Film Dune

markhughes

I watched it in IMAX today and really enjoyed the movie, I didn’t know anything about Dune as I had never read the books and had zero background.

Visuals were stunning and the score was beautiful, I am looking forward to the second part. I didn’t find it too difficult to follow.

Suv666

Masterpiece. 10/10.
Did not expect it to be that good. Would be a crime against humanity if a 2nd part isnt released.
Not sure if Denis would be able to wrap it up in 2 parts not more that 30-40% of the book was in there if I'm not wrong.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Stellan Skarsgård's Brando esq-Colonel Kurtz performance is abit on the nose for my liking.

AaronRedDevil

Question about the Skarsgard guy
At first I thought he was a snake, then a spider. Then I saw his feet so he’s just a flying fatass. So how?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Critics and people who read the books probably like it way more then people who went in blind. I had no idea what was going for the most part. But I was immersed in it. I was expecting an epic movie but for the scale of it all, it seemed only an ok movie. I'm hoping the next one picks up a bit more. And stop with the whispering. The main problem with me is the lack of context. So much to explain about why and who is anything. I think I might buy the book and see what happens for the next one. I want to give it another chance.
Not seen the movie but the book is well worth a read

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Question about the Skarsgard guy
At first I thought he was a snake, then a spider. Then I saw his feet so he’s just a flying fatass. So how?
Been a while but I think it was a curse put on him by the Bene Gesserit mother. To make him fat and bloated so he wears some things that help him float so he doesn’t put weight on his bones.

AaronRedDevil

Been a while but I think it was a curse put on him by the Bene Gesserit mother. To make him fat and bloated so he wears some things that help him float so he doesn’t put weight on his bones.
Ah I see.

Neo_Mufc

Never heard of the movie or the book but just watched it and thought the film was absolutely amazing.

Mercurial

I enjoyed the book and like a lot of Villeneuve's work but found it very dull. It's one of the most beige films I've seen, in terms of cinematography and being weirdly emotionally flat. It's like Dune made by someone who's only thought about how they want each scene to look. There's no substance IMO.

The characters weren't fleshed out at all, so the actors felt completely secondary to the spectacle.

God knows where the draw would be to watch part 2 for people experiencing the story for the first time. I can't imagine too many people would give a sh1t about any of the characters. It's just empty.

Really disappointed.
Its missing the chronicles of the princess Irulan, its an impactful portion of the storytelling IMHO greatly missing. It would have added a lot to the narrative and story.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just watching it now and feck me it’s boring. Really hard to warm to any of the cast. Nice visuals though.

Simbo

Did not disapoint. I only know a rough outline of the story but its hard to envision how they could have portrayed this part any better. Know doubt bookies will have something to nitpik about, as with anything.

I can see how some will call this a masterpiece.

Siorac

As a big fan of the first book (the rest are a bit shit), I thought the film was brilliant. Really nailed the atmosphere, the visuals, the casting...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched it at the IMAX yesterday (fortunately during our game) and thought it was incredible. Film of the year for me easily. Was thoroughly engaged from start to finish; amazing visuals, great score and stacked full of characters I was completely invested in.

Haven't read the books but tempted to watch the David Lynch version now so I don't have to wait 3/4 years for a conclusion.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Seems like a marmite film reading through this thread.

:lol: thinking the new Star Wars films (or any of them really) are better than this. Jesus.

Also funny the comments asking why are they using swords rather than lasers (?) and the one saying how can the swords penetrate the shields (?)....I feel like the answer is there within your grasp if you want it.

OleGunnar20

Seems like a marmite film reading through this thread.

:lol: thinking the new Star Wars films (or any of them really) are better than this. Jesus.

Also funny the comments asking why are they using swords rather than lasers (?) and the one saying how can the swords penetrate the shields (?)....I feel like the answer is there within your grasp if you want it.
Definitely seems that way hey.

As someone else said I thought it was perfect, 10/10, although I'm a big fan of the books.

The sword thing was mentioned during the training scene with Paul but I can't blame people for missing it.

ChrisNelson

I really enjoyed it, was a nice antidote to the frankly dreadful Venom which I had seen the week before.

It's not normally my cup of tea, that type film but I just like being there on opening night whatever the film!

As with Bond I perhaps didn't feel the cutting room put in enough effort to get the length of the film reduced but I thought what they ended up with was a really solid film that didn't require any previous knowledge of the history of the series in written/ comic book form.

Good performances, the score just about held itself together although it threatened to go in to Tenet territory a couple of times.

Looking forward to the continuation, I just hope we don't have to wait as long as we are doing with Avatar!

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yeah the score was classic Zimmer but thankfully not full on Nolan Zimmer. I actually sat bang on in the centre of the cinema this time as well which I think helps. If you sit at the back it will always be too bassy. Hell of a difference.

SirAnderson

First time I ever heard of Dune and never heard of the books, went into it Blind and I LOVED IT. So much so that I can't wait for the next movie to come out, I'm going to just get the book(s) and read them. @Solius I saw you read it recently, I suppose with me watching this now, I should just start from the start right?

marktan

I've never seen a film at IMAX - is it that much better? My local cinema is a 5 min walk away, whereas the closest IMAX is 30 minutes on the train, so not sure where to see it..

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They didn't spell it out, but I thought it was pretty evident from the personal force fields changing colours. Though maybe that's only because I'm familiar with the concept from other films/TV shows.

I think the implication was that fast moving objects get blocked (turning the force fields red), while slow moving objects can pass through (turning the force field blue). So bullets and presumably energy weapons are useless.
Yeah, that makes sense, but they also had some kind of darts that would move slowly towards the body after hitting the shield. Anyway, it's only a minor point, but definitely something I wondered about during the movie.
@Dante is spot on - the shields block things moving at high velocity; hence why they are effective against bullets. The slow-moving darts and bombs are meant to counteract this, as they can just about get through the shields, and this is why everyone uses swords.

Energy weapons (e.g. lasers) are useless for a different reason - according to the lore of the show if one is used on a shield it can cause devastating explosions seemingly at random to either the shield wearer, the laser firer, or both.

Mike Smalling

Is part 2 not even confirmed as being made yet?!
I don't think so, but at least now the box office has more than exceeded the budget (by about $55m). Hopefully, that should be enough to ensure a part two.

Suv666

I've never seen a film at IMAX - is it that much better? My local cinema is a 5 min walk away, whereas the closest IMAX is 30 minutes on the train, so not sure where to see it..
Worth it imo

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is part 2 not even confirmed as being made yet?!
The latest is that it's looking positive as Warner(?) has lowered their threshold. But no green light yet.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I really enjoyed it. I read the books, may read them again. It has been 40 years since I read them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
First time I ever heard of Dune and never heard of the books, went into it Blind and I LOVED IT. So much so that I can't wait for the next movie to come out, I'm going to just get the book(s) and read them. @Solius I saw you read it recently, I suppose with me watching this now, I should just start from the start right?
Just the first one. I heard the rest are pretty bad especially once his son took over.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I am a big fan of the book but I am undecided on the film. The visuals were great but the tinkering with elements of the story grinds my gears. The fremen are largely a patriarchy and making their former leader a women seems nonsensical to me.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Just the first one. I heard the rest are pretty bad especially once his son took over.
Okay, I've gotten the book now and the theatrical audiobook, looking forward to picking up from where the movie ended.
As I recall the first sequel was ok albeit a big step down in quality and after that they are pretty much rubbish.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Loved the first book and thought this was pretty incredible.

Casting bang on, visually stunning, the style of the characters, houses and worlds was perfect for me.

The editing of what to include and what not to is always difficult with fantasy book adaptations but i thought it was basically spot on. I think if i hadn’t read the books i’d still easily understand all that was happening, even if lots of class stuff wasn’t found time for.

Agree with @CassiusClaymore Film of the Year for me.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Watched it last night, and while I can see the issues with it. I loved it. The universe created here is outstanding. I cant stop thinking about it and Im thirsty for more. I can help but think this would have been better as a tv series alone the lines of game of thrones. It really did feel like I was watching season 1 of thrones being crammed into one episode.
There's a lot that happens in GoT; comparatively little happens in Dune. To adapt it into a series would require making a lot of events up.

They're doing a series, but it's some kind of prequel.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Thought the film lacked charm. Didn't warm to anyone. Paul the main character was boring. Thankfully Rebecca Ferguson was casted and she carries this movie. It was a spectacle for sure, and some great set-pieces. But compare this to something like Fellowship of the ring, the latter sets-up the world much better in my opinion. Dune feeds you breadcrumbs which if you aren't on your toes can lead you lost. That might just be the dense subject matter from what I'm hearing though. A re-watch would make things clearer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
From the movie review thread.

Dune Looked lovely but some of the acting was quite clunky, Brolin in particular. I'm also not sure I understand the Universe this is set in very well or the role spice plays, which must be a bit of a failing. I wonder if people who have read the books enjoyed it more? In the end I was bored and I guess I will need to wait for the second film to see if I wasted my time. IMO Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were far better, which is OK as they were brilliant. TBA/10

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's best not to try and understand all the mechanics of the world of Dune that much, because it is 100% nonsense.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
From the movie review thread.

Dune Looked lovely but some of the acting was quite clunky, Brolin in particular. I'm also not sure I understand the Universe this is set in very well or the role spice plays, which must be a bit of a failing. I wonder if people who have read the books enjoyed it more? In the end I was bored and I guess I will need to wait for the second film to see if I wasted my time. IMO Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 were far better, which is OK as they were brilliant. TBA/10
As somebody that's not read any of the books I thought that was pretty straightforward. First and foremost it's vital for space travel which is why everyone is fighting over it. You also seem to be able to get off your tits when personally exposed to it and it looked like it was driving the premonitions that Timothy Chalomet kept having.

Anyway, I picked up the last hour or so of the 1984 version last night just to see how it concluded and wow that is just laughably bad (even for it's time surely). Will be interesting to see who they cast in Part 2 for the role that Sting had and I do hope they manange to make some cheesy and clunky stuff that happens not look so goofy. Might be difficult though. :lol:

Denis79

It was ok I guess, maybe I need to read the book to really enjoy this.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
It was ok I guess, maybe I need to read the book to really enjoy this.
Why do you think that?

I thought it was as straightforward as a film can get and watching it you can see all the stuff that Star Wars obviously pillaged from the original book e.g.

the voice/visions = the force
the Emperor = the Emperor
Arrakis = Tatooine

Denis79

Why do you think that?

I thought it was as straightforward as a film can get and watching it you can see all the stuff that Star Wars obviously pillaged from the original book e.g.

the voice/visions = the force
the Emperor = the Emperor
Arrakis = Tatooine
Now when you say it, haha yeah you can see where Star Wars got some stuff.

I just felt that it was a bit shallow. Why I was thinking reading the book would have given me some backstory to make it more enjoyable. It looked fantastic but that's where my praise stops.