Dortmund Interested in Angel Gomes| Signs deal with United

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Or if they maybe believe that a club doesn't have the patience of capacity to integrate more young players in particular positions in the near future.
Always a choice. Every club loan their players when they think player isn't ready or won't get mins to develop.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Always a choice. Every club loan their players when they think player isn't ready or won't get mins to develop.
Im pretty sure in this instance it was the player who decided to go on loan against the wishes of the club/manager

Hawks2008

What do you mean by that?

Pogba was 18/19 years old and very mature physically. Gomes even small for his age at 17 years old. What are people expecting the club to do with him if it is indeed true that he wants out?
I mean, size isn't everything. But I guess it's more frustration that we can't find a place for some of the talented players coming through. The fact that TFM and Pereira are loaned out and Tuanzebe is nowhere to be seen annoys me, and losing a potentially quality asset in Gomes is far from ideal,

redom

Would be a huge shame to lose him but it's felt somewhat inevitable considering he hasn't signed a deal with us yet, hopefully that's just the pessimist in me and behind the scenes progress is being made to keep him at the club.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I mean, size isn't everything. But I guess it's more frustration that we can't find a place for some of the talented players coming through. The fact that TFM and Pereira are loaned out and Tuanzebe is nowhere to be seen annoys me, and losing a potentially quality asset in Gomes is far from ideal,
I think Tuanzebe stayed because of Rojo's injury. Reckon we'll sen him out on loan in January.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Everything's going so well at Dortmund. Great team. Wins every week. Leads 4-0 every match. Plays only 20 year olds or younger.

RedDevilRoshi

Really hope we don't lose him as it'll be another Pogba situation which will come back to bite us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He wanted Pereira to stay and we have many options at CB...
Yes however the player didn't feel he would get enough minutes.
With regards to the CBs, we bought one in the summer without moving any on. We obviously didn't trust Tuanzebe enough.

Now I am not saying the club did wrong here, I am saying all these things player will take into consideration. There are positives Rashford and Lingard and there are negatives Pereira and Tuanzebe

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Be gutted to lose such a big prospect but agree that the club shouldn’t be bending over backwards to appease someone who has so much to prove

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Be gutted to lose such a big prospect but agree that the club shouldn’t be bending over backwards to appease someone who has so much to prove
There is a difference between bending over and showing a young prospect some perspective. We don’t know what the club is telling him, how the club is planning with him and what his relationship with the coaching staff is like. Those things are very difficult to judge.
Maybe he just really doesn’t see any real perspective at your club. If that’s the case, he’d be right to move on to a club where he can play. Dortmund would be a great address for him, or at least used to be until they got rid of Tuchel.
If he chooses a club like Dortmund, it would indicate a good attitude to me. The willingness to go to a smaller club for playing time is usually a good sign from a young player.

Crimson King

To be honest he would be mad to leave right now for a struggling Dortmund side, he only turned 17 a few months ago and whilst he is certainly very gifted he is nowhere near ready for regular first team football. He would just find himself still playing Under 18 matches for the time being, except everyone would be shouting at him in German.

He should sign the new contract and buckle down, there's every chance he'll get an opportunity at some point. If that doesn't happen then either go on loan for some experience or leave for regular football in a year or so if that's what he really wants, but somewhere he'd be guaranteed it. Januzaj didn't exactly flourish at Dortmund, so I don't buy the whole great for youngsters BS. Dembele would have been a hit anywhere and had already torn it up in Ligue 1.

He's either being greedy or whoever is advising him to move to another big European club should shut up.

Personally, I hope he stays and makes something of himself, but I would be nowhere near as concerned if he left as I was when Pogba did. He had guaranteed star written all over him.

Coops73

Wait isn't the source of this The Sun?!
Exactly. When they say we’re going to sign Bale or Ronaldo or Messi or any other footballer with a modicum of talent everyone calls bullshit but when it’s one of ours going somewhere else people lose their shit like the good lord himself wrote the article, weird.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
There is a difference between bending over and showing a young prospect some perspective. We don’t know what the club is telling him, how the club is planning with him and what his relationship with the coaching staff is like. Those things are very difficult to judge.
Maybe he just really doesn’t see any real perspective at your club. If that’s the case, he’d be right to move on to a club where he can play. Dortmund would be a great address for him, or at least used to be until they got rid of Tuchel.
If he chooses a club like Dortmund, it would indicate a good attitude to me. The willingness to go to a smaller club for playing time is usually a good sign from a young player.
Whilst I agree with most of your points, I think the fact he got a cameo last season shows that the club think highly of him and everyone connected with the club has spoken highly of him.

Also the choosing Dortmund as he'll get game time argument falls down when you see that he is behind Sancho in the England U17s and he isn't getting any game time himself.

What I think may be harming us is that a lot of the players he played with last season have moved up to the u23s whereas he is still with the U18s. He probably feels he has shown enough to warrant moving up a level and testing himself more which I can understand and it is a little bit baffling why we haven't allowed that to happen.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I prefer if they send him to Spain, football and language are better for his developing . I still have nightmares with J11

Red_toad

Issue is we don't know what his agent is telling him.

Club has offered a new deal, he's already made his debut for the club, he's 17 and held in very high regard at the club. If he chooses to leave then so be it. If he agrees a new deal then great. Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist over speculation.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's not gonna get minutes at Dortmund ahead of Gotze, Pulisic, Philipp, Reus, Kagawa and Yarmolenko.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'd be gutted if we lost him. One of the few youngsters we have at present i'm really excited about.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Whilst I agree with most of your points, I think the fact he got a cameo last season shows that the club think highly of him and everyone connected with the club has spoken highly of him.

Also the choosing Dortmund as he'll get game time argument falls down when you see that he is behind Sancho in the England U17s and he isn't getting any game time himself.

What I think may be harming us is that a lot of the players he played with last season have moved up to the u23s whereas he is still with the U18s. He probably feels he has shown enough to warrant moving up a level and testing himself more which I can understand and it is a little bit baffling why we haven't allowed that to happen.
I think Dortmund is interesting for every player in a situation like this, because it actually worked for them multiple times. Guys like Götze, Sahin, Pulisic, Dembele, Weigl or Zagadou all made it there or are on the verge of making it. I don't think there is another club right now who can claim such success with youngsters for themselves.
So whenever a player is not sure about his perspective, Dortmund seem to be the best adress. It won't work all the time, as Mor and Merino showed, but even those guys got their chance. If I was a young player, I'd prefer Dortmund over any other club in the world.
Teams like United, City and others like Bayern, Barca or Juve can't rival that kind of record right now. No matter how much they like a young prospect. You always have to be afraid, that the pressure at the club is too big and the young ones will be left out of the team.

jb8521

Don't really know why this is being put on the club by quite a few people when the terms of the contract were fully agreed last May to be signed on his 17th birthday and he was even given a first team debut as a reward yet he/his advisors have gone back on it. If he's expecting to be given preferential treatment from the club and given a push up the age groups then that's not the best way of going about it.

redom

Don't really know why this is being put on the club by quite a few people when the terms of the contract were fully agreed last May to be signed on his 17th birthday and he was even given a first team debut as a reward yet he/his advisors have gone back on it. If he's expecting to be given preferential treatment from the club and given a push up the age groups then that's not the best way of going about it.
Given your knowledge and experience with youth football and the current situation with Gomes do you get the feeling he's already made up his mind or do you think it's an ongoing negotiation/discussion with him and his advisors? possibly with them waiting for certain things to occur (such as being involved with first team squads etc) before he commits to the club even if that's an unreasonable thing to expect at this point. As someone with no idea how these things usually progress I get the impression he's already got one foot out of the door and it's just a case of who gives him the deal and assurances he wants, whether that's Dortmund I have my doubts as I'm sure he'll have numerous clubs interested.

jb8521

Given your knowledge and experience with youth football and the current situation with Gomes do you get the feeling he's already made up his mind or do you think it's an ongoing negotiation/discussion with him and his advisors? possibly with them waiting for certain things to occur (such as being involved with first team squads etc) before he commits to the club even if that's an unreasonable thing to expect at this point. As someone with no idea how these things usually progress I get the impression he's already got one foot out of the door and it's just a case of who gives him the deal and assurances he wants, whether that's Dortmund I have my doubts as I'm sure he'll have numerous clubs interested.
To be honest I haven't heard anything recently so have no idea what's likely to happen with him but gut feeling is that if he was going to sign he would have done so already. I think pushing him into first team football too early is likely to do him more harm than good in the long term especially when he still gets knocked about quite a bit and has been picking up quite a few injuries while playing at his own age group.

United_We_Stand

Fabrizio Romano and Calciomercato say Juventus will make a move for Angel Gomes if he makes it clear he wants to quit Manchester United.
The report also says Juve are trying to tread carefully to avoid a repeat of the Paul Pogba situation. They want to maintain good relations with United.

http://www.calciomercato.com/news/j...po-a-zero-per-angel-gomes-dal-man-utd-c-81163
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/juventus-weigh-up-move-angel-11624163

Bestietom

They are quoting sun, who have gone with the story. He can leave at end of season for cheap and hasnt signed a contract. They signed Sancho from city in summer and have been on a youngster signing spree in recent years. Looks like another problem on the horizon for club where talented youngsters leave for playing time.
Hope we can keep him here, but if he really has his heart set on going there we should try and get Weigl in return.

arthurka

This is getting a bit strange.. I get that youth leave City as they never get any minutes but leaving Utd after getting a game at 16 makes no sense..

Zlatattack

I'd say give him a game in the cup against Derby, watch him be outclassed and then hook him at half time.

Bestietom

Why would we get anything 'in return'? He's leaving on a free.
There are lots of clubs interested in him, and I truly hope he will stay here. But I'm just hoping I suppose, that they may be that grateful, they allow Weigl come to us, for a fee of course.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
There are lots of clubs interested in him, and I truly hope he will stay here. But I'm just hoping I suppose, that they may be that grateful, they allow Weigl come to us, for a fee of course.
Unlikely. He will be the one choosing a club. Man Utd have no say in it. So whoever gets him has no reason to show gratitude, unless they are just very nice people.

Bestietom

Unlikely. He will be the one choosing a club. Man Utd have no say in it. So whoever gets him has no reason to show gratitude, unless they are just very nice people.
Not many "very nice people" around now I guess. We have done business a couple of times with Dortmund and maybe there is a chance of us getting Weigl if we are really interested, but hope Gomes stays.

beingshe7don

Gomes can leave. I mean he's good but he's not a Pogba or a Rooney. I would let him leave with a buy back clause. Either way, he's not developing playing for the U18s. I would rather focus on fixing out current issues. Use Gomes to get a player from Dortmund (possibly Weigl or Pulisic) and also sell Mhiki back to Dortmund. Can't have a player in the team who is supposed to pull the strings for our attack go missing in games.

TinFoil

He liked a Manchester is blue insta post after they beat us.

Sell him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Gomes can leave. I mean he's good but he's not a Pogba or a Rooney. I would let him leave with a buy back clause. Either way, he's not developing playing for the U18s. I would rather focus on fixing out current issues. Use Gomes to get a player from Dortmund (possibly Weigl or Pulisic) and also sell Mhiki back to Dortmund. Can't have a player in the team who is supposed to pull the strings for our attack go missing in games.
If he is leaving, he's leaving for free (well, the very meagre sum required as 'compensation'. Probably less than £1m). His contract is up in the summer. It's the same as the Pogba situation. He'll sign a pre-contract in January, and then he'll be gone in June. There'll be no buy back clause or getting players in return.

DanClancy

I can fully understand why Sancho left for Dortmund, he had no chance at all of making the city first team inside the next 2 years and if we're been realistic he's a lot more physically developed than Gomes and a lot nearer to the first team football. I still think he'll stay and put it down to him wanting a better deal on the table. The longer he drags this out the more likely it is he gets a better deal as United really won't want a repeat of what happened with Pogba.

Red_toad

If that’s true, it just shows how young and immature he is. Shame. Still want him to stay though.
Maybe he had a fat finger moment? People just jump on our players over the smallest things, wow he liked a post by one of his mates, then removed it.

Personally would love it if he signs his contract offer and puts all this crap to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.