Film Dune

padzilla

Hipster
Seems like a marmite film reading through this thread.

:lol: thinking the new Star Wars films (or any of them really) are better than this. Jesus.

Also funny the comments asking why are they using swords rather than lasers (?) and the one saying how can the swords penetrate the shields (?)....I feel like the answer is there within your grasp if you want it.
Anybody who enjoys the new Star Wars films shouldn't be allowed to vote.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s bloody brilliant. Feel it’s going tl be considered a masterpiece when finally viewed along side part 2.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Saw it on Monday and loved it. Going to end up being the best "epic" film series since Lord of the Rings if they maintain that standard maybe?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I gave it another watch, with the benefit of not focusing on trying to recall bits of lore from a book I read a decade ago. If I was giving 0-10 ratings I’d bump it up a point or two (from my initial viewing when I was lukewarm about it).

The casting was excellent for the most part, including lesser roles: I even found myself hoping for more screen time for the creepy assistant to the fat villain Skarsgard played (who was also great).

The mother was the worst of the lot, which was unfortunate given her screen time. She had the same annoyingly pensive expression for the duration bar a couple scenes. My criticisms with the music intruding into the action also still stand. It…insisted upon itself.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

This achieved something that doesn't happen too often. It feels like its own universe. And by that I mean that it doesn't feel like something else you've seen. Alien planet, desert, etc, you'd think that you'd have some feelings of borrowed familiarity, but there's something about the way this world was shot, crafted, presented; perhaps the scale. Credit to Villeneuve.

Rake

It wasn't flawless but still magnificent. Villeneuve is hands down my favourite director (at least from the current era).

kps88

What the difference in cost between filming part 1 and 2 at the same time or a year apart? Gotta be a feckload more, right?
Yeah probably. But I read an interview with Villeneuve where he said he felt the studio didn't want to film both together because they weren't sure how successful it would be at the box office.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Now when you say it, haha yeah you can see where Star Wars got some stuff.

I just felt that it was a bit shallow. Why I was thinking reading the book would have given me some backstory to make it more enjoyable. It looked fantastic but that's where my praise stops.
The first book is great, there is a seriously steep drop off as the books continue.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What the difference in cost between filming part 1 and 2 at the same time or a year apart? Gotta be a feckload more, right?
Yeah probably. But I read an interview with Villeneuve where he said he felt the studio didn't want to film both together because they weren't sure how successful it would be at the box office.
From what I've read, Villeneuve has tried to build sets wherever he could (instead of filming everything in front of screens), which is another argument for filming both at the same time.

But hey, it's the studios losing money. If they want to be stupid - so be it. At least it hasn't stopped them from approving the second film. ;)

Last edited:

kps88

From what I've read, Villeneuve has tried to build sets wherever he could (instead of filming everything in front of screens), which is another argument for filming both at the same time.

But hey, it's the studios losing money. If they want to be stupid - so be it. At least it hasn't stopped from from approving the second film. ;)
If the first one was a financial flop, I imagine the studio would have lost a lot more money. This movie was no sure bet after Blade Runner disappointed at the box office. I bet most of the sets are kept in storage anyway.

lilcurt

Really good. I was a massive fan of the miniseries in the early 00's but this took to production value to a new level whilst also portraying a couple of characters quite differently.

The production value was insane and I feel the cast all did fantastic jobs. Jessica was amazing, I read earlier in this thread that people didn't like her performance, I felt it reflected the source material well.

Can't wait for part two, if that is a success I wonder if they will continue on with The Children of Dune?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
This was an insane IMAX experience. Felt like at least 75% of the movie made full use of the entire screen. Villeneuve reaching Nolan levels of immersion. Thank feck they greenlit the sequel.

BlueHaze

It was an okay movie for me, nothing more. The actor who plays Paul is hella hot...

Amarsdd

Absolutely loved it! Blade Runner 2049 is still a better Denis Villeneuve but this one is a very good book adaptation. The atmosphere created was perfect for this story and I'm very interested in seeing how they'll adapt the book going forward.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Spectacular but soulless. Also a bit relentless, like the last star wars movie, which I didn't expect. 7/10.

Liked it but not as much as 2049 or Arrival.

Chairman Steve

I think Part 2 will have The Dark Knight effect and be the better movie, but also make it’s predecessor look better on further reevaluation. I don’t remember Batman Begins being as gushed over until The Dark Knight came out, and now loads of people have gone back to even say BB is better than TDK.

Feyd is the one I‘m looking forward to. To use that Batman comparison, hes got the potential to be the Joker of that Part 2 movie, if he’s casted correctly. Paul and Feyd can easily be compared to Batman and Joker. Part 1 has basically built the world of Dune and sets it up for Part 2 and the really good stuff

The David Lynch version doesn’t really touch on the Harkonnens too much from memory. Some of the deleted scenes with Feyd played by Sting are pretty good.

Looking forward to see who they cast as Feyd, Shaddam and Irulan. Villeneuve has got some serious clout to get that cast for Part 1 so the sky’s the limit really.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think Part 2 will have The Dark Knight effect and be the better movie, but also make it’s predecessor look better on further reevaluation. I don’t remember Batman Begins being as gushed over until The Dark Knight came out, and now loads of people have gone back to even say BB is better than TDK.

Feyd is the one I‘m looking forward to. To use that Batman comparison, hes got the potential to be the Joker of that Part 2 movie, if he’s casted correctly. Paul and Feyd can easily be compared to Batman and Joker. Part 1 has basically built the world of Dune and sets it up for Part 2 and the really good stuff

The David Lynch version doesn’t really touch on the Harkonnens too much from memory. Some of the deleted scenes with Feyd played by Sting are pretty good.

Looking forward to see who they cast as Feyd, Shaddam and Irulan. Villeneuve has got some serious clout to get that cast for Part 1 so the sky’s the limit really.
You touch on an important point, in that the sequel changes things for this one. It mitigates the criticisms of the ending to an extent now that the sequel is confirmed.

I happened upon casting rumors of some guy that looked a similar age to Chalamet, and it seemed people were excited about who it was…but I couldn’t tell you who it was. I am guessing it was for that Feyd guy.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Never will I click on that. Has there ever been a more pointless opinion. A man that’s never got his wife wet reviewing a movie set in a desert. Bet he still hated it, despite the familiarity. “They need moisture”. So does she Ben. So does she.

Dune was exceptional though. Top 9/10 movie. So upset when I found out it’s an open ended first part. I’d assumed part 2 was coming soon after.

kps88

Finally saw it. I feel like the the best way to do this would have been a TV show. There is so much good stuff they left out from the book despite it feeling a bit too long at 2.5 hours.