Drawing away at a top 6 side is normal

meamth

Let's not forget our away form has been abnormal and a freak run in premier league history.

Getting one point at Leicester (top 6) is a good result!

I understand the frustrations we could've easily won the game 4-2 if Rashford scored his chances, but let's not overreact and keep supporting the team during this congested period.

Mindhunter

Let's not forget our away form has been abnormal and a freak run in premier league history.

I understand the frustrations we could've easily won the game 4-2 if Rashford scored his chances, but let's not overreact and keep supporting the team during this congested period.
No one is overreacting. It’s the usual assessment post match that we do. No one‘s saying we are doomed. We knew that our comeback wins were papering over the cracks and it would bite us eventually. That’s what happened today.

For a change we scored first but then our promiscuous defending and pedestrian finishing lost us two points. We should learn from this.

cyril C

Before the game, I thought a draw would be OK. During 1st 15min, I pray not to give away cheap goals considering what Lindelof was doing. When Rashford missed I know we will get another chance. During the last 15min I fear our bus parking would be under serious test as we are never good at bus parking. At the end, a draw was a fair result considering both sides were making mistakes, and we didn't lose.

Over-reaction? I think this is a typical Fan reaction. After a few wins someone thought we could win the league now because we are mathematically 2 points behind Liverpool. Had we lose, the same fan group might even shout "sack the manager, sell half of the squad"

rollingstoned1

It was a weird game we were the better team without being particularly good but didn't seem to have as much control as we should have. That 3 at the back thing seemed to have our entire back line confounded when they were in possession just because awb was injured. That we still came away feeling like we threw it away is.a credit to us imo, we are not yet at that level where we should realistically expect that level of consistency against good teams away from home often enough. Especially with a more than hectic fixture schedule and having to play early after less than 3 days against a good team away from home in the cup.

Rustyspider13

I think any overreaction you're seeing is a mixture of staunch 'Ole outers' and legitimate frustration over the way we drew. If we win the next two games, it'll be taken as a minor setback. If not, this game will be taken as a marker of how far off we are. Hopefully it's the former.

Tarrou

I would go a bit further, a draw against the top 6 away is a good result based on the last 7 years and being a 4th>7th team

it's a testament to how Ole has slowly raised the expectations in the last two years that so many people are annoyed about this result

we actually played poorly and Leicester played well but we did more than enough to win the game, this speaks volumes

this is how it should be frankly based on our budget.. but lets not be under any illusion that this isn't a massive improvement on the team that's been languishing in the Europa league spots for the best part of a decade

the turnaround since earlier in the season has been impressive

Jules_T

Predicted 2-2.
We let goals in at the moment.
But score some.
Leicester are a good compact side, we did well.

redNATION

Not when you’ve lost to palace at home, 6-1 to Spurs and to a terrible arsenal side, when you give away points like that, especially to your rivals, the expectation is that you’ll make up for it elsewhere. Liverpool set the bar, and they seem to go to these places and win. If we hope to win the league again then we need to be better than them.

Green_Red

Ndidi is a player, he made a big difference in midfield for them until we brought Pogba on. It feels like a missed opportunity but a point away from home against the side thats 2nd in the league is a good result, no matter what way you look at it. We now need to go and win the next few games at home.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think the issue about these draws are that it could bite us off. The main reason we were able to get 3rd last season because we got 6 points against Leicester, Chelsea and also 4 points against spurs. Their losing points means us gaining points which is why we were able to finish above them. Draw is better than lose but I think we need to start winning here. On the positive note we deserved to win yesterday, we created so much better chances, we missed shitters few times.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Not when you’ve lost to palace at home, 6-1 to Spurs and to a terrible arsenal side, when you give away points like that, especially to your rivals, the expectation is that you’ll make up for it elsewhere. Liverpool set the bar, and they seem to go to these places and win. If we hope to win the league again then we need to be better than them.
I think this is the key right here. A lot of fans are really deluded (or hopeful for the positive side) into thinking Man Utd is in the title race. Once you see that the title race isn't for this season then the assessment of a game like yesterday changes significantly.

United58

I think this is the key right here. A lot of fans are really deluded (or hopeful for the positive side) into thinking Man Utd is in the title race. Once you see that the title race isn't for this season then the assessment of a game like yesterday changes significantly.
Fully agree with this

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I agree but at the same time there's this feeling that tells me we should have won the game. Leicester looked like they wouldn't have gotten anything from that game. It's not only about your opponents but how they perform in the match, if they perform badly and we don't take the advantage then it's points lost. I'm quite happy mind you, I didn't expect us to be sitting this high on the table with one game less than 2nd and 3rd place. But yeah I'll try to forget about challenging for the title, as tempting as it sounds. We lack consistency.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I agree but at the same time there's this feeling that tells me we should have won the game. Leicester looked like they wouldn't have gotten anything from that game. It's not only about your opponents but how they perform in the match, if they perform badly and we don't take the advantage then it's points lost. I'm quite happy mind you, I didn't expect us to be sitting this high on the table with one game less than 2nd and 3rd place. But yeah I'll try to forget about challenging for the title, as tempting as it sounds. We lack consistency.
But those things do happen in a season. The team who plays better doesn't always win. Against Brighton for example the luck went with us and we got the result but I don't think anyone would say they weren't unlucky not to at least get a point.

Dr. StrangeHate

It is if top 4 is our target. If winning the title is our target then it is a bad result.

El Zoido

We’re a really good side and are clearly continuing to improve. This forum is nuts, I can’t get my head around the constant complaints.

Remember the geese

The disappointment comes from having to acknowledge that we aren't going to win the league. This shows the progress we are making as a club. We are arguably the second best team in the league and standards and expectations are beginning to rise. In past years, even under Fergie, yes, a draw away to a top 4/6 side would not be seen as too bad a result. However, City in the past and Liverpool currently have raised the bar to a point where a draw against anyone can be seriously detrimental to any league winning aspirations you may have. I was annoyed with the draw yesterday, partly because the game was there for us, but also because I'm not interested in being viewed alongside also-rans like Spurs, Chelsea, City and the like. I feel that we are getting closer to where we need to be, but we aren't quite there yet. The frustration is bittersweet because it juxtaposes the shift in my own expectations as a fan. From someone who has become accustomed to wishing for a Champions League birth, to feeling the frustration that comes with an admittedly optimistic, yet failing, title challenge.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Think it all comes down to our next two games during this festive fixture schedule. If we beat both Wolves & Villa in our next two league games, then the Leicester result is a very good point. If we end up dropping points then the result yesterday is going to be seen as a poor result and two points dropped.

Think the most annoying aspect for me yesterday was Rashford’s two huge missed chances and Leicester’s two shots on target the whole game ending up going in.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Personally I thought a point was a good result, but it's frustrating when you go ahead twice and fail to win the game due to bad defending...again! Would've been such a statement win if we could've held on for that ten minutes.

SATA

The only game that i felt we were wasteful in not winning were probably Arsenal at home, we really really shouldn't had lost to that lot. But yeah perhaps yesterday too considering we were winning with only five minutes to go. Palace at home too in the season opener but it was so obvious that the team wasn't fit at all

Steve Bruce

A draw against a top 6 team is fine, but what's not fine is not winning any top 6 games. (I don't count Southampton, I'm talking Leicester, Chelsea, arsenal(albeit they've been poor this season) , spurs, City & Liverpool(who we are still to play))

We've picked up 3 points from 15, 3 draws 2 defeats. That isn't good enough, surely we can agree on that

Crashoutcassius

I actually think the reaction has been fair

what that means on this forum is a number of people are just staying quiet and waiting for a better chance to blaze in

But I do think most forum posters are recognising this for what it is - Ole doing something most fans forgot he could, which is crank out results and performances at a 7/10 consistency level.

Going on streaks might be the best Ole can manage, and it is probably what will get him the sack in the end. But we are a dangerous side this season in that we can have poor streaks of performances and good results... now hopefully a good streak of performances + good results.

Dream for me is we arrive in summer having put up a decent challenge, champions league spots, lots of sensational counter attacking goals scored, pogba leaves for good money and the club actually sign 3 first team players for next season, and we meaningfully improve our solidity, our ball retention, our ruthlessness in front of goal, while continuing playing the players we produced and continue to score exciting goals on the break, the most manchester united of all things for me

SAFMUTD

I agree those are the games where you expect to drop points but as some have mentioned those games are key to top 4 and ultimately the title. They count double since you take points from the other candidates as well.

If we want to be in the title race then we can't count them as normal, not with how the latest season have gone.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s only really disappointing because we led twice. It’s that cliche thing with a draw where if you get the equaliser it feels like a good point, but if you give up your lead it feels like two points dropped. We need to win most of our matches if we want to compete for the title, but I’m not convinced we’re quite there yet anyway.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Well this gameweek we were certainly better than Liverpool.

Rossa

That aged well. Liverpool drawing against West Brom, at home, no less.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Why couldn't we be in the title race this season? Nobody is pulling away. There's only 7 points between 1st and 9th with some (ourselves included) with a game or 2 in hand and nobody is playing consistently good football. Liverpool will probably keep plugging away but we should be up there plugging away with them and we now have the squad to offset most injuries or to give players a break. The next 5 or 6 games could shape the rest of the season and I don't think anyone would say either Wolves or Villa have a better squad than ours. Then we have the big one against Liverpool. Get a result there then anything is possible followed by 2 of our easiest games in the season in Fulham and SU.

City will also be a threat but no one can say they've been in impressive form so far this season. If we take care of our own results then anything is possible.

Danillaco

As a generic statement you are correct. But watching the game and seeing how dominant and wasteful we were, adding the chronic lack of defensive awareness, undoubtedly it was a bad result.

United should've beat Leicester, and wouldn't be out of order.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For most fans, the top 4 trophy is more than enough.
For older fans like me, who have known us to constantly be in a title race, 4th place is failure and should see wholesale changes made.
I remember when we finished 3rd under SAF, major changes were made so that we could get back to title winning ways. These days, 4th place is considered a good achievement.

And regarding us not being in a title race, why is Ole getting away with this? He's had half a year to assess the squad. A 2nd year to drill the team in his tactics. And in his 3rd year aiming for 4th place?
We should be aiming to win the title and run Liverpool close for 1st place, all the way.

We have arguably the best No.10 in the World and quite possibly the best player in the World, at his absolute peak. Had Jose had Bruno in the team when we finished 2nd, we'd definitely have run MCFC close, scoring 90+ points.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why couldn't we be in the title race this season? Nobody is pulling away. There's only 7 points between 1st and 9th with some (ourselves included) with a game or 2 in hand and nobody is playing consistently good football. Liverpool will probably keep plugging away but we should be up there plugging away with them and we now have the squad to offset most injuries or to give players a break. The next 5 or 6 games could shape the rest of the season and I don't think anyone would say either Wolves or Villa have a better squad than ours. Then we have the big one against Liverpool. Get a result there then anything is possible followed by 2 of our easiest games in the season in Fulham and SU.

City will also be a threat but no one can say they've been in impressive form so far this season. If we take care of our own results then anything is possible.
It's how I feel it. It's a nice suprise to be this close to the 1st place to be honest but if we're in there come matchday 20, I will believe it.
We're one injury away to Bruno or even Rashford to struggle badly for goals

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!

Its a good result on paper but if you watched all 90minutes of that game youd know we actually dropped 2 points. Definitely shouldve won

Walters_19_MuFc

All things considered, it definitely is a good result, however, when you go ahead in the 80th min, you expect to probably go on and win the game from there.

As Ole said, we could have probably controlled the game better but we've made massive strides as a team. As you rightly pointed out, we have superb record away. If we can just sort out our home form, then we'll be well away.

lex talionis

It was a good result given our earlier woes this season and it’s a good result from a top four perspective, but a win in that fixture would have firmly put us in the conversation for a PL run. But who among us really believed three months ago or even going into this match that we were strong enough a squad to seriously contend fir the PL trophy?

There are still plenty of matches to play (well, we’ll see about that in light of Covid) but I don’t think we can seriously entertain the possibility of United lifting the PL trophy this season after watching our performance against Leicester City, which was good...but not good enough.

Longshanks

For most fans, the top 4 trophy is more than enough.
For older fans like me, who have known us to constantly be in a title race, 4th place is failure and should see wholesale changes made.
I remember when we finished 3rd under SAF, major changes were made so that we could get back to title winning ways. These days, 4th place is considered a good achievement.

And regarding us not being in a title race, why is Ole getting away with this? He's had half a year to assess the squad. A 2nd year to drill the team in his tactics. And in his 3rd year aiming for 4th place?
We should be aiming to win the title and run Liverpool close for 1st place, all the way.

We have arguably the best No.10 in the World and quite possibly the best player in the World, at his absolute peak. Had Jose had Bruno in the team when we finished 2nd, we'd definitely have run MCFC close, scoring 90+ points.
We are no longer the dominant force in English football, since SAF left we have fallen further and further behind the top 2/3 teams and have finished outside of the top 4 more often than not.

Its interesting that you mention when we finished 3rd under SAF, which time in particular was it 01/02,03/04 or 04/05.

SAF rebuilt the side in those years we transitioned from the treble winning side to the 08 double winning side. But it didnt happen overnight it took a few seasons to get right and we were nowhere near as far behind as what we were when Ole took over.

Despite that we are currently in the title race playing some really good attacking exciting football, it's not the finished article yet but this is by far the best season so far since SAF left even though are expectation was to just close the gap and get top 4 again.

It took SAF 2-3 seasons to complete a smaller rebuild from a better position yet you expect Ole to have completed it in 18 months?

OnceInALifetime

We’re having the best progress since SAF. If you take into consideration baseline of the team back then with Keane, Giggs, Ferdinand, Van Nistelrooy etc - then and now you could also argue that OGS’s team is having better progress then in the rebuild in 2001-2005. Look at the same time at the other teams in the league then and now; it’s tougher now and we lack the type of leaders (and still some quality) we need. But you clearly see in OGS project that he’s trying to bring leaders in; Cavani, Bruno, Maguire.. look also at Telles mentality fex. It’s bye bye JLINGZ and social media and hello hard work and leadership. We’re soon where we should be - at the top. Have faith :-)

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It's how I feel it. It's a nice suprise to be this close to the 1st place to be honest but if we're in there come matchday 20, I will believe it.
We're one injury away to Bruno or even Rashford to struggle badly for goals
I know what you mean about Bruno. I was interested in any injuries he's had in the past and according to transfermarkt he's amazingly only missed 1 game when he had the flu since the 2016/17 season. Maybe burnout could be a factor but if he's used right it could be controlled. Not taking games for granted but we should have more than enough to beat Fulham and SU without him.

Rashford is a strange one. He's not exactly playing great but he's still knocking in the goals but if he does have the misfortune to miss a run of games we have Martial to play out wide and Cavani or even Greenwood (what's happening with him?) to play as a 9. Might even do Martial a favour taking the pressure off him as CF.

We're certainly in a stronger position than last season for squad depth and so far have been very lucky with injuries which could of course change but as long as the squads used right and all the planets align then maybe we won't be too far off.

MattofManchester

There's really going to become a thread for absolutely every opinion that needs validation, isn't there?

Might as well merge this site with Reddit.

Cliche Guevara

It wasn’t a good result. Why do people keep saying this?

We were a goal up with four minutes to go in a game we should have had won. We are currently in a title race. We threw away two points. Leicester aren’t a particularly good team.

If that draw was a good result what would a defeat have been, an OK result?

We gave points away cheaply and unnecessarily.