Film Dune

Herman Toothrot

No. 2 was greenlit when the opening numbers on the first did so well iirc. Unless I'm confusing that with Hot D.
That's correct.

It's a good trailer, enjoyed the first one, it's actually not dissimilar to the David Lynch version. However, Toto's soundtrack is far better (really!) than Hans Zimmer's which really is a bit much, even for him.

RedDevilQuebecois

From the looks of it, the Emperor (Christopher Walken) might well be more important and more imposing than it was in any previous adaptation of the book.

Cannot wait to see the war going for real.

Suv666

Denis V is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors

mitChley

Really looking forward to this. So fecking sick of trailers that are basically a synopsis of the whole movie though. Such a dumb thing to do.
I stopped watching them a few years back, glad I did, seeing Nobody when I had no idea what it was about was fantastic.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its not only the trailers , we're also going to see a handful of clips from the film pop-up on our youtube pages when the film is closer to release or has been released into the wild for a certain period.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Really looking forward to this. So fecking sick of trailers that are basically a synopsis of the whole movie though. Such a dumb thing to do.
Yeah, I did think this one in particular covered a LOT of the remaining story!

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Trailers are often a bit shit. You’ll have a bunch of films that are very different, stylistically and thematically, but so many trailers are very samey and by the numbers crap that feel the need to share so much.

Infra-red

Yeah I pretty much never watch trailers.
I generally try to abide by the rule of only watching trailers/reading reviews if I am weighing up whether or not to watch something. If I already know to a certainty that I will be watching it (because I love the director, the writer, the cast etc), then I don't bother watching/reading anything in advance, as it is only likely to spoil (rather than enhance) the experience.

Obviously, it is a little bit more difficult to go in fresh if you've read the book(s), as is the probably the case for many/most people re Dune, though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Denis V is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors
My favourite director working today. He’s a sci-fi god. Apparently he is doing Rendezvous with Rama as one of his next projects. An adaptation of the Arthur C. Clarke classic.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Nov 3rd? So long? WTF.

Didn't they make both Part 1 and 2 together?
He was asked to do the movie as a single part, he said he couldn’t, it needed to be two parts to tell the story properly. WB said they’d only commit to funding the first part and the second would depend on the box office success of the first. He took the risk that he’d never be able to make the second part and stayed true to his vision. Tbh he looked doomed when WB decided to release all their feature films for free on HBO Max in 2021, so it debuted on streaming at the same time it debuted in theatres. But audiences still flocked to cinemas and it pulled in a really good worlddwide haul despite its availability for free. And so they greenlit the second.

Mike Smalling

My favourite director working today. He’s a sci-fi god. Apparently he is doing Rendezvous with Rama as one of his next projects. An adaptation of the Arthur C. Clarke classic.
Same for me. Not even just his sci-fi. Sicario and Prisoners are both exceptional films.

Suv666

I need to reread that. Been a long time. He loves a first contact story doesn't he.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Same for me. Not even just his sci-fi. Sicario and Prisoners are both exceptional films.
I actually like Incendies best among his films. It has the same general style but more emotion (in my opinion), which I think is generally Villeneuve's weak point (due to his rather clinical style).
I think Rama is actually a perfect fit for Villeneuve; the story really matches his style as a filmmaker (better than Dune for instance; although the novel is of course rather slow and introspective), so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Mike Smalling

I actually like Incendies best among his films. It has the same general style but more emotion (in my opinion), which I think is generally Villeneuve's weak point (due to his rather clinical style).
Haven’t gotten around to watching that. I’d say there is plenty of emotional depth in Prisoners, Arrival and Blade Runner: 2049. Maybe less so in Sicario and Dune.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Haven’t gotten around to watching that. I’d say there is plenty of emotional depth in Prisoners, Arrival and Blade Runner: 2049. Maybe less so in Sicario and Dune.
Obviously it's a matter of perception, but in all those films I feel the clinical style gets in the way of my emotional involvement with the film. In Bladerunner, I really only got that all the way at the end, when K is dieing on the steps - and I think that was mostly because of the use of Vangelis's music there (instead of the full sonic assault blasting through most of the rest).

But as I said, all subjective. And yes, I do actually really like Bladerunner 2043, just not for that reason.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's not often I say this but I reckon Book 2 and 3 would be much better as TV shows as there's far more talking than action in both (I gather there have been attempts to do that in the past).

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Looks like I'm gonna have to pirate this now to make sure WB don't get my money

Eric_the_Red99

Interesting time to release a movie about a fanatical desert-dwelling people waging a holy war against a brutal colonial power…. :nervous: