Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hozierstanks

I recall there was one game, where he played in central midfield, maybe came on as a sub, and he was really fired up and just everywhere and linking all the play. In that cameo he looked absolutely immense - does anyone recall the game and have a highlights video?

(other than that he's been absolutely useless, he has literally ghosted us)
I think it was a european game, we were losing and he came on played amazing passes to everyone but we still lost anyway.

dinostar77

I recall there was one game, where he played in central midfield, maybe came on as a sub, and he was really fired up and just everywhere and linking all the play. In that cameo he looked absolutely immense - does anyone recall the game and have a highlights video?

We are the wrong playing style for him as a player. Spainish football would suit him better especially at a club where he will start all the time and rebuild his shattered confidence.

I know hes been awful, but i struggle to recall a signing as expensive as him not given half a dozen back to back 90mim games to get rhythm and confidence into his game.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Watford away. 45 minutes in his entire time here. Yet people still argue he’s better than Fred and Mctominay. Weird how none of his managers or those in charge of signing players at clubs agree.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
i struggle to recall a signing as expensive as him not given half a dozen back to back 90mim games to get rhythm and confidence into his game.
Exactly. It’s no wonder he looks terrible when he isn’t getting a decent run of regular minutes. It’s truly bizarre the way he has been handled by the club.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Exactly. It’s no wonder he looks terrible when he isn’t getting a decent run of regular minutes. It’s truly bizarre the way he has been handled by the club.
Has he played since his knee injury? If he hasn't, I just can't possibly see how he is expected to continue his career, it's an awful catch 22

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He played a bit during preseason - emphasis on a bit.
It just makes no sense that he hasn't gone on loan, surely Utd would facilitate that to achieve some kind of resale value next year. Even if they covered 90% of his wages it would make speculative sense.

bosskeano

doesn't understand the logic is this kid staying and not leaving on loan

crossy1686

career ending
Has this guy just given up on being a football all together? He can't get a game here, when he does get a game he doesn't try, he get's the offer to go elsewhere and he think's it's below him so he won't even talk to them.

Guess we need to hope Madrid come back in for him if he's ever going to leave.

Red00012

I honestly think he will come good this season.
bite go on bite

BarstoolProphet

Watford away when Ole got the sack.

Pronewbie

Peep
Some of our players seem to have that air of unjustified arrogance to them.

Reminds me of a SAF quote:
Don't ever think you're above a challenge. It's not right. Arrogance is not a quality, it's a hindrance to success.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Pound for pound probably one of our worst signings ever. Usually even the bad signings have a few good moments but he has done absolutely nothing

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't even try in training? Maybe he's as timid and doesn't assert himself, just like he doesn't in the games?

Ole, Ralph and now the manager that gave him a place in the Ajax team, all have refused to pick him. In case you've forgotten, it's within the managers best interests to win football games and they pick teams accordingly to achieve that. If he's not being picked, it's because the managers believe's he's counter productive to winning games, not that they hate him and don't want him to be a good player.

It's truly bizarre that he seems to get better the less he plays for us by some people on here, and it's even more bizarre how he himself has handled his big chance at a top club.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Maybe, just maybe, he doesn't even try in training? Maybe he's as timid and doesn't assert himself, just like he doesn't in the games?

Ole, Ralph and now the manager that gave him a place in the Ajax team, all have refused to pick him
. In case you've forgotten, it's within the managers best interests to win football games and they pick teams accordingly to achieve that. If he's not being picked, it's because the managers believe's he's counter productive to winning games, not that they hate him and don't want him to be a good player.

It's truly bizarre that he seems to get better the less he plays for us by some people on here, and it's even more bizarre how he himself has handled his big chance at a top club.
If that was the case Erik would know that from Ajax, and would have shipped him the moment he arrived. Not everything is black and white, there’s more going on here than meets the eye.

The rest of your post is just weird. Good rant though….

crossy1686

career ending
If that was the case Erik would know that from Ajax, and would have shipped him the moment he arrived. Not everything is black and white, there’s more going on here than meets the eye.

The rest of your post is just weird. Good rant though….
Then tell us why he hasn’t played at all when he’s been fit and this time leave out the conspiracy theories about the club being against him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's no conspiracy here. He simply hasn't been good enough.

We can question why he hasn't been good enough. Perhaps he came to England and struggled with his confidence when he found that everybody was faster, stronger and more intense. Maybe he was very much a system player in the best team in a weak league (let's be honest, he was never one of the standouts at Ajax), and simply isn't good enough to step up to a better league. Maybe it's due to his main position being the same as our most important player (and now captain), so therefore he was never going to be a regular and he isn't the type of player who can make an impact off the bench. Maybe there's something else going on in his personal life which has him in a bad mental space which has impacted his game. Maybe a combination of multiple of those.

At the end of the day the result is the same. He hasn't been good enough, therefore he rarely gets picked. Even when he went to Everton he had a good first game then was distinctly average before getting injured.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I think Lorient could have been a good experience for DvB. Unfortunately, they suffer from a huge lack of exposure. In Ligue 1, there are 6 or 7 clubs battling for european spots, then the rest fights for relegation and plays a rather negative style of football, just like my team who parks the bus every game. Lorient is the only team in that lot that actually tries to play good football, they are well ran despite being in a tiny city with a low budget and their coach is very good.

Plastic Evra

I think Lorient could have been a good experience for DvB. Unfortunately, they suffer from a huge lack of exposure. In Ligue 1, there are 6 or 7 clubs battling for european spots, then the rest fights for relegation and plays a rather negative style of football, just like my team who parks the bus every game. Lorient is the only team in that lot that actually tries to play good football, they are well ran despite being in a tiny city with a low budget and their coach is very good.
Shots fired at all the Breton clubs.
To be fair the Merlus are on a "don't get relegated immediately" mission and are hiring a bunch of players and gambles (B.Mendy...), maybe not the most guarantees of plays though also an opportunity to become a key player. Also always had a good reputation in both their football and player development.

Not the most glamourous place but would have been better than Galatasaray for his profile.

Last edited:

flappyjay

Some of our players seem to have that air of unjustified arrogance to them.

Reminds me of a SAF quote:
Don't ever think you're above a challenge. It's not right. Arrogance is not a quality, it's a hindrance to success.
They mismanage their careers and then point the finger at someone else.

Plastic Evra

:lol: I don’t believe this for a second. No reports of it at all just trying to wind up a fan base that’s already on the edge.
I don't know if the timeline is correct but l'Equipe reported Lorient and MU being in contact for a loan (seemingly agreed between both clubs) 4 days ago, and the day after you have a Mirror article about his reluctance to leave. "Mid-August" seems like really stretching it and the much shorter timeline is more charitable than saying he snobbed them 2 weeks.

Abraxas

What was he thinking this summer? I don't really care whether the Lorient story is true.

The fact is he and his agent should have been pushing for every realistic and conceivable loan. Getting him out there and marketing his services. He's spent season after season doing absolutely feck all and has no real prospect of that situation remedying itself this season. So that's another season doing absolutely feck all. There should be a proactivity there to ensure that the very last thing that happens is he remains here.

Seems quite content going from a player that was a decent operator for Ajax (which indicates his true level) and a Holland regular to being an absolutely nobody in football that clubs aren't even sure whether he's a top flight footballer in a major league anymore.

The guy is a bit of a wally as far as I can see. If they'd really have pushed things forward this summer the club would likely have sanctioned a loan while paying a huge proporition of his wages, especially when it became clear nobody was taking him for a decent fee. But I can only assume they let it drift, and the clubs first priority this summer was not Donny van de Beek's departure for a crap fee or on loan, it was securing our own signings and now he's fallen to the wayside yet again. Sometimes you have to push things forward as a player or agent, the clubs priority is not neccessarily you and they can take or leave developing your situation. Pretty symbolic of Donny really, just blends into the background and nothing happens.

PieCrust

Another player just here for a paycheck. £120k/ wk to never play. Meanwhile the club struggles to find serviceable midfielders.

flappyjay

What was he thinking this summer? I don't really care whether the Lorient story is true.

The fact is he and his agent should have been pushing for every realistic and conceivable loan. Getting him out there and marketing his services. He's spent season after season doing absolutely feck all and has no real prospect of that situation remedying itself this season. So that's another season doing absolutely feck all. There should be a proactivity there to ensure that the very last thing that happens is he remains here.

Seems quite content going from a player that was a decent operator for Ajax (which indicates his true level) and a Holland regular to being an absolutely nobody in football that clubs aren't even sure whether he's a top flight footballer in a major league anymore.

The guy is a bit of a wally as far as I can see. If they'd really have pushed things forward this summer the club would likely have sanctioned a loan while paying a huge proporition of his wages, especially when it became clear nobody was taking him for a decent fee. But I can only assume they let it drift, and the clubs first priority this summer was not Donny van de Beek's departure for a crap fee or on loan, it was securing our own signings and now he's fallen to the wayside yet again. Sometimes you have to push things forward as a player or agent, the clubs priority is not neccessarily you and they can take or leave developing your situation. Pretty symbolic of Donny really, just blends into the background and nothing happens.
His conduct here is similar to how he plays his football, he never wants to take the initiative. He missed a year of football, the euros are coming up next year too. He should be obsessed with getting himself a situation where he can play.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
My name's Donny Van De Beek.
I lost three years of my life sitting on the bench.
And another year on probation program that's meant to get us off it.
But I'm good now, ready and tidy.

Ekeke

Had a good game and good goal in preseason. And has played well a few times for us before - nowhere near often enough. Mostly when he has played he's just made runs off the ball and not been found too much, but even when he was on the ball he wasnt that impressive. But my point is that he has, albeit rarely, shown he can be aggressive trying to win the ball and then play sensible passes to help us build up and he can get in the box and finish.

With another window open it looked like the end for him, but given Mount's terrible start and the overall poor midfield signings theres genuinely still a chance he could be a decent player for us. But he absolutely needs to make a big impact the next time he's on the pitch or gets the chance to start in maybe a cup game. He's starting from the bottom with the first team

kps88

Some players are more than happy to train, sit on the bench and pick up a paycheck.

fps

An astounding, borderline criminal waste of money.

We need an rvn

Reminds you of another Dutch player - bogarde - who played 12 times in 4 years at Chelsea and sat happily in the reserves / bench for 3 seasons.

difference is the guy was 30 and wanting a final paycheque whilst Donny in theory was at the peak of his career.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He was linked to Luton, should have came. He would have instantly been out main guy and actually might have been able to show the league and other managers what he's made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.