Douglas Costa - The Spitter

Andersons Dietician

Spitting on someone in sport is the lowest of the low, a punch would be more acceptable. Hopefully they ban him for a large period of time as that just cat be allowed in sport ever.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Took me a minute to realise this wasn't about Diego Costa. Halfway through the 1st video I am still like "where is he?"

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He spitted, headbutted and elbowed the same guy?
Yip, the holy trinity of red card offences, in one game..... I'm amazed he managed to pack them all in (while also racing past defenders and creating chances).

On the longer Youtube vid, you can see that defender is niggling at Costa all the time, but that's football? If he said something racist (IF), tell the ref/club but spitting is disgusting.

Murray3007

defo more to come out on this story theres no way a player is just randomly headbutting, elbowing and spitting on a player. not saying it right for 1 second and would be surprised if hes not hit with a massive ban on this incident.

Red_toad

defo more to come out on this story theres no way a player is just randomly headbutting, elbowing and spitting on a player. not saying it right for 1 second and would be surprised if hes not hit with a massive ban on this incident.
Players do crazy stuff. Can think of team mates fighting with each other on the pitch.
But now anything happens and there’s a player of colour involved the suspicion of it being retaliation for a racist remark is so quickly mentioned.
What Costa did was just wrong, there’s no excusing it.

Murray3007

Players do crazy stuff. Can think of team mates fighting with each other on the pitch.
But now anything happens and there’s a player of colour involved the suspicion of it being retaliation for a racist remark is so quickly mentioned.
What Costa did was just wrong, there’s no excusing it.
never once mentioned his colour, look at the Zidane incident at the WC when people talk about family then it's a bit low and sometimes a reaction is justified. not the spitting bit for me but a punch or headbutt in certain things could certainly be deserved.

Red_toad

never once mentioned his colour, look at the Zidane incident at the WC when people talk about family then it's a bit low and sometimes a reaction is justified. not the spitting bit for me but a punch or headbutt in certain things could certainly be deserved.
Adults shouldn’t need to go round hitting people as someone said something horrible about them or a family member.
Have a friend killed by someone who thought they deserved a punch in the face, then maybe it’ll change your perspective!

EASTSIDE777

Adults shouldn’t need to go round hitting people as someone said something horrible about them or a family member.
Have a friend killed by someone who thought they deserved a punch in the face, then maybe it’ll change your perspective!
Totally agree.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why do you keep peddling that racism card all the time? There's no indication of it and I'm pretty sure that if he did use a racial slur then Costa would've told us by now, it would've made the news from either him or his team, it's Juve we're talking of.

Those two had a row between them before the talk, there was an initial 'foul' by di Francesco after which Costa dived pretending he got hit in his face, then there were two red-card worthy offences by Costa and then, finally, the talk and the spit. Presume the initial foul by di Francesco was enough to piss Costa off.

Last edited:

Le Red

Yes it is possible the reaction was caused by a racist remark. Yes, the player in question made a fascist gesture.
That is no excuse to assume that said racial offense actually happened, and also shouldn't be an excuse for such a violent outburst. There are better ways to handle racism, and still I see justification of violence by who claim to be on the side of "love". I also find quite funny that "never blame the victim" is deeply relativized whenever the agressor is perceived to be as part of a "minority".
If a mob lynchs a rapist, it's savagery and wrong. But if there's a slight suspicion of a racial offense then it's ok for the target to react violently? Make up your mind already if you want law to determine the punishment or justice to be made by your own hands. You can't just cherry pick that according to your arbitrary view of the world.
We live in a age where we are defined not by our actions, but by the group we are arbitrarily placed in, defined by race, gender, sexual orientation etc.
Nowadays, a man can't debate a woman without being accused of "mansplaining". So, paradoxally, men are actually coherced to treat women differently in order to not be accused of sexual prejudice.
Also, in 2018, if you are assaulted by a black men, that's because you are a racist, no questions asked.
Racism exists, sexism exists, homophoby exists plus a lot of other nasty stuff. But throwing accusations randomly and in the lack of any evidence is not going to make these problems go away. Ironically, that's a rather fascist thing to do and only adds fuel to the fire.
For those of you defending the agression over a preassumed racial offense, it's time to use your brain cells.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Bola

Did the resident sky expert on projecting saliva give any in-depth analysis on Monday Night Football? A bit of skill involved in fitting it though the mouth, but perhaps not as skilful as getting it through 2 car windows while travelling under speed, while also driving and not looking at the road ahead

Murray3007

If you want to be a coward and let someone talk about your family then so be it. maybe the friend did deserve the punch in the face tho.

Beagle

Given what happened, if the Sassuolo player reacted and punched the scumbag in the face, how would the the reaction be disciplined? Surely his reaction would be taken into context or would he get banned for knocking someone out?

Players should be allowed some leeway when dealing with gutter scum like Costa, Costa, Suarez and the like. Any reaction should only be mildly punished because this type of incident is not just against the spirit of the game but a public humiliation.

Red_toad

If you want to be a coward and let someone talk about your family then so be it. maybe the friend did deserve the punch in the face tho.
Yeah thanks for that reply. Shame people like you are allowed to post such distasteful opinions. What a vile little person you must be!

Last edited:

Charles Miller

We should take this incident as an oportunity to sign the player. He can join Pogba, and maybe we can sign Totti as assistent coach.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Wish he'd done that to a proper football man like Keane or Tony Adams.

Karappa

Not sure why there are people trying to explain Costa's actions or justify them. Not matter what the other player said to him (and it didn't look like it was a lot) you don't react like that to words, not on a football pitch and not in real life. If he insults you just laugh it off. The only thing Costa confirmed is that he is an unprofessional player because he let his emotions get the best of him...

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Spitting is such a weird reaction to provocation though. I can understand a headbutt or a kick. It indicates contempt not anger

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Not sure why there are people trying to explain Costa's actions or justify them. Not matter what the other player said to him (and it didn't look like it was a lot) you don't react like that to words, not on a football pitch and not in real life. If he insults you just laugh it off. The only thing Costa confirmed is that he is an unprofessional player because he let his emotions get the best of him...
Go down to your local pub and start swearing off at the bouncer and see how well that ends for you.

Karappa

Go down to your local pub and start swearing off at the bouncer and see how well that ends for you.
The bouncer would be doing his job in that case, your answer is like saying get in the octagon and curse at Conor and see how he reacts. It's not the job of a football player to react in that way, it's highly unprofessional and as much as I admire Zidane for example he cost his team and country a World Cup win with his selfish reaction in 2006...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The bouncer would be doing his job in that case, your answer is like saying get in the octagon and curse at Conor and see how he reacts. It's not the job of a football player to react in that way, it's highly unprofessional and as much as I admire Zidane for example he cost his team and country a World Cup win with his selfish reaction in 2006...
Why do people always assume France would have won the WC had Zidane not been sent off ? The game was going towards penalty shootout regardless.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
To be fair I find it interesting what the other player did to provoke this. I know it’s easy to say Costa should be wiser he probably should have been in this case but people can react in many different ways if provoked.

I actually think talking crap to your opponents, if heard by referee, should be punished on the pitch too if it is genuinely offensive. Very hard to catch as they usually don’t do this in front of referees but if they do then this should be a punishable offense.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
To be fair I find it interesting what the other player did to provoke this. I know it’s easy to say Costa should be wiser he probably should have been in this case but people can react in many different ways if provoked.

I actually think talking crap to your opponents, if heard by referee, should be punished on the pitch too if it is genuinely offensive. Very hard to catch as they usually don’t do this in front of referees but if they do then this should be a punishable offense.
Reacting is natural and human, but spitting as a reaction ? It's fecking disgusting

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Reacting is natural and human, but spitting as a reaction ? It's fecking disgusting
Yeah it is regardless of what he said. I’m just saying that provocations should also be punished in some cases.