Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
That's on him for not using our slender budget on what we actually need. Iie a natural 6/8.
Let's face it, we need to spend over half a billion to fix the squad, almost every position needs competition or a new signing. The issue's arise when you realise those tight bastards won't sanction anything that may impact their potential dividend payout.

tomaldinho1

And I absolutely agree mate, but I don't for one second think that Mount was his first choice, I think it was a case of Mount was available and cheap so the board sanctioned the deal because Caicedo or Rice was never going to get through the people who control the budget, especially when we needed a striker also, well we need more than that but you know what I mean.

If Mount was Ten Hag's first choice and he pushed for that signing over others then I'll be very concerned with what he thinks he can do with this squad.
I think he was worryingly from how early the links moved and negotiations started to be honest. I kind of see the profile on paper - my read of the situation is basically he can't get De Jong so wants someone mobile, technical who grafts but can also carry the ball from deep and has a good (although I am not sure it's that good with Mount) passing range. I do think Mount could start to come deeper, take the ball under pressure and be somewhat effective but the positional side of the game is the one it's so difficult to learn + it's a real risk from ETH to think he can coach that in a pre season.

Anyway this is a VdB thread, I actually think VdB staying will be a decent cup player for us. If there's ever a manager to get him back to what he was it is ETH and he's not a major issue for us as he'll be sold for peanuts and won't allow us to sign others (unlike McT or Maguire)

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seriously, what's the fecking impasse? They thought they were getting someone else and Donny showed up? Whatever it is, just make it happen, loan with an obligation if necessary.
That's what the likely impasse is. They don't want an obligation, while we do.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I feel like he would do very well in a league with more time and space on the ball. Also one less physically demanding. He has intelligence on and off the ball but he is a system player who is a level below the requirements to be a success in the premier league. A return to Holland would obviously be a good start to him, but I also think we could do very well in a league like Portugal or the Bundesliga.

His asset value is next to nothing, because it’s clear we have no intention to play him and he is completely surplus to requirements. He should be allowed to move for a nominal fee so he can get his career going again. Selling him for a low fee, say 7-10m euros with significant performance related addons and a sell on clause, seems the way forward.

He could also have value in a move for a potential target in Portugal or Germany as a trading chip. Either way, he is going to a mid table team in a lower league and we’ll have to take a massive haircut on any fee to offset the reduction in wages he’ll get. Even if he’s “only” on 100k a week here, for a midtable BL team, he can likely expect 40-50k a week. By reducing the fee by 2-3m euros and giving him a significant signing bonus, the buying club can keep their wage structure intact.

It’s essential we move him and Maguire on. Remnants of a failed era, and important in setting the new standard moving forwards. It also gives us the chance to bring in a new midfielder, which with the injury to Mainoo, we definitely need.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Let's face it, we need to spend over half a billion to fix the squad, almost every position needs competition or a new signing. The issue's arise when you realise those tight bastards won't sanction anything that may impact their potential dividend payout.
Our present problem is that we've spent too much and spent badly.

We aren't Chelsea or City; we will get banned to the full extent if we breach any rules.

Redlyn

We can't really say it's due to a lack of spending though. We wasted the first billion and are now looking for another half a billion. No other club in world football is that rubbish at transfers and wages. I don't really want write of mount as he is young but it's grim as we already know what the player is like. I hope he can find a way to make that transfer worth it. Newcastle didn't take a minute to catch up with just a little spending.

crossy1686

career ending
We can't really say it's due to a lack of spending though. We wasted the first billion and are now looking for another half a billion. No other club in world football is that rubbish at transfers and wages. I don't really want write of mount as he is young but it's grim as we already know what the player is like. I hope he can find a way to make that transfer worth it. Newcastle didn't take a minute to catch up with just a little spending.
We wasted a billion over 10 seasons and persisted with mistakes because we'd spent the money. Sunk cost fallacy. We've seen other clubs do the same but get rid of their mistakes and spend again. Spending money badly is the price you pay for not being organised and leaving your transfers up to an investment banker playing Football Manager.

Newcastle have bought well but they've moving players on much better than we are, we saw this when City first got bought. Bring some players in at your level to take you to the next then move them on quickly if it doesn't work or they aren't trying anymore. We're sitting here with VDB and Maguire still waiting for their chance to prove they're shit all over again. These players wouldn't still be at any of our rivals or Newcastle.

Redlyn

We wasted a billion over 10 seasons and persisted with mistakes because we'd spent the money. Sunk cost fallacy. We've seen other clubs do the same but get rid of their mistakes and spend again. Spending money badly is the price you pay for not being organised and leaving your transfers up to an investment banker playing Football Manager.

Newcastle have bought well but they've moving players on much better than we are, we saw this when City first got bought. Bring some players in at your level to take you to the next then move them on quickly if it doesn't work or they aren't trying anymore. We're sitting here with VDB and Maguire still waiting for their chance to prove they're shit all over again. These players wouldn't still be at any of our rivals or Newcastle.
:yawn: At bolded. So I can't say the problem is lack of spending. It's more bad management. It's just been wasted for the most part. I mean just look at exhibit A our massively expensive mega contract wingers Antony and Sancho. Its a really sad state of affairs. In any case you are right, we need loads more money for the title challenge. I just don't have any trust that it will be well spent this time either.

Redstain

Better ownership model and better people in the hierarchy at those clubs. United realistically could of got 70M for Mctomminay, Maguire and DVDB. The longer these players stay the more their value will deteriorate. It's really poor from the club, the Maguire situation is somewhat understandable.

Stacks

Sounds like our issues are in selling as well as buying. In every chart we are at the top of gross and net spend bar one. So why do we need another 0.5 billion and not everyone else when we have already outspent them?

Paul778

And I absolutely agree mate, but I don't for one second think that Mount was his first choice, I think it was a case of Mount was available and cheap so the board sanctioned the deal because Caicedo or Rice was never going to get through the people who control the budget, especially when we needed a striker also, well we need more than that but you know what I mean.

If Mount was Ten Hag's first choice and he pushed for that signing over others then I'll be very concerned with what he thinks he can do with this squad.
Mount would work fine but it relies on all the rest of the team knowing their roles and responsibilities in the team without thinking. Playing a high pressing transitional style without significant constant work from the front three will fall flat on it's arse.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I actually wouldn't trust the manager with that money as its his call who we go for generally speaking

Highfather_24

Our club has a problem with selling players that no one wants on lower prices. They think somehow keeping them for another year, which blocks us from buying players we need, while their value plummets further, is a better idea. Feck me, this club will make me bald.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
That would be Mount.
How are these even comparable?

Mount is a proven commodity in the PL for a top 6 club, versatile and scheme-proof.

VDV came from a much poorer league and is a system player bought for a system that didn't exist.

RedorDead21

How are these even comparable?

Mount is a proven commodity in the PL for a top 6 club, versatile and scheme-proof.

VDV came from a much poorer league and is a system player bought for a system that didn't exist.
Possible mount had a system at Chelsea that suited him just like Mata did….we need to stop buying players that need 30 ducks to align before the can make a single tackle during a game….mount made zero on his debut…I mean…on the one day in your life you want to impress…you’re not playing well which happens to the best…but not even a tackle…he’ll come good I’m sure but that’s pathetic and lazy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Possible mount had a system at Chelsea that suited him just like Mata did….we need to stop buying players that need 30 ducks to align before the can make a single tackle during a game….mount made zero on his debut…I mean…on the one day in your life you want to impress…you’re not playing well which happens to the best…but not even a tackle…he’ll come good I’m sure but that’s pathetic and lazy.
Mount has shone under several different managers, so that kind of puts the whole 'he's a system player' out of the window a bit.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Disgraceful signing of a nothing player who hasnt got one stand out quality.

Its a rare feat to be among this clubs worst decisions this last decade, but Donny manages it.

Woziak

Our present problem is that we've spent too much and spent badly.

We aren't Chelsea or City; we will get banned to the full extent if we breach any rules.
That’s because over a 3 year period our owners do not put money into the club, they only take it out !

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
That’s because over a 3 year period our owners do not put money into the club, they only take it out !
We don't need them to put money in, we need to not spend 10s of millions extra on players than they're actually worth.

Brightonian

There's no chance of that though, Mount isn't what we needed to improve the midfield, he should be backup and there's no way to fix the issue of VBD or McTomminay because they're not good enough, Eriksen can't play 90 minutes if the game is intense or we play twice a week.

We need major investment, like half a billion spent on the midfield and forward line. There's no way around it and a manager like Pep would be throwing tantrums right now if this is what he had to work with.
Toys, say goodbye to pram.

Josep Dowling

I remember watching him in the Champions League thinking what a great player he was. Never been given a chance at United. I’ve always been interested to see him in Bruno’s position but injuries have got in his way.

Gandalf

I remember watching him in the Champions League thinking what a great player he was. Never been given a chance at United. I’ve always been interested to see him in Bruno’s position but injuries have got in his way.
The bolded is just not true. He has had chances, maybe not as many as he would have liked but that is part of playing for this club, you don't get an endless run of games to show something you have to show something pretty much right away. Donny has produced a number of performances in midfield where he has at best been invisible and at his worst has actually cost us games. He had half a season under his mentor last season before he was injured and even then he could not produce anything to suggest he is good enough for the PL let alone a team wanting to challenge for the title.

Judas

Open to offers
Imagine genuinely thinking this lad has been hard done by with chances, utter nonsense. Blokes been a ghost practically every time he’s stepped on the pitch, and that’s being kind.

Putting all banter aside

The bolded is just not true. He has had chances, maybe not as many as he would have liked but that is part of playing for this club, you don't get an endless run of games to show something you have to show something pretty much right away. Donny has produced a number of performances in midfield where he has at best been invisible and at his worst has actually cost us games. He had half a season under his mentor last season before he was injured and even then he could not produce anything to suggest he is good enough for the PL let alone a team wanting to challenge for the title.
He played over 60 matches for United. The whole 'not been given a chance' narrative is ridiculous when it comes to VDB. Had his chance, not good enough, needs to move elsewhere ASAP to save his career.

elvelux

Supports
Real Sociedad
Sociedad don’t need him anymore, they are buying a top talent in Zakharyan
Arsen Zakharyan is in San Sebastian finally. Probably official tomorrow. Real Sociedad president said that we will NOT sign another midfielder.

So VDB will NOT come to Real Sociedad, sorry. Seems that Real Sociedad wanted a loan to reduce risks, buy when United insisted in a transfer Real Sociedad decided that if we where going to do a transfer better get a jounger player.

Status
Not open for further replies.