Film Dune

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The original or the sequel ?
Sequel. It's not been that long.

But there's very few movies coming out these years that I feel are actually worth the cinematic experience.
Star wars sort of.
Marvel stuff not so much anymore. The hobbit should have been but was an insulting cash grab that really turned me off cinema. I watched a 4 hour fan edit at home and that was actually quite good.

Been watching season 1 of the original star trek series lately. Yeah the effects are shit and all that, but cinematographically, the willingness to spend a few seconds on a scene presentation is something I dearly miss from modern filming. The pacing of modern filming is mostly shit.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Been watching season 1 of the original star trek series lately. Yeah the effects are shit and all that, but cinematographically, the willingness to spend a few seconds on a scene presentation is something I dearly miss from modern filming. The pacing of modern filming is mostly shit.
Absolutely! This bothers me to no end. There is so little patience with shots.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yep. I remember seeing one of the new Star Wars films where there was a cut like every 3 seconds. It was jarring and disruptive to the entire film.

This will be the first movie I will go to the cinema to see since bladerunner.
Impressive that you've managed to avoid the cinema since 1982.

Yes I ignored your follow-up to make this crap joke.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I remember seeing one of the new Star Wars films where there was a cut like every 3 seconds. It was jarring and disruptive to the entire film.

Impressive that you've managed to avoid the cinema since 1982.

Yes I ignored your follow-up to make this crap joke.
:lol: :lol:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
There’s a couple of Sergio Leone films that spring to mind which are the antithesis of this. Once Upon a Time in the West. The opening scene. And the director’s cut of once upon a time in America, where a boy brings a cake as a present to a girl and while he’s waiting for her at the door slowly starts to eat it. These shots and scenes last for freaking ages and it’s so cool.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There’s a couple of Sergio Leone films that spring to mind which are the antithesis of this. Once Upon a Time in the West. The opening scene. And the director’s cut of once upon a time in America, where a boy brings a cake as a present to a girl and while he’s waiting for her at the door slowly starts to eat it. These shots and scenes last for freaking ages and it’s so cool.
Exactly. Lots of other films from that time also though. I think the hurry is something that really became more prominent in the 00s, but I might be wrong: it's just a feeling. Villeneuve is definitely of the (relatively) patient school, which is nice.

Mercurial

Just came from viewing DUNE 2021 at an IMAX Laser. Impressive imagery, something fell a little short for me, I give it a 7/10. The final edit seem to lack some of the dialogue in favor of visuals.

Last edited:

Mercurial

That jibes with a lot of the early reviews.
I reluctantly relate and yield to those reviews after seeing it.

The type of editing that prefers action over some of the character developments is definitely accurate description. You would think Hollywood, specially WB execs would have learned by now to not meddle.

I would still strongly recommend to go see it, preferably @ IMAX if one is available, its a massive feast for the eyes and senses.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I reluctantly relate and yield to those reviews after seeing it.

The type of editing that prefers action over some of the character developments is definitely accurate description. You would think Hollywood, specially WB execs would have learned by now to not meddle.

I would still strongly recommend to go see it, preferably @ IMAX if one is available, its a massive feast for the eyes and senses.
I don't like iMax theatres due to the weird aspect ratio and steep seating arrangement.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Absolutely great film. Villeneuve knocked it out of the park. Beautiful imagery, wonderfully paced and just an overall feast for anyone who loves cinema. Should be seen in a theatre and not at home, it'd be a massive waste.

So so good. Just a shame there wasn't more Zendaya in this part.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How badly is it doing at the US box office? Asking because I want to see it, but I'm really busy till next Friday and possibly till the end of the month.

e - the websites say it releases next month??? is the US release delayed?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
How badly is it doing at the US box office? Asking because I want to see it, but I'm really busy till next Friday and possibly till the end of the month.

e - the websites say it releases next month??? is the US release delayed?
Same for the UK, hence the thread title.

OleBoiii

Incredibly high-production value and beautiful to look at, but I just couldn't get into it.

Despite being 2 and half hours long and almost purely a setup for the next films, the story and characters just felt very hollow. The book is 400 pages long and according to my friend this film only covers 1/3 of it. I guess it's shaping up to be a trilogy then?

I have no doubt that there will be some serious payoff in the next 2 films, but does that justify a long film that is purely setting things up? You might argue that if this was a TV series then I'd have no problem with 2-3 long episodes setting things up, and you're right. But TV series are different for 2 reasons:

1. All episodes are dropped simultaneously or you can expect an episode next week(unless it's a season finale). With these trilogies you have another year or two of waiting.
2. Unlike TV episodes, films should always work reasonably well as stand-alones. The LOTR trilogy managed this. In fact, The Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite LOTR film.

In terms of storytelling, some books are just very hard to make into film. It would seem like Dune is one of them.

Dante

Average bang
I love a bit of sci-fi/fantasy world building. But Dune tried to pack way too much into 2 and a half hours. And we barely got to any of the actual plot at the end of it.

I liked it for what it was. But this should really have been a TV series rather than a movie.

It's undeniably got some amazing visuals. Though I thought the orientalist aesthetic was a bit on the nose for what's supposed to be a technologically advanced future civilisation.

Also, huge parts of it didn't make any sense. It's one to watch with a suspension of logic.

Part 1 is probably one for the book readers to gawp over more than the cinema watchers to actually follow. Hopefully the sequels will start to get into the meat of the storyline a bit more.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The film-makers intend to make one sequal to finish off the story. (Not more, @Dante, @OleBoiii.) But whether the film studio will let them do it depends on how well this first film will do.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Getting great reviews.

The fact that it's the same director as Blade Runner 2049 has me looking forward to it.

izec

I thought Blade Runner was quite average, was bored to death. Otherwise, i like all of his movies. Not sure if i should watch this one or read the book

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Exactly. Lots of other films from that time also though. I think the hurry is something that really became more prominent in the 00s, but I might be wrong: it's just a feeling. Villeneuve is definitely of the (relatively) patient school, which is nice.
We called it MTV editing where I lived, thanks to the mid-late 90s editing style made famous on the channel. Films are much "faster" since those days.

Sweet Square

One of Villeneuve best skills is somehow getting a ton of money from studios to make films no one really watches or likes.

Long may it continue.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I thought Bladerunner 2049 looked absolutely gorgeous, but the story wasn't as interesting as the film suggested, and some bits were a little stretched compared to the level of interest of the scene/section. Still, that final confrontation in the shuttle in the water, and especially the part getting there - the cinematography and use of dark/light is bloody amazing. And there are lots of similarly incredible-looking scenes in there. Just for that I watched it again on Netflix (not that my small tv does it justice :) ).
We called it MTV editing where I lived, thanks to the mid-late 90s editing style made famous on the channel. Films are much "faster" since those days.
Christ, MTV concert filming is the worst. No shot lasts longer than 2 seconds (and that's generous), and you never see any of the musicianship, only faces. Urgh.

Ekeke

Thought this (Dune) was a pretty average story and characters. Some good special effects at times sure

Suv666

Going to watch it this weekend. Convinced my mates its going to be stellar would get a load of grief if its shit :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I hope so!

I still feel a bit cheated for sitting through 150 minutes of (beautiful) build-up, though.
I've yet to see Dune, but that's how I felt about part 2 of the Lord of the Rings. Three hours of filler, setting up situations for part 3.

OleBoiii

I've yet to see Dune, but that's how I felt about part 2 of the Lord of the Rings. Three hours of filler, setting up situations for part 3.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree. I'm blinded by nostalgia, though. And while The Two Towers is my least favorite out of the three films, I still think The Battle of Helm's Deep is the best large-scale battle in the LOTR films.