Ebola

Rudie

Mentary
So now that the Eboue virus is spreading, is the end nigh? The government seem to think that the Eboue virus is a threat to us all, are we all doomed?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558783

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28542577

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-26835233

The Eboue outbreak in West Africa is the world's deadliest to date. More than 670 people have died as health officials in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone struggle to control the virus.

What is Eboue?
Eboue is a viral illness of which the initial symptoms can include a sudden fever, intense weakness, muscle pain and a sore throat, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). And that is just the beginning: subsequent stages are vomiting, diarrhoea and - in some cases - both internal and external bleeding.

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Eboue explained in 60 seconds
The disease infects humans through close contact with infected animals, including chimpanzees, fruit bats and forest antelope.

It then spreads between humans by direct contact with infected blood, bodily fluids or organs, or indirectly through contact with contaminated environments. Even funerals of Eboue victims can be a risk, if mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased.

Molecular model of parts of the Eboue virus
This molecular model shows the parts of the Eboue virus scientists are studying in the hopes of finding drugs that will slow the spread of the disease
The incubation period can last from two days to three weeks, and diagnosis is difficult. The human disease has so far been mostly limited to Africa, although one strain has cropped up in the Philippines.

Healthcare workers are at risk if they treat patients without taking the right precautions to avoid infection.

People are infectious as long as their blood and secretions contain the virus - in some cases, up to seven weeks after they recover.

World Health Organization guidance on Eboue

In pictures: Battling Eboue in West Africa

line
Where does it strike?
Eboue outbreaks occur primarily in remote villages in Central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests, says the WHO.

Woman dries bushmeat by the side of the road, Ivory Coast (29 March)
Bushmeat - from animals such as bats, antelopes, porcupines and monkeys - is a prized delicacy in much of West Africa but can also be a source of Eboue
It was first discovered in the Democratic Republic of Congo in 1976 since when it has affected countries further east, including Uganda and Sudan. This outbreak is unusual because it started in Guinea, which has never before been affected, and is spreading to urban areas.

Graphic showing Eboue virus outbreaks since 1976
A map showing Eboue outbreaks since 1976
From Nzerekore, a remote area of south-eastern Guinea, the virus has spread to the capital, Conakry, and neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone.

A Liberian man who flew to Lagos in July was quarantined on his arrival and later died of Eboue - the first case in Nigeria.

The medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) says the outbreak is "unprecedented" in the way the cases were scattered in multiple locations across Guinea, hundreds of kilometres apart, and says it is a "race against time" to check people who come into contact with sick people.

line
WHO: West Africa Eboue outbreak figures as of 27 July
Map
Guinea - 319 deaths, 427 cases
Liberia - 129 deaths, 249 cases
Sierra Leone - 224 deaths, 525 cases
The virus detective who discovered Eboue

line
What precautions should I take?
Avoid contact with Eboue patients and their bodily fluids, the WHO advises. Do not touch anything - such as shared towels - which could have become contaminated in a public place.

A Liberian man washes his hands as an extra precaution for the prevention of the spread of the Eboue virus before entering a church service in Monrovia, Liberia -27 July 2014
Washing hands and improving hygiene is one of the best ways to fight the virus
Carers should wear gloves and protective equipment, such as masks, and wash their hands regularly.

The WHO also warns against consuming raw bushmeat and any contact with infected bats or monkeys and apes. Fruit bats in particular are considered a delicacy in the area of Guinea where the outbreak started.

In March, Liberia's health minister advised people to stop having sex, in addition to existing advice not to shake hands or kiss. A BBC reporter in the Liberian capital Monrovia says that public awareness campaigns around Eboue have been stepped up following the death in July of renowned Liberian doctor Samuel Brisbane.

Liberia has now closed most of its border crossings and communities hit by an Eboue outbreak face quarantine to try to halt the spread of the virus.

Nigeria's main airliner Arik Air has suspended flights to Liberia and Sierra Leone and more stringent screening is being put in place at some airports. When the outbreak first began, Senegal closed its border with Guinea.

Fighting the fear and stigmatisation surrounding Eboue is one of the greatest challenges health workers face.

Bat-eating ban to curb Eboue virus

No handshakes, no sex

line
What can be done if I catch it?
You must keep yourself isolated and seek professional help. Patients have a better chance of survival if they receive early treatment.

Emergency entrance to a hospital in Conakry treating Eboue patients (March 2014)
There are no vaccines, though some are being tested, along with new drug therapies.

Patients frequently become dehydrated. They should drink solutions containing electrolytes or receive intravenous fluids.

MSF says this outbreak comes from the deadliest and most aggressive strain of the virus, which kills more than 90% of patients.

Other strains are less virulent and have a survival rate of up to 75%.

However, it is not known which factors allow some people to recover while most succumb.

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
Ebola
Ebola in town
Don’t touch your friend!
No touching
No eating something
It’s dangerous!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It's weird. Seem to remember this flaring up years ago and everyone thought we were all doomed only for it to fizzle out and never be mentioned in the news. Wonder why it is making a comeback?

Member 39557

It's weird. Seem to remember this flaring up years ago and everyone thought we were all doomed only for it to fizzle out and never be mentioned in the news. Wonder why it is making a comeback?
Somebody in Africa fiddled with a Monkey again.

I just hope it doesn't mutate. If it finds an easier way to be transmitted from person to person then we will be fooked.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Somebody in Africa fiddled with a Monkey again.

I just hope it doesn't mutate. If it finds an easier way to be transmitted from person to person then we will be fooked.
That's the key really. In it's present state it's deadly (obviously) but not a lot less difficult to catch than HIV.

Nanook

The thing that makes me less worried is that 1st world countries and the big pharmaceutical companies are probably holding back on spending major money in research for this disease, at the end of the day it kills very few people and the people it does kill are among the poorest in the world and would never be able to afford the drugs anyway.

I believe the US government (and most probably other governments) do secret research on potential bioterrorism agents like Ebola, I wouldn't be surprised if we knew a whole lot more about Ebola that what it seems like.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
The Ebola virus really scares me, there will be a disease one day that will kill millions of people again. I think it will be this.

I heard that 8 out of 10 people infected by this don't survive. Someone hold me. :(

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The thing that makes me less worried is that 1st world countries and the big pharmaceutical companies are probably holding back on spending major money in research for this disease, at the end of the day it kills very few people and the people it does kill are among the poorest in the world and would never be able to afford the drugs anyway.

I believe the US government (and most probably other governments) do secret research on potential bioterrorism agents like Ebola, I wouldn't be surprised if we knew a whole lot more about Ebola that what it seems like.
There's research but none if it is tested on humans, at least not to the point that it's been medically endorsed. The speed of the virus once it starts limits how quickly it can spread since it requires direct contact with fluids, from what scientists can tell. However, it takes an average of 2 weeks to manifest, making it difficult to pin down outside of the rural third world, especially if no one expects ebola. It appears that in this case the virus got into urban areas making it hard to quarantine all of those who may be infected. If it got to somewhere like India (Nigeria is a bigger danger), where sanitation is generally appalling and population is dense, it could be a huge problem. For developed countries, sanitation and cleanliness at medical facilities would probably go a long way to limit the spread.

As you said, there's little incentive for pharmaceutical companies to research and develop ebola treatments because it is limited to sub-Saharan Africa.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Ebola virus really scares me, there will be a disease one day that will kill millions of people again. I think it will be this.

I heard that 8 out of 10 people infected by this don't survive. Someone hold me. :(
It depends on the strain and outbreak. The current outbreak has a mortality rate of about 55%.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
50-90% mortality rates but it kills too fast to spread really well. Now an Ebola like virus with a huge incubation period would be scary.

Sb_16

This is a serious matter but I can't read the op with a straight face. Eboue for Ebola is not funny...it is actually but this half hearted complaint still stands.

What scares me is that the symptoms of most of these new diseases are similar to lets say a common cold or viral fever. Around here any such conditions are primarily treated with home remedies.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
50-90% mortality rates but it kills too fast to spread really well. Now an Ebola like virus with a huge incubation period would be scary.
Plus the hygiene standards, attitude towards illness/viruses, screening and quarantine measures are a world apart over here, making the risk of an Ebola spread akin to the one in West Africa very small and unlikely. Unless of course it were to develop a longer incubation period or a more effective means of spreading, but in it's nearly 40 years of existence in more favorable conditions than over here, that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
I saw a documentary film about an outbreak of Ebola in the 90s. It was a monkey who caused the outbreak and then had sex with someone who then spread the outbreak and the outbreak spread rapidly but then the authorities were able to contain the outbreak before the outbreak got too bad.

I think it was called : The Monkey Who Couldn't Slow Down.
A Dustin Hoffman lookalike was in it

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
The issue with any disease causing a major worldwide epidemic is that is has a trade-off to make - it has to keep it's victim alive long enough for it to duplicate, but be quick enough that it doesn't give the body's immune system much time to build up a resistance to it/keep fighting it. When you add into that the fact that we're looking for cures and have exceptionally good healthcare hygiene in the 1st world then we're not in much danger.

We won't be having a 'super disease' as any disease that can spread faster than a cure/vaccine can be developed won't spread far at all as it would kill it's host and so self-limit it's spread.

Not much to worry about for the UK, although I do hope they resist it's spread much further. It's not a pleasant illness to have!

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Plus the hygiene standards, attitude towards illness/viruses, screening and quarantine measures are a world apart over here, making the risk of an Ebola spread akin to the one in West Africa very small and unlikely. Unless of course it were to develop a longer incubation period or a more effective means of spreading, but in it's nearly 40 years of existence in more favorable conditions than over here, that hasn't happened yet.
We're really that good over here Hectic?

All I seem to hear is how people go in for an ingrowing toenail and come out less an arm and a leg due to scepticemia brought on by some flesh eating, antibiotic resistant super bug from the agency cleaner's mop left leaning against the bed in the hospital corridor. I'd have thought anything more dangerous than the common cold entering the NHS would be likely to transform into Godzilla.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Except the small rural villages it has mostly been found in don't give anything like the opportunity that densely-packed cities give to infect dozens or hundreds before it slows you down. Each infected person then infecting another few dozen. Quarantine and treatment is all very well when only a handful of people have it, but the huge health and care services developed nations would try and provide to thousands might well spread it more than traditional behaviour. We're doomed. Doomed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hygiene is still shit here Hectic. How many times have you seen guys leave public bathrooms without washing their hands?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It's just not comparable. The problem in West Africa is too many people do not understand Ebola, how it is spread, and fear aid workers trying to help those with Ebola, or others on how to avoid it. Families have broken infected people out of hospitals, some do not take them to hospitals in the first place believing it's a death sentence. People are still performing burial ceremonies with direct contact with the infected corpses, the same aversion to a person displaying symptoms of Ebola or even just with visible blood, isn't the same as it would be here. Right now the biggest problem with Ebola is the level of fear and ignorance towards it, also part of the same reason it wouldn't lead to a sustained outbreak in western countries.

Last edited:

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Except the small rural villages it has mostly been found in don't give anything like the opportunity that densely-packed cities give to infect dozens or hundreds before it slows you down. Each infected person then infecting another few dozen. Quarantine and treatment is all very well when only a handful of people have it, but the huge health and care services developed nations would try and provide to thousands might well spread it more than traditional behaviour. We're doomed. Doomed.
A man with Ebola traveled to Lagos - a city with a population of around 21 million - the largest city in Africa and pretty much the best example you could offer for your scenario above. He died in the Lagos airport, so was certainly symptomatic. The total cases they have had since as a result is 2, because they were much better prepared then a lot of the smaller villages where it has developed from.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
A man with Ebola traveled to Lagos - a city with a population of around 21 million - the largest city in Africa and pretty much the best example you could offer for your scenario above. He died in the Lagos airport, so was certainly symptomatic. The total cases they have had since as a result is 2, because they were much better prepared then a lot of the smaller villages where it has developed from.
Good answer. And hopefully it means we're fairly safe in our Western cocoon.

KingCantona87

Reminds me of the Pandemic Flash-Based game... Wonder if it would infect Madagascar? ;)

Joking aside it's absolutely terrible what is happening. I hope Africa will be given the help it needs to fight it.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It's just not comparable. The problem in West Africa is too many people do not understand Ebola, how it is spread, and fear aid workers trying to help those with Ebola, or others on how to avoid it. Families have broken infected people out of hospitals, some do not take them to hospitals in the first place believing it's a death sentence. People are still performing burial ceremonies with direct contact with the infected corpses, the same aversion to a person displaying symptoms of Ebola or even just with visible blood, isn't the same as it would be here. Right now the biggest problem with Ebola is the level of fear and ignorance towards it, also part of the same reason it wouldn't lead to a sustained outbreak in western countries.
Absolutely. The Africans associate Westerners as sort of harbingers of the disease and actively avoid or run away from them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/w...demic-west-africa-guinea.html?ref=africa&_r=1

The deadly Ebola virus is believed to have infected several people in the village, and the youths were blocking the path to prevent health workers from entering.

“We don’t want any visitors,” said their leader, Faya Iroundouno, 17, president of Kolo Bengou’s youth league. “We don’t want any contact with anyone.” The others nodded in agreement and fiddled with their slingshots.

Singling out the international aid group Doctors Without Borders, Mr. Iroundouno continued, “Wherever those people have passed, the communities have been hit by illness.”

Villagers flee at the sight of a Red Cross truck. When a Westerner passes, villagers cry out, “Ebola, Ebola!” and run away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
To be fair Hectic is talking a of lot sense in this thread, Ebola while being absolutely lethal isn't a worry along the lines of a flu pandemic or even as large a worry as the impending antibiotic catastrophe awaiting the world.

This however is of no importance to the victims of Ebola in Africa and anyway, you often hear of a few cases of it each year. So for those of you fearing the impending apocalypse start looking into bacterial resistance to antibiotics.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

Nanook

You could always use your elbows and body weight to open a bathroom door, avoid potential hand contamination completely, you'll get laughed at but when you're not dying of Ebola it'll be worth it.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
To be fair Hectic is talking a of lot sense in this thread, Ebola while being absolutely lethal isn't a worry along the lines of a flu pandemic or even as large a worry as the impending antibiotic catastrophe awaiting the world.
Until it mutates to an airborne strain *den den dennnn*