Film Dune

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
What a cynic.

Lynch had put me off reading Dune for the past 15 years, but with Sting's codpiece a fading memory the urge to give the book a go was finally returning. But the new trailer has put a dampener on that. It's selling that same dreary portentousness as every other bloated sci-fi actioner. I thought Dune was supposed to be all about spice trading and riding the worm. This looks like that familiar Hollywood warrior hokum, filtered through a tired Orientalism, that seems to stink up every fantasy show.
Def felt like a Game of Thrones/ latest Star Wars trilogy mashup video. It'll have Zimmer doing a really loud score we've aleady heard before as well.

hungrywing

The Villeneuve aesthetics
Don't be so insensitive. His wiki says he was attacked by a box of colored paper when he was young.

Not convinced on Chalamet as Muad'Dib yet, he likes to mumble.
He's almost surely self-conscious about his voice at this point. Terrific actor, though.

What a cynic.

Lynch had put me off reading Dune for the past 15 years, but with Sting's codpiece a fading memory the urge to give the book a go was finally returning. But the new trailer has put a dampener on that. It's selling that same dreary portentousness as every other bloated sci-fi actioner. I thought Dune was supposed to be all about spice trading and riding the worm. This looks like that familiar Hollywood warrior hokum, filtered through a tired Orientalism, that seems to stink up every fantasy show.
If you're worried that's what the book is going to be then you're probably going to really like the book. Especially the next one(s) that the original author wrote.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What a cynic.

I'm wondering how representative that trailer really will be for the film as whole. The whole thing is a little ethereal, but then it has these brief hints at big action scenes. Depending which part of the trailer will turn out to have the upper hand, the actual film can still turn out in quite a few different ways.

I know Sting wasn't quite Oscar material in the Lynch film, but Kyle MacLachlan was also pretty bloody terrible as Agamemnon's distant whatever...
Ahhh the first Dune game that looked just like Lynch's movie. Mixing strategy with adventure point n click could be too weird even for today. World wasn't simply prepared. :lol:

Sonic tanks can be deadly even for it's own units, though... was always fuming when playing Harkonnen and one sonic tank could damage my units, defense tower and buildings behind by firing just a single wave. It was great touch for Atreides having thing for sound wave and weaponizing it for mobile divisions. If I was Villeneuve I would just play the games rather than watching Lynch's version and obsessing too much over it. So many cool ideas.
Yeah, I played that first Dune game, but just didn't get it at all. Such a mess!

I never got on very well with the Ordos. I played all the missions in full, but I enjoyed the Atreides and Harkonnen much more. A bit like @Van Piorsing, I would defend until I could create my two-line army (in the final stages: siege tanks in front, rocket launchers in the back) to slowly destroy everything on the map: the rocket launchers destroy buildings from a distance while the siege tanks take care of anyone coming to harass me. It's basically how I always played RTSs afterwards. I would have so sucked at Stargatecraft online. :lol:

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can understand the slight criticism in the trailer regarding the lack of a more creative,vibrant palette concerning set design and especially costume work.

I felt Villeneuve got the aesthetics perfectly with his BR sequel ,though it helped that the original set a perfect path for that particular look . But before BR I have found his films to be rather toned down in colour.

Mike Smalling

I know nothing about Dune, but that trailer looked pretty good. Also, Villeneuve is a fantastic director - probably my favorite at the moment. Will basically watch anything with his name on it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I never got on very well with the Ordos. I played all the missions in full, but I enjoyed the Atreides and Harkonnen much more. A bit like @Van Piorsing, I would defend until I could create my two-line army (in the final stages: siege tanks in front, rocket launchers in the back) to slowly destroy everything on the map: the rocket launchers destroy buildings from a distance while the siege tanks take care of anyone coming to harass me. It's basically how I always played RTSs afterwards. I would have so sucked at Stargate online. :lol:
I remember rocket turrets and launchers is mandatory when playing against advanced tech Atreides, especially in Dune 2000 when they were flooding the whole map with Ornithopter strikes.

If not Stargate then most likely Starcraft would be your thing where the two line counter attack army works perfectly when playing Terran race. In defense you build bunkers full of space marines and right behind them and on sides tanks which can transform into stationary long range artillery. Most likely Blizzard wre inspired heavily by Dune and Command & Conquer when creating Starcraft franchise.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I remember rocket turrets and launchers is mandatory when playing against advanced tech Atreides, especially in Dune 2000 when they were flooding the whole map with Ornithopter strikes.

If not Stargate then most likely Starcraft would be your thing where the two line counter attack army works perfectly when playing Terran race. In defense you build bunkers full of space marines and right behind them and on sides tanks which can transform into stationary long range artillery. Most likely Blizzard wre inspired heavily by Dune and Command & Conquer when creating Starcraft franchise.
StarCRAFT - I know something sounded odd about Stargate (awesome series btw), but couldn't figure it out and just left it. :lol:

I know the tactic works in offline play in Stargate, but online seems to be much quicker, starting with almost guerrilla style attacks right from the get go. I'm out if I don't get to slowly build my base and army until I have my crushing machine. :)

Anyway - yes, Dune, Villeneuve. Looking forward to it! (Still have to watch Sicario. Unfortunately Incendies has been removed again from my Netflix.)

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Trailer looks terrible. Such a shame Jodorowsky's Dune was not meant to be.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Is it me or do the Harkonens not look evil enough?
Trailer shows very little of their army's firepower which is a must to capture it on big screen. Their heavy infantry had almost robotic presence, same thing with Emperor's Sardaukar troops which had also a bit of alien tech aesthetics.

Villeneuve probably got enough budget to show that so no excuses this time.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Jodorowsky's DUNE would've been so trippy. Shame on you Hollywood you w*nkers.
Indeed, Frank. Ideally, Jodorowsky would have made Dune and Lynch would have made Return of the Jedi. But no.

Sweet Square

I know nothing about Dune, but that trailer looked pretty good. Also, Villeneuve is a fantastic director - probably my favorite at the moment. Will basically watch anything with his name on it.
Same. Villeneuve is top class director, so chances are it will be worth watching.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Indeed, Frank. Ideally, Jodorowsky would have made Dune and Lynch would have made Return of the Jedi. But no.
Lucas interviewing Lynch for ROTJ was certainly out-there.
Still, another famous 'would could have been' moment.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Villeneuve Is fecking fantastic. This has a great cast. It will be brilliant. Can’t wait. Trailer looks epic.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Unless the whole thing is using the dark side of the moon as a soundtrack I'll be dissapointed.

Simbo

Villeneuve + Zimmer? Job done folks, this will be epic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
DUNE 84 is far more visually interesting with a great sense of texture and depth. A heavy baroque influence is clear.
There's such a noticeable and refreshing distinctive art style between the Atreides and the Harkonnens in Lynch's 84 adaption.

DUNE 2020 on the otherhand,going by the trailer atleast, has very little going for it in comparison in this particular field. Bland,cold,charmless and generally lacking in any form of creative exuberance.

WTF,Denis ?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The aesthetics I care about for Dune are a sense of the huge scale, the desolation, and the massive fecking worms.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I love what fans did to classic Dune. That princess Irulan intro always gets me and in this version the soundtrack is way more hearable.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The '84 Dune is a misunderstood classic' think pieces are on the cusp of being published.

Sylar

I love how within a few posts we go from trailer looks awesome to trailer looks terrible then back to great mixed with yay Zimmer to ugh Zimmer...

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I love how within a few posts we go from trailer looks awesome to trailer looks terrible then back to great mixed with yay Zimmer to ugh Zimmer...
Zimmer hate is so weird, he's crafted some of most memorable OSTs of the last few decades, especially the Going For Gold theme.

Sweet Square

Zimmer hate is so weird, he's crafted some of most memorable OSTs of the last few decades, especially the Going For Gold theme.
It's both Nolan shite sound mixing and Zimmer dark knight soundtrack which spawned a future generation of terrible copy artists that gets him all the hate.

His blade runner soundtrack is great and so is some of his early work(Black Rain soundtrack :drool:)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
It's both Nolan shite sound mixing and Zimmer dark knight soundtrack which spawned a future generation of terrible copy artists that gets him all the hate.

His blade runner soundtrack is great and so is some of his early work(Black Rain soundtrack :drool:)
Harsh to give him shit based on copycats. Who exactly is ripping him off? And in which films?

I'm not disagreeing, and I've definitely sat watching a film and thought "that sounds a little Zimmer-esque", but I feel like it's always been that way with OSTs.

Mendes ripping off of the Dark Knight with Skyfall was more grating for me. As someone who watched TDK an inordinate amount of times, it was so obvious, yet there was very little criticism.

I'd argue that the drone effect from the Inception trailer had more of an impact on film music than Hans, and that was by Zack Hemsey:

Sweet Square

Harsh to give him shit based on copycats. Who exactly is ripping him off? And in which films?

I'm not disagreeing, and I've definitely sat watching a film and thought "that sounds a little Zimmer-esque", but I feel like it's always been that way with OSTs.

Mendes ripping off of the Dark Knight with Skyfall was more grating for me. As someone who watched TDK an inordinate amount of times, it was so obvious, yet there was very little criticism.
oh yeah I think the criticism is harsh. It's not really Zimmer faults and it happens to all influential artists at some point. The rip offs are basically every superhero movie and action movie since the dark knight , the latest terminator film is a great example imo.

Still Zimmer can't complain after ripping off this gem

I'd argue that the drone effect from the Inception trailer had more of an impact on film music than Hans, and that was by Zack Hemsey:
God this one song has caused me so much misery over the years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’m 333 pages into the book. Is it safe to watch the trailer without seeing anything spoilery?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’m 333 pages into the book. Is it safe to watch the trailer without seeing anything spoilery?
Don't remember the book in that much detail; what do you know about The planet Dune so far? (Better spoiler that.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Nothing against Zimmer in general, but I was really disappointed by the Blade Runner soundtrack. That's partly because I absolutely love the Vangelis sound track of the first film, and Zimmer doesn't go in that direction at all. (For me, the best musical moment of 2049 is when Vangelis's music is reused for the final scene!) But it's also because I really don't like those big, loud drones, of which there are plenty in 2049. Poor job, in my view. Hope Villeneuve didn't ask Zimmer to go for the same feel in Dune.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'd wait until book 3, if you're already that far in. Think that's when they'll split the films.