Dubai a contender to buy Man Utd

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The Glazers are definitely the least worst option. It does matter what your owners do outside of sport, as much as some people may want to pretend it doesn't. I hope this doesn't happen.
Of these two, sure.

But there is plenty of scope for owners who are better than both. Even if we just traded nasty money-hungry capitalists for nasty money-hungry capitalists who are actually capabale of running a football club to a high functioning level, that would be better again than both.

Reiver

Of these two, sure.

But there is plenty of scope for owners who are better than both. Even if we just traded nasty money-hungry capitalists for nasty money-hungry capitalist who are actually capabale of running a football club to a high functioning level, that would be better again.
You're right. But to read some posters, it's the Glazers or a morally questionable State and that's the only two options.

Grande

You have to laugh at people on here. We want glazers out. But they can’t be American. They can’t be part of an investment fund. They can’t be from the Middle East. You all want some imaginary benefactor willing to spend 4bn without any concept of return. Unless Ratcliffe sticks his money where his mouth is there are very few “good” options. Hopefully he will make a bid but even he isn’t doing it out of altruism.
You want to treat it like all men are evil and every kind of evil is equal, but that is not true. Leeches are bad, fascists and tyrants are immensely worse. Equalling that to someone who ‘isn’t doing it out of altruism’ is not really helpful.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
How on earth is fan ownership possible? Unless you are referring to Ratcliffe who is a fan but also very very rich.

The fanbase between us couldn't raise the 4-5bn between us all. We'd not even raise 1bn.

The only way the Glazers go is being bought by wealthy people sadly.

I also don't want UAE money though.
Something like that, yes.

Greck

Absolutely sickening to know the leaches ;
(i)who didn't spend a dime of their money to buy the club...
(ii) ...get to walk away with several billions in profit...
(iii) ...while the buyer probably also inherits their debt from their "purchase" of the club.

If only we could compel them to take the debt with them on their way out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Dubai vs Abu Dhabi would be funny, only around 60 minutes away on the E311

Think Abu Dhabi has more money than Dubai though, but Uniteds revenue and Dubai having a great set of advisors would make United some force, I would 100% go for that move.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
The xenophobia whenever any middle Eastern owners are mentioned is hilarious. The Western nations are the biggest murders in the world but oh no not some brown people. So transparent.

Grande

Dubai is a tyranny who jails journalists for searching for truth, have legitimized slavery, have half it’s people demoted to second rate beings (women). Read up on Amnesty International’s pages.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Ugh, feck that.

We're truly screwed either way ey ..
No we aren't. City's owners have been brilliant...you can have your own thoughts and views regarding their culture and way of living and whatnot, I have no interest in debating that. But you can't deny that City are a very well run club.
So no we won't be screwed. If anything, a club like United in the right hands is a scary prospect for our rivals.

CallyRed

Bit of a nonsense article. Nothing linking with Dubai, just a "feeling".

BarstoolProphet

Dubai vs Abu Dhabi would be funny, only around 60 minutes away on the E311

Think Abu Dhabi has more money than Dubai though, but Uniteds revenue and Dubai having a great set of advisors would make United some force, I would 100% go for that move.
They have and have also funded and bailed out Dubai after financial crisis but Dubai has been working for years to diversify their economy and make it more sustainable (tourism, business, renewable energy sources) and profitable long-term. Unsure if Abu Dhabi manages that. But a comparison of wealth doesn't really matter - they both got enough to make a few extra billion hardly noticeable.

TsuWave

United with infinite money would be insane

hell, United without parasite owners would be insane already. Infinite money would be cheat code

Chief123

The xenophobia whenever any middle Eastern owners are mentioned is hilarious. The Western nations are the biggest murders in the world but oh no not some brown people. So transparent.
Oh be careful what you say around here. Western owners are squeaky clean.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The owners haven't spent 220m this summer to then sell us sadly.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
But Western governments don't own any PL clubs. It's individuals like the Glazers. All these Middle Eastern owners are the rulers?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No way mate. They're significantly better and still shite, but Saudis are another level.

Homosexuality whilst illegal isnt as agressively prosecuted and Christians aren't publically executed. I know that's a low bar, but it's a massive difference.
For a gay person, this means it’s illegal to exist. Don’t want our club having anything to do with that.

“Better than Saudis” doesn’t come close to an acceptable standard.

Robertd0803

I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
This wins.

Also the quote says "is a contender". Doesnt mean anything yet and Id consider it strange if the Emirates or similar wasnt a contender to buy the biggest club in the world. Along with various consortiums etc.

If its true United are available to buy then every similar group in the world would be contenders.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Oh be careful what you say around here. Western owners are squeaky clean.
Who has ever said they were squeaky clean?

But there's a significant difference between "not squeaky clean" and "actively commits human rights violations".

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
They have and have also funded and bailed out Dubai after financial crisis but Dubai has been working for years to diversify their economy and make it more sustainable (tourism, business, renewable energy sources) and profitable long-term. Unsure if Abu Dhabi manages that. But a comparison of wealth doesn't really matter - they both got enough to make a few extra billion hardly noticeable.
Yeah Dubai's chief revenue is tourism now, they have done really really well. I lived in the UAE for 4 years (left this year), I'd be all for United getting bought by it. Get a megastore at Dubai Mall, they'd make United on the field one of the very best IMO. They tend to appoint the right people for development.

Boondog

Dubai is a tyranny who jails journalists for searching for truth, have legitimized slavery, have half it’s people demoted to second rate beings (women). Read up on Amnesty International’s pages.
Dubai is one of the greatest cities in the world. They're doing a lot of things right. I know this is hard to understand, but there are other cultures in this world who do not value everything the same way you do.

I'd be very happy with them buying the club. In fact the only people I wouldn't want buying the club are owners who have previously shown themselves to be bad with other teams. Like Woody Johnson for example. He would be worse than the Glazers if you look at their respective ability to field winning teams in the NFL.

OleGunnar20

No we aren't. City's owners have been brilliant...you can have your own thoughts and views regarding their culture and way of living and whatnot, I have no interest in debating that. But you can't deny that City are a very well run club.
So no we won't be screwed. If anything, a club like United in the right hands is a scary prospect for our rivals.
Sure, I think it's clear where we'll disagree here. No point in rehashing the same old ethics argument that goes around in circles anytime a rumour like this pops up - its a personal judgement at the end of the day ey.

I'd personally be gutted if we were bought by any of these dodgy regimes, but appreciate many see it differently.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You want to treat it like all men are evil and every kind of evil is equal, but that is not true. Leeches are bad, fascists and tyrants are immensely worse. Equalling that to someone who ‘isn’t doing it out of altruism’ is not really helpful.
No. I want people to actually engage their brain when they demand the glazers sell and think who outside of an investment group, American/any other nationality billionaire looking to grow the asset for profit or a state for sportwashing will be willing to spend 4 billion on a fecking football club with 600m debt and hundreds of millions required in infrastructure investment. Jim sounds like the dream because at least he’s a fan - but instead of publicly declaring his interest he needs to get a group together and bid. That’s how it works.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The owners haven’t spent 220m this summer, the club has.
I'm fully aware of that my good man but surely you realise that the club is theirs? That money could have easily been kept for them.

Personally I'd love them to go and one day they will bit I think they will hold on a bit longer yet.

Sviken

It's easy to be brilliant when you're playing with unlimited money cheat code. City have spent obscene amount of money on players and upgrading their training facilities and club infrastructure, as well as getting the best possible people for their jobs. They wouldn't have that if they didn't get cash injected up the ass with oil

VanDeBank

Ma’am
For a gay person, this means it’s illegal to exist. Don’t want our club having anything to do with that.

“Better than Saudis” doesn’t come close to an acceptable standard.
I'm aware, I'm gay.

It's undeniable Emirates is less crap than Saudi Arabia on a wide range of issues. You're just repeating what I saw with regards to that being a low bar.

We're owned by Republican donors, who would be fine (and have been in the past) with the same funamentalist nonsense as long as they keep their low taxes, subsidies and deregulated business.

The people the Glazers are in bed with have done far more damage to far more people on a global scale (and probably within the US population alone) than Dubai ever could.

The difference is the Glazers own us to turn a short term profit. The arabs are likely to have a less myopic game plan.

Whoever has amassed the wealth needed to buy is in 99,9% of cases, complete and utter human garbage.

Finding a less scummy person/institution than Dubai to get us out from under the glazers is a relatively unimportant consideration to me.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'm fully aware of that my good man but surely you realise that the club is theirs? That money could have easily been kept for them.

Personally I'd love them to go and one day they will bit I think they will hold on a bit longer yet.
It’s an important distinction though. Our owners never spend.

I agree they’ll hang on in case this team achieves something special

Marcelinho87

If Dubai want the club, they will have the club.

No feelings here will make a blind bit of difference.

Vapor trail

It's easy to be brilliant when you're playing with unlimited money cheat code. City have spent obscene amount of money on players and upgrading their training facilities and club infrastructure, as well as getting the best possible people for their jobs. They wouldn't have that if they didn't get cash injected up the ass with oil
No it's not, compared to most domestic clubs united have spent obscene amounts of money and the planning has been diabolical. The glazers is the only differentiation between United and City and the results are night and day. Money is not an answer to diligence it takes vision, strategy and implementation to pioneer development. Sure City have the resources to make these things tangible but they come from astute minds.

City are a very well run club. The scouting, to the infrastructure to the first team players and the DOF. Everything is cohesive that's why Pep leaving eventually will not make or break the club they will continue to remain competitive unless something unexpected happens. Who the Glazers sell the club to fans have no real influence over its whoever pays the amount. What's telling is that the recent developments and signs point towards a sale being closer compared to any other period they have had ownership.

sancho1983

There's a distinct difference between someone from Dubai owning us and dubai owning us. The same as there's a distinct difference between the Saudis owning Newcastle and someone from Saudi owning them

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As I've already said, hard to find owners with morals who can front up even the majority of the cash to rid us of the Glazer plague.

Having said that, your point is absolutely moronic. Whatever you might want to claim about Western nations, it's not the actual countries buying the club, it's businessmen and private individuals who admittedly may have links to dodgy dealings.

In the case of Dubai, et. al., it's the state with all the associated baggage that comes with it. I am not saying it won't and shouldn't happen but claiming xenophobia is such a childish viewpoint

Hurray for casual racism, but it's the Arabs so who cares, right?
Perfect example of a victim complex making you look a bit silly :lol:

wolvored

Like I said. There's no ordinary billionaire who can actually afford us. It simply has to be some insanely wealthy bezos type person to buy us. Its hilarious thinking Jim is that man. Wishful thinking.
If you read his quotes he said his Ineos company, worth 60 billion, would purchase it if he got the chance.