Double strike in Hollywood - actors join writers on the picket line - writer's & actor's strikes end

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not seen since the early 60s. Vote to be held later this AM…

Last edited:

Idxomer

It's gonna be weird with the lack of new films and shows next year if they don't solve this quickly.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
bring back police brutality :).
Johnny Vaughan was joking on radio x that they must be sponsored by big oil. What better way to turn people against writers.
Bunch of fecking cnuts.
When will these protestors learn that if they want change they need to protest in a way that doesn't bother anyone? Have they learned nothing from history?
Call me petty and irrational but I’ll say the truth - I feel further away than ever from supporting such a movement due to these (mostly) uneducated cnuts disrupting things that people are just trying to enjoy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Saw a Tiktok post from an actress, Kimiko Glenn, who was in Orange is the New Black. Not one of the major stars in it but was still in 45 episodes of the show. She showed her residuals for being in the show. She made $27 for the year.

https://www.tiktok.com/@itskimiko/video/6904342710782676229?lang=en

Writers and actors are getting ridden raw by the big streaming companies.
I would've never guessed it was that low. Do we know the values for the top stars?

RedDevilQuebecois

Such a scumbag. This is why I personally hate Western CEOs, who have a hell lot to learn from Japanese CEOs on how to maintain proximity and respect with their own employees.

It's gonna be weird with the lack of new films and shows next year if they don't solve this quickly.
Good, better give back the reins of creativity to the right people with proper pay. Besides, I have a big bunch of anime series I need to catch up with anyway.

Precaution

Saw a Tiktok post from an actress, Kimiko Glenn, who was in Orange is the New Black. Not one of the major stars in it but was still in 45 episodes of the show. She showed her residuals for being in the show. She made $27 for the year.

She must have made a lot more signing a contract to begin with but the re-runs probably make naff all, nothing like how Friends did

Rooney1987

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm sure they're trying to switch writers to chat GPT. And when actors are switched to AI... This'll be it. Algorithm films only.

hodgey123

Are residual payments the royalties she gets for re-runs on the show on streaming services etc.?

Devil You Know

It's obviously bad overall. But being selfish, I've got mixed feelings about this. Have about 5 series I need to catch up on. It'll be a lot easier without new episodes of other shows coming out every week. Part of me is looking forward to that.

Tyrion

I for one will definitely miss all the reboots and sequels :(

TV admittedly will suffer.
Agreed. I don't know why anyone would look to film for good entertainment anymore. TV has been better for a while. Hollywood movies are usually too bloated and uncreative to be exciting but tv seems able to take risks.

The streaming companies are useless. They've never made money, much of their output is atrocious and they cancel most of the good stuff they accidentally make. If bigger demands put them out of business, I'm OK with that.

Fox: "We're the champion of the people against the corrupt establishment

Fox whenever anyone strikes: "Stop whining and get back to work!"

Munkehboi

So what happens to everyone else on a movie/film set who aren't directors/actors who get paid thousands to millions? People like technicians, engineers, runners, make up etc etc. Do they have to stop working too? Who pays them?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So what happens to everyone else on a movie/film set who aren't directors/actors who get paid thousands to millions? People like technicians, engineers, runners, make up etc etc. Do they have to stop working too? Who pays them?
Don't think there's a union for crews and they're usually on freelance basis so they probs don't get paid anything. I might be wrong but I think that's how it works.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think obvious solution to this is to make more and more superhero movies, we don't have enough of them in these last few years. The world can continue to help out Hollywood actors and writers by continuing to watch just these kind of CGI movies exclusively and ignore everything else that comes out in cinema, because they are obviously great movies that require great actors and writers.

Also it would be great if we can have more popstars, MMA stars, F1 drivers, acting in these movies instead of actual actors.

Have I missed the point entirely, or am I right?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don't think there's a union for crews and they're usually on freelance basis so they probs don't get paid anything. I might be wrong but I think that's how it works.
There are unions for different types of crews, but no clue how the members are taken care of, if at all.

Friend of mine's son has been out of work since the writers began their strike. He is (was?) union, he worked on set on lighting & sound, did work on Ozark, Stranger Things, The Staircase, & others.

The film industry in Georgia is substantial, many workers will feel the effects here if they haven't already...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_industry_in_Georgia_(U.S._state)

Last edited: