Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Tend to agree. Although Sancho isn't totally off the cards just yet as if Juve offer us 80m or so for Pogba we could probably still get him.

VDB n Sancho or keep Pogba without him signing a new contract and having to endure another year of will he won't he is a no brainer. If he really wants to go and somebody can stump up the cash then let him leave.
Yes in theory that sounds really good. The problem with this is that when the window opens, no team will come and give us £80m for Pogba straight. We will want more, they will want to pay less and it could drag for over a month.

Now, if our spending is dependent on Pogba leaving, that puts us in a position if Pogba doesnt leave, we don't sign anyone however; if he leaves 3 weeks before the close, how can we get someone of Sancho in?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are you ever going to stop presenting your opinions like fact?
Presenting them as an opinion pal. Chill out.

If we sign VDB and Sancho and don't sell any major players that's like 140m outlay when some other giant clubs are saying they won't be signing anyone. I'm connecting the dots. I'm not a fantasist.

Sancho and a player like VDB whilst keeping Pogba just doesn't feel realistic to me in the current times.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I keep hearing getting VDB or Grealish means Pogba is going. Someone explain to me how. Even if Pogba leaves and we get one of them there is still no place for them in the team because Grealish/VDB position is occupied by Bruno not Pogba

romufc

Even if Pogba leaves and we get one of them there is still no place for them in the team because Grealish/VDB position is occupied by Bruno not Pogba
How did you work this out?

Pogba is going to play as a 8 and Bruno as 10.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How did you work this out?

Pogba is going to play as a 8 and Bruno as 10.
Pogba has been playing in a pivot behind the AM. Grealish can't play there. I've heard VDB can but we would be under utilising him so why not just get a player that can fit into the pivot instead of underutilising Grealish and VdB there. Both these players are best as 10s which is Bruno's position

romufc

Pogba has been playing in a pivot behind the AM. Grealish can't play there. I've heard VDB can but we would be under utilising him so why not just get a player that can fit into the pivot instead of underutilising Grealish and VdB there. Both these players are best as 10s which is Bruno's position
I agree with that.

Personally, I do not get the links with DVB. We have been linked with Grealish and Maddison who all play in the same position. If Pogba does leave, I believe we will need a new CM and RW.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I keep hearing getting VDB or Grealish means Pogba is going. Someone explain to me how. Even if Pogba leaves and we get one of them there is still no place for them in the team because Grealish/VDB position is occupied by Bruno not Pogba
Pogba has been trying to leave for 18 months and would already be gone if it was down to his camp. He also has 1 year (plus 1) left on his deal and there's no signs of a new deal. His price is basically going to drop like a stone if we hold him for another year with no new contract. That's the issue.

If he signs a new deal then hes in the team no questions asked. I think the news we want Grealish or VDB when our midfield looks to be out strongest area right now suggests he might well be off after all.

Mainoldo

Neither Grealish or VDB means Pogba is going. No one can afford him anyway so any additional midfielder is just an extra body bonus.

Kag

Because we’re a long term injury to Bruno away from playing Lingard or Pereira every week. I think Ole looks at Fred, Matic, Pogba and McTominay and feels satisfied with his options in those deeper midfield spots - for now. This lad would provide a much better alternative to Bruno, could fill in for Pogba and is clearly versatile enough to play all about the midfield.

I hope there is truth to this because it would mean we are looking to get ahead instead of trying to catch up.

SATA

Looks like this is happening if Ajax buys his replacement before selling him. I am still not yet convinced Madrid don’t have the monies to buy him though

jamesjimmybyrondean

Because we’re a long term injury to Bruno away from playing Lingard or Pereira every week. I think Ole looks at Fred, Matic, Pogba and McTominay and feels satisfied with his options in those deeper midfield spots - for now. This lad would provide a much better alternative to Bruno, could fill in for Pogba and is clearly versatile enough to play all about the midfield.

I hope there is truth to this because it would mean we are looking to get ahead instead of trying to catch up.
This is why I want VdB too. He's a very solid back up to Bruno. I just find it strange some people think getting him means Pogba is off when VDBs best position is occupied by Bruno not Pogba

jamesjimmybyrondean

I agree with that.

Personally, I do not get the links with DVB. We have been linked with Grealish and Maddison who all play in the same position. If Pogba does leave, I believe we will need a new CM and RW.
Yes if Pogba leaves our midfield would be

......................Bruno...............

.........empty.................Fred/Mctominay.

Neither VDB and Grealish are the right fit for that empty slot which is why I don't get why some claim getting VDB or Grealish means Pogba is off. If Pogba is off his replacement should be a DM/CM. Bruno as the advanced midfielder, Fred and Mctominay as the box to box and a new DM or CM like Saul Partey etc

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the Pogba replacement is already at the club. I know many on here will disagree but in a years time, Hannibal Mejbri will emerge in a big way for a berth in the team as a #8 imo. I also believe Ole and the coaching staff will have factored Mejbri in their thinking going forward.

kirk buttercup

What type of player is he?
B2B . Full of energy , good passer , great attitude and typically Dutch with a great understanding of the game and very good positioning and comfortableon the ball , from what I have seen of him he can play in a few positions . If you were looking for a player out there that fits the mould of oles type of player you need look no further than him. IMO

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Neither VDB and Grealish are the right fit for that empty slot which is why I don't get why some claim getting VDB or Grealish means Pogba is off. If Pogba is off his replacement should be a DM/CM. Bruno as the advanced midfielder, Fred and Mctominay as the box to box and a new DM or CM like Saul Partey etc
People claim it because van de Beek has played the majority of his career as an 8. Pogba’s replacement should be a CM, exactly what van de Beek is and why he’s largely always played CM. The fact he likes to get forward doesn’t change the fact he can play CM. He’s far better defensively than Pogba for one, so if Pogba can play in CM then so can van de Beek.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

You say that like VDB isn't a CM, when by most accounts that's his best position.

-Supreme-

I think the Pogba replacement is already at the club. I know many on here will disagree but in a years time, Hannibal Mejbri will emerge in a big way for a berth in the team as a #8 imo. I also believe Ole and the coaching staff will have factored Mejbri in their thinking going forward.
This is a strong possibility.

I think Pogba will leave this summer, his camp has suddenly gone quiet which is a bit unusual, this either suggests that he is supper happy here or everything is agreed for an exit and we have instructed the buyer to keep quiet until we bring someone in. Similar to how Ronaldo has gone in his final year...

B2B . Full of energy , good passer , great attitude and typically Dutch with a great understanding of the game and very good positioning and comfortableon the ball , from what I have seen of him he can play in a few positions . If you were looking for a player out there that fits the mould of oles type of player you need look no further than him. IMO
Thanks, sounds good. Can he play DM? I think that position is more urgent.

sherrinford

People claim it because van de Beek has played the majority of his career as an 8. Pogba’s replacement should be a CM, exactly what van de Beek is and why he’s largely always played CM. The fact he likes to get forward doesn’t change the fact he can play CM. He’s far better defensively than Pogba for one, so if Pogba can play in CM then so can van de Beek.
He played as a no.10 last season and his standout quality was his movement. I don’t think he would have the same freedom to utilise or create space in a deeper role.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He played as a no.10 last season and his standout quality was his movement. I don’t think he would have the same freedom to utilise or create space in a deeper role.
And he played the season before as an 8 and scored even more goals. He’s also played half this season as an 8 and continued to score goals. There is absolutely no basis for that claim. He doesn’t need a free role, he’s well able to get forward and create space while being disciplined enough to cover back as well. Scoring goals doesn’t mean you need to have a free role.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You say that like VDB isn't a CM, when by most accounts that's his best position.
What accounts? People that have watched him have said his best position is as an AM or most advanced midfielder. CM is a position he can play but you're going to get his best assets when he's more attacking

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
From everything I've watched of him, he's got that Ajax technique and tactical awareness that they seem to just churn out - similar to Blind but far more mobile.

RedDevilUnited369

This is a strong possibility.

I think Pogba will leave this summer, his camp has suddenly gone quiet which is a bit unusual, this either suggests that he is supper happy here or everything is agreed for an exit and we have instructed the buyer to keep quiet until we bring someone in. Similar to how Ronaldo has gone in his final year...
But we couldn’t afford Werner unless Pogba was sold...surely we would still be in for him if a deal is in place for Pogba?

Devil may care

You want him as close to the box as possible. Like someone mentioned in one of the articles, he's the answer to a goal scoring midfielder Ole has been seeking.
I thought Bruno had covered that base, we need someone to play DM with Pogba in the double pivot if he's staying.

James Peril

Perhaps, but we’ve seen this before and it seldom pans out. Heck, even Greenwood could be playing for West Ham in two years. What is extremely likely though is that Solskjær isn’t the manager of United after this season or the next, so we’ll see Mejbri’s development until a professional manager comes in and takes over.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think our midfield is still a bit of a quandary. So when our players are all fit, you look at a core group of Pogba, Bruno, Fred, McTominay and Matic and feel fairly pleased. It isn’t perfect. I don’t think the combinations are certain to work. But they’re all good players, some of them great. Garner and Gomes are promising lads and, in a pinch, Pereira and Lingard at least have two sets of legs. So you look at our options and think ‘well, where does this other central attacking midfielder fit in?’

Then you strip it back some more. Pogba leaves and suddenly Bruno is left a big creative burden. Gomes is no guarantee to excel, or even stay. Matic may leave in a year anyway. As for Pereira and Lingard; well, they’ve got two sets of legs but that’s about it. Ideally, they’d be on the bench at Watford. All of a sudden, within the short space of twelve months, we’re three or four midfielders short and left with only Bruno, Fred and McTominay as solid options in midfield.

As such, I think I’ll take all of the good, solid midfielders we can get our hands on. For too long we’ve been playing catch up re. squad building. We should be looking to get ahead.
Our midfield lacks proper defensive excellence and a proper playmaker. We have all rounders (Fred and Mctominay) and creative /flair CMs (Pogba and Fernandes) but not the types I mentioned. Of course you never know what works. People felt City's midfield was weak but Pep used KDB and Silva in a three man midfield and make it work brilliantly.

Bwuk

Cant say I’ve seen loads of him, but always looks great when I do. Reminds me of Lampard.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Our last few games were we concede like two goals was a midfield trio of Bruno Matic and Fred. It has been our best Midfield so far this season. The main difference was Matic showing the balance a proper DM can bring. I don't mind VdB but I feel the better transfer would be a DM. We can probably get Zakaria for the same price too. And if Bruno gets injured then Pogba can play as the most advanced midfielder.

passing-wind

I think what Ogden has said about Madrid the sentiments make sense. For us I'd consider DVDB a tier 1 signing because of the lack of depth in our midfield and the uncertainty regarding Pogba. He's also a very industrious player physically, with decent technique but his mindset I'd imagine would be something that fits into Oles mould.

There's argument that DVDB is no improvement at all to Madrid's team, Odegaard and Valverde alone are better talents. That's not even considering Kroos / Modric. Casemiro is in a category of his own considering he's the defensive midfielder. That's why it's more plausible to see them chase Camavinga on the basis of what they need (though we could do with him here too).

Summer window will be interesting, you can all but guarantee with Woodward our deals will be dragging out throughout the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.