Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

ArjenIsM3

He gets plenty of stick, but can't have a dinosaur like Van Gaal sticking the boot in!
Yeah just because LvG is old and couldn't transform a club that's rotten to the bone into a title winner he's obviously in no position to judge a CEO he's worked with after working at successful clubs for decades.

Keefy18

Between sales of De Gea, Pogba and Lukaku, United should get enough money to reinvest wisely and build well for the future. Unfortunately I have zero confidence in this clown doing it right.
Up to the manager and his scouting team to find suitable replacements. It isn't the CEO's job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah just because LvG is old and couldn't transform a club that's rotten to the bone into a title winner he's obviously in no position to judge a CEO he's worked with after working at successful clubs for decades.
You're getting it.:smirk:

Keefy18

Says anyone that knows anything about the club. Woodward was replaced as commercial director by Richard Arnold 5 years ago. He has not negotiated one noodle deal since then Not his responsibility anymore. As to the footballing side that is such a myth. We have a manager and a head of corporate development in Matt Judge that works with the manager and negotiates contracts etc. Woodward had that negotiating role for like 9 months just after his appointment as CEO while they were looking for a head of corporate development, a position that was then offered to Judge. There is no evidence at all that Woodward has been anywhere near the sporting side of things anymore if you dont include tabloid ABU-media. Do you even know what a CEO does?
Great response btw.

Johan stop that now, far too much common sense here. There's no place for this at all among the caftards!!

dev1l

It s not a question of Van Gaal doing Woodward s job but I prefer someone who knows and cares about football in that position rather than an investment banker who sees the club as. nothing more than a profit making machine.
Under the current circumstances, the club can continue to make profits for years to come without winning anything and Woody s job will be safe. And yes this is a plausible scenario,you don t need cups to make profits in football.

dev1l

BTW saying that Woodward is not involved in football is irrelevant. Ultimately he takes the big decisions at the club and profits come before football.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It s not a question of Van Gaal doing Woodward s job but I prefer someone who knows and cares about football in that position rather than an investment banker who sees the club as. nothing more than a profit making machine.
Under the current circumstances, the club can continue to make profits for years to come without winning anything and Woody s job will be safe. And yes this is a plausible scenario,you don t need cups to make profits in football.
But who said that he doesn't know or care about football? Most football CEOs aren't from football and are generally money men or coming from very different fields.

dev1l

But who said that he doesn't know or care about football? Most football CEOs aren't from football and are generally money men or coming from very different fields.
The results since he took over..

Reddy Rederson

Up to the manager and his scouting team to find suitable replacements. It isn't the CEO's job.
The scouting team belongs to the club, not the manager. Our scouting network was pish. It has only now been addressed in the past year or so. It will still take time to start producing. Scouting is not the managers job, that’s the job of scouting team. The scouting team is overseen by the ceo. No matter what it is, it’s on woody. He’s appointed three failed managers in a row. If Jose doesntnget to fix his mistakes, why does woody get allowed to continually make more?

Abhinav

It doesn’t matter if Woodward is directly involved in the football decisions. As the Chief Executive, has the ultimate responsibility of all the club’s operations, including the football ones. The fact that he has not been able to appoint the right people to make the right footballing decisions is ultimately his failure, especially as its not 1-2 years of failure that we are talking about but sustained footballing failure. We are a business but also a football club and our long term financial performance will be linked to our on-field performance. Ultimately, under his leadership Man United as a football club is on a downwards trajectory. If we had owners who were in it for the long run rather than looking to improve valuations to sell the club at a profit, Ed Woodward would not be in his job. However, firing your chief executive doesn’t necessarily highlight stability and can hurt short term valuations.

Revaulx

Indeed. The crowd-pleasing, sentimental decisions that have characterised his time in charge are much more those of a fan than a ruthless dispassionate money man.

Johan07

The scouting team belongs to the club, not the manager. Our scouting network was pish. It has only now been addressed in the past year or so. It will still take time to start producing. Scouting is not the managers job, that’s the job of scouting team. The scouting team is overseen by the ceo. No matter what it is, it’s on woody. He’s appointed three failed managers in a row. If Jose doesntnget to fix his mistakes, why does woody get allowed to continually make more?
Because Mourinho was employed by the club to execute a job and do it well: To manage and make our football team successful.
Woodward is appointed by the Glazers and his main accountibility is not towards the club and absoultely not the fans, its against the owners of the club. Which since we got listed on the NYSEC is not just the Glazers btw. Woodward has a legal responsibility towards what is a rather large ownership collective today.
If you dont see the difference between Woodward´s position at the club and our employees you are not just a little bit naive. All the major clubs CEO´s are the right hand men of respective owner. It is how it has to be.Anything else would be a catastrophy.
When I read some posts in here I get the impression that people think that "we -the fans" somehow should push for appointing an independent CEO from the owners. Like that is even possible or even a good idea to begin with. The most important fact when it comes to Woodward is that he has the complete faith of the Glazers and the other way around.
People here shouting for his head need to realize that its not ours to chop off and the mere notion that it is or should be is laughable.

Keefy18

It's been poor for quite some time I agree, but that is also up to the manager. Fergie had his own scouts and his top scout he trusted more than any other? His brother. If his brother said sign him up, he always did.

I believe LVG brought in his own scout and left with him, similarly Jose brought in Ribalta who quit 1 year in for a new role at Zenit.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...r-news/man-utd-ribalta-transfer-news-14943526

As CEO he hires the manager and the manager gets to pick his backroom staff. Moyes did, LVG did, Jose did and so now too has Ole. So to say this is on Ed is utter nonsense.

His biggest mistakes for me so far are only 2. First being changing LVG to Jose. If he had to be rid of LVG, christ...he could of picked someone more suitable surely? Going from LVG to Jose was for me just insanity. It was a complete 180 and going from a focus on youth to focus on "galactico's" and instant success with no long term plan, but oddly... Ed gets tarred with supposedly over ruling managers and wanting "Galacticos".

Secondly, for not modernizing the club sooner. A DoF has of course been rumored for approx 6 months now. I'm frustrated there hasn't been news yet but I know its a vital role and one that must be selected correctly.

Having seen so many changes with managers and back room staff in recent years then it would make sense he takes his time over this decision more than any other.

Reddy Rederson

Because Mourinho was employed by the club to execute a job and do it well: To manage and make our football team successful.
Woodward is appointed by the Glazers and his main accountibility is not towards the club and absoultely not the fans, its against the owners of the club. Which since we got listed on the NYSEC is not just the Glazers btw. Woodward has a legal responsibility towards what is a rather large ownership collective today.
If you dont see the difference between Woodward´s position at the club and our employees you are not just a little bit naive. All the major clubs CEO´s are the right hand men of respective owner. It is how it has to be.Anything else would be a catastrophy.
When I read some posts in here I get the impression that people think that "we -the fans" somehow should push for appointing an independent CEO from the owners. Like that is even possible or even a good idea to begin with. The most important fact when it comes to Woodward is that he has the complete faith of the Glazers and the other way around.
People here shouting for his head need to realize that its not ours to chop off and the mere notion that it is or should be is laughable.
So, he gets to choose the wrong man to lead the club again and again without consequence? He gets to over see the contracts and wages that are horribly inflated and never be quizzed on it? And all because....the lady loves milk tray? I assume that’s the reason, since everything else you said was either bullshit or ad hominem. He picks the managers. He over sees the club. He is an employee of the club. He has failed continuously for SEVEN years at the football matters of the club. The fact the club is making profit has next to feck all to do with him. He’s selling Manchester United ffs. The way people act you’d think he was selling ice to eskimos instead of what he’s actually doing which is selling crack to crack addicts. The many, many, many years of this historic clubs rich history are why we are successful. A fecking monkey with with a drum set could sell this club to advertisers.

Tl;dr feck Ed Woodward.

Johan07

If he is not building or implementing a strategy for success at the club then he is not doing his job. This defence of him is ridiculous. The buck stops with him and the Glazers.
Great. So how do you propose "we" get rid of him. Or the Glazers. Or you probably mean both since they kinda are a package deal. Any great idea?
Newsflash: We cant. And I dont want to either. You should be very careful what you ask for: this notion of a Messiah buying the club just out of the love of it, clearing it of debt and pumping in his own money in the club is a unicorn.
There are two realistic options if the Glazers decide to sell: a) another leveraged takeover. A new owner could easily saddle United with new enormous debt compared to now, b) an Arab or Chinese owner with reasons for their purchase of the club that I at least would sincerely object to.
Moan of you want, but without a serious alternative to what we have today its just that: moaning.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
LVG has his own agenda but who’s going to argue with his ‘zero understanding of football’ assessment of Woodward? Not me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
How many think Falcao and De Maria were more marketing ideas than who van Gaal wanted?
Could have been both.

As in, they were marketable and Woodward wanted them - but LVG ultimately sanctioned the deals.

Again, there is no evidence that Woodward has brought in anyone the manager didn't want.

LVG doesn't like Woodward these days. And he's - well - LVG. If he had players forced on him by some meddling banker type, he would've said so by now. He's been perfectly open in his criticism of Woodward in other respects, but never said anything about this.

Johan07

LVG has his own agenda but who’s going to argue with his ‘zero understanding of football’ assessment of Woodward? Not me.
I dont think Woodward would argue that point either. As pointed out many times in this thread its pretty much irrelevant for a CEO to have any "understanding of football". All of the big 6´s CEO´s in the PL are money men with financial backgroundss. So was David Gill who had a pretty similar CV to Woodward. For some reason its just Woodward that is being called out for something that he does not have, does not need to have or has never claimed to have. Its weird.

Reddy Rederson

How many think Falcao and De Maria were more marketing ideas than who van Gaal wanted?
The fact LVG tried to force di Maria into a role he wasn’t suited for, and never had been, I’m going to go with marketing. I find it odd that lvg would buy a flair player to use in a rigid squad role.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are two realistic options if the Glazers decide to sell: a) another leveraged takeover. A new owner could easily saddle United with new enormous debt compared to now, b) an Arab or Chinese owner with reasons for their purchase of the club that I at least would sincerely object to.
Agreed.

But this doesn't mean that Woodward can't be criticized for presiding over the post-SAF years. He's ultimately responsible for hiring managers whose styles/methods/preferences clashed radically with their predecessors - and generally for what has been a shocking money spent/results ratio.

Absolving Woodward from blame on the football side (because his actual job is to look after the pecuniary interests of the owners/shareholders) borders on the absurd, because there are no other figures at United who can be held responsible. So, either we conclude that United isn't run as a football club anymore (he just hires whoever's available and lets them get on with it until he sacks them for whatever reason), or we conclude that as the one who signs the cheques he is responsible for the football and the results we've witnessed under, to date, four different managers.

dev1l

The fact LVG tried to force di Maria into a role he wasn’t suited for, and never had been, I’m going to go with marketing. I find it odd that lvg would buy a flair player to use in a rigid squad role.
LVG wasn't suited to us. He is suited to.a longer term project involving lots of promising younger players who are not yet stars.

Revaulx

Agreed.

But this doesn't mean that Woodward can't be criticized for presiding over the post-SAF years. He's ultimately responsible for hiring managers whose styles/methods/preferences clashed radically with their predecessors - and generally for what has been a shocking money spent/results ratio.

Absolving Woodward from blame on the football side (because his actual job is to look after the pecuniary interests of the owners/shareholders) borders on the absurd, because there are no other figures at United who can be held responsible. So, either we conclude that United isn't run as a football club anymore (he just hires whoever's available and lets them get on with it until he sacks them for whatever reason), or we conclude that as the one who signs the cheques he is responsible for the football and the results we've witnessed under, to date, four different managers.
Quite.

I’m all for rubbishing the absurd idea that he’s been picking the signings, but that doesn’t get him off the hook for the general malaise that has enveloped United’s football since he was appointed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just randomly thought about the fact that this wanker exists and it made me irrationally angry.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Our owners are the Glazers and the guy they put in charge is great at making money for them, even though he knows Jack Shit about football he is the guy who is running the club and that is why we are currently a shit run club. They are the facts. He throws faces in the stands to make it look as if he cares when we lose, but truth be told he does not give a shit about winning trophies he just wants sales, for feck sake he has even said it.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
What’s Eddy doing?! Less than a month until pre season training !
Most likely picking his nose and eating it. That damn idiot needs moving. Every window he has been involved in has been a disaster, yet he is still there? He will make a disaster of this one and still will not be sacked and will be there for future disasters

Last edited: