Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Sterling Archer

Aye, it's usually difficult to back up lies.
Mate, c'mon now. Are you seriously telling me you don't recall LVG being unhappy with Woodward going behind his back and finding his replacement? The announcement of his sacking in very disrespectful manner was a big talking point on here. Likewise the Klopp interview in which Woodward pitched United as Disneyland? Or the actual interview with Woodward, who stated that United was capable of a marquee player each window? Or the other statement he made to undermine the managers transfer list, stating we could pay $100 million for a defender like Varane if he were available?

You actually don't remember all of those? Because like I said, it's out there. But I'm not linking them for you. I've been kind enough to summarize just a few of the points.

Quite odd the defense of Woodward.

UncleBob

Mate, c'mon now. Are you seriously telling me you don't recall LVG being unhappy with Woodward going behind his back and finding his replacement? The announcement of his sacking in very disrespectful manner was a big talking point on here. Likewise the Klopp interview in which Woodward pitched United as Disneyland? Or the actual interview with Woodward, who stated that United was capable of a marquee player each window? Or the other statement he made to undermine the managers transfer list, stating we could pay $100 million for a defender like Varane if he were available?

You actually don't remember all of those? Because like I said, it's out there. But I'm not linking them for you. I've been kind enough to summarize just a few of the points.

Quite odd the defense of Woodward.
This is your original quote

As well as what managers like LVG, Klopp, Jose and even Sir Alex have said about him being difficult.
Now you're trying to defend it with the reference of Van Gaal being unhappy that he was sacked the way he was, and Klopps claim of Woodward calling United a Disneyland, and this equates to Woodward being difficult :lol:

This isn't all that complicated, stop making up bullshit.

If you can't find a single reputable source to back up what your claiming, well....

Sterling Archer

This is your original quote

Now you're trying to defend it with the reference of Van Gaal being unhappy that he was sacked the way he was, and Klopps claim of Woodward calling United a Disneyland, and this equates to Woodward being difficult :lol:

This isn't all that complicated, stop making up bullshit.

If you can't find a single reputable source to back up what your claiming, well....
You're hung up one particular word here? And for what? To absolve Ed Woodward as a great executive for the club?

What's your opinion of Ed? What do you think of him? You know what I do. And don't worry, I don't need you to pull up any sort of story to back up your opinion. But I'll tell you, you're coming off as either here just to be contrarian or a Glazer and Woodward sympathiser.

UncleBob

You're hung up one particular word here? And for what? To absolve Ed Woodward as a great executive for the club?

What's your opinion of Ed? What do you think of him? You know what I do. And don't worry, I don't need you to pull up any sort of story to back up your opinion. But I'll tell you, you're coming off as either here just to be contrarian or a Glazer and Woodward sympathiser.
:lol: You get called out for constantly lying and creating false narratives, and your response is that i'm a Glazer and Woodward sympathizer, mint.

Not sure why this is supposedly complicated, i'm dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of people lying about even the simplest of things just because they don't like someone, as if fact checking these days is done by going to the library to browse through newspaper headlines from the past 10 years...I mean, if the actual reasons to dislike him aren't enough then maybe you need to reconsider things a bit...

I honestly couldn't be less bothered about you not liking someone, it's meaningless, the only thing that's actually close to being annoying, but probably more sad than anything, is your constant need to make shit up.

Sterling Archer

:lol: You get called out for constantly lying and creating false narratives, and your response is that i'm a Glazer and Woodward sympathizer, mint.

Not sure why this is supposedly complicated, i'm dumbfounded by the sheer stupidity of people lying about even the simplest of things just because they don't like someone, as if fact checking these days is done by going to the library to browse through newspaper headlines from the past 10 years...I mean, if the actual reasons to dislike him aren't enough then maybe you need to reconsider things a bit...

I honestly couldn't be less bothered about you not liking someone, it's meaningless, the only thing that's actually close to being annoying, but probably more sad than anything, is your constant need to make shit up.
You wrote a lot of things there and didn't answer a single very simple question.

You're a wum. Bye.

Fluctuation0161

The point is that other PL teams make no where near what we make. Even City who fake their deals don't come close to us.

When you look at commercial revenue only, United are head and shoulders above everyone else. TV money is what's helping the other English clubs.
We were talking about Woodward. We had the highest commercial revenue before Woodward. Then, all premiership teams have benefited from growing commercial interest in the Premiership and grown rapidly year on year. Many clubs have grown more than us.

Regarding your point about City; FYI our commercial income is at £276M and Citys (admittedly inflated) does come close at £232M.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Bojan11

Yep we’re a circus because we want to move on from Fergie? Let’s just be the club who can never move on from their past and don’t know how to rebuild and get stuck trying to relive the old days
Fergie apparently wanted Potch so clearly he doesn’t want the old days back too.

Saf94

Fergie apparently wanted Potch so clearly he doesn’t want the old days back too.
That’s like saying he wants Messi. Of course he wants a world class manager but that doesn’t mean anything.

We can’t always go to Fergie for advice we need to learn how to be self sustaining, Fergie retired, it’s over we need to move on.

Bojan11

That’s like saying he wants Messi. Of course he wants a world class manager but that doesn’t mean anything.

We can’t always go to Fergie for advice we need to learn how to be self sustaining, Fergie retired, it’s over we need to move on.
You said he wanted to relive the old days back. What part of Potch is the old days?

Keefy18

There's no double standard. I hate Woodward and will attribute every little mistake on him. That's the treatment each of our failed managers have had. So now it's only fair to focus on Ed. As we already have fans turning on Ole I don't think it's even remotely inappropriate to blame everything on the smug finance egoman iacleading out football club.
Nice to see you've an open mind on the topic so :lol::lol:

He's been in charge for 6 years, which is the same amount of time it took Fergie to win a league...when Fergie wasn't marching to leagues, did the fans call for Edwards head? No! They flew banners at matches calling for Fergies head!

Folks go on about United not being a sacking club, yes we bloody are! Fergies success kept him in a job, same for Busby! It wasn't the board simply rewarding him time for the sake of it. In a 127 year history we've had 25 different managers, meaning the average reign of a United manager is 5 years. I mean how many failures did we have getting to Busby? How many after Busby to Fergie? How many will we have from Fergie to...........(insert name here)?

• How was it Woodwards fault Moyes got the job? Gill was CEO, not Woodward. Woodward inherited a s*it show immediately.
  • How was it Woodwards fault Moyes couldn't attract big names to the club? But sure, if he did you'd blame him also for only wanting "Galacticos".
  • How is it Woodwards fault Jose refused to sell to raise funds for transfers? I mean, LVG sold players no issues, the selling of players suddenly stopped with Jose's arrival and another new narrative started against Woodward that he was apparently over ruling him. :houllier:
  • How is it Woodwards fault that both Moyes and Jose couldn't roll out any kind of logical football structure on the pitch and off it? It isn't his job pal to be in charge of training, playing identity and overall structure of the team, that's on the manager. The same way it was with Fergie & Gill / Kenyon & Edwards. Only LVG post Fergie has done this, we may not of liked it, but he done it. Top to bottom, youth, scouting and first team with an identity.
  • How is it Woodwards fault for Jose neglecting scouting? Jose's form of scouting basically involves signing the flavor of the month for inflated prices, what a coincidence the "Galactico" nonsense started with his arrival...shock horror!
  • How is it Woodwards fault he was forced to keep limited players like Fellaini, whom Jose VERY publicly demanded be kept? I mean stop and think for a moment, if Woodward sells him..he is over ruling Jose. If he keeps him folks blame him also for keeping a sub par player but the reality is Jose demanded he stay. No coincidence again that within a month of Jose going, Fellaini was first out the door for his public statements of "Jose making it easy for him".
  • How is it Woodwards fault if the targets specified by a coach aren't available or are over priced? Is that the chief execs issue or one of the managers and his scouts? Now before you answer, remember Jose's head scout walked as well after 1 year in the role for a DoF role elsewhere. Scouting again an issue here, which isn't Woodward's job.

I could go on an on with countless examples of how utterly ridiculous the LUHG sentiments are, its complete and utter revisionism at is finest, double standards and that kind of supporter is creating a role Woodward doesn't do at the club at all to enforce their argument.

He's to blame for not rolling out a new structure at the club basically, to modernize the club. But hey, guess what...when he tries to do that as well and possibly involve former players in the structure of the club akin to how Bayern & Ajax operate... folks are again creating narratives they've no bloody idea about, like he's only hiring "yes men" so its against Woodward again.

Like I say its double standards and our fan base expect instant miracles.

City and Liverpool whom are now miles ahead of us took years to build up their board and footballing structures, both got it wrong at least a few times in recent memory, we will have to do the same to get back to the top.

SER19

He's been in charge for 6 years, which is the same amount of time it took Fergie to win a league...when Fergie wasn't marching to leagues, did the fans call for Edwards head? No! They flew banners at matches calling for Fergies head!

Folks go on about United not being a sacking club, yes we bloody are! Fergies success kept him in a job, same for Busby! It wasn't the board simply rewarding him time for the sake of it. In a 127 year history we've had 25 different managers, meaning the average reign of a United manager is 5 years. I mean how many failures did we have getting to Busby? How many after Busby to Fergie? How many will we have from Fergie to...........(insert name here)?

• How was it Woodwards fault Moyes got the job? Gill was CEO, not Woodward. Woodward inherited a s*it show immediately.
  • How was it Woodwards fault Moyes couldn't attract big names to the club? But sure, if he did you'd blame him also for only wanting "Galacticos".
  • How is it Woodwards fault Jose refused to sell to raise funds for transfers? I mean, LVG sold players no issues, the selling of players suddenly stopped with Jose's arrival and another new narrative started against Woodward that he was apparently over ruling him. :houllier:
  • How is it Woodwards fault that both Moyes and Jose couldn't roll out any kind of logical football structure on the pitch and off it? It isn't his job pal to be in charge of training, playing identity and overall structure of the team, that's on the manager. The same way it was with Fergie & Gill / Kenyon & Edwards. Only LVG post Fergie has done this, we may not of liked it, but he done it. Top to bottom, youth, scouting and first team with an identity.
  • How is it Woodwards fault for Jose neglecting scouting? Jose's form of scouting basically involves signing the flavor of the month for inflated prices, what a coincidence the "Galactico" nonsense started with his arrival...shock horror!
  • How is it Woodwards fault he was forced to keep limited players like Fellaini, whom Jose VERY publicly demanded be kept? I mean stop and think for a moment, if Woodward sells him..he is over ruling Jose. If he keeps him folks blame him also for keeping a sub par player but the reality is Jose demanded he stay. No coincidence again that within a month of Jose going, Fellaini was first out the door for his public statements of "Jose making it easy for him".
  • How is it Woodwards fault if the targets specified by a coach aren't available or are over priced? Is that the chief execs issue or one of the managers and his scouts? Now before you answer, remember Jose's head scout walked as well after 1 year in the role for a DoF role elsewhere. Scouting again an issue here, which isn't Woodward's job.

I could go on an on with countless examples of how utterly ridiculous the LUHG sentiments are, its complete and utter revisionism at is finest, double standards and that kind of supporter is creating a role Woodward doesn't do at the club at all to enforce their argument.

He's to blame for not rolling out a new structure at the club basically, to modernize the club. But hey, guess what...when he tries to do that as well and possibly involve former players in the structure of the club akin to how Bayern & Ajax operate... folks are again creating narratives they've no bloody idea about, like he's only hiring "yes men" so its against Woodward again.

City and Liverpool whom are now miles ahead of us took years to build up their board and footballing structures, both got it wrong at least a few times in recent memory, we will have to do the same to get back to the top.
Ed, please get back to work.

SER19

Yep we’re a circus because we want to move on from Fergie? Let’s just be the club who can never move on from their past and don’t know how to rebuild and get stuck trying to relive the old days
Hate this extreme swing. Nobody is saying that. That Alex Ferguson should be afforded the same respect and treatment he gave matt Busby is a given. His opinion should absolutely be sought on big issues, no law to follow it, but sought. 100%. No person on earth knows the club and its place and challenges in the football world more than him. That is an inarguable fact. To have some accountants from London move him from the table is disgraceful, if true.

SER19

:lol::lol:

Folks just don't like the truth.

When things are bad they want someone to blame.
I disagree with you, I think Woodward is an absolute disaster. But the way you've framed your points you are correct, but I think it's more complex than that and that he has very little to show as accomplishments in 6 years beyond getting a money printing machine to print money. I think the work he did in the market for mourinhos first season was his best time and it seemed like he delivered what was wanted for decent fees.

Fredo

You broke my heart!

Very good post, quite pathetic seeing people here nag about him when he ended up getting most of the transfer targets THE MANAGER(S) ASKED FOR.

Most of the players we signed were good players prior to joining us, is it really Woodward's fault? LVG has a shitload of players coming in and he could not amass a decent 11, instead relying on youth in one given game (due to injuries), bottled a whole season against West Ham.

Then came Jose, asked for Pogba, Ibra, Mikhtaryan, also got them. Asked for two defenders, Bailly and Lindelof, also got them. Ibra left, he asked for Lukaku, also got him.

When he failed to get the best out of them he started asking for other players so how is this exactly Woodward's fault? Jose went all rogue on Mkhitaryan and was eager to offload him so we can get Sanchez.
When Sanchez was a shitshow, Jose as usual asked for more players despite our squad being at least okay on paper.

I do not see how it is always Woodward's fault when the players managers asked for did not turn up, this is due to coaching not to club management.

The squad needs a massive clearout this is evident, we are still stuck with players from LVG's tenure, the likes of Herrera (now leaving), Darmian, Rojo and others who are not worth wearing the shirt (most of them being pointed out in different threads here)
The financial support is there as it has been shown by the board since SAF retired, managers should do better at this club.

As for contract renewals, I don't think they happen without the manager's approval, so extending Young's contract and co was definitely shared with OGS and he agreed.

Keefy18

I disagree with you, I think Woodward is an absolute disaster. But the way you've framed your points you are correct, but I think it's more complex than that and that he has very little to show as accomplishments in 6 years beyond getting a money printing machine to print money. I think the work he did in the market for mourinhos first season was his best time and it seemed like he delivered what was wanted for decent fees.
Fully entitled to disagree and I won't say he is perfect but the majority of the things he gets labelled with don't fall under his job remit and when folks bother to look at the objectively it blows these myths apart.

The last bit is something he routinely gets dogs abuse for, there have been mistakes of course but certainly not all bad by any means and its certainly not all on Ed either.

Like I say, Moyes wasn't his choice and its not his fault Moyes spent the entire summer chasing unrealistic targets in Cesc & Kroos.

He appointed the best available man at that time in LVG. All other top targets were arguably in settled roles. LVG arrived late that first summer but he said he was fine with Herrera & Shaw both being signed as they were both long term targets of the club already prior to his arrival.
When LVG showed up eventually in Aug of 2014 post WC Duty, the transfers took off like a rocket. There was plenty of incoming's and outgoing's which is something folks conveniently ignore but instead continue to run a narrative of Woodward being too slow to get business done, "#Glazernomics".

He no doubt made a mistake in hiring Jose and bowing to fan pressure, same folks that invested in Jose half and half scarves and proudly wore them at matches whilst LVG was still manager.

Jose hired a new head of scouting, who quit after a year. So how is there this narrative that Ed has a strangle hold on transfer business?

LVG had his own scouting clearly as he invested in his own type of player in Blind, Memphis and brought Chong in as well for youth. Our transfer business done a 180 with the arrival of Jose, the narrative of Ed only wanting "Galacticos" started with Jose's.

Jose's 2nd season he got what he wanted, Jose's words himself.

Ed bowed to Jose's pressure and kept Fellaini for him, he wasn't over ruled there.

The only bone of contention is arguably the Centre back. Personally I believe all transfer business is a bit of give and take.

Folks conveniently ignore the fact he sold our best performing CB in Blind to Ajax but held onto Jones, Smalling & Rojo! He could easily of sold another of those to raise funds for his very expensive targets of Alderwereild or Maguire, but he didn't. He didn't want to sell Darmian either who has publicly stated for years he wants to return home.

No managers gets every single player their hearts desire. Poch didn't get a single player to invest in last summer, he made a CL final and finished 4th. Fergie was told no so much by Edwards he retired early and only done a u-turn cause he got wind of new owners in the not to distant future.

It's standard Jose engineering a pay off when he's failed in his role and pointing the finger of blame at those above him, same as he done at Chelsea & Real.

Keefy18

Very good post, quite pathetic seeing people here nag about him when he ended up getting most of the transfer targets THE MANAGER(S) ASKED FOR.

Most of the players we signed were good players prior to joining us, is it really Woodward's fault? LVG has a shitload of players coming in and he could not amass a decent 11, instead relying on youth in one given game (due to injuries), bottled a whole season against West Ham.

Then came Jose, asked for Pogba, Ibra, Mikhtaryan, also got them. Asked for two defenders, Bailly and Lindelof, also got them. Ibra left, he asked for Lukaku, also got him.

When he failed to get the best out of them he started asking for other players so how is this exactly Woodward's fault? Jose went all rogue on Mkhitaryan and was eager to offload him so we can get Sanchez.
When Sanchez was a shitshow, Jose as usual asked for more players despite our squad being at least okay on paper.

I do not see how it is always Woodward's fault when the players managers asked for did not turn up, this is due to coaching not to club management.

The squad needs a massive clearout this is evident, we are still stuck with players from LVG's tenure, the likes of Herrera (now leaving), Darmian, Rojo and others who are not worth wearing the shirt (most of them being pointed out in different threads here)
The financial support is there as it has been shown by the board since SAF retired, managers should do better at this club.

As for contract renewals, I don't think they happen without the manager's approval, so extending Young's contract and co was definitely shared with OGS and he agreed.
Thanks, nice to see some level heads in here and actually think of things objectively.

Ed didn't interfere with Moyes transfer dealings, he allowed him every possibility to sign players like Kroos & Cesc and when they didn't materialize we had to panic buy Fellaini! The same Fellaini Woodward didn't want to keep and give a new deal, the same Fellaini that was booted out the door the minute Jose was as well.

LVG signed some good and some bad players. Memphis and Blind whilst not setting the world alight for us are now showing their worth elsewhere for other clubs. It's a pity but goes to show its 2 more players he bought that were in fact very good.

Again Ed didn't interfere with LVG's transfer dealings, he held off until LVG arrived at the club post WC duty and our transfer activity those last 3-4 weeks approximately was insane. I remember the buzz around the club in that last fortnight of the transfer window when we signed Rojo, ADM, Blind & Falcao. Four players signed in I think 10 days? But the narrative goes Ed haggles over prices and what not? It's utter rubbish.

LVG got his own scouting done and rolled out his own training facilities at the club. Remember all the new training equipment, cameras etc etc... He was supported and left to his own devices pretty much.

Jose, similarly got his own head of scouting in and told the world in his first public press conference "to forget the last 2 years". He got all 4 of his targets in the first summer window as you say, got 3 out of 4 in the next but then got Sanchez cause he said he needed more attacking threat / goals to try keep up with City.

In regards to Lukaku I think he wanted Morata myself but Real wouldn't entertain us due to "faxgate". Them's the breaks and he was still given a premier league proven forward in Lukaku making him one of the leagues most expensive transfers as well.

All told, Ed has left all the managers to their own devices by an large the last 6 years and to do as they see fit with the team, its identity and transfers.

Doesn't fit the tabloid narrative though our fan base falls for though.

Sterling Archer

At this moment, I have probably the same level of misgivings for Woodward as we've seen the majority of this forum have for Mourinho, hence me wanting him gone. All the details aside, it was that Jose's philosophy did not align with United that was at the core of the breakdown and dissonance with fans.' It's the same for me with Woodward. The way he has positioned himself and the club fly by my face as flagrant as Jose saying the club has a history of losing in the Champions League.

So given the last six years of seeing this build up to a spectacularly embarrassing public war between him and Jose - Jose is a culprit but everybody expected this the day he signed and knew to a dot what would provoke him. That and the way we sacked LVG, it really goes against the way I see the club. I'm used to a level of decorum that's been smashed to bits. I don't like seeing us appear like the Spanish clubs run by the likes of Perez for instance.

And for that, I'll detest Woodward without restraint. But I'm not close minded. If he shows that he has learned something from these last six years, understand that the fans want something very different from Disneyland and delivers that ..then I'll leave the door unlocked for redemption. The way he handles Ole and the rebuild will be telling.

But for now, that's it. No excuses will change me. Only his actions. Because I love Manchester United too damn much.

UncleBob

Thanks, nice to see some level heads in here and actually think of things objectively.

Ed didn't interfere with Moyes transfer dealings, he allowed him every possibility to sign players like Kroos & Cesc and when they didn't materialize we had to panic buy Fellaini! The same Fellaini Woodward didn't want to keep and give a new deal, the same Fellaini that was booted out the door the minute Jose was as well.

LVG signed some good and some bad players. Memphis and Blind whilst not setting the world alight for us are now showing their worth elsewhere for other clubs. It's a pity but goes to show its 2 more players he bought that were in fact very good.

Again Ed didn't interfere with LVG's transfer dealings, he held off until LVG arrived at the club post WC duty and our transfer activity those last 3-4 weeks approximately was insane. I remember the buzz around the club in that last fortnight of the transfer window when we signed Rojo, ADM, Blind & Falcao. Four players signed in I think 10 days? But the narrative goes Ed haggles over prices and what not? It's utter rubbish.

LVG got his own scouting done and rolled out his own training facilities at the club. Remember all the new training equipment, cameras etc etc... He was supported and left to his own devices pretty much.

Jose, similarly got his own head of scouting in and told the world in his first public press conference "to forget the last 2 years". He got all 4 of his targets in the first summer window as you say, got 3 out of 4 in the next but then got Sanchez cause he said he needed more attacking threat / goals to try keep up with City.

In regards to Lukaku I think he wanted Morata myself but Real wouldn't entertain us due to "faxgate". Them's the breaks and he was still given a premier league proven forward in Lukaku making him one of the leagues most expensive transfers as well.

All told, Ed has left all the managers to their own devices by an large the last 6 years and to do as they see fit with the team, its identity and transfers.

Doesn't fit the tabloid narrative though our fan base falls for though.
Fellaini wasn't a panic buy. Moyes signalled early on that he wanted Fellaini and Baines from Everton.

"You can ask my staff - the last thing I wanted was for Marouane Fellaini to be my first signing," Moyes told Radio 5 live.

"I knew, coming from my old club, the look was never going to be good.

"I've got to say we looked at Matic as well. He hadn't done well for Chelsea and had gone back to Benfica.

"He was a consideration. We probably did need a more defensive type player in hindsight.

"Someone who would sit and play, make passes from the middle of the park. But we didn't get a lot of the things we hoped for.

"And in the end we only ended up getting Marouane on deadline day or we would've got no one in that summer at all."

There's quite a lot of interviews regarding it and they all paint the same picture, Moyes wanting a bigger name as his first signing in order to send the right signals.

Woodward gets a large portion of the blame for continuing the pursuit of Fabregas as well, interviews with Moyes gives another impression:

Old Trafford boss David Moyes earlier said he may be forced to admit defeat. When asked whether he would give up on Fabregas were the deal to drag on, Moyes said: "I think a point does come but I think when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise. And I'll do that. "I'll hope that things can continue to try to move forward. “I remember him saying ‘if I don’t start the first game I’ll definitely be looking to join you’. And he started the first game at Barcelona."

To me it gives a very clear impression that Moyes wanted to go after targets we were unlikely to get, but he didn't have any alternatives.

Keefy18

At this moment, I have probably the same level of misgivings for Woodward as we've seen the majority of this forum have for Mourinho, hence me wanting him gone. All the details aside, it was that Jose's philosophy did not align with United that was at the core of the breakdown and dissonance with fans.' It's the same for me with Woodward. The way he has positioned himself and the club fly by my face as flagrant as Jose saying the club has a history of losing in the Champions League.

So given the last six years of seeing this build up to a spectacularly embarrassing public war between him and Jose - Jose is a culprit but everybody expected this the day he signed and knew to a dot what would provoke him. That and the way we sacked LVG, it really goes against the way I see the club.

And for that, I'll detest Woodward without restraint. But I'm close minded. If he shows that he has learned something from these last six years, understand that the fans want something very different from Disneyland and delivers that ..then I'll leave the door unlocked for redemption. The way he handles Ole and the rebuild will be telling.

But for now, that's it. Because I love Manchester United too damn much.
Firstly, how did he position himself? He didn't. He was appointed.

The same way Gill was and all those before him. He's no different to Gill, in that he has exactly the same role he had within the club and the same as Kenyon and Edwards before him. The club structure is still identical. Ironically, Gill & Woodward are both glorified accountants in the football world, one is praised ridiculously so for leeching off the greatness of SAF and the other roundly hated based off of tabloid rhetoric.

I agree Jose's ideals didn't match our own, but it was our fan base who sang Jose's name and bought half an halves and proudly waved them around whilst LVG was still manager, he bowed to supporter pressure it seems.

How LVG was sacked was down to Jose and his agent, they leaked the news the minute the cup final was over. Not much the club could do at that point is there? Deny it, then actually sack him? All they could do was roll with the punches.

We've seen all our managers be financially backed the very vast majority, we can't complain about spend as its been astronomical and transfer records repeatedly broken the last 6 years and also in terms of salaries.

If were to believe the current stories Ed has wanted a DoF even when Jose was there, but he blocked it. So we've only really been looking to fill the role for approx 6 months. Which is really nothing in terms of football and the size of the rebuild project post Fergie we have on our hands.

Keefy18

Fellaini wasn't a panic buy. Moyes signalled early on that he wanted Fellaini and Baines from Everton.

"You can ask my staff - the last thing I wanted was for Marouane Fellaini to be my first signing," Moyes told Radio 5 live.

"I knew, coming from my old club, the look was never going to be good.

"I've got to say we looked at Matic as well. He hadn't done well for Chelsea and had gone back to Benfica.

"He was a consideration. We probably did need a more defensive type player in hindsight.

"Someone who would sit and play, make passes from the middle of the park. But we didn't get a lot of the things we hoped for.

"And in the end we only ended up getting Marouane on deadline day or we would've got no one in that summer at all."

There's quite a lot of interviews regarding it and they all paint the same picture, Moyes wanting a bigger name as his first signing in order to send the right signals.

Woodward gets a large portion of the blame for continuing the pursuit of Fabregas as well, interviews with Moyes gives another impression:

Old Trafford boss David Moyes earlier said he may be forced to admit defeat. When asked whether he would give up on Fabregas were the deal to drag on, Moyes said: "I think a point does come but I think when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise. And I'll do that. "I'll hope that things can continue to try to move forward. “I remember him saying ‘if I don’t start the first game I’ll definitely be looking to join you’. And he started the first game at Barcelona."

To me it gives a very clear impression that Moyes wanted to go after targets we were unlikely to get, but he didn't have any alternatives.
I'm not saying he wasn't interested in Fellaini at all, but you yourself here admit that he wanted a bigger name player than Fellaini to "send the right signals".

When that didn't happen for Moyes he was left with a rush / panic to buy Fellaini on D-Day.

So how was he not a panic buy at the last minute? It resulted in us having to pay slightly over the odds cause Everton knew the state we were in at the negotiating table.

Sterling Archer

The same way Gill was and all those before him. He's no different to Gill, in that he has exactly the same role he had within the club and the same as Kenyon and Edwards before him. The club structure is still identical. Ironically, Gill & Woodward are both glorified accountants in the football world, one is praised ridiculously so for leeching off the greatness of SAF and the other roundly hated based off of tabloid rhetoric.

I agree Jose's ideals didn't match our own, but it was our fan base who sang Jose's name and bought half an halves and proudly waved them around whilst LVG was still manager, he bowed to supporter pressure it seems.

How LVG was sacked was down to Jose and his agent, they leaked the news the minute the cup final was over. Not much the club could do at that point is there? Deny it, then actually sack him? All they could do was roll with the punches.

We've seen all our managers be financially backed the very vast majority, we can't complain about spend as its been astronomical and transfer records repeatedly broken the last 6 years and also in terms of salaries.

If were to believe the current stories Ed has wanted a DoF even when Jose was there, but he blocked it. So we've only really been looking to fill the role for approx 6 months. Which is really nothing in terms of football and the size of the rebuild project post Fergie we have on our hands.
That's not what I meant by positioned. You need to consider it along with the club in that phrase for the meaning.

Also, why are you even replying with your bedtime story? I literally said, YOU will prove or change nothing. Only Ed's actions will.

UncleBob

I'm not saying he wasn't interested in Fellaini at all, but you yourself here admit that he wanted a bigger name player than Fellaini to "send the right signals".

When that didn't happen for Moyes he was left with a rush / panic to buy Fellaini on D-Day.

So how was he not a panic buy at the last minute? It resulted in us having to pay slightly over the odds cause Everton knew the state we were in at the negotiating table.
He was lined up all summer, so i don't really agree that there was all that much of a panic to it.

UncleBob

There's not much point in trying to argue with Sterling, he generally just makes up shit. His mind is made up and he's not going to change his opinion or stop lying

Keefy18

He was lined up all summer, so i don't really agree that there was all that much of a panic to it.
He wasn't lined up all summer though and you've said as much above. Moyes very publicly states that he wanted Kroos (who apparently agreed to sign) and Cesc.

Put it this way, the fabled list we hear about was probably Kroos, Cesc and if all else fails...Fellaini.

The other 2 failed and at the last minute he panicked and said get Fellaini, leaving us in a bad position when negotiating the deal.

Keefy18

That's not what I meant by positioned. You need to consider it along with the club in that phrase for the meaning.

Also, why are you even replying with your bedtime story? I literally said, YOU will prove or change nothing. Only Ed's actions will.
It's funny you say I can prove nothing, well neither can you with your sentiments but your adamant they are correct.

Sterling Archer

It's funny you say I can prove nothing, well neither can you with your sentiments but your adamant they are correct.
Nope. I've said very very clearly in an earlier post that it's my opinion.

You are debating my opinion on the matter. And what I'm saying you will not change is my opinion. Only Ed's actions will.

Keefy18

Nope. I've said very very clearly in an earlier post that it's my opinion.

You are debating my opinion on the matter. And what I'm saying you will not change is my opinion. Only Ed's actions will.
And do tell what actions must Ed take to win you over? Out of curiosity.....

Johan07

This is very true, and you will be stretching far to find another CEO for a top club in the PL that is not a "glorified accountant". A CEO for a club/company as United should and has to have a financial and corporate background. We are talking a multinational company listed on the NYSEC here.
No other CEO for the other top six clubs in the PL has any form of football background. As Gill did not either.
Why? Because it is not needed for that position. As it was not needed for Woodward when he was commercial director.
I challenge posters on this thread to name the CEO of Liverpool or Arsenal for example. Or you can google them and "background" and you will find people estranged from the "footballing world".
Ferran Soriano chaired fecking Spanair before he joined City. Marina Granovskaia comes from the oil business of Abramovich.
But for some reason its only Woodward of the top-clubs CEOs that is the culprite for everything that happens at United football-wise. Its something that is stirred up and fueled by ABU-media and we as fans should really do better to see through this even if one is fueled by hatred of the Glazers.

Keefy18

This is very true, and you will be stretching far to find another CEO for a top club in the PL that is not a "glorified accountant". A CEO for a club/company as United should and has to have a financial and corporate background. We are talking a multinational company listed on the NYSEC here.
No other CEO for the other top six clubs in the PL has any form of football background. As Gill did not either.
Why? Because it is not needed for that position. As it was not needed for Woodward when he was commercial director.
I challenge posters on this thread to name the CEO of Liverpool or Arsenal for example. Or you can google them and "background" and you will find people estranged from the "footballing world".
Ferran Soriano chaired fecking Spanair before he joined City. Marina Granovskaia comes from the oil business of Abramovich.
But for some reason its only Woodward of the top-clubs CEOs that is the culprite for everything that happens at United football-wise. Its something that is stirred up and fueled by ABU-media and we as fans should really do better to see through this even if one is fueled by hatred of the Glazers.

The closest to it is Peter Moore (Liverpool) who I believed played semi pro for a few years but he too like Woodward has majored in Business Management.
Arsenal's CEO is CFA qualified.
Soriano as you say, Masters in Business.
Levy at Spurs is qualified in Economics and Land economy ffs!
Laurence at Chelsea I believe doesn't even hold a relevant educational qualification! He's made it to where he is solely on experience and hard work it seems.

We're arguably the only club currently blaming the CEO for on field issues, its mental.

UncleBob

He wasn't lined up all summer though and you've said as much above. Moyes very publicly states that he wanted Kroos (who apparently agreed to sign) and Cesc.

Put it this way, the fabled list we hear about was probably Kroos, Cesc and if all else fails...Fellaini.

The other 2 failed and at the last minute he panicked and said get Fellaini, leaving us in a bad position when negotiating the deal.
You must be misunderstanding the quotes then, he's maintained that he always wanted to bring in Fellaini, just not as his first signing as it would send the wrong signals. We were always going to for him, so there was no panic about it. We had already approached Everton earlier on, even tried a stupid 2 for 1 deal for him and Baines

Ref Kroos, Moyes claims he was lined up for next season and that he had an agreement with Kroos and his agent.

The summer we're talking about, Moyes wanted Bale, Fabregas, Baines and Fellaini.

The biggest issues that summer was that Moyes didn't know when he was being taken advantage of. He sounds extremely naive when he's talking about Bale, Fabregas and Kroos. He thought he could convince Bale over the phone to join us instead of Real Madrid, which was obviously worth a try, but he didn't accept defeat until he had officially signed for Madrid.

Keefy18

You must be misunderstanding the quotes then, he's maintained that he always wanted to bring in Fellaini, just not as his first signing as it would send the wrong signals. We were always going to for him, so there was no panic about it.

Ref Kroos, Moyes claims he was lined up for next season and that he had an agreement with Kroos and his agent.

The summer we're talking about, Moyes wanted Bale, Fabregas, Baines and Fellaini.

The biggest issues that summer was that Moyes didn't know when he was being taken advantage of. He sounds extremely naive when he's talking about Bale, Fabregas and Kroos. He thought he could convince Bale over the phone to join us instead of Real Madrid, which was obviously worth a try, but he didn't accept defeat until he had officially signed for Madrid.
Yes, Bale was another and he was hell bent on joining Real and rightly so... United with Moyes or Real and whomever is on the managerial merry go round.... Real was by far the more obvious choice. Yet we wasted so much time on it again.

Sterling Archer

And do tell what actions must Ed take to win you over? Out of curiosity.....
That's a fair question. To be honest, as I mentioned to you specifically I'm pretty far gone. But here is a quick list of what would make think to start to change my opinion:

- stop speaking publicly about United's spending power in the transfer market

- to not hear anymore talk or boasting in shareholder calls about the number of likes on social media his signings have gotten

- if Ole is really unsuccessful within a couple seasons and at the point where he really needs to be replaced per the consensus of all that have a say or even just opinion, then I'd want to see Ed publicly apologise for hiring Ole so soon after saying there would be a long, thorough process for the next manager. I'd then want an actually thoughtful and thorough vetting of the next candidate.

- see United be the world richest club again for consecutive years, having dropped to third behind Madrid and Barca. Considering how much money Premier League draws in versus La Liga, being anything but first is failure in my eyes.

And that's just to begin thinking about forgiveness. Not actually changing my opinion.