Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherrinford

What if Paul Pogba or Bruno gets injured. Then its Lingard or Perierra. Buying another midfielder like Van De Beek. I mean Pogba was injured for most of the season. Wouldn't suprise me if the same happened next season
It doesn’t have to. Whichever of Matic, Fred, McTominay, Ighalo, Greenwood or James could easily come in with a slight alteration to the shape or positions of certain players.

Slysi17

It doesn’t have to. Whichever of Matic, Fred, McTominay, Ighalo, Greenwood or James could easily come in with a slight alteration to the shape or positions of certain players.
So we just make do then. That's not how teams improve. Plus they are defensive mids and wingers/strikers. They will be wasted playing in those positions. Plus transfer fees will go up next season so gotta take advantage of that by signing players like Van De Beek.

sherrinford

So we just make do then. That's not how teams improve. Plus they are defensive mids and wingers/strikers. They will be wasted playing in those positions. Plus transfer fees will go up next season so gotta take advantage of that by signing players like Van De Beek.
‘Make do’? How many players do clubs typically sign in the transfer window? How many players typically make up a squad? We wouldn’t be making do any more than for any other position. Teams improve by upgrading the starting eleven.

In fact, are there stronger depth options in the current squad than whichever of Matic, Fred and McTominay miss out on a first-choice berth? I don’t think so.

Let’s say as standard we use one of those three alongside Pogba and behind Fernandes. One of the two who find themselves on the bench can directly replace Pogba in the lineup. They can also, however, indirectly replace Fernandes, by taking Pogba’s position with the Frenchman becoming the most advanced midfielder (with the configuration tweaked slightly to best accommodate the three players selected).

Similarly with the forwards, I wasn’t suggesting we just chuck one of them into Bruno’s role. Tweak the shape to more of a front two, and have Martial playing off of Ighalo or James on the left with Rashford moving up front.

Finally, there’s the new right-sided attacker we absolutely should prioritise. If we somehow manage to get Sancho, that’s yet another player who can be deployed centrally with James, then the backup, coming back in out wide.

I’m not even saying we shouldn’t sign Van De Beek. We should not be looking to bring in someone merely to take Lingard and Pereira’s squad place though.

Ziyech was bought for £38 million or so before everything went tits up. The proposed price for Van de Beek is not particularly cheap. Transfer fees surely need to actually nosedive first and football needs to return to a stable normality in terms of crowds and such before proclaiming that transfer fees are going to magically jump back up no?

Highfather_24

Rather we get Grealish for 40-45M(doable if Villa is relegated), than VDB. Proven in PL, a leader on the pitch, and can play multiple positions(as an 8, as a 10 or in left wing). When Ighalo leaves in Jan, having some one who can play off the left might prove useful because Rashford might be used a CF then.

theklr

Rather we get Grealish for 40-45M(doable if Villa is relegated), than VDB. Proven in PL, a leader on the pitch, and can play multiple positions(as an 8, as a 10 or in left wing). When Ighalo leaves in Jan, having some one who can play off the left might prove useful because Rashford might be used a CF then.
Yeah, but since they dont know if Villa get relegated, its a gamble because you might end up facing a £60-70 mill. price if they dont.

That gamble has to be weighed up against getting VdB at almost half the cost now because of no competition.

And that is probably why they are looking very seriously at what the price for him will be.

Devil may care

Carrick was an all rounder when we bought him. He was no destroyer, or exclusively an attacking midfielder void of defensive input. Over time, he was encouraged to support our build up from a deeper position but he wasn’t a De Jong-type bruiser who was in there to do one job and one job only. After Milan, we were probably the second best team in Europe in 2007 and Scholes and Carrick contributed to that; both of whom were very rounded in their skill sets.

I agree with the view that Pogba will need midfield partners who are good defensively. But that doesn’t dictate we buy players who are one-dimensional to complement. I think we’ll be buying midfielders who bring more to table, and rightly so.
Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting Carrick was a pure DM and I know back in his younger days he played a bit more as a #8, but Fergie used him as a proper holder which he'd started to play a bit at Spurs, and that was an ideal foil for Scholes who had that reckless tackling and wasn't great defensively, but it gave us a double pivot that had great defensive cover as well as two fantastic passers, right now we lack balance in the options, Fred and McTominay are both good all rounders but neither are brilliant defensively or on the ball, so neither fit with Pogba and the CM's we are linked to I don't feel have the components either.

I'm with you on not wanting a one dimensional bruiser to pair with Pogba if he stays, but I do think we should be erring on the side of defensive qualities when looking at partner options for him.

macheda14

Why would Rashford be used as a CF over Martial and even Greenwood. Also James looks a much better player coming off the left as well. If there’s one position we don’t really need reinforcement it’s the left wing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting Carrick was a pure DM and I know back in his younger days he played a bit more as a #8, but Fergie used him as a proper holder which he'd started to play a bit at Spurs, and that was an ideal foil for Scholes who had that reckless tackling and wasn't great defensively, but it gave us a double pivot that had great defensive cover as well as two fantastic passers, right now we lack balance in the options, Fred and McTominay are both good all rounders but neither are brilliant defensively or on the ball, so neither fit with Pogba and the CM's we are linked to I don't feel have the components either.

I'm with you on not wanting a one dimensional bruiser to pair with Pogba if he stays, but I do think we should be erring on the side of defensive qualities when looking at partner options for him.
It was reported in January by the likes of James Ducker that we were looking for a player that could play both the #6 and #8 role. If true that would suggest Ole is looking for a all-rounder and my pick for the role was Zakaria from Gladbach who could play the aforementioned roles and could play at CB too.

It would rule out players like Rice and Ndidi who are purely DMs for their respective clubs, which i'm more than happy with.

Devil may care

It was reported in January by the likes of James Ducker that we were looking for a player that could play both the #6 and #8 role. If true that would suggest Ole is looking for a all-rounder and my pick for the role was Zakaria from Gladbach who could play the aforementioned roles and could play at CB too.

It would rule out players like Rice and Ndidi who are purely DMs for their respective clubs, which i'm more than happy with.
I rate Zakaria as well so I'd be happy with him, and while I'd be happy to see Van der Beek added to the squad I don't think him and Pogba would work in the double pivot together. To be honest it seems so long since we saw any football there's no form to go off so we'll have to see how the various players bounce back, I think if Pogba goes it opens up the option pool, but if he's staying we need a holder IMO.

Agreed, I'm all for a DM but I want one with more on the ball than those kind of players have.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I rate Zakaria as well so I'd be happy with him, and while I'd be happy to see Van der Beek added to the squad I don't think him and Pogba would work in the double pivot together. To be honest it seems so long since we saw any football there's no form to go off so we'll have to see how the various players bounce back, I think if Pogba goes it opens up the option pool, but if he's staying we need a holder IMO.

Agreed, I'm all for a DM but I want one with more on the ball than those kind of players have.
I agree. If Ole is wanting a player who can play both #6 and #8 then that is music to my ears. A pure DM could work but I want to see more from a prospective DM when it comes to advancing/distributing play in the first phase.

Devil may care

I agree. If Ole is wanting a player who can play both #6 and #8 then that is music to my ears. A pure DM could work but I want to see more from a prospective DM when it comes to advancing/distributing play in the first phase.
Agreed, I know it's not always possible but the more players we have in the team that are comfortable on the ball, the better, as that's a big part of the modern game.

Garry Buck

This guy will either stay at Ajax another year or go to Madrid. If we sign any midfielder it will be Grealish or Bellingham.

SATA

A goalscoring midfielder. What’s not to like? Pogba for all his talent does not score enough goals for me (penalties aside). Not sure how Bruno will fare in the future games but it’s been a promising start. Fred for all his tenacity is absolute crap in front of goal

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agreed, I know it's not always possible but the more players we have in the team that are comfortable on the ball, the better, as that's a big part of the modern game.
Completely agree. Every player should help with the build up imo.

theklr

Dont remember where I read it , but a VdB signing was thought of more as a Herrera/Fellaini replacement. Not directly ofcourse, but in regards to squad depth. And it is certainly on point that we never replaced them.

Furthermore it was said that Pogba replacement would be either Graelish or Maddison, and these therefore wont happen until Pogba is sold or planned sold. So it might not be an either/or situation with VdB.

Highfather_24

Why would Rashford be used as a CF over Martial and even Greenwood. Also James looks a much better player coming off the left as well. If there’s one position we don’t really need reinforcement it’s the left wing.
Because Martial cannot play every game. When Ighalo leaves in Jan, we will have these 5 first team players for the front 3

Rashford, Martial, RW(hopefully Sancho), James and Greenwood. If Martial is injured, we will have just 18y old Greenwood as the striker. If we got Grealish not only would he be a terrific backup/competion for Bruno and Pogba, he would be able to play off the left wing. So if Martial is out we can field a front 4 like this :

Sancho--Bruno--Grealish
-------------Rashford

And have the likes of James and Greenwood as backup/subs.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If Villa gets relegated and we spend 40m on Grealish we'd be breaking the transfer record in championship for a squad player in Covid 19

Skeezix

Saw some matches of him in the Champions league, his movement and touch were superb and was always a goal threat. For a moment i thought he was playing as a CF/Striker or a 2nd Striker/No 10 (like Mueller).
I don't know how he will fit into our team though, provided Pogba stays. Our priority in midfield should be ad DM, i.e Matic's replacement.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Asides from Zakaria who else fits the criteria. We've been linked with Grealish and VdB but they are both 10s and 8s not 6s

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Those are great options but I think we should be looking for a back up that can still compete like Zakaria. Because I think Bruno Pogba and Fred would be our trio
Zakaria wouldn't be a back up in my view. He'd likely be one of the most important cogs in our team.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
With Matic and Mata without contract next season, Hannibal Mejbri still a young unproven teenager then I think buying a high quality prospect like Van de Beek is probably the most sensible transfer we can do inside €40m to strengthen our midfield.

From what I can see he has everything we’re looking for in that area. Back up to Bruno. Can play as a b2b in a double pivot formation and is tactically schooled from probably one of the best academics in the world. Not much of a downside if you ask me.

tomaldinho1

I really don't think he's that good - would rather Van Beek any day of the week. I see Grealish in that David Bentley at Blackburn type category (not saying they are the same type of player) but they would be the go-to player at their club, they score some great goals and produce some memorable moments - the team is almost entirely reliant on them for creativity - but I don't think he's elite level. Add in the fact he still is doing stupid stuff off the field and he's worth the risk.

DVB for me is the opposite, there's nothing really that flashy about him but he is consistently good, works hard, is technically good, scores goals, gets assists and is generally one of those all round 8/10 every week players. A bit like what Klopp has turned Wijnaldum into - just does everything to a very high level.

Dante

Average bang
Sancho--Bruno--Grealish
-------------Rashford
If those players were in the front 4, I think it's more likely that Rashford would stay on the left and Grealish would be deployed as a false #9. It's a system that would suit all 4 players, imo.

Highfather_24

I really don't think he's that good - would rather Van Beek any day of the week. I see Grealish in that David Bentley at Blackburn type category (not saying they are the same type of player) but they would be the go-to player at their club, they score some great goals and produce some memorable moments - the team is almost entirely reliant on them for creativity - but I don't think he's elite level. Add in the fact he still is doing stupid stuff off the field and he's worth the risk.

DVB for me is the opposite, there's nothing really that flashy about him but he is consistently good, works hard, is technically good, scores goals, gets assists and is generally one of those all round 8/10 every week players. A bit like what Klopp has turned Wijnaldum into - just does everything to a very high level.
I'm worried about VDB's quality because he is coming from the Dutch league. I'll openly admit I've not seen him play much. I've seen Grealish play though, he is a leader on the pitch with PL experience, technically very skillful, good passer and hard to knock off the ball. A very creative and versatile player, and also said playing at OT is his dream.

Both are very good players no doubt, I'd be happy with either tbh.

If those players were in the front 4, I think it's more likely that Rashford would stay on the left and Grealish would be deployed as a false #9. It's a system that would suit all 4 players, imo.
Never seen Grealish play as a false 9, so cant really say.

croadyman

Feels very much like the majority would prefer to sign Grealish over Van Der Beek but could be wrong.

I really hope Jack doesn't go somewhere else in the prem and rip it up which I fear will happen. Would be particularly gutting if it's the scousers.

I wish there was some way of fitting both into the squad as feel they offer different things,however everything is starting to point towards it being one or the other.

kirk buttercup

Feels very much like the majority would prefer to sign Grealish over Van Der Beek but could be wrong.

I really hope Jack doesn't go somewhere else in the prem and rip it up which I fear will happen. Would be particularly gutting if it's the scousers.

I wish there was some way of fitting both into the squad as feel they offer different things,however everything is starting to point towards it being one or the other.
I prefer Donny

passing-wind

I think Grealish is the better prospect given he's proven in the league and has qualities that we lack in the midfield. DVDB excels physically but outside of that he doesn't seem a superior technical player. If Pogba hits the door we need a very competent passer to replace him, I don't think DVDB fits that profile.

croadyman

I think Grealish is the better prospect given he's proven in the league and has qualities that we lack in the midfield. DVDB excels physically but outside of that he doesn't seem a superior technical player. If Pogba hits the door we need a very competent passer to replace him, I don't think DVDB fits that profile.
I would like us to have signed Grealish but think it's highly unlikely to happen now.

He has got a real edge about him and some proper leadership skills, unfortunately I get the impression Ole sees him as a bad apple after the lockdown incident and has moved on.

Hawks2008

Feel like VDB is a smarter addition than Grealish but still prefer a deeper midfielder than either of them.

Grealish really only makes sense in a team without Pogba and still would lead to Bruno or Rashford sacrificing their game and playing in roles that aren't their best to accommodate a guy who isn't as good as them. I think VDB would be able to compliment Pogba and Bruno better, and would likely be more content with rotating than Grealish. Also think his CL experience sets him apart from Grealish who I really just get 'big fish, small pond' vibes from.

Don't think hes a priority but of the two I would prefer VDB.

theklr

is not ment to be Pogba’s replacement either, he is Herrera/Fellainis replacement.

If Pogba gets sold it will be either Graelish or Maddison we’re looking for.

At least that is whats seems like the narrative from the club

zenith

Don't see any sense in this and can't see it happening this summer. If anything, we are well stocked in midfield and may need a proper DM at max.

De Beek is a good player but he'll hardly get any playing time here. If ole continues with his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation then we will have pogba, matic, Fred and Mctominay competing for 2 two positions. Really can't see any space for another.

Besides, there are players like garner, whom ole would like to give more playing time.

Aside from all this also, his heart seemed to be set on real Madrid by all reports and would we really want a de maria redux here.

Highfather_24

Don't see any sense in this and can't see it happening this summer. If anything, we are well stocked in midfield and may need a proper DM at max.

De Beek is a good player but he'll hardly get any playing time here. If ole continues with his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation then we will have pogba, matic, Fred and Mctominay competing for 2 two positions. Really can't see any space for another.
Think he will compete for the #10 spot with Bruno, rather than the likes of Jesse/Andreas. This seems like a balanced midfield :

Pogba/Fred--Mctominay/Matic
------------Bruno/VDB

NJM78

We need one midfielder for sure after losing Herrera and to a lesser degree Fellaini. Not seen too much of VDB.

RWF is an absolute must though, I cannot stomach another season of Pereira, Lingard and Mata.

Think Pogba is staying, which is what I want plus signing Sancho would be dreamland but I just don’t see us doing that deal as I think we will miss out on CL again.

Status
Not open for further replies.