Film Dune

)_(

Just watched it today. Really enjoyed it, definitely some things I would've changed that were a bit unnecessary but overall it made me very curious for the next movie. Might also give the books a chance, I'm curious about some of the concepts in the movie and wondering if they go more deeply into some of the workings of the world. Thought Chalamet did a good job, would've liked to have learnt more about the duke, house atreides and the worldbuilding but obviously with the movie already being as long as it is that would've been hard and there were enough context clues for a lot of things.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It has been 30 years since I read the books, I gave up after the third book but the first was incredible. Hard to believe he wrote 15 books in the series. Friends that slogged through them said it got really bad. I am planning on buying the audiobook for the first book and listen to and from work.
Yeah, not all of them were wrote by him. I've seen the first 3 books are ok but go downhill after that, so plan on reading them and stopping there.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
What a film that was. Can't we have more films like this? Oozed atmosphere from the very start and the world building was just sublime. Really believable from the off. Might actually be my favourite Villeneuve film.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah, not all of them were wrote by him. I've seen the first 3 books are ok but go downhill after that, so plan on reading them and stopping there.
Yeah, his son took over and cashed in on his pops name. They really do become insipid.

Zen86

Finally got round to watching it. I enjoyed it and thought it was good overall. However I was a bit underwhelmed with the combat scenes, the film didn’t generate the same tension there that I got from the book. There was a lot more artistry and calculation to it in the book.

Also I know visions are an important theme in the story, but at times the middle of the film felt like it was just advertising the next instalment.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
What a film that was. Can't we have more films like this? Oozed atmosphere from the very start and the world building was just sublime. Really believable from the off. Might actually be my favourite Villeneuve film.
Only just got to see it today on iMax. Loved it, finally someone got close to what the book deserved. Cant wait for part 2

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Apart from Dune, which Villeneuve film is best?
Oof. His last 4 films have been excellent. Dune, Bladerunner 2049, Arrival, Sicario. Enemy before that I watched a long time ago, I don't really remember it much with the exception of the twist during the film, it was pretty messed up. I've not seen Prisoners yet. I've not seen any of his earlier work. I think I watched Maelstrom ages and ages ago but don't remember a thing about it except the film title.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Enemy is my favourite from his because I tend to favour more phycological claustrophobic character based films with a surreal edge. If you're a Hitchcock fan you'd enjoy this.
His first little lessor film, August 32nd on Earth is also good introduction to his work, as is Prisoners which surprised me I must admit.

Arrival and BR2049 are also decent films, though he over indulges on the visuals with the later and ,for the most part, I really feel the running time with his sequel to Scott's Sci-fi **** classic.
As Ridley himself put it, comically, " Its way too f*cking long" and he has a point.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've seen Bladerunner, Arrival, Sicario, and Incendies. There's quite a difference between them, but I think it's between Incendies (because of the emotional impact) and Bladerunner (because of the look) for me. Maybe rather Incendies.

Very happy that Prisoners arrived on my Netflix. And I hope I'll still get to see Dune in our second-run cinema when it reopens in a few weeks...

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

All of them had their unique characteristics, but I have to say Sicario because of the sheer depiction of how gritty the War on Drugs is. Just like Emily Blunt's character, we wish the best intentions in the world with that kind of naive idealism until we are struck extremely hard by reality as to how far has to become in order to survive in that war. The POV from the Mexican policeman having to work as a drug mule in order to support his own family is also touching in showing us how sad the state of affairs is.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Just watched this now as it's been released on sky, and difficult to critique..

Mostly because I thought Chalamet is one of the weakest actors I have seen as a lead in a while. I have read about him being the next big thing, but feck me if that's what we are in line for it is desperate times. He really did ruin it for me (then again, McLachlan was fantastic as well as went on to be a consistently brilliant actor in my eyes).

Back to the film, visually, it was the desert version of Avatar, beautiful to watch, and a good cast outside the mentioned. Will be interesting to see where it heads

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'd have Incindies as his best film, followed by Sicario. Both great.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Just watched this now as it's been released on sky, and difficult to critique..

Mostly because I thought Chalamet is one of the weakest actors I have seen as a lead in a while. I have read about him being the next big thing, but feck me if that's what we are in line for it is desperate times. He really did ruin it for me (then again, McLachlan was fantastic as well as went on to be a consistently brilliant actor in my eyes).

Back to the film, visually, it was the desert version of Avatar, beautiful to watch, and a good cast outside the mentioned. Will be interesting to see where it heads
Playing a role that the character is trying to be portrayed as sullen and melancholy, is a really tough ask. I agree he failed at bringing much life to the character, but it didn't bother me as much as others. I lived through the hype of the last Dune, only to have my hopes crushed.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I was reluctant to watch the film of a favourite book, as it usually disappoints, but I did enjoy it, and the time flew by. The fighting was a bit childish and tedious, but was in the books so I shouldn't complain. No problem with the acting.

Wing Attack Plan R

All of them had their unique characteristics, but I have to say Sicario because of the sheer depiction of how gritty the War on Drugs is. Just like Emily Blunt's character, we wish the best intentions in the world with that kind of naive idealism until we are struck extremely hard by reality as to how far has to become in order to survive in that war. The POV from the Mexican policeman having to work as a drug mule in order to support his own family is also touching in showing us how sad the state of affairs is.
I agree, Sicario was excellent. It moves so quickly, the acting is top notch, Blunt is sensational, and the story is engaging and exciting. The sequel, Day of the Soldado, was made by a different director and the trailer looks like that second director didn't understand what the assignment was. Went back and watched Sicario again instead of watching the sequel.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Can't wait! :) Reading the book again as well - much more interesting than I remembered!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I hate trailers so much. Show the whole plot why don’t you.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
First one was incredible... My favourite film of 2021.

Will not watch the trailer, don't need anything spoiled for me and already hyped up enough.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I've watched the first one again recently and, if the other two are of the same calibre, this will be an epic sci-fi trilogy of the highest order. Can't wait!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Only thing i didn't like about the first is when the two armies were running towards each other, and then instead of showing the battle it just used an explosion effect to screenwipe to the next scene like some cheesy homemade YouTube video. Felt stupidly out of place with how the rest of the film seemed to be put together.

But yeah looking forward to this. Quite liked the relatively slow pace of the first so hoping it carries on I similar vein. No stupid exposition scenes treating you and every character like an idiot either, which seems to be a rarity in films these days. Well there were but they were logical and tied into what was going on rather than being shoe horned in (e.g. People on a spaceship using a bit if paper to explain to the audience amd themselves how a black hole works)

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Still haven’t watched the first one all the way through and tbh I’m not really sure why. I guess for me it lacks a real punch with the “colour” palette as the biggest example. Part 2 doesn’t seem to be much different. Which is a shame as I loved Blade Runner 2049.

Also of course I’m the type of arsehole that thinks the Lynch version is a brilliant mess.