Donny Van De Beek / LOAN to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah but do they also have a parallel existence as the best ball playing midfielder at the club?
It's the ethereal dimension I will miss.
Just have a quick scan of the Scott McTominay thread after we beat Burnley or whoever.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Disastrous Everton under Fat Frank? I mean, there’s easier assignments. Though at least his boss knows a thing or 2 about playing in midfield

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going to feel like Piccolo once he takes off his training gear.

I can forsee a Lingard like January loan where he absolutely smashes it. Really hope it goes well for him.

Betson

Best all round that he gets this loan stint , we were never going to use him and now he has the chance to prove his doubters at the club wrong or just confirm they were right to bench him.

Whatever you really yet again have to question our recruitment , this talk of him not been physically string enough for the league. Surely that is something we would have researched and factored in before we bought him. But our recruitment policies just seem so haphazard and amateur hour-ish.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Donny's first real test.

In all seriousness, it's make or break for him.
As the saying goes, 4th time (manager) lucky?

If you cant get into a starting line-up with a Fred or McT under the past 3 managers, I am a tad sceptical if Fat Frank will be the ONE.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Deserves to be at least given a chance to earn the right to play, and hopefully he gets that on loan, has a blinder and then demands a transfer in the summer (unless we get Ten Haag)

sglowrider

Deserves to be at least given a chance to earn the right to play, and hopefully he gets that on loan, has a blinder and then demands a transfer in the summer (unless we get Ten Haag)
A 'chance'... how about 50 chances so far? I don't understand this narrative that he hasn't been given an opportunity.

Elanga had one chance and he grabbed it with the scruff of the neck.... and yet in 50 chances, all I hear is that Donnie's never been given a 'chance'? He has been insipid at best, otherwise, anonymous.
The biggest transfer disappointment in years, next to Falcao who at least had an excuse -- recovering from an ACL.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
A 'chance'... how about 50 chances so far? I don't understand this narrative that he hasn't been given an opportunity.

Elanga had one chance and he grabbed it with the scruff of the neck.... and yet in 50 chances, all I hear is that Donnie's never been given a 'chance'? He has been insipid at best, otherwise, anonymous.
The biggest transfer disappointment in years, next to Falcao who at least had an excuse -- recovering from an ACL.
50 chances?

Oh you mean when he gets called up to play and hasn’t featured apart from a few mins here and there?

Those chances?

He hasn't been give a fair chance since he was signed!

Tap

50 appearances is a disingenuous stat as most of them are 5-10 mins of game time.

sglowrider

50 chances?

Oh you mean when he gets called up to play and hasn’t featured apart from a few mins here and there?

Those chances?

So why hasn't he been given a chance then? The managers don't like him on a personal level? There is an agenda against him? Does he have bad body odour?

I think the answer is obvious but many don't seem to want to admit to it.

AFC NimbleThumb

50 chances?

Those chances?

It’s more concerning that in 100s of training sessions under multiple managers he’s failed to muster more than mostly cameo appearances despite the woes of our midfield.

Maybe it’s an agenda against him but managers aren’t obliged to play him, not being able to break into this midfield for someone renowned as versatile really is damning.

beingshe7don

It’s more concerning that in 100s of training sessions under multiple managers he’s failed to muster more than mostly cameo appearances despite the woes of our midfield.

Maybe it’s an agenda against him but managers aren’t obliged to play him, not being able to break into this midfield for someone renowned as versatile really is damning.
I think it's more to do with VDB not fitting the system than actually not being good enough. Ole and Rangnick play a system that does not perhaps jive with VDB.

Marcus

I hope he is an absolute success at Everton. All the best Donny!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
So why hasn't he been given a chance then? The managers don't like him on a personal level? There is an agenda against him? Does he have bad body odour?

I think the answer is obvious but many don't seem to want to admit to it.
Im assuming youre alluding to VdB not being good enough?

The same was said about Fred Dalot Telles, all three have proved (to some extent) that, that is not true.
Fans are too quick to label a player as not good enough.

Players can struggle to fit the system and thats what I think the core issue is.

Lets see how he fares at Everton.

sglowrider

Im assuming youre alluding to VdB not being good enough?

The same was said about Fred Dalot Telles, all three have proved (to some extent) that, that is not true.
Fans are too quick to label a player as not good enough.

Players can struggle to fit the system and thats what I think the core issue is.

Lets see how he fares at Everton.
I think he was told he needs to get stronger. Thats why he worked on his upper body strength over the last summer. But clearly, that hasn't helped. And by going to Everton, still, in the same league, I am not sure how much a diff it would make.

I also mentioned earlier that I think he isn't the most flexible player -- in that he seems to only prosper in the Ajax system. Ole's more free-flowing system doesn't suit him. Rangnick's more rigid system who we initially thought would be perfect for Donnie clearly still doesn't suit him. Maybe he's the reverse of like a Burnley player trying to fit into Pep's system.

He's taking the same path as Morgan Schneiderlin. Deemed not good enough at United and then shipped off to Everton in mid-season. Morgan didn't exactly thrive & flourish there either.

Last edited:

Woodzy

I’m going to miss having match day threads with people losing their shit over him not playing.

NoPace

Disastrous Everton under Fat Frank? I mean, there’s easier assignments. Though at least his boss knows a thing or 2 about playing in midfield
They don't have an attacking midfielder in the middle, I don't know if he'll play well but I think he'll have chances going forward, might do a Willock/Lingard and start banging them in. Allan and Doucoure behind and next to him is about as good as you can ask for mid-table in the Prem as professional hard-working types to give you a platform going forward.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

How did Elanga take the game by the scruff of the neck?

He played alright, scored a goal.

VDB also played well and scored on his PL debut.

Given chances refers to the fact he hasnt started 3 consecutive games since his signing, and only got 2 consecutive games once.

That's bizarre for a new signing. Ole did the same with Sancho.

Look at how many games Grealish got city or Malen at Dortmund without really playing all too well.

And no, 2 min sub appearances aren't chances.

sglowrider

Given chances refers to the fact he hasnt started 3 consecutive games since his signing, and only got 2 consecutive games once.

Look at how many games Grealish got city or Malen at Dortmund without really playing all too well.

Elanga gets pick again to start the next match. So that's taking his chances when given. Sancho clearly wasn't fit -- if you look at his body at Dortmund and at the start of the season at United, he was carrying a bit of extra kgs.

Why do you think Donnie doesn't get picked to start or play significant minutes by 3 managers now?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Elanga gets pick again to start the next match. So that's taking his chances when given. Sancho clearly wasn't fit -- if you look at his body at Dortmund and at the start of the season at United, he was carrying a bit of extra kgs.

Why do you think Donnie doesn't get picked to start or play significant minutes by 3 managers now?
Listen, I think he isn't good enough to be a starter for us (based on his time at Ajax and Holland). But I can't really conclude that definitely based on his non appearances for us.

Re Sancho, that's just nonsense. Ole never played many other players and signings and he's been proven wrong on more than a few. Sancho was clearly struggling with confidence after getting dropped every other game.

I'll remind you VDB was half decent at the start of his united career, only when he disappeared from the line up completely and his confidence was shot did he turn into a ghost.

Anyway even if the plan was for him to be an important squad player. You should get a couple of consecutive games, especially when you're playing decent.
This is what happens at other clubs when they sign players.

I don't rate any 3 of the managers we've had. I can conclude he's shit from watching him play, rather than having to base my opinion on the team selection of 3 nobodies.

Mr. Ant

Do we know if that offer from Crystal Palace was accepted? Because if so I think he made a mistake choosing Everton. CP play much better football and are in a much more stable place at the moment. I mean if Everton under Lampard don't pick up the form very soon they will be in a relegation battle.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Do we know if that offer from Crystal Palace was accepted? Because if so I think he made a mistake choosing Everton. CP play much better football and are in a much more stable place at the moment. I mean if Everton under Lampard don't pick up the form very soon they will be in a relegation battle.
He may have chosen Everton for personal reasons. His missus is pregnant and he can commute instead of moving to London.

Mr. Ant

He may have chosen Everton for personal reasons. His missus is pregnant and he can commute instead of moving to London.
Oh I didn't know that. That would make sense. I just hope his loan is a success as I don't like to see footballers fail. I had high hopes for him here.

sglowrider

Maybe he doesn't want to move houses? He can just drive westward instead if he played for Everton. 20+ miles commute instead of 200+ miles away in south London.... esp if its Croydon. :nervous:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Lampard will remember him from the Chelsea Ajax game where Ajax absolutely dominated Chelsea at Stanford Bridge. Donny played in a double pivot besides Lisandro Martinez that game behind Ziyech as a 10.

Really curious how Lampard will use him..

DSG

he’s played almost 1900 minutes and had 19 starts, 50 appearances plus 18 months of training sessions. He hasn’t looked great on the pitch either. The narrative that he hasn’t had chances is patently false. I suppose you can say that he doesn’t fit our system, but why should we build a system around Donny when we have Bruno, Ronny, Rashford, Sancho, etc.

Hope he does well. But he’ll never make it here.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
he’s played almost 1900 minutes and had 19 starts, 50 appearances plus 18 months of training sessions. He hasn’t looked great on the pitch either. The narrative that he hasn’t had chances is patently false. I suppose you can say that he doesn’t fit our system, but why should we build a system around Donny when we have Bruno, Ronny, Rashford, Sancho, etc.

Hope he does well. But he’ll never make it here.
I'm no defender of his performances here and I wouldn't care at all if this was a permanent transfer rather than a loan but I don't think you can rule out him finding form for Everton and our new manager feeling he is suited to what we want to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.