Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okey

On BBC now eh? Looking like this will be our first signing (though I seem to recall they reported we were close to Sancho too all those weeks ago). Like many, I would prefer Grealish who has more star quality. But Villa want stupid money. For half the price, VdB is decent and actually more versatile than Grealish. A good buy, if we seal the deal.

PitTon

Somehow I think he'll become Muller if he is allowed to play more in the same position. Play simple when needed but very effective, good technique, perfect in tight space, get in good scoring positions, hardworking. I like him.

Edit: I know we don't have good attacking FBs yet but with all the Midfielders we have, may Ole try and play a diamond formation ?

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
On BBC now eh? Looking like this will be our first signing (though I seem to recall they reported we were close to Sancho too all those weeks ago). Like many, I would prefer Grealish who has more star quality. But Villa want stupid money. For half the price, VdB is decent and actually more versatile than Grealish. A good buy, if we seal the deal.
I think VDB and Grealish are ultimately who Solskjaer wants (as additions) but perhaps only one will come this window.

I think Solskjaers preference is CB, VDB, Grealish, Sancho.

It's the financial aspect that needs to be figured out, such as would villa accept 30-40M + a few players like Lingard in exchange (for Grealish), or United needs to offload those players.

If a CB can't be brought in, Smalling would stay, or United would sell Smalling and bring in a young potential CB.

Grealish of course would be a great addition to the squad and I think the team needs him, that's if Messi isn't available on a free and isn't city bound, because he'd be worth bringing for his drilling, passing, finishing which obviously means Grealish is not worth pursuing.

I think since Messi is city bound, United will prioritise VDB and Sancho, if Grealish is available at the right price they'll go for him.

RashyForPM

The news is 40m euros, so slightly more than 35m pounds. If true, then this makes it a relatively low-risk transfer and makes sense even if the entire plan is for him to simply be a squad player.
It’ll be ridiculous if we don’t buy him. Doesn’t even deplete too much of the transfer budget for Sancho, if we indeed are still interested in him.

RashyForPM

Somehow I think he'll become Muller if he is allowed to play more in the same position. Play simple when needed but very effective, good technique, perfect in tight space, get in good scoring positions, hardworking. I like him.

Edit: I know we don't have good attacking FBs yet but with all the Midfielders we have, may Ole try and play a diamond formation ?
De Gea
James Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic/Fred/Scott
VdB Pogba
Bruno
Rashford Martial

Seems a good team with tons of potential and star quality, if (big if) James can develop into that role.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He started of playing as a deeper midfielder in his earlier career but came to prominence as the most advanced midfielder in a 3 at Ajax, similar to how Bayern deploy Muller. He's someone that plays with great intensity with or without the ball and has a very high footballing IQ IMO. He won't be someone that will take the plaudits or adulation from the fans/media most weeks but his value to a coach from a tactical perspective will be very important in implementing a high intensity approach. He also provides tactical flexibilty.

I actually wouldn't be suprised if Solskjaer deploys him as the holding midfielder in a double pivot with Pogba against teams we're expected to beat.
That's a sure fire way to never succeed as a team. I thought by now everyone was past the dumb premier league proven thing? Thats the logic that led moyes to sign Fellaini instead of Thiago :lol: Van de beek excelled in the champions league with Ajax. Comes from an academy that is always one of the best for developing brilliant players. Grealish had a good season don't get me wrong, and is a good player. He's not worth more than Van de Beek is, and is IMO less suited to our needs, and far less proven as a player overall (despite being older).

How i see him as a player is a complete midfielder. He can do it all, tackle, pass, dribble, score goals, create. Like a Muller (far less proven and not on that level of course), but one that can play in any of the 3 midfield positions (to varying levels, IMO best as the 8 or 10 but heard he's good as a 6 too), is very intelligent, very hard working and physically good all around to adapt quicker to the prem. And hes composed, which is one of the biggest things that the Ajax academy always teaches, composure and technique to get that football intelligence.
As a citizen of Holland and long time follower of the dutch competition, here are my two cents on this potential transfer. Donny is an energetic forward thinking midfielder, who also roams the spaces in front and behind the 16m box to either open up the space for the striker or to run in behind himself to score. He’s a multi functional player. Ajax manager Ten Hag started him as a number 10 and later on he moved him back a line to an ‘8’ as the right fielded midfielder with a more ‘controlling’ responsibility. However in the important games he more often then not plays as a ‘10’, timing his runs, and roaming in and around the 16m box. I’d absolutely approve of a Dutch addition coming to Old Trafford.
Three good posts! Anybody with an ounce of football intelligence sees similarities between VdB and Thomas
Müller.

Donny offers versatility and his intelligent movements with or without the ball is something that our game often miss.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The fact that Ole played Fred in the semi final CL against Sevilla next to Pogba should tell you that Ole see the important role of Fred in our squad. The one who is leaving is pretty obvious Pereira since he's linked with Benfica & Valencia at the moment.
One of those moments where I actually agree with you :lol:

PitTon

De Gea
James Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic/Fred/Scott
VdB Pogba
Bruno
Rashford Martial

Seems a good team with tons of potential and star quality, if (big if) James can develop into that role.
We are affected by some of outstanding FBs out there like TAA, (When he play there) Kunming. But I think a FB can simply contribute a lot to attacking phase.Start with Good positioning up field, ready to overlap, make some runs behind... I don't know why AWB hardly does any of these regularly.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
No lottery numbers. He’s just not that good. Maybe he can develop into a right back, as I do envisage him playing there soon.
Not seeing that but if he gets his confidence back he can still be useful providing cover anywhere across the front line.

Anyho back on topic, wondering if we bring van de Beek in so soon after Fernandes who both do their best work in Pogba's favourite position we are open to selling Pogba this Summer, Reguilón and say £65m surely we'd be interested, or should be.

James Peril

I am very uncertain on van de Beek, but I’m positive for the signing because he’s a very hard worker, we’ll like that. Why hasn’t he moved prior and why isn’t the competition stronger? I guess the clubs around Europe have the same thoughts, his numbers aren’t highly impressive... playing for a mammoth in a small league, can he apply the same in England? The same could be said about Bruno Fernandes, but that was perhaps more about the high price - we knew he had shooting, free-kicks, all of that.

Is Donny making it or is he on par with Davy Klaassen? I guess we’ll find out, I at least have high hopes for him becoming a good squad player. I have maybe seen 10 full games including a few in the Eredivisie, he’s a runner and an honest player. Good shooting and positioning in the box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not seeing that but if he gets his confidence back he can still be useful providing cover anywhere across the front line.

Anyho back on topic, wondering if we bring van de Beek in so soon after Fernandes who both do their best work in Pogba's favourite position we are open to selling Pogba this Summer, Reguilón and say £65m surely we'd be interested, or should be.
Van de Beek does his best work where Fernandes is currently deployed.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Why is everyone on Redcafe so desperate to sell Pogba? That too for a LB who won't start over Shaw mostly. VDB is coming as squad player and won't replace Pogba as first team player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Standard reaction from our fans. A player is shit as soon as he is linked to us :lol:
Barca and Madrid are apparently interested in him. But of course, he doesn't have a place for the mighty United.

reelworld

I am very uncertain on van de Beek, but I’m positive for the signing because he’s a very hard worker, we’ll like that. Why hasn’t he moved prior and why isn’t the competition stronger? I guess the clubs around Europe have the same thoughts, his numbers aren’t highly impressive... playing for a mammoth in a small league, can he apply the same in England? The same could be said about Bruno Fernandes, but that was perhaps more about the high price - we knew he had shooting, free-kicks, all of that.

Is Donny making it or is he on par with Davy Klaassen? I guess we’ll find out, I at least have high hopes for him becoming a good squad player. I have maybe seen 10 full games including a few in the Eredivisie, he’s a runner and an honest player. Good shooting and positioning in the box.
I thought we got over this shit after we signed Bruno

Joseunited

If he was pulled out of yesterday's friendly then this is further along than just "monitoring ".I expect we'll here something much more concrete today.

RkkMan

If we ain`t getting Sancho VDB+Grealish with Lingard and Pereira out is smart business. It at least strengthens our attacking depth and ensures we keep playing Marcus, Martial and Greenwood(with the privelege of having solid options to rotate with) who have the potential to be our Mane, Salah and Firmino.
Add a LCB once Smalling goes and our window is still good

red4ever 79

How anyone can be against this deal is beyond me. Colleague of mine at work is an Ajax season ticker holder and this lad is rated very highly. Can play in all spaces in the midfield. Technically outstanding, has a good engine and a good press. One of his key strengths is opening up space for others to run into. Yes he will primarily compete with Pogba and Bruno, but what's the problem with that. Last season Pogba missed majority of the campaign and we were having to play Andreas, Lingard and McTom. This guy provides competition for places and good squad depth in a long campaign.

Steve Bruce

He's a no brainer signing.

Young, talented, champions league experienced, cheap & comfortable with & without the ball. He is a different type of player to what we have.

I do think he can be trained into a deep lying midfielder who picks up the loose balls & connects the defence to the midfield/attack.

He's a big upgrade to Fred & mctominey.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s his style of play? Is he more advanced player or more defensive? Or is he an all rounder? If we sign him then I can see us playing VDB, pogba and Bruno In our preferred 4-2-3-1 set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.