g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ebola

Nitsche

Would not be surprised if this second infection again came from a break down in procedure when dealing with the patient.

Nitsche

Mistakes in procedure at the hospital could possibly have put a lot of people at risk....

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Mistakes in procedure at the hospital could possibly have put a lot of people at risk....
Personally, if I worked on the guy with ebola, for the good of everyone else, I would probably cancel any travel or major events for 3 weeks to avoid exposing anyone in case I did have it.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
At the very least this is going to cause a lot of worry to a lot of people. Why on earth was this woman allowed to travel?

Typical Fox news had a Doctor on telling everyone not to panic and stay calm and pointing out lots of obvious things and the newsreader was stirring the pot up and criticising everything he said and helping to cause anxiety and panic.

Code-CX

Maybe we should close our borders to anyone form Africa or the US for a year or two. Better safe than sorry.
That's probably a bad idea. People would find unofficial ways to leave their country making them much harder to track down and there would be no screening procedures.

I was reading the timeline here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/15/ebola-epidemic-2014-timeline

Can anyone tell me about the 2nd strain. Is it in the wild? Is it as deadly. How have there been two different outbreaks simultaniously (within a year). Or are there always outbreaks, and is it just our main strain being so infectious and deadly that's causing problems
Check this link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/24/us-health-ebola-congodemocratic-idUSKBN0GO0R520140824

There are 5 knows strains of the Ebola virus: Bundibugyo, Zaire, Sudan, Reston, and Taï Fores (there have been no reported cases of human deaths caused by the last 2 strains).

The one you hear about in Africa is the Zaire strain, which is considered to be the most lethal one. The one in Congo is believed to be a mixture between the Sudanese and Zaire strains. I'm not sure whether or not a mixture of those two strains is more lethal but it could possibly be the case.

I've been reading a fair bit about the Zaire strain and it's a bit interesting since food science is what I studied in university. The Zaire strain is believed to be caused by people who eat bush meat (fruit bats are the main carriers of the virus be it through their saliva or feces which then reaches gorillas and monkeys). A lot of people think that improper cooking is the main reason why people get this virus when that's part of the cause (ebola is actually destroyed if people cooked their food adequately). The problem is the people who handle this meat have no idea what cross contamination is (for example they may cut themselves when handling the food and get contaminated with the virus).

Last edited:

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
That's probably a bad idea. People would find unofficial ways to leave their country making them much harder to track down and there would be no screening procedures.

Check this link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/24/us-health-ebola-congodemocratic-idUSKBN0GO0R520140824

There are 5 knows strains of the Ebola virus: Bundibugyo, Zaire, Sudan, Reston, and Taï Fores (there have been no reported cases of human deaths caused by the last 2 strains).

The one you hear about in Africa is the Zaire strain, which is considered to be the most lethal one. The one in Congo is believed to be a mixture between the Sudanese and Zaire strains. I'm not sure whether or not a mixture of those two strains is more lethal but it could possibly be the case.

I've been reading a fair bit about the Zaire strain and it's a bit interesting since food science is what I studied in univesrity. The Zaire strain is believed to be caused by people who eat bush meat (fruit bats are the main carriers of the virus be it through their saliva or feces which then reaches guerrillas and monkeys). A lot of people think that improper cooking is the reason why people get this virus. That is wrong since cooking actually kills the virus. The problem is the people who handle this meat have no idea what cross contamination is (for example they may cut themselves when handling the food and get contaminated with the virus).
I've done some virus inactivation work but not using high heat. How sensitive is Ebola to heat? Couldn't improper cooking mean cold on the inside and burned to a crisp on the outside? You are probably right though that cross contamination is the likely culprit. Given how full PTE is not 100% with a minor mistake I would imagine handling a contaminated animal and then touching your eye etc could be enough.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I am not really that surprised that hospitals are having trouble following procedues. Though I guess it does depend on the hospital. If it is one that is supposed to be top notch at dealing with outbreaks and have the right protocol in place and the experience (not with Ebola per se, but perhaps dealing with other diseases), then we should expect strick adherence. But I would think many hospitals if they just had someone walk in off the street in the ER would probably not be up to par on handling the situation and that their staff may not be as well trained as we would hope.

Finding out one of the nurses from Texas hopped on a plain when she should not have is troubling. There is also a story that a reporter whose cameraman had died of Ebola and she was supposed to be under a sort of quarantine, but not cooped up in a hospital, was seen outside a restaurant as a male companion went inside to pick up their order. Given the chance to make their own decisions in a case like this many people will just selfishly make the wrong one.

Code-CX

I've done some virus inactivation work but not using high heat. How sensitive is Ebola to heat? Couldn't improper cooking mean cold on the inside and burned to a crisp on the outside? You are probably right though that cross contamination is the likely culprit. Given how full PTE is not 100% with a minor mistake I would imagine handling a contaminated animal and then touching your eye etc could be enough.
You're totally right. I wanted to point out that proper cooking does actually kill Ebola and had a brain fart instead.

From what I've read, it's moderately thermolabile (boiling for 5 minutes or heating at 60 degrees Celsius for 30-60 minutes could eliminate it).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

I've been reading a fair bit about the Zaire strain and it's a bit interesting since food science is what I studied in univesrity. The Zaire strain is believed to be caused by people who eat bush meat (fruit bats are the main carriers of the virus be it through their saliva or feces which then reaches guerrillas and monkeys). A lot of people think that improper cooking is the main reason why people get this virus when that's part of the cause (ebola is actually destroyed if people cooked their food adequately). The problem is the people who handle this meat have no idea what cross contamination is (for example they may cut themselves when handling the food and get contaminated with the virus).
Cheers dude!

I'm rather worried about this 2 combined strains of Ebola to be honest. If one doesn't get you, the other will? Apocolyptic stuff.

I'll digest it and get back to you

Nitsche

I had heard a couple of weeks ago that the 'other' strain of Ebola was actually less fatal, and was being battled more easily.

Also, in relation to the bush meat discussion above, there's this explanation from the WHO website:
It is thought that fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are natural Ebola virus hosts. Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals such as chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Those two posts above are so sad but true.

A plane isolated on a runway in Madrid and a Yale student in hospital with Ebola symptoms in Connecticut after returning from Africa. They need to get this shit contained quickly. Especially in the States. The news stations are trying to whip people in to a frenzy.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
At the very least this is going to cause a lot of worry to a lot of people. Why on earth was this woman allowed to travel?

Typical Fox news had a Doctor on telling everyone not to panic and stay calm and pointing out lots of obvious things and the newsreader was stirring the pot up and criticising everything he said and helping to cause anxiety and panic.
Find it quite worrying that this Ebola contact is a member of the hospital staff under observation. If the staff themselves haven't got the sense to think before they travel or do anything within this quarantine period then it really doesn't inspire people with much confidence in the medical system over there in the US.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The news that Senegal & Nigeria have contained the virus is a recent positive, if super high risk countries like that can contain it, I can't see why western nations shouldn't be able to.

Lu Tze

People on my facebook discussing how Ebola is Western propaganda to weaken Africa. Mind boggling.

JustAFan

Find it quite worrying that this Ebola contact is a member of the hospital staff under observation. If the staff themselves haven't got the sense to think before they travel or do anything within this quarantine period then it really doesn't inspire people with much confidence in the medical system over there in the US.
As I said before given the choice people will do the selfish stupid thing.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Seems like the four suspected cases in Spain have all tested negative for the disease. Some positive news on it for once.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cheers dude!

I'm rather worried about this 2 combined strains of Ebola to be honest. If one doesn't get you, the other will? Apocolyptic stuff.

I'll digest it and get back to you
People worry about the wrong thing. The more lethal and the more transmittable the less we have to worry about a worldwide pandemic.

rcoobc

People worry about the wrong thing. The more lethal and the more transmittable the less we have to worry about a worldwide pandemic.
I'm sure that doesn't make as much sense as you think it does

Last edited:

JustAFan

Got my dumbass cousin pissed at me for calling her out on some of her Ebola beliefs. She was certain there were 100's in the US that have or had it and over a million in West Africa. She was not happy having facts placed in front of her.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm sure that doesn't make as much sense as you think it does
It does make sense. Humans aren't a good host for Ebola as it kills us too fast. This outbreak has a mortality rate of about 50% whereas some of the earlier outbreaks that quickly died out had mortality rates of 90% and thus they disappeared quickly. Not that I'd like to test it but in modelling the same goes for increased speed of transmission largely because individuals/communities/cities/countries react with a lockdown and when high mortality is combined with high tranmission rates pockets of infection die out very quickly. Speed of onset of symptoms also plays a huge part as we have seen with AIDS where a very high mortality rate doesn't reduce transmission much when it can take a long time for the first symptoms to show. You can't treat what you don't know is there.

rcoobc

It does make sense. Humans aren't a good host for Ebola as it kills us too fast. This outbreak has a mortality rate of about 50% whereas some of the earlier outbreaks that quickly died out had mortality rates of 90% and thus they disappeared quickly. Not that I'd like to test it but in modelling the same goes for increased speed of transmission largely because individuals/communities/cities/countries react with a lockdown and when high mortality is combined with high tranmission rates pockets of infection die out very quickly. Speed of onset of symptoms also plays a huge part as we have seen with AIDS where a very high mortality rate doesn't reduce transmission much when it can take a long time for the first symptoms to show. You can't treat what you don't know is there.
Okay, that all makes sense. Ebola kills fast, which is obviously bad for the virus. And symptoms are onset quickly so diagnosis can be quick and working out who everyone has been in contact is easy.

But what I was confused about was this:
Which I didnt think made much sense. I've highlighted your argument above, but I still dont think it makes sense.

I cant round how having a high transmission rate helps. You're going to say a high transmission rate = everyone in the area dying quickly. But it doesn't seemed to have naturally burned itself out anywhere.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ebola has burned itself out every time at least until this outbreak.

Mortality and transmission rate combined with the time to onset of symptoms interact to give each virus an outbreak signature in effect. Increased transmisability on it's own won't necessarily cause an about break to burn out faster but it potentially will in combination with the other factors. A virus with a fast onset, high transmisability and high mortality will burn out the fastest. Of course you don't want a virus with a long gestation period to increase in transmisability but this isn't the case with Ebola.

The point I was making is that what people tend to worry about with Ebola isn't really what we need to worry about. The current outbreak seems to be largely contained in 3 of the the very poorest countries of Western Africa. These countries and Liberia in particular could see huge mortality but unless things change the rest of Africa seems to be coping OK and the rest of the world should be fine. I guess the real worry would be if the disease got a foothold in another poor very populous part of the world.

Last edited: