Music Ed Sheeran

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
When you are trying to point out how good you think someone is, you really dont want to be linking that video to underpin your point

Thats shocking
He quite amazingly removes all emotion from it, preferring to concentrate on vocal masturbation and showing the world that he can use a loop station.

Here's how that song should sound...

... you know, like its an actual story, and the person singing it isn't some sort of cardboard cutout.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I'm going to make a generalisation and say that people who like Ed Sheeran mostly don't really like music.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
For the record, I like Ed Sheeran, but there is literally a feck ton of better music out there.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I wouldn't call him awful and he's quite clearly a talented musician but his album really is a bit boring. I watched his concert at iTunes Festival and he was much better than he sounds on the record.

Shark

@NotShark
I had a quick listen to most of his new album last night and there's some really good songs on there, a few different genres mixed in too, which gives it variation. It's much more mature than his debut and far superior in terms of songwriting.

He's a talent, no doubt about that.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I had a quick listen to most of his new album last night and there's some really good songs on there, a few different genres mixed in too, which gives it variation. It's much more mature than his debut and far superior in terms of songwriting.

He's a talent, no doubt about that.
and a ginger!!

Its a solid album though.

NinjaFletch

I don't really see whats to dislike about Ed Sheeran, he comes across humbly and his music, even if you don't like it, is inoffensive enough not to be annoying.

He's also really talented.

Shark

@NotShark
I always assumed Sheeran was despised by most people who aren't teenage girls.
Well you assumed wrong. If you don't see the difference between a musician like Ed Sheeran and somebody like Justin Beiber, well then there's no words really.

Last edited:

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Well you assumed wrong. If you don't see the difference between a musician like Ed Sheeran and somebody like Justin Beiber, well then there's no words really.
Well the words would be "Ed Sheeran is a bit shit" but then that's my opinion, as is yours on Justin Bieber, who you brought up because I guess he's seen as the absolute zero of musical quality.

Shark

@NotShark
Well the words would be "Ed Sheeran is a bit shit" but then that's my opinion, as is yours on Justin Bieber, who you brought up because I guess he's seen as the absolute zero of musical quality.
Beibers target audience is teenage girls, so that's why I brought him up. Fair enough if you dislike Sheerans music, but you should probably educate yourself a bit more if you assumed that he's disliked by most people that aren't teenage girls.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Beibers target audience is teenage girls, so that's why I brought him up. Fair enough if you dislike Sheerans music, but you should probably educate yourself a bit more if you assumed that he's disliked by most people that aren't teenage girls.
Well I mean, his critical acclaim seems to be pretty similar to Biebers and where I'm from he's probably held in the same regards as Jason Mraz or Pete Murray. Which is to say, most people don't give him any thought at all.

Shark

@NotShark
Well I mean, his critical acclaim seems to be pretty similar to Biebers and where I'm from he's probably held in the same regards as Jason Mraz or Pete Murray. Which is to say, most people don't give him any thought at all.
Well for one, Sheeran writes his own songs and is talented at that. Not to mention he's an excellent guitarist and rather you like him vocally or not, he's also a talented singer. Beiber isn't any of those things and anybody with any critical merit musically would know that.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Well for one, Sheeran writes his own songs and is talented at that. Not to mention he's an excellent guitarist and rather you like him vocally or not, he's also a talented singer. Beiber isn't any of those things and anybody with any critical merit musically would know that.
I don't really think there's any points arguing shades of bad because there's enough good music (i.e. music I like) to not listen to either. I don't really mind if pop stars don't write their own music because so much good pop is performed by these people. Writing your own songs counts for bupcus if the songs are no good.

And I'm not trying to compare Bieber favourably to Sheeran, I think he's total shit and a pretty bad person. He can sing though, at least on a technical level.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't mind him one bit and he's a totally sound guy (remember reading that story about that dying girl). I'm also still obsessed with that I See Fire song :lol:

Heard one song on his new album that I though was Justin Timberlake.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't really think there's any points arguing shades of bad because there's enough good music (i.e. music I like) to not listen to either. I don't really mind if pop stars don't write their own music because so much good pop is performed by these people. Writing your own songs counts for bupcus if the songs are no good.

And I'm not trying to compare Bieber favourably to Sheeran, I think he's total shit and a pretty bad person. He can sing though, at least on a technical level.
I listen to a lot of different types of genres, music is too broad not to IMO. We all have our opinions and Sheeran, although still being very young, is a talented songwriter. His new album for one is light years more mature than his debut album, I think he was around 18 when he wrote most of his songs on the first one.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
I don't mind him one bit and he's a totally sound guy (remember reading that story about that dying girl). I'm also still obsessed with that I See Fire song :lol:

Heard one song on his new album that I though was Justin Timberlake.
Yep, there is a bit of Justin Timberlake in there alright. Listen to the whole album though, there's a lot of diversity.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
He's obviously very talented and comes across really likeable. I think his music is stuff you wouldn't buy or have on an iPod, but wouldn't turn off when it comes on the radio.

I also think he either has now, or will have in the near future, a stalker from redcafe going by this page ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Have only heard the stuff that got played on the radio. I thought it was awful. Also, the Wayfaring Stranger cover is without doubt the worst version of that song I've ever heard.

None of the discussions like this can reach any meaningful conclusion though. No accounting for taste, so you can't really judge.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I like his voice (well... I don't hate it). His songs, however, are very dull and unremarkable.