Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxquux

If we can sell him back for Fred fee of 10+5 it would be a success
Suspect it'll be a loan-to-buy, so we won't get much (or anything, except a loan fee that goes back into us making up the wage difference) up front...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What does that even mean? Did we put a gun to Ajax' head and force them to raise the price? I know we've got a good relationship with them, mostly due to van der Sar, but why are you getting so upset that I called them cnuts? It's really not that serious. Take a look at their sales to us over the last couple of years. I know they don't owe us anything, but these fees are way too high considering bigger talents like Kudus and Timber are going for much less.

van de Beek - €40m (2020)
Martinez - €60m (2022)
Antony - €95m (2022)
Blind - €18m (2014)
Blind, VDB were deemed fair value at the time. Martinez was worth every penny and Antony was down to our own uselessness in the early part of the window.

They're not putting a gun to OUR head and forcing us to pay. You're a bit overly sensitive if you want to call them cnuts, just calling it out.

Hughes35

Hes honestly one of those players that I can't understand how he gets money to play football.
Other than being lean and somewhat physically fit he's nothing.
He's just a total con
I think the same about him..I see nothing special in him whatsoever.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pretty sure he’s only joking chief!
Ajax screwed millions out of us last summer, only fair to do the same if they want DVB back. ;)
They didn't screw us into anything. We screwed ourselves by waiting too long to sign Antony.

And there's no chance they suddenly want donny to the same degree we wanted Antony.

El-Manos

They didn't screw us into anything. We screwed ourselves by waiting too long to sign Antony.

And there's no chance they suddenly want donny to the same degree we wanted Antony.
They 100% overcharged us there is no 2 ways about it. I’m pretty sure that poster was joking anyway

philippexyz

We really financed Ajax through the last couple of years. Heavily overpaying for Antony plus buying a footballer who wrongly chose his profession(Donny Van de Beek) - should've been a teacher, doctor, accountant, whatever. Just not a footballer. Martinez is good, at least.

They should be grateful and must be laughing their asses off of our incompetence.

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Dude, they basically doubled the price before we agreed a deal or we would have signed Gakpo too.

You’re taking a lighthearted throwaway comment far too seriously.

zaafi

Blind, VDB were deemed fair value at the time. Martinez was worth every penny and Antony was down to our own uselessness in the early part of the window.

They're not putting a gun to OUR head and forcing us to pay. You're a bit overly sensitive if you want to call them cnuts, just calling it out.
Let's be real. van de Beek cost as much 3 years ago as Kudus is going for now. It's not a fair price. Martinez would be worth every penny if he had cost £80m. That does not mean Ajax didn't screw us over.
Your argument regarding Antony is about as useless as it gets. "We screwed ourselves by waiting too long"? Oh okay, so because we waited, that means he's worth double?

Calling me overly sensitive when this is your reaction to me jokingly calling them cnuts while demanding €70m for DvB is a bit ironic, don't you think?
Seems you have a personal thing with the word "cnut" seeing as you also lost your shit on Friday when a poster, also jokingly, called Harry Kane a cnut.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let's be real. van de Beek cost as much 3 years ago as Kudus is going for now. It's not a fair price. Martinez would be worth every penny if he had cost £80m. That does not mean Ajax didn't screw us over.
Your argument regarding Antony is about as useless as it gets. "We screwed ourselves by waiting too long"? Oh okay, so because we waited, that means he's worth double?

Calling me overly sensitive when this is your reaction to me jokingly calling them cnuts while demanding €70m for DvB is a bit ironic, don't you think?
Seems you have a personal thing with the word "cnut" seeing as you also lost your shit on Friday when a poster, also jokingly, called Harry Kane a cnut.
Ajax didn't screw us over. They had a price and we were in a bidding war with Arsenal for Martinez. What do you expect Ajax to do, not sell to the higher bidder? :lol: and you're talking about useless arguments?!

Also you can cherry pick examples all you want but Kudos actual market value is probably higher than the agreed fee, in many ways it's a red herring. But VDB at the point we bought him was more established and had just as much of a hype for different reasons, your memory is just ill served.

You clearly also can't remember the Antony saga. It was reported he was available and they even gave us deadlines before the negoriarions would get difficult since they were leaking players and needed to plan ahead. We came too late in the window and had to compensate them more.

Anyway broader point being, we have an excellent relationship with them. They're a well run club and for you to call them cnuts shows how sensitive you really are. It's not even like VDB plays for us enough and you actually think we can play hard ball :lol:

zaafi

Ajax didn't screw us over. They had a price and we were in a bidding war with Arsenal for Martinez. What do you expect Ajax to do, not sell to the higher bidder? :lol: and you're talking about useless arguments?!

Also you can cherry pick examples all you want but Kudos actual market value is probably higher than the agreed fee, in many ways it's a red herring. But VDB at the point we bought him was more established and had just as much of a hype for different reasons, your memory is just ill served.

You clearly also can't remember the Antony saga. It was reported he was available and they even gave us deadlines before the negoriarions would get difficult since they were leaking players and needed to plan ahead. We came too late in the window and had to compensate them more.

Anyway broader point being, we have an excellent relationship with them. They're a well run club and for you to call them cnuts shows how sensitive you really are. It's not even like VDB plays for us enough and you actually think we can play hard ball :lol:
There was not a bidding war for Martinez. Arsenal put in three bids for him, the first one was £26m, and their last one was around £35m. Ajax reportedly valued Martinez at £43m, but as soon as they found out we were interested, they would not sell him for less than £58m. Strange, huh?

What about Jurrien Timber? One of the most talented defenders they've had, while also being versatile enough to play left-back and right-back was sold for an initial £34m with bonuses rising to £38m.

I understand the Antony part and that they needed to look for a replacement, but nearly doubling their initial asking price from €50m to €95m is screwing us over. How can you even be in denial? There's not a single poster that will agree with you here.

It was quite obviously a joke. Funny how other posters managed to see that, but you're unable to. Brain still asleep.

Last edited:

Plastic Evra

I think clubs can have good working relations, some more than others, I don't expect that to mean they won't shake you for every penny given the opportunity.

Ajax would be a good place for VDB. Don't expect they'll take him for more than 7m€. Maybe more than that as I tend to undervalue... 10-12 perhaps.

ThanksBoss26

I think clubs can have good working relations, some more than others, I don't expect that to mean they won't shake you for every penny given the opportunity.

Ajax would be a good place for VDB. Don't expect they'll take him for more than 7m€. Maybe more than that as I tend to undervalue... 10-12 perhaps.
If we still owe some installments on the fee, not sure if that can also be taken into account and would reduce the price. Assuming they are ultimately interested of course.

zaafi

That would be one of the worst deals we've ever done. He's not a lost footballer. He's a 26 year old midfielder who's been a bit unlucky and just not good enough for a top Premier League club. I think we should loan him out to increase his value and sell him next season.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
No concrete talks between Ajax and United at the moment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There was not a bidding war for Martinez. Arsenal put in three bids for him, the first one was £26m, and their last one was around £35m. Ajax reportedly valued Martinez at £43m, but as soon as they found out we were interested, they would not sell him for less than £58m. Strange, huh?
As soon as 2 big premier league clubs with big money were interested, they were able to set a higher price. That's how selling works. There is nothing cnut like about that.
What about Jurrien Timber? One of the most talented defenders they've had, while also being versatile enough to play left-back and right-back was sold for an initial £34m with bonuses rising to £38m.
What about him? He stayed a year more than what they initially thought. They were resigned to him leaving long ago. Hes also not as good as Martinez and Arsenal had a free run at him.

I understand the Antony part and that they needed to look for a replacement, but nearly doubling their initial asking price from €50m to €95m is screwing us over. How can you even be in denial? There's not a single poster that will agree with you here.
Not a single poster will say we didn't overpay. I agree with that. But Ajax made their stance crystal clear and they lost their manager, key players and on top of that couldn't plan beyond Antony in sufficient time. They aren't cnuts for asking to be compensated for that :lol:

It was quite obviously a joke. Funny how other posters managed to see that, but you're unable to. Brain still asleep.
My brains not asleep, cnut is a strong word that is rarely used in jest and more with serious emotion. Not sure where you're from but it's pretty much the worst word you can use in England.

Plastic Evra

That would be one of the worst deals we've ever done. He's not a lost footballer. He's a 26 year old midfielder who's been a bit unlucky and just not good enough for a top Premier League club. I think we should loan him out to increase his value and sell him next season.
Haven't done anything of note in 3 years and a big injury, that's not lost yet but on its way to there. Plus huge doubts now it was a case of the system flattering the player rather than off the charts individual talent.
A loan (outside the Premier League) that would hopefully build his mojo and value back is the best move. His remaining amortization value is -supposedly- of 8m£ next year, which makes it easier to move him without a book loss.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Maybe loan him to someone like Everton to increase his value!

CM

We would pay €5M max, ain't no way we're paying more than that.
You just paid a lot more for a player who has never played a professional game of football from Man City!

zaafi

As soon as 2 big premier league clubs with big money were interested, they were able to set a higher price. That's how selling works. There is nothing cnut like about that.
Arsenal didn't want to go any higher than their valuation, though. Ajax simply refused to sell to us, despite the fact that their own valuation was much lower than the fee we paid for him.

What about him? He stayed a year more than what they initially thought. They were resigned to him leaving long ago. Hes also not as good as Martinez and Arsenal had a free run at him.
He is considered a bigger talent than Martinez. None of us could see how good Martinez actually would be in the PL. You even had some that were writing him off for being too short despite not even playing a game for us, which is laughable. £34m for one of the bigger defender talents they've had is cheap. They just know that Arsenal don't bend over like our negotiating team does.

My brains not asleep, cnut is a strong word that is rarely used in jest and more with serious emotion. Not sure where you're from but it's pretty much the worst word you can use in England.
Is it really? I'm Norwegian and it's used in different ways here, but not to the degree you say it is in England. In Australia, it's used as a compliment. On my time here, I've mostly seen it used in a mild, jokingly manner, so what you say doesn't really add up. Do you approach your fellow match goers and ask them what the feck is wrong with them if they shout cnut to an opponent?

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
You just paid a lot more for a player who has never played a professional game of football from Man City!
Apart from this being completely irrelevant in this discussion, it doesn't matter because he's a class player. Very nice buy, super happy with him.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
If the minutes he played yesterday are a glimpse of what he can do we'll gladly pay it again in the future.

CM

If the minutes he played yesterday are a glimpse of what he can do we'll gladly pay it again in the future.
Maybe, the point is United definitely won't sell van de Beek for €5m. Ajax themselves bought Klaasen back for over €10m having flopped at Everton, and that was a few years ago so the market has inflated even further since then.

Apart from this being completely irrelevant in this discussion, it doesn't matter because he's a class player. Very nice buy, super happy with him.
See above. It was as relevant as you saying Ajax won't pay more than €5m. Van de Beek's existing book value is more than that so there's no discussion to be had at that price.

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
Maybe, the point is United definitely won't sell van de Beek for €5m. Ajax themselves bought Klaasen back for over €10m having flopped at Everton, and that was a few years ago so the market has inflated even further since then.

See above. It was as relevant as you saying Ajax won't pay more than €5m. Van de Beek's existing book value is more than that so there's no discussion to be had at that price.
Alright then I would say try to flog him for more, you probably won't get any club paying more than 5 million

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Should be looking at selling him straight up. None of this loan business with option to buy.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I've already called 3 memebers of my family a cnut today. It's not really a bad word outside of some 80 year old's and a few pearl clutchers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've already called 3 memebers of my family a cnut today. It's not really a bad word outside of some 80 year old's and a few pearl clutchers.
Guessing you're not from London

Dominant

Someone’s having a mare here. Fighting some pseudo self righteous forum battle for Ajax against fellow fans, and getting so triggered by the word “cnut”. Take a chill pill, seriously.

OrcaFat

Should be looking at selling him straight up. None of this loan business with option to buy.
Yeah, sell him to anybody who’ll buy him. Get a few quid if we can but, for sure, get him out and let him get on with his career.

Brophs

The One and Only
This modern trend of oppo fans coming on here to negotiate players’ transfer fees is in no way weird at all.

lex talionis

The c word is used a bit too often here, thus depriving of it any real meaning even in cases when the accusation is fully deserved.

Red71

Alright then I would say try to flog him for more, you probably won't get any club paying more than 5 million
Haha, pretty funny when I think about how Ajax reacted when VdB was sold to us…posting photos of him as a kid “Please look after our Donny, he’s a special, special boy etc…”. Now he’s available again, Ajax fans “Feck that Donny, he ain’t worth €5m!!! The club won’t want him anyway, good luck selling that bum!!!”. Ahh, the fickle fan!

Status
Not open for further replies.