Donny Van De Beek / LOAN to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danillaco

I agree with that but people should also realise there is a reason Dalot got a game. He trained well and the manager gave him a go, he took his chance and got more chances.

Donny got a game, blew it, so its his fault. (Young Boys btw)

Elanga was not in the squad under Ole, he impressed Ralf in 2 training sessions in an area of the pitch where we have the most talent. The manager can play Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood in that position but Elanga got game time.

Donny can't even get a game when he is 4th in choice in a 2 midfield.
Yeah he blew his chance playing as a cm, arguably cdm, along with Juan Mata. If that's not a great chance...

Crick

We’ve played the last 3 games with Jeffrey Schlupp in centre mid, maybe you’re overthinking it a little.
Doesn't that say a DM or a CM makes much more sense than an AM like DVB. Just don't think it's a great move. If he was a CM he would play for us instead of one of McFred. I want him to play and show what he can do and not sit on the bench for another team because he can't defend well enough. Brighton are a much better fit for him in the Premier League. He loves pass and move and scores plenty of goals when he gets the chance. He'd fit in well with Brighton.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't know how anyone can say he has actually been given a fair chance considering the amount of chances they watched Fred, Mctominay, Pereira, James, Lingard, Rashford, Maguire, Awb have after consistently being shit for certain periods.

I think he could still be useful next season since the most likely manager we get is Ten Hag who knows how to use him or Pochettino who has worked with a player with similar play style in Dele Alli

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I don't know how anyone can say he has actually been given a fair chance considering the amount of chances they watched Fred, Mctominay, Pereira, James, Lingard, Rashford, Maguire, Awb have after consistently being shit for certain periods.

I think he could still be useful next season since the most likely manager we get is Ten Hag who knows how to use him or Pochettino who has worked with a player with similar play style in Dele Alli
As with most things if it doesn't make sense to us it probably comes down to factors that we cannot see. Previous match performances are a criteria, of course, but players are also selected based on how they are in training, their general demeanour around the club, chemistry with other members of the squad.

Donny is obviously not ticking enough of these boxes, and that aligned with performances that have never really made a compelling argument for his inclusion are the most logical reasons why he isn't getting more minutes, and also why he's probably done at the club.

Zlatattack

I hope he gets a loan move to Palace. I think we need him at our club, but we're definitely not using him. Palace are a decent side, he's very likely to play, get PL experience and then hopefully come back in the summer a proven PL asset.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Are we really gonna loan all these players out without bringing someone in ? The next few months are gonna get really busy, so rotation is important. A couple injurys would be critical as well.

Zakaria makes so much sence imo. Cheap with potensial, and if he doesnt work out we can sell him for profit. If he works out he can be either be a good first teamer or squad player.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm just surprised it's Palace. Don't really see the sense in that particular destination, but he needs move now, whether on loan or permanently. For his own sake.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Are we really gonna loan all these players out without bringing someone in ? The next few months are gonna get really busy, so rotation is important. A couple injurys would be critical as well.

Zakaria makes so much sence imo. Cheap with potensial, and if he doesnt work out we can sell him for profit. If he works out he can be either be a good first teamer or squad player.
He'd probably demand some obscene contract (we'd give to him) that would make it hard to shift him if he flops.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

We’ve been here before though… buying players then struggling to get rid, mainly due to silly wages. And if he doesn’t work out, no guarantee we sell at a profit (likely I admit) but again… wages.

Right now, I don’t think we need just another squad player who doesn’t really challenge the existing ones (with Pogba due back soon too?).. we’ve got a couple coming through, some great youth.

We need a player who can slot straight into midfield and take on PL games. Zakaria (or Kamara) may be that player but chucking money about, even a relatively nominal amount (for a football club) needs thought.

city-puma

They're a tidy team that like to pass and move. Vieira has impressed and he should link up well with the like of Olise, Gallagher, Zaha and Eze
Yeah. It actually surprises me a lot that Vieira has done really well in crystal palace. They are trying to embrace progressive football and has become a different team this season.
VDB now can show if he can play in EPL.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm just surprised it's Palace. Don't really see the sense in that particular destination, but he needs move now, whether on loan or permanently. For his own sake.
Maybe other clubs see what the coaching staff sees. He just isn't suitable for the EPL, the toughest league in the world.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yeah. It actually surprises me a lot that Vieira has done really well in crystal palace. They are trying to embrace progressive football and has become a different team this season.
VDB now can show if he can play in EPL.
Yep been majorly impressed with them. Some seriously talented young players there. I think it's a great fit for him

Ghostrider318

I firmly belief VDB was a panic signing by the board. The sancho saga was getting dragged out and it was clear to the board that it wasnt happening. I think we were rumored to be looking at CB , CDM options and none of them were working out. Out of the blue the Ajax offered Donny to us and we bought him without much thought. No wonder he barely featured under Ole and now RR seems to not fancy him as well. Recouping even half of the 35m will be a big win now. Couldve easily been spent on a position we really really needed aka CDM.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
We’ve been here before though… buying players then struggling to get rid, mainly due to silly wages. And if he doesn’t work out, no guarantee we sell at a profit (likely I admit) but again… wages.

Right now, I don’t think we need just another squad player who doesn’t really challenge the existing ones (with Pogba due back soon too?).. we’ve got a couple coming through, some great youth.

We need a player who can slot straight into midfield and take on PL games. Zakaria (or Kamara) may be that player but chucking money about, even a relatively nominal amount (for a football club) needs thought.
Sounds like a man desperate for a Rice type of signing. Am i right ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They're a tidy team that like to pass and move. Vieira has impressed and he should link up well with the like of Olise, Gallagher, Zaha and Eze
I confess to not having seen much of them. Gallagher has obviously been very impressive, but I only started watching them once they declined defensively (they'd been keeping some clean sheets for a while earlier).

So what will a first XI look like? Last two Prem games he's had a midfield 3 of Gallagher - Hughes - Schlupp, before that, when Gallaghaer wasn't available, Milivojevic came in. Donny probably prefers to play right sided midfield there as an 8 who can occupy the wing too, with Olise wanting to cut in on his left. But is Hughes really a sitter in front of that defense?

Maybe other clubs see what the coaching staff sees. He just isn't suitable for the EPL, the toughest league in the world.
It's hard to see that on the minimal evidence available.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I confess to not having seen much of them. Gallagher has obviously been very impressive, but I only started watching them once they declined defensively (they'd been keeping some clean sheets for a while earlier).

So what will a first XI look like? Last two Prem games he's had a midfield 3 of Gallagher - Hughes - Schlupp, before that, when Gallaghaer wasn't available, Milivojevic came in. Donny probably prefers to play right sided midfield there as an 8 who can occupy the wing too, with Olise wanting to cut in on his left. But is Hughes really a sitter in front of that defense?
I think Gallagher will drop a bit deeper, alongside Hughes I guess with Donny at number 10.

Eze and Olise look serious talents although the former is only back from long term injury. Probably 1 of those with Zaha on the other wing with Edouard up top.

At the back I really like the centre halfs Guehi and Andersen. Mitchell looks a good talent too at left back. Joel Ward and Guita making up the rest of the team

PoTMS

If we buy no one, this is bizarre to say the least. We will be short in midfield especially if we intend to play 4-3-3 going forward. McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Bruno (and half a Matic) for 3 positions is not enough.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think Gallagher will drop a bit deeper, alongside Hughes I guess with Donny at number 10.

Eze and Olise look serious talents although the former is only back from long term injury. Probably 1 of those with Zaha on the other wing with Edouard up top.

At the back I really like the centre halfs Guehi and Andersen. Mitchell looks a good talent too at left back. Joel Ward and Guita making up the rest of the team
Interesting read, you've clearly observed them more than I have. I like what I've seen of Guehi, haven't really followed the much more hyped Andersen. With prejudice my guess is a tasty option would be having a bona fide defensive midfielder anchoring a midfield 3 with both Donny and Gallagher allowed more freedom. Maybe that's harsh on Hughes, whom I've never been impressed with though maybe Vieira is working some magic there?

In any case, if Donny goes there we'll all be tuning in.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we buy no one, this is bizarre to say the least. We will be short in midfield especially if we intend to play 4-3-3. McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Bruno (and half a Matic) for 3 positions is not enough.
I'd be surprised too, if there is no midfielder arriving in this scenario, but I'm also hoping Mejbri gets a chance not just in the forward positions.

sglowrider

It's hard to see that on the minimal evidence available.
You have to earn your right to play on the weekend in training as the old saying goes.

I can sympathise with Martial FC to a degree. We know how good he can be. But Donnie has been the Schneiderlin of this generation. Does nothing whenever he plays. If he was an academy player he would go straight back to U-23s.

You need to take your chances when given as they say. I thought he would be a difference-maker to what Ole was hoping to achieve. Then I thought, maybe Ole wasn't a good enough a coach to translate his vision onto the actual playing with Donnie's 'attributes.'
Now another manager doesn't play him? It says more about Donnie than the managers.

My question is whose buy was Donnie?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
You have to earn your right to play on the weekend in training as the old saying goes.

I can sympathise with Martial FC to a degree. We know how good he can be. But Donnie has been the Schneiderlin of this generation. Does nothing whenever he plays. If he was an academy player he would go straight back to U-23s.

You need to take your chances when given as they say. I thought he would be a difference-maker to what Ole was hoping to achieve. Then I thought, maybe Ole wasn't a good enough a coach to translate his vision onto the actual playing. Now another manager doesn't play him?
If he was a 19-20 year old academy player with all else being equal, I'd definitely think there was a player there and he needs the right guidance. But he's not and we've seen him play well for Ajax while he's looked lost here, albeit most of that time under Ole in a really directionless United side. If he goes to Palace and remains a first XI player for the rest of the season that will afford a proper opportunity to see if he's got it. I suspect he's not the right fit for us, but I'm still keen to see him get a run of games before making a judgement.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

You need to take your chances when given as they say. I thought he would be a difference-maker to what Ole was hoping to achieve. Then I thought, maybe Ole wasn't a good enough a coach to translate his vision onto the actual playing with Donnie's 'attributes.'
Now another manager doesn't play him? It says more about Donnie than the managers.

My question is whose buy was Donnie?
Surely he has to actually be given meaningful minutes for that to be a valid criticism/conclusion though? The man has made 50 appearances for us, each one averaging about 35 minutes- and has never started two games in a row. No signing for actual sizeable money in our history has been given less of a chance.

For comparison, Schniederlin made 47 apperances for us, and averaged almost twice the amount of minutes per game then Donny.

Agree though that he must be garbage in training or something...clearly its not just an Ole thing.

sglowrider

If he was a 19-20 year old academy player with all else being equal, I'd definitely think there was a player there and he needs the right guidance. But he's not and we've seen him play well for Ajax while he's looked lost here, albeit most of that time under Ole in a really directionless United side. If he goes to Palace and remains a first XI player for the rest of the season that will afford a proper opportunity to see if he's got it. I suspect he's not the right fit for us, but I'm still keen to see him get a run of games before making a judgement.
The question is who wanted him? Who was he supposed to replace? Bruno? Clearly, he wasn't Ole's choice -- so like anything, United works within a budget. What was Donnie's opportunity costs? Who should we have got instead?

sglowrider

Surely he has to actually be given meaningful minutes for that to be a valid criticism/conclusion though? The man has made 50 appearances for us, each one averaging about 35 minutes- and has never started two games in a row. No signing for actual sizeable money in our history has been given less of a chance.

For comparison, Schniederlin made 47 apperances for us, and averaged almost twice the amount of minutes per game then Donny.

Agree though that he must be garbage in training or something...clearly its not just an Ole thing.
Why does Donnie get so few opportunities? I think its partly the poor training performances.

But maybe Donnie is only made of a particular philosophy? His Ajax muscle memory so ingrained that it's tough to create new neural pathways. So he is just having a hard time adjusting and playing in multiple(new) playing styles? So every time he comes on he looks lost and cant seem to follow instructions. And when you have managers under tremendous pressure to succeed, would you take a chance to groom him into the system?

United's just too big a club to do on the job training.

The management arent dummies. They spend a huge amount on Donnie -- they arent going to not give him chances intentionally. The problem is that Donnie just isn't grabbing it like his life depends on it like an Elanga.

In all that time Donnie has played, I can barely remember one moment that gave me any inkling that he was going to succeed at United, and we are Individual Brillance FC after all.

And yet....

reddevilz007

With the eventual return of Pogba and the possibility of Hannibal joining the first team more regularly, I’m guessing we won’t be looking at any new midfielders this winter.

Ixion

I find the argument he can't physically cut it in the PL a bit odd when we have Fred who gets bounced and muscled off the ball every game

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I find the argument he can't physically cut it in the PL a bit odd when we have Fred who gets bounced and muscled off the ball every game
I read somewhere (Athletic, I think) that they think Donny can’t cover ground quickly enough. You’d think that would be easy to pick up in scouting data and trips, but that’s what they say. Fred is decent as that, to be fair to him.

minoo-utd

If he goes which it seems happening then we have to get someone in, we can’t go specially in midfield which is our weakness area with a less player even if he is just a sub!

LuckyScout78

I would recommend to Leeds and the with DVB. The Leeds manager should start using 433 again. Not 4231 lately without Phillips.

Raphinha - DVB - Philipps - Klich - Harrison + Bamford/James

Leeds are struggling without Kalvin Phillips. But with Phillips back from injury. DVB as RCM in a 3 CM would suit him and Leeds perfectly.

Dream scenario for United is swap deal DVB and Raphinha + money to United.

Without Martial, Diallo and maybe Lingard. And if DVB leaving too. United become maybe short upfront. Sancho is still finding time. Again without the DVB. United squad depth has lower the qualities.

Raphinha and Rasford on each wide side would be deadly.

4411:

Raphinha - McTom/Bruno/Pobga - Fred/McTom - Rashford/Sancho + Bruno/Greenwood + Ronaldo/Cavani

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I would recommend to Leeds and the with DVB. The Leeds manager should start using 433 again. Not 4231 lately without Phillips.

Leeds are struggling without Kalvin Phillips. But with Phillips back from injury. DVB as RCM in a 3 CM would suit him and Leeds perfectly.

Without Martial, Diallo and maybe Lingard. And if DVB leaving too. United become maybe short upfront. Sancho is still finding time. Again without the DVB. United squad depth has lower the qualities.

4411:

Raphinha - McTom/Bruno/Pobga - Fred/McTom - Rashford/Sancho + Bruno/Greenwood + Ronaldo/Cavani
Leeds would give money + Raphinha for DVB?

phelans shorts

4411:

It would take about 40 million plus Donny to get LEEDS to the table to talk about Raphinha to United.

SonyaCross493

Time to go to work Donny. No excuses.

He's effectively been a glorified Manchester United season holder for the past few years riding the bench. Now with this loan move he has to play regular football and prove himself.

It's a challenge the lad seems to relish though. And obviously wants. We are all rooting for him.

Obviously I'll take all that back about Donny relishing the challenge etc if he chooses to go to Valencia or a club abroad as that would be shirking the challenge and running away... He needs to prove himself in the Premier League. Joining Valencia on loan or a non-PL club basically means he's definitely getting sold in the summer and there's no way back for Donny at United because playing well in La Liga doesn't answer the question if Donny can play in the Premier League. We need to see Donny go on loan to a Premier League club it's the only move that makes sense. And prove Ole, Rangnick and all the coaches at Carrington who say he can't hack it in the Premier League because he's not physical enough.

I'm looking forward to watching him play his first game for Palace. He could be a massive flop or a massive success (like Chelsea's Gallagher) in his loan spell. It's all or nothing sink or swim for Donny. And that makes it exciting as a sub-plot to the rest of the season as a Manchester United fan to follow Donny.

Hughie77

Get Rid asap. Free up wages and another space for someone who's up to the Premier League. He's clearly not .Imo he's had his chance and a but for a few decent substitute appearances when he starts we've struggled. Best for him and UTD if he goes

Sviken

If he goes which it seems happening then we have to get someone in, we can’t go specially in midfield which is our weakness area with a less player even if he is just a sub!
He never gets used anyway, so what's the point in him warming the bench?
Get Rid asap. Free up wages and another space for someone who's up to the Premier League. He's clearly not .Imo he's had his chance and a but for a few decent substitute appearances when he starts we've struggled. Best for him and UTD if he goes
When did he have his chance? He's barely accumulated 5 games worth of appearances since he has transferred here.

Hughie77

He never gets used anyway, so what's the point in him warming the bench?

When has he had his chance? He's barely accumulated 5 games of appearances since he has transferred here.
Thats why get rid he's deemed not good enough, so go, no matter what you think of him or I think of him. There's 2 different managers now who don't want him or need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.