Ebola

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Swine flu, bird flu, foot and mouth, mad cow disease have all carried much more "threats" to people then this and look how they turned out...
Who knows if a few of those didn't turn out worse precisely because of all the precautions?

The worldwide effort by health authorities against the H1N1 2009 flu pandemic (swine flu) was terrific and saved tens of thousands, if not hundreds or millions, of lives. People washing hands everywhere, and generally more cautious with contact during the worst weeks is certain to have had an impact, given the exponential nature of these infections.

In Portugal alone that flu killed 150 people, of which quite a few were healthy young adults without any risk factors for complications - to me, this is a tragedy, as small as it may look to the lay. Something like 1918 pandemic may very well happen any time, it's a death lottery each year with the random assortments through which the flu virus genomes go. And this was the second pandemic by an H1N1 since... well 1918, so obviously the concern was very reasonable. Health authorities can only try to prevent it by acting preemptively against the most threatening strains, because there won't be much they will be able to do after we realize we are facing a similarly deadly pandemic again. As much as medicine has evolved since then, the number of ICU beds and ventilator support available is small, even in the richest of countries, for something of that magnitude.

Bird flu? It killed 50% of the infected, these are insane mortality rates. It just couldn't be transmitted from person to person, which limited it's scope. Thing is, a flu virus can gain that ability overnight, again due to the lottery-like assortments they make. Now imagine a disease with the "spreadability" of the flu and an ebola-like death rate. Getting worried about it and sorting it out quickly with mass incineration of birds in contaminated aviaries was another victory for the health authorities.

Last edited:

Arruda

Supports
Porto
First transmission outside Africa confirmed. A nursing assistant caught Ebola when treating the Spanish missionary who died in Madrid last September 26th.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Bound to happen sooner or later, as many of those who get infected head back to their home countries for treatment.
Quite different in this case as they brought the priest who had Ebola into Spain themselves, rather than him coming back into the country and then going to hospital on his own accord - as was the case in America. In this instance, given they were completely prepared, there has been a serious lapse in protocol to end up with another ebola case, it should never have happened.

This was how the priest was taken to hospital from the flight:

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I know pretty much nothing about how much of a threat that Ebola actually faces, I heard someone discussing how vaccinations take up to 90 days to produce and they have very few left as they weren't expecting an outbreak. It sounded like conspiracy shit to me, but is there substance to it? I'd have thought that developed countries would be able to contain it and treat it and that if it arrived in the UK it wouldn't be that huge a deal.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I know pretty much nothing about how much of a threat that Ebola actually faces, I heard someone discussing how vaccinations take up to 90 days to produce and they have very few left as they weren't expecting an outbreak. It sounded like conspiracy shit to me, but is there substance to it? I'd have thought that developed countries would be able to contain it and treat it and that if it arrived in the UK it wouldn't be that huge a deal.
The vaccinations are all experimental so even if they can produce them in 90 days they may not work. My guess is 90 days refers to small scale production rather than the scale of flu shots, MMR etc. Large scale will take longer with greater risks of failure.

The good news is we do have a good system in place to isolate symptomatic individuals so risks are lowered.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
(Apparently) Nigeria contained and got rid of Ebola. They had 20 cases but it's been a while since a case transmitted inside the country has been reported. If they could do it, I suppose our health systems can do it as well, but it's nevertheless a bit concerning.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Who knows how many people she contaminated. And how many they have themselves. Unbelievable stupidity shown by the Spanish authorities. How can you be so negligent about a virus that could rival the Black Death if allowed to spread?
Seems to me it isn't that difficult to transmit too. Not so long ago the media would have you believed you have to eat the shit or bathe in the blood of a ebola patient to get it.
What we might find out soon is that it can be transmitted like a regular flu, through coughing and sneezing.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
My nephew's about to be deployed to Sierra Leone very soon.

Join the army see the world they said.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Who knows how many people she contaminated. And how many they have themselves. Unbelievable stupidity shown by the Spanish authorities. How can you be so negligent about a virus that could rival the Black Death if allowed to spread?
Seems to me it isn't that difficult to transmit too. Not so long ago the media would have you believed you have to eat the shit or bathe in the blood of a ebola patient to get it.
What we might find out soon is that it can be transmitted like a regular flu, through coughing and sneezing.
Panic much

Whiteside1985

As usual, media reporting of health stories is a long way from great.
Lots of scare-mongering and panic.
Yes, it's a very dangerous virus, but this is not a doomsday scenario.

A sad but true fact is that in a developed country, on the whole, outbreaks will be better controlled and I suspect that the survival rates will be much higher.
It would only be a concern if you had been in close contact with someone who had the infection.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
(Apparently) Nigeria contained and got rid of Ebola. They had 20 cases but it's been a while since a case transmitted inside the country has been reported. If they could do it, I suppose our health systems can do it as well, but it's nevertheless a bit concerning.
I'm not sure they're out of the woods, what with the porous border control at land and air ports.

Still, impressive work by the Nigerian authorities. Amazing how they managed to prevent an epidemic in Lagos.

Member 39557

Yeah fecking right we are. He's already been in some hairy places but this is different.
Yes, I guess you can sort of accept a soldier going into a war zone as it's part of the job, albeit a worrying part!
Being on the front line in trying to control the spread of a potentially fatal disease is not what soldiers sign up for.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
From the little he could tell me it sounds like he's training their army. Not sure how his job helps them out though given the situation.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
From the little he could tell me it sounds like he's training their army. Not sure how his job helps them out though given the situation.
Most likely to train their military to effectively implement quarantines, etc.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
CDC dropped the travel advissory for Nigeria from a Lev 2 to a Lev 1 because of how well Nigeria did containing the cases they had. Even those who had come in contact with the patients in Nigeria have now passed the 21 day period when they would have shown signs of infection.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Just got word another nephew is just got word he's heading to Sierra Leone too. Navy pilot.

Just been on the news we're sending 3 choppers out there. My nephew's is one of them.

Last edited:

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Did this Spanish nurse catch it from touching her face then?

I thought they'd be completely covered up in those suits. Treating someone with your skin on show seems incredibly risky.
She thinks she touched her face when removing the suit. Something like removing the face protection first and then instinctively scratching her face before removing the gloves.

NoLogo

Vice News: The Fight Against Ebola

Jeez what a cluster feck. We need to bring much more help to those countries struggling with Ebola, how are they supposed to solve this crisis with the infrastructure and equipment they have?

Nitsche

So, this virus.....can it pass through the skin or does it need to pass from body fluid to body fluid?

Seems more contagious than just direct transfer via body fluids, as with some other viruses.
It is bodily fluids, but you have to remember that in these West African country's, some of the body's are just left in the street, or families take them home with them (Part of their cultures) and therefore easily come into contact.

If the first outbreak had been in a more modern and prepared Nation/City, this outbreak would have been relatively contained by now.

Ole'sbodyguard

It is bodily fluids, but you have to remember that in these West African country's, some of the body's are just left in the street, or families take them home with them (Part of their cultures) and therefore easily come into contact.

If the first outbreak had been in a more modern and prepared Nation/City, this outbreak would have been relatively contained by now.
I don't know if there a difference but I thought Ebola was transmitted either through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person(e.g. Blood, sweat, vomit, urine, etc) or through second hand with effected linen and surfaces. Because of the second aspect does not make it slight more than just contact with bodily fluids?