box.

Thought he was kind of Thomas Muller because of the goals but turned out he's the defintion of a nothing player. One of the worst signings in our history imo especially considering the 40m we paid for him. Even Maguire had two decent seasons, Pogba had his occasional magic moments. This guy barely played and when he played he offered nothing at all.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Incomparable. Donny has actually gone on loan to try and prove himself/earn a move. He'll be on lower wages. He hasn't turned anyone down this summer.

Giggsyking

Agree. I still remember talking to my mates quite excited about him and they told me FDJ basically did all the works in midfield and this guy was only there to do some one twos then run into the box.

Thought he was kind of Thomas Muller because of the goals but turned out he's the defintion of a nothing player. One of the worst signings in our history imo especially considering the 40m we paid for him. Even Maguire had two decent seasons, Pogba had his occasional magic moments. This guy barely played and when he played he offered nothing at all.
So FDJ not only fecked us when he refused to join us, he also made us believe DVB is prime scholes. Fecking hate FDJ.

Giggsyking

Dvb never refused a move. What are you on about?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
While I do think some are going a bit overboard with Maguire, that is hardly a good comparison. We received and accepted a decent offer for Maguire that would have allowed us to put that money back into the team, and he seemingly either refused to go or demanded an over-the-top pay-off. Meanwhile, it seems VDB hasn't had any interest other than a loan offer that we (the club) refused.

Fahad Jawaid

What a terrible signing he's been. Contributed next to nothing on the pitch and probably cost us £40m+ in the process including wages.

I struggled to makes sense of it at the time.
What i am worried about is, as a club we never learn, we may be saying the same for Mount after another year or so. Logic fails me why we signed another AM, when everybody and their dogs knew we needed a better version of Fred. It was that simple. Ten Hag has a lot to answer if we feck up the season, trying to shoehorn Bruno, Mount and Casemiro in the middle and getting overrun by every other team with no ounce of control over the game.

philippexyz

He's going to be our main cheerleader this season. No other purpose. Won't say the same about Maguire because he will play occasionally, unfortunately(God help us all).

The most pointless signing of them all. Footballer limited both athletically and technically.

kps88

I get the feeling VDB would be thrilled to leave, even to a club several levels below us. Not his fault no one wants him.

crossy1686

career ending
They didn’t, he was going to sign for Madrid but they pulled out last minute. I don’t remember there being much competition for his signing when we made the offer

OrcaFat

I think it was a big step up from Ajax. They had a well drilled team but the average quality of player was lower so that training with our guys was tougher. And in matches the opposition was stronger, faster and much harder to play against. He just couldn’t adapt.

It has happened quite often with players coming here from abroad but he was more disappointing than most.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What i am worried about is, as a club we never learn, we may be saying the same for Mount after another year or so. Logic fails me why we signed another AM, when everybody and their dogs knew we needed a better version of Fred. It was that simple. Ten Hag has a lot to answer if we feck up the season, trying to shoehorn Bruno, Mount and Casemiro in the middle and getting overrun by every other team with no ounce of control over the game.
I didn't agree on the Mount signing (I'd have gone for a more physical all rounder) but at least he has been bought with a plan in mind as a starter. He is also a proven very good PL player in his own right.

With VDB he was never going to be starter and had no stand out qualities.

Dannn411

It's turned out about as badly as I could have ever imagined. He has given us absolutely nothing since joining. It's actually quite stunning given the level he was playing at before he joined us. But nevertheless I still believe he can be salvaged but it would require for him to totally change his playing style and accept a deeper role in midfield. He likes to play super advanced with his back to goal like a striker and it is the most frustrating thing ever but I saw him in deeper roles occasionally for Ajax and in my opinion, those were the best I've seen him play. I feel like he can be useful again if deployed in a similar role here. He was a good pass and move player at Ajax and I feel like you can't just lose those qualities just because of bad form.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
That you are allowed to think.

But a player who got nominated for the Ballon d'Or is not a bad player, he is just not in the right club for him, in my opinion.
Asamoah Gyan, Theodoros Zagorakis and Luis García have also had a nomination for the Ballon d'Or in the past.

OrcaFat

I didn't agree on the Mount signing (I'd have gone for a more physical all rounder) but at least he has been bought with a plan in mind as a starter. He is also a proven very good PL player in his own right.

The modern way is to have no automatic starters. Arteta said it this week - he has built a squad where there are no no.1s in any position. EtH said something similar a couple of weeks ago. Donny would need to be at a level where he can challenge for a starting place and at least sometimes win his place on merit.

EtH said the same about the kids - they have to earn starts / minutes by performing to the required level in training and justifying their minutes on the pitch.

Donny never took his chances when he got them. Some people say he should have been given more chances but he wasn’t doing enough to earn them.

croadyman

Which physical all rounder would you have liked to seen us bring in this summer then

Pronewbie

Peep

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Donny has been a failed signing, but is a likeable player. Maguire has ruined his rapport with the fans by coming out with 'nothing to prove' nonsense and other delusional, self-vindicating tripe. Given that he was captain when saying this guff has fecked most fans off. Donny hasn't said much and would gladly move given the chance imo. Maguire is staying at United solely for the money and in doing so is hindering our ability to reinvest in the squad. They're very different cases.

Pronewbie

Peep
Donny has been a failed signing, but is a likeable player. Maguire has ruined his rapport with the fans by coming out with 'nothing to prove' nonsense and other delusional, self-vindicating tripe. Given that he was captain when saying this guff has fecked most fans off. Donny hasn't said much and would gladly move given the chance imo. Maguire is staying at United solely for the money and in doing so is hindering our ability to reinvest in the squad. They're very different cases.
I've had this sneaking feeling for awhile now that some of the posts defending Maguire are either from his friends/family/associates or PR team.

Status
Not open for further replies.