Ebola

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Swine flu, bird flu, foot and mouth, mad cow disease have all carried much more "threats" to people then this and look how they turned out...

*I am completely ignorant on this subject. But what I said still applies*

I remember not being able to walk into shops because of foot and mouth and I remember concerts and matches being cancelled due it over here

Red-Jeff

To be fair Hectic is talking a of lot sense in this thread, Ebola while being absolutely lethal isn't a worry along the lines of a flu pandemic or even as large a worry as the impending antibiotic catastrophe awaiting the world.

This however is of no importance to the victims of Ebola in Africa and anyway, you often hear of a few cases of it each year. So for those of you fearing the impending apocalypse start looking into bacterial resistance to antibiotics.
That's mean :lol: you're going to have a bunch of paranoid caf posters refusing to take antibiotics that they need for fear of breeding super bacteria.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'm still recovering from a simple but spreading skin infection that took six antibiotics before one worked. And although it did the job I got a dangerous side-effect and won't be allowed to take it again. Clindamycin was the one.

the hea

So two American doctors contract Ebola and then the US send over a secret serum is brought to him and both of them recover. No real surprise that we hear about this drug when a US doctor contracts the disease.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
According to company documents, four monkeys infected with Ebola survived after being given the therapy within 24 hours after infection. Two of four other monkeys that started therapy within 48 hours after infection also survived. One monkey that was not treated died within five days of exposure to the virus.

Brantly and Writebol were aware of the risk of taking a new, little-understood treatment and gave informed consent, according to two sources familiar with the care of the missionary workers. In the monkeys, the experimental serum had been given within 48 hours of infection. Brantly didn't receive it until he'd been sick for nine days.
So you think having tested a drug four times on monkeys should be enough for pharmaceutical companies to begin testing drugs on humans. There is a good reason why they need to do excessive tests before testing the drugs on humans. Taking this serum will have been a very high risk and they might yet experience dangerous side-effects from it.

saivet

So you think having tested a drug four times on monkeys should be enough for pharmaceutical companies to begin testing drugs on humans. There is a good reason why they need to do excessive tests before testing the drugs on humans. Taking this serum will have been a very high risk and they might yet experience dangerous side-effects from it.
With the high death rate, I'm sure many would have been willing to give it a chance, even with the potential side effects. I know there's a reason for the testing but some will feel that it's unfair that these doctors are given this 'secret serum' while many others are simply expected to die sooner or later.

the hea

With the high death rate, I'm sure many would have been willing to give it a chance, even with the potential side effects. I know there's a reason for the testing but some will feel that it's unfair that these doctors are given this 'secret serum' while many others are simply expected to die sooner or later.
On this I can agree that untested drugs like this one should not be given to any humans. The big problem would be if pharmaceutical companies could start distributing untested drugs in poor regions like West Africa it would turn these regions into cheap testing zones for potentially very dangerous drugs who yet have not been tested enough.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
So two American doctors contract Ebola and then the US send over a secret serum is brought to him and both of them recover. No real surprise that we hear about this drug when a US doctor contracts the disease.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

When did the tests on the 4 monkeys take place? Do you know? What if it was just a short time ago? How much of the serum is on hand? thousands of doses? just a few? millions? How lpng a decision making process is it for the CDC to give compassionate exemptions for these types of cases? How long should it be? Should they just automatically say yes everytime someone asks or should they take the time to look at the data to make sure it is the right decision? How long does it take to come to an informed decision in a cases like these?

Did you read the article which includes comments about why this type of thing is very unusual and the ethical concerns about using these types of untested drugs?

saivet

When did the tests on the 4 monkeys take place? Do you know? What if it was just a short time ago? How much of the serum is on hand? thousands of doses? just a few? millions? How lpng a decision making process is it for the CDC to give compassionate exemptions for these types of cases? How long should it be? Should they just automatically say yes everytime someone asks or should they take the time to look at the data to make sure it is the right decision? How long does it take to come to an informed decision in a cases like these?

Did you read the article which includes comments about why this type of thing is very unusual and the ethical concerns about using these types of untested drugs?
I get that, but were there no doctors or medical experts already in Africa that had previously contracted the disease? I just doubt that these two American doctors were the first to contract the disease that would have understood these procedures. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.

Woodzy

Zombies? :(

mikey_d

Monoclonal antibodies for the win!

Seriously though monoclonal antibodies are potentially going to be key to medicine in the future. Once their price comes down!

The potential side effects for untested monoclonals can be bad, so they aren't going to want to start dishing them out to large amounts of people at this early stage even if they seem to be working for these US doctors.

JustAFan

I get that, but were there no doctors or medical experts already in Africa that had previously contracted the disease? I just doubt that these two American doctors were the first to contract the disease that would have understood these procedures. Maybe, I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure.

Your question and comments show you do not get it. The fact is you do not have enough information and neither do I, to jump to any conclusions about how and why this serum was used.

An American company and the American government used a small amount of untested serum on willing American subjects who had contracted a deadly disease. How evil of them.

Honestly what is your issue here? Oh yeah it is the term "American" that is used to describe the doctors. They should be dead right.

Only in the Current Events section can news about a potential cure for a deadly disease be turned into a anti-US rant.

saivet

Your question and comments show you do not get it. The fact is you do not have enough information and neither do I, to jump to any conclusions about how and why this serum was used.

An American company and the American government used a small amount of untested serum on willing American subjects who had contracted a deadly disease. How evil of them.

Honestly what is your issue here? Oh yeah it is the term "American" that is used to describe the doctors. They should be dead right.

Only in the Current Events section can news about a potential cure for a deadly disease be turned into a anti-US rant.
I'm just wondering that's all, trying to look for questions/answers. I'm no expert, never have been never claimed to be.

No rant going on here lol

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

They could give informed consent, something that the population who has contracted it cannot do. Because they are American citizens, the US government will obviously take extraordinary steps to try to assist them. It also provides the CDC and others with valuable experience and data when treating them once they get to Atlanta. Performing medical experiments on an uninformed population would be an egregious breach of the Hippocratic Oath as well as many laws. There was an uproar about the US doing this in Guatemala in the 40s trying to test penicillin's effectiveness.

JustAFan

I'm just wondering that's all, trying to look for questions/answers.

No rant going on here lol
Here is your original post

No questions asked. Just an accusation, thinly veiled.

saivet

They could give informed consent, something that the population who has contracted it cannot do. Because they are American citizens, the US government will obviously take extraordinary steps to try to assist them. It also provides the CDC and others with valuable experience and data when treating them once they get to Atlanta. Performing medical experiments on an uninformed population would be an egregious breach of the Hippocratic Oath as well as many laws. There was an uproar about the US doing this in Guatemala in the 40s trying to test penicillin's effectiveness.
Okay, thanks. Not heard about that, will have to look to read about it.

JustAFan

Googling some more information on this. No foreign or world body was involved in giving consent to use these drugs, only it seems the US agency, the CDC. So obviously, the authorization would only apply to US citizens.

Unproven, barely tested serums like this are not made in large quantities for obvious reasons (why spend time and money making large amounts of something that might not work?).

We also at this time have no idea how long it took to get authorization, what goes into this kind of decision to by-pass the normal testing protocols, etc.

I don't think these are even the first Americans to contract Ebola while in Africa, though I could be wrong.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/17/ebola-liberia-clinic-raided

So, some people stormed and looted a quarantine center in Liberia saying that there's no Ebola in the country and that the president just wants money. I hope the idiots who did this get Ebola, but many other innocent people will likely die from it because of this. These people are like the idiots who blame HIV/AIDs on white people and try to scare people from treatment for the disease.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Monoclonal antibodies for the win!

Seriously though monoclonal antibodies are potentially going to be key to medicine in the future. Once their price comes down!

The potential side effects for untested monoclonals can be bad, so they aren't going to want to start dishing them out to large amounts of people at this early stage even if they seem to be working for these US doctors.
I haven't thought this through too much but I'm guessing protein based therapies for cancer etc will be a milk cow for pharmaceutical companies for a while... They basically block cheap generics for an extended period of time.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
So someone who was coming from a known infected part of Africa wasn't stopped or anything on his way into Ireland for some sort of checkup?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That's mean :lol: you're going to have a bunch of paranoid caf posters refusing to take antibiotics that they need for fear of breeding super bacteria.
Super bugs are way scarier than Ebola. Crazy westerners taking all those antibiotics for the common cold...

JustAFan

Obama sending in the troops! Well he is sending in troops and equipment and doctors, etc to help try to treat the infected and slow the spread. Est cost 1.2billion.

EDIT: The cost figure has been removed from the one article I got it from. Other articles I read suggesting initial cost in the 250mil range.

Also Australian now pledging 6.4mil to help. Should be lots of other nations kicking in more soon, in addition to the help they are already providing.

Last edited:

Rudie

Mentary
Picking between Cameron and Salmond is like picking between Aids (Cameron) and Ebola (Salmond), which would you pick? At least with aids you can seemingly live a normal('ish) life these days.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond
My dad is stuck in Lagos at the moment. His flight was cancelled due to something to do with Ebola.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Swine flu, bird flu, foot and mouth, mad cow disease have all carried much more "threats" to people then this and look how they turned out...

*I am completely ignorant on this subject. But what I said still applies*

I remember not being able to walk into shops because of foot and mouth and I remember concerts and matches being cancelled due it over here
This admission saved you a lecture.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Patient arrived in the US on the 20th, started experiencing symptoms on the 24th and only sought treatment on the 26th. That's 6 days of potentially infectious contact with any number of people, especially his family members and the passengers on the plane that he flew on. Although to be fair the virus is not very contagious and the US has far better infrastructure and personnel to contain it compared to Africa. You do have to wonder whether he knew that he had been exposed to the virus when he was in Liberia and still knowingly boarded a plane to the US.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Patient arrived in the US on the 20th, started experiencing symptoms on the 24th and only sought treatment on the 26th. That's 6 days of potentially infectious contact with any number of people, especially his family members and the passengers on the plane that he flew on. Although to be fair the virus is not very contagious and the US has far better infrastructure and personnel to contain it compared to Africa. You do have to wonder whether he knew that he had been exposed to the virus when he was in Liberia and still knowingly boarded a plane to the US.
He was asymptomatic so the passengers should be fine. The potentially problematic window are those 2 days before he sought treatment. Still chances of bodily-fluid exchange are low.

They are also treating another patient near me.

JustAFan

It seems the US victim in Dallas had visited the hospital before and had not been asked about his travel history nor did he offer it up, he was sent home for two days before he returned on the 28th of Sept.

So much for the US Health Care System knowing how to take precautions to make sure Ebola doesn't spread here.

ATXRedDevil

Not sure there would be any need for that. The US brought back their docs/nurses that were exposed while over there. I doubt they would distinguish the two scenarios based on the person's reason for being there. You bring home your own and treat them and let them be close to their families in case the worst happens.

Still, a tad worrying though. I'll be up in Dallas next weekend.