Donny Van De Beek | he stays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Then tell us why he hasn’t played at all when he’s been fit and this time leave out the conspiracy theories about the club being against him.
There's no conspiracy here. He simply hasn't been good enough.

We can question why he hasn't been good enough. Perhaps he came to England and struggled with his confidence when he found that everybody was faster, stronger and more intense. Maybe he was very much a system player in the best team in a weak league (let's be honest, he was never one of the standouts at Ajax), and simply isn't good enough to step up to a better league. Maybe it's due to his main position being the same as our most important player (and now captain), so therefore he was never going to be a regular and he isn't the type of player who can make an impact off the bench. Maybe there's something else going on in his personal life which has him in a bad mental space which has impacted his game. Maybe a combination of multiple of those.

At the end of the day the result is the same. He hasn't been good enough, therefore he rarely gets picked. Even when he went to Everton he had a good first game then was distinctly average before getting injured.
What the feck is this rubbish? Who said anything about a conspiracy? :houllier:

He was a cut-price signing by Woodward who didn’t want to splurge for Grealish.
Ole never wanted him. He was never the right fit for United, especially as his best position is Bruno’s position.
Ralfs tenure was a shambles so he couldn’t really establish himself there. He looked like he would get a run under ten Hag until his injury. Everton was the wrong loan under Fwank battling relegation.
At no point have I claimed he’s been anything other than poor.

But he’s never had a settled run in the team to establish himself, and now he’s probably behind Mount as well as Bruno. We should never have signed him, he shouldn’t have been benched for 3years, and he shouldn’t have been sent to Everton. That’s all fact and it’s all on the club. If he now won’t leave to restart his career at a lower team that’s on him, although there is every chance he still goes to Turkey.
I offered an opinion and have been jumped on as if I’m a one man fan club or something. Truth is, I don’t really give a crap! :rolleyes:

Ekeke

Reminds you of another Dutch player - bogarde - who played 12 times in 4 years at Chelsea and sat happily in the reserves / bench for 3 seasons.

difference is the guy was 30 and wanting a final paycheque whilst Donny in theory was at the peak of his career.
Not fair at all. Van De Beek wants to play for us. He just hasnt done enough to convince that he should be playing lots

Ekeke

Ole never wanted him. He was never the right fit for United, especially as his best position is Bruno’s position.
Ralfs tenure was a shambles so he couldn’t really establish himself there. He looked like he would get a run under ten Hag until his injury. Everton was the wrong loan under Fwank battling relegation.

But he’s never had a settled run in the team to establish himself, and now he’s probably behind Mount as well as Bruno. We should never have signed him, he shouldn’t have been benched for 3years, and he shouldn’t have been sent to Everton. That’s all fact and it’s all on the club. If he now won’t leave to restart his career at a lower team that’s on him, although there is every chance he still goes to Turkey.
I offered an opinion and have been jumped on as if I’m a one man fan club or something. Truth is, I don’t really give a crap! :rolleyes:
Bruno was signed as alternative to Grealish/Maddison. We never seemed likely to be in for them anytime soon after that

Trequarista10

It's true he never had a sustained run in this side, but equally he never showed anything like enough in the appearances he did get to suggest he merited a sustained run in the side.

Worth noting that the consensus on here for quite a long time was that he deserved more game time, and the mistaken belief that he had the skillset to be a David Silva/Fabregas/Modric type of player. Which I guess was a mix of hopeful projection, bad eyesight, and a conviction that all judgements made by the manager must be wrong.

SAFMUTD

Doesn't even make the bench with all the injuries. There must be something regarding his attitude even when he's not good enough we're in bare bones regarding legs.

We need an rvn

Not fair at all. Van De Beek wants to play for us. He just hasnt done enough to convince that he should be playing lots
I get why you said what you’ve said, but also hence my line that Bogarde was looking for one last pay cheque and Donny was at the peak ( or should be now) in his

the comparison was more the lack of appearances from someone who much more was expected of.

Perhaps didn’t make that clear so my mistake

im just shocked someone who looked so good in the cl / under a style by the same manager who managed him there, still can’t make it. I can’t wrap my head around it. I get if someone said the Dutch league isn’t as good, but Dutch football is good and Donnie did it for Ajax and Holland. Can’t get what changed from coming to ajax to us

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Your comment of 'Not everything is black and white, there’s more going on here than meets the eye' makes it sound like you think there was something going on behind the scenes to explain 'why' VDB never got a proper run, as opposed to him just not being good enough.

Not being Ole's first choice does not mean Ole didn't want him at all. We couldn't get Grealish so we moved on to somebody else, it's how all football clubs work. We didn't get Timber, so we moved on to Martinez. We didn't get FDJ so we moved onto Casemiro. Etc. From memory VDB said that before he signed he had a long talk with Ole and was impressed with the plan, so at that point everything was going just like all transfers do.

It's just unfortunate that when he got here he proceeded to be poor and couldn't take the step up. That was obvious when he did play, but the fact that he didn't get much of a chance strongly indicates he was just as poor in training. If somebody is poor in training and in games when they get a chance, you don't just give them a run of games unless you want to be dropping points and the manager wants to be sacked. The club and Ole in hindsight obviously made a mistake in signing him, but once he was here they rightfully treated him how his performances warranted. There was one brief period at the start of his second season where he was a bit unlucky not to get more of a chance, but otherwise he simply hasn't deserved it.

Gandalf

Doesn't even make the bench with all the injuries. There must be something regarding his attitude even when he's not good enough we're in bare bones regarding legs.
I assume he will be reintegrated once the Turkish window closes if he is still here. ETH said last week he was not in the squad because he is looking for a new club so until that resolves one way or another there is no point in using him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I 'member being shot down for saying he'd be a bad signing like most of the lightweight players we sign. It was so obvious de Jong carried that entire midfield but he got some of the credit because he popped up with a goal or an assist. People didn't actually watch his actual game, which is the standard amongst our fans who were willing to welcome Cucurella a couple of days ago.

Watching Ajax today, he'd probably walk back into that team. They looked awful.

SAFMUTD

I assume he will be reintegrated once the Turkish window closes if he is still here. ETH said last week he was not in the squad because he is looking for a new club so until that resolves one way or another there is no point in using him.
Didn't knew about that. Hopefully we can move him on permanently it's clear he won't make it here even as a sub.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We really need to do a better job of screening for mentality, ambition, and hunger when identifying potential signings.

tomaldinho1

I don't know if the timeline is correct but l'Equipe reported Lorient and MU being in contact for a loan (seemingly agreed between both clubs) 4 days ago, and the day after you have a Mirror article about his reluctance to leave. "Mid-August" seems like really stretching it and the much shorter timeline is more charitable than saying he snobbed them 2 weeks.
Yh I think it’s a classic case of pick the lowest prestige club he’s been linked with and then add the story in. We’d have heard Lorient having a loan offer accepted way before if true. I still think he’s going this window, Turkish league I reckon.

roseguy64

Yh I think it’s a classic case of pick the lowest prestige club he’s been linked with and then add the story in. We’d have heard Lorient having a loan offer accepted way before if true. I still think he’s going this window, Turkish league I reckon.
But we did know he was in talks with Lorient and multiple other named clubs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Way before what? The agreement was announced Wednesday in France.

philippexyz

He has similar question to ask himself as Maguire did. Does he want money while sitting on the bench and not playing football for two more years, or does he want to accept a possible wage cut, permanent move and play football? Maguire chose money over playing(actually he will play somehow occasionally because Varane is very injury prone, unfortunately...). What will VDB choose?

"To be, or not to be, the question is now?" :)

Plastic Evra

So he's not on the UCL list...
Antwerp probably a good side to consider. Current champions and very consistent over the 5 last seasons.
Overmars went there, I believe ? Van Bommel managing, I'm sure their tactics are Dutch flavored.

Putting all banter aside

Antwerp probably a good side to consider. Current champions and very consistent over the 5 last seasons.
Overmars went there, I believe ? Van Bommel managing, I'm sure their tactics are Dutch flavored.
Very Dutch flavored with four Dutch players and the entire staff being Dutch. And in Antwerp they also speak Dutch so quite a soft landing for him from a cultural perspective. I think on that part he never really clicked in Northern England. He's quite a rural village guy from the Netherlands who spoke (and still speaks) pretty dreadful English for a Dutch lad.

Plastic Evra

Very Dutch flavored with four Dutch players and the entire staff being Dutch. And in Antwerp they also speak Dutch so quite a soft landing for him from a cultural perspective. I think on that part he never really clicked in Northern England. He's quite a rural village guy from the Netherlands who spoke (and still speaks) pretty dreadful English for a Dutch lad.
I think some Netherlands people might take exception with the "purity" of Vlaams language :nono: Joking aside it's a good compromise to whatever ties he might have back home or in Manchester (and that's maybe a consideration before going on loan in Istanbul), in a club playing UCL.

Putting all banter aside

I think some Netherlands people might take exception with the "purity" of Vlaams language :nono: Joking aside it's a good compromise to whatever ties he might have back home or in Manchester (and that's maybe a consideration before going on loan in Istanbul), in a club playing UCL.
Haha I'm half Dutch and I speak the language fluent. Whatever some ultra Flemish nationalist will tell you, Vlaams is an accent, not a language. 99 percent of the words are identical to Dutch, they are just spoken with a different (more French) accent, you could compare it to Scottish English and English English.

Last edited:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
He would have to compete with Jurgen Ekkelenkamp for the number ten position so he should be alright. You may remember Ekkelenkamp for tackling Ronaldo in the 18/19 away match against Juventus resulting in a yellow card but also denied Ronaldo the counter attack that could've resulted in the 2-2.

RedAlert27

Needs to get his father in law Bergkamp give him extra training! Another player that we should've moved on but are lingering on to, decreasing his market value the longer we keep him. Had high expectations for him coming from Ajax, but only shown the odd glimpse of what he can do. Was unlucky not to get a bigger run in his second season. Wish him all the best

Oranges038

Do they drink Dutch Gold there too?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Haha I'm half Dutch and I speak the language fluent. Whatever some ultra Flemish nationalist will tell you, Vlaams is an accent, not a language. 99 percent of the words are identical to Dutch, they are just spoken with a different (more French) accent, you could compare it to Scottish English and English English.
So you can't understand them either?

Putting all banter aside

So you can't understand them either?
:D

To be fair, I find it hard some parts of the West-Flemish accent hard to get my head around, but I also find it hard to fully grab the Groningen accent. I guess the same counts for proper Glaswegian or Belfast-accent as well.

chocolate cloud

get rid this week. completely pointless player. waste of 40 million. another solskjaer disaster signing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
get rid this week. completely pointless player. waste of 40 million. another solskjaer disaster signing.
If ETH ever gets sacked, I am sure we can apply that equivalent. ''Another ETH disaster signing''

I am sure it works for players signed for every sacked manager barring Abramovich's version of Chelsea.

Plastic Evra

Well, it wasn't Antwerp then. The biggest names moving in that now closed Belgian mercato are Mac Allister and Hazard. Kevin and Thorgan.

flappyjay

I doubt he was an Ole signing. I think the entire window were club signings. Ole never showed a real interest in Donny, Pellestri and Amad. The likes of Sancho, Maguire are definitely his.

Brophs

The One and Only
Would he be willing to go to Saudi or would he prefer to go somewhere he might get first team football?

flappyjay

He has similar question to ask himself as Maguire did. Does he want money while sitting on the bench and not playing football for two more years, or does he want to accept a possible wage cut, permanent move and play football? Maguire chose money over playing(actually he will play somehow occasionally because Varane is very injury prone, unfortunately...). What will VDB choose?

"To be, or not to be, the question is now?" :)
I think somehow he is worse than maguire because he is messing up loans. On loan he would still get this full salary and get to play. That was the deal with lorient and he fecked it up.

Zlatattack

We need some tough love - chuck him in the reserves. It won't happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.