Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
2 genuine questions -

1. Why does Woodward go on holiday, every year, at the time when he should be at his absolute busiest...?

2. Why do fans accept this every year?

He isn't a manager, or a player, he isn't needed at matches - he could go on holiday literally any other month in the season.
The arsehole should go on permanent holiday.

To be fair, I certainly share some of the, in my humble opinion, valid concerns about Woodward and the Glazer’s ownership. However, the media narrative being spun about the haplessness of the club is just getting dusted off, rinsed, and repeated every single bloody summer to the point of incredulity. By the way, this idea of United being completely clueless and completely inept in the transfer market pre-dates the Glazers and stretches well back into the golden days under Gill and SAF. Why? Because getting arguably the world’s largest fan base all wound up sells papers, gets clicks, etc.

It gets magnified in the Caf to epic proportions. Made up crap and fantastic stories from the media get interwoven into bat s*** crazy conspiracy theories resulting in 16 year olds wading into any thread quoting fictitious prices and dream transfer windows is bloody tiresome at times.

I’m old, though. Went to a wedding last night. Universally agreed, we got old.

Conspiracy theories may now commence. Resume normal service, lads.
Should be much more love for this post but then again, it’s level headed and not negative so it got one reply. :rolleyes:

The negative media frenzy around United last summer was absolutely disgusting, but our “fans” lap it up. I thought it was an anti Mourinho thing from the press but this Summer has proven it’s simply the future unless we are successful, negative United stories sell papers, generate clicks and get the online fan base foaming at the mouth.

It’s an absolute dream for the press.

Last edited:

Keefy18

2 genuine questions -

1. Why does Woodward go on holiday, every year, at the time when he should be at his absolute busiest...?

He isn't a manager, or a player, he isn't needed at matches - he could go on holiday literally any other month in the season.
Any actual evidence of this?

I've seen a single article...from the fecking sun!

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
Not saying he’s faultless, but I’m sure it’s a hard job what he’s doing. The second clubs find out we’re interested in a player - prices sky rocket. Wan Bissaka is 100% not worth the current fee being branded about - he’s had one good season. I want him, don’t get me wrong - but you can’t fault Woody for not simply bowing down to Palace’s wishes from the odd and settle on £60million for a player.
Who knows how much money United are able to spend this summer.

As I said - I’d rather him not be in charge of our transfers period - but people will complain about him playing hard ball, but people will equally complain if we see us making signings for an extortionate price. It sets a bad precedent if we just splash cash on all players - eventually us looking at signing a league 2 talent will be £10million minimum.
He is not interested in the club being a success on the pitch, he is employed by the Glazers to make them money. What do you think of the fact that Manchester United as a football club are being denied access to their own funds by the current owners. These are the real facts. United are not going to win anything under the current owners for the simple reason that they have no interest in winning trophies. They just want profit and cash, even Ed Woodward has admitted it by saying that selling shirts is more important than winning trophies.

Keefy18

He is not interested in the club being a success on the pitch, he is employed by the Glazers to make them money. What do you think of the fact that Manchester United as a football club are being denied access to their own funds by the current owners. These are the real facts. United are not going to win anything under the current owners for the simple reason that they have no interest in winning trophies. They just want profit and cash, even Ed Woodward has admitted it by saying that selling shirts is more important than winning trophies.
:lol::lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
2 genuine questions -

I don't accept his behaviour. I've been calling him out all year.
The guy got a free pass in his first year, when we bought Fellaini for above his release clause, because he was new.
He is arguably one of the worst DoF's in World football, today. He is consistently bad at his job.

Any actual evidence of this?

I've seen a single article...from the fecking sun!
I think Jose mentioned this during last Summer's transfer window.
He was asked if we were buying X, Y, Z player and if he was in close touch with Woodie. He said "no" and that he was on holiday.
I don't actually think Woodie was on holiday, but he was laying low during the transfer window so that questions were not asked as to why we weren't buying players. I expect the same to happen this Summer, as he tries to save money, to fill the pockets of his bosses.

The arsehole should go on permanent holiday.
I've been saying this for a while, now.
He fecks up in the transfer market and when the manager fails because the squad is shit, the manager gets fired.
Woodie basically hides behind the manager and uses him as a shield.
While Woodie is at the helm, we won't be challenging for the title, which is why I am desperate for him to be gone.

Keefy18

He was asked if we were buying X, Y, Z player and if he was in close touch with Woodie. He said "no" and that he was on holiday.
I don't actually think Woodie was on holiday, but he was laying low during the transfer window so that questions were not asked as to why we weren't buying players. I expect the same to happen this Summer, as he tries to save money, to fill the pockets of his bosses.
You mean the same Jose who was in Russia on holidays and doing punditry for Russian TV?

Honestly no idea weather he was or wasn't myself, just a genuine question that you at least gave an answer to unlike some other caftards on here.

Don't think I've seen a single picture or genuine evidence of Woodward on holiday at all since he was CEO myself.

Fridge chutney

Ed is about to sign the hottest right back in the league in AWB, he signed James, re-signed Mata, and has a lot more exciting stuff in store for us this summer.

Trust in Edward and we will be pleasantly surprised :)

Bill Beaumont

Ed is about to sign the hottest right back in the league in AWB, he signed James, re-signed Mata, and has a lot more exciting stuff in store for us this summer.

Trust in Edward and we will be pleasantly surprised :)
The hottest right back in the league?
Is this serious

sp_107

In modern era, many clubs can afford a 50M player, so its better to do the AWB deal or just move on rather delaying this. Glad no one else is serious about AWB so far otherwise this option would have gone by this time.

I think same happening with other targets too, not sure what Ed is trying to prove here?

Just making bids to get attention/publicity so fans will tolerate him but offering low so the deals wont go through?

Earning so much money but not being spend on developing Stadium (look at City/Spurs/Arsenal grounds) and now not even on players when we needed the most to get out of last few yeas misery...This board is really testing fans patience.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Just making bids to get attention/publicity so fans will tolerate him but offering low so the deals wont go through?

Earning so much money but not being spend on developing Stadium (look at City/Spurs/Arsenal grounds) and now not even on players when we needed the most to get out of last few yeas misery...This board is really testing fans patience.
Absolutely bang on with both points.

Fridge chutney

In modern era, many clubs can afford a 50M player, so its better to do the AWB deal or just move on rather delaying this. Glad no one else is serious about AWB so far otherwise this option would have gone by this time.

I think same happening with other targets too, not sure what Ed is trying to prove here?

I agree with much of this but 2 counter points

1) other clubs may be interested but it depends on the will of the player, and we don't know who else has shown interest in AWB or where his preferred destination is. Still, the delay is tedious from our perspective

2) I don't think Woodward cares about the fans. He isn't trying to appease them. I think he cares more about the board and shareholders. Most of his comments seem directed at satisfying them. Which makes sense from a CEO's POV.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I was really, really excited for this summer despite the lack of CL. I genuinely thought that we had hit a new low for us and that the board realised that massive change needs to happen.

Still plenty of time left in the window but given how slow we’ve been to get stuff over the line - it really is a grim sight ahead of next season.

The lads are back in training in ~10 days and we’ve made one new signing. We have so, so much ground to make up on top 4 let alone top 2 or challenging for the title.

I’m normally an optimistic guy, but I have serious worries for this season if our transfer activity doesn’t pick up soon.

Who knows - maybe we’re waiting on a chain reaction of events to occur. Other clubs trying to find replacements before selling us their players. That’s the optimist in me coming through again.

sp_107

I was really, really excited for this summer despite the lack of CL. I genuinely thought that we had hit a new low for us and that the board realised that massive change needs to happen.

Still plenty of time left in the window but given how slow we’ve been to get stuff over the line - it really is a grim sight ahead of next season.

The lads are back in training in ~10 days and we’ve made one new signing. We have so, so much ground to make up on top 4 let alone top 2 or challenging for the title.

I’m normally an optimistic guy, but I have serious worries for this season if our transfer activity doesn’t pick up soon.

Who knows - maybe we’re waiting on a chain reaction of events to occur. Other clubs trying to find replacements before selling us their players. That’s the optimist in me coming through again.
Your optimism is just like our Clubs optimism at the moment. you are not even confident about being optimistic.

Foxbatt

He may still sign Fellaini from some Chinese club. I hate him now. I hate him more than I hate Moyes.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Regardless of how one feels about Ed in general, he won't be working personally on landing players - and then, regardless of how the deals are working out, he just fecks off on holiday, putting everything on hold while sipping cocktails at the beach.

He's not that incompetent. And nobody knows the exact extent to which he's involved directly in our transfer business anyway.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Jesus wept. Woodward is dog shit and the Glazers certainly not the best owners but, oh my, you’ve had a bit of a meltdown.

RoadTrip

I don't accept his behaviour. I've been calling him out all year.
The guy got a free pass in his first year, when we bought Fellaini for above his release clause, because he was new.
He is arguably one of the worst DoF's in World football, today. He is consistently bad at his job.

I've been saying this for a while, now.
He fecks up in the transfer market and when the manager fails because the squad is shit, the manager gets fired.
Woodie basically hides behind the manager and uses him as a shield.
While Woodie is at the helm, we won't be challenging for the title, which is why I am desperate for him to be gone.
Your use of commas is tedious :lol:

But on a more serious note, the issue isn’t Woodward’s employment at the club in its entirety. The issue is his role at the club.

I pin a lot of the things that are wrong on Woodward because as CEO he has a responsibility to ensure the right people are in the right place. But it’s the responsibility of the board and shareholders (owners) to hold the CEO to account and this is the primary area IMO where the Glazers have been grossly negligent.

Woodward as a CEO isn’t the end of the world - he’s good when it comes to the business side of things. But he is hopeless at the football side. And this is where, as CEO, he has to recognise that and relinquish control and delegate and, if he is unable to do that, it is the shareholders job to force it by exercising good governance and accountability.

This is why we have a cycle of shit right now. No governance, challenge and accountability from the top. And a CEO who isn’t willing to see his flaws at the management level. And ultimately, a poorly run club as the impact of that trickles down.

RoadTrip

I lost faith in this a while back unfortunately. If the board and club were ever serious about fixing our situation, th very first step would have been changing the way the football operations work. That hasn’t happened. So even if we had gone out and signed 10 players and spent £300m, the fundamental issues would still have been unresolved. Importantly and sadly, it is too late for the major things to be fixed now. So another summer has gone by, wasted.

Raw

I lost faith in this a while back unfortunately. If the board and club were ever serious about fixing our situation, th very first step would have been changing the way the football operations work. That hasn’t happened. So even if we had gone out and signed 10 players and spent £300m, the fundamental issues would still have been unresolved. Importantly and sadly, it is too late for the major things to be fixed now. So another summer has gone by, wasted.
Seriously, it's maddening. This should have been a HUGE summer for the club to fix all that's rotten with the club, because if we don't we're very likely doing a Liverpool. There was so much talk of a DoF, pretty sure even Ole mentioned something about it? Yet here we are, feck all. It feels like Ed's just going to not do anything about it and hope we'll all forget about it when we (finally) sign another player. I sure hope the fans at OT show we didn't forget it.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
How was he allowed to be on holiday this time of the year then? Shouldn't he have been available every day?

Crustanoid

Is he still on holiday now?

I guess he tied up all the majorly important stuff like building social media following and sponsorships and he’s allowed to chill now.

No worries about the mundane tedious and pointless tasks like installing a DoF and restructuring staff, improving team, facilities etc. He’ll be allowed to leave that I guess until he had his well deserved break

Giggsyking

what was the thing he said about football dont affect the club financially? just look how the market fluctuate with our results ffs.

Based Adnan

Apparently he was offered the chance to hire Paratici (the guy doing an absolute madness at Juve right now) last year as DoF and declined.

Fer

How much can we get for "the deadwood"?

Maybe we should start from there, selling the players that barely play.

Besides Pogba and Lukaku, which players can we sell this summer?

Raw

How much can we get for "the deadwood"?

Maybe we should start from there, selling the players that barely play.

Besides Pogba and Lukaku, which players can we sell this summer?
Darmian and Rojo seem to be the ones that I can genuinely see leave. Probably about £10-15m each.

There are others like Pereira, TFM and Jones that I think should leave but I think we'll be keeping them. There's also Sanchez but I can't see anyone stupid enough to take him.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Darmian and Rojo seem to be the ones that I can genuinely see leave. Probably about £10-15m each.

There are others like Pereira, TFM and Jones that I think should leave but I think we'll be keeping them. There's also Sanchez but I can't see anyone stupid enough to take him.

That was us.

el3mel

The first month of the summer market is ending in a week and we only signed 1 player from Swansea while dragging on AWB deal.

After that we'll have only 1 month and a week remaining of the summer market to deal with all the remaining transfers and players wanting to leave while the team is on pre season.

Great job so far.

AllezLesDiables

Transfers are a bit misleading in that the deals that get done at the beginning of the window were already done in principal prior to the window opening.

As for negotiation there are tons of tactics and styles. Typically the style that causes the most issues is the penny wise pound foolish negotiator who refuses to budge and is so focused on saving that extra 0.01% that they fail to understand that implied costs far outweigh the savings.

No idea if this the negotiation methodology for United but it does seem that the AWB deal is taking a long time for a deal that has limited options in terms of payment. It appears that the issue is a question of how much up front money versus deferred payment. It could also be that the agent add-ons are delaying the deal.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
The first month of the summer market is ending in a week and we only signed 1 player from Swansea while dragging on AWB deal.

After that we'll have only 1 month and a week remaining of the summer market to deal with all the remaining transfers and players wanting to leave while the team is on pre season.

Great job so far.
Jesus wept. Woodward is dog shit and the Glazers certainly not the best owners but, oh my, you’ve had a bit of a meltdown.
I did have a meltdown yes, I want to see United back where they belong, and not dragging their heels like some sort of poor mans West Ham. United Are the best supported club on the Planet and could not even manage to qualify for the Champions League. The manager is not being backed, and Solskjaer will not be fully backed in this transfer window either. Wait until the start of the season and all should be clear to even the most ardent Woodward supporter.