Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The issue with ED being useless at bringing quality players is that the good ones we already have will be hard to tie down and keep them at OT.
If Paul leaves and DDG doesn't extend next summer we're back to Moyes years.
Ed needs to show some fecking balls for once and throw some money around.
Ed has no fecking idea what he is doing, and is only in a job because he resurrected an abysmal Glazer deal.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Wow, just wow... :lol:

Pulling out from the crucial deal days before end of the window, when even Juve pushing for Lukaku. It's just neverending drama, isn't it ? Can't have one normal summer window when we just sign players like every other club and prepare with them for upcoming season.

Amazing how we can pay 80m for Maguire, while still having 6 other CB's, but not want player on CL level which Lukaku to Juve deal can cover almost full cost. Let's just put all pressure on Greenwood and expect him to make an immediate impact in his teenage years.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
What has Woodward achieved this window? A whole transfer window negotiating a lower price with Leicester only to finally pay what they originally asked for even if the player wanted to join us from the start, a championship player and Wan Bissaka.

Another wasted transfer window securing a 7th season of not being competitive.

GimmeThatBall_M8_NL

No plan at all with this man.
Signs old players like Sanchez that don't even wanna be here.
Did not get rid of the dead wood.
We haven't had a real RW since Valencia.
We have 1 real CDM called Matic. Yes the Serbian man that runs like he broke both his legs.
Buys players for 10/20million+ for what they are worth.

Seriously who the fk thought that this genius should rule the football side of United? Just unbelievable that this clown pulls out of a deal just a few days from now. We have a player (Lukaku) that is not satisfied here. This club is so badly run its just not fun anymore.

If we do not get Top 4 next season they gonna blame it on Ole not on this man. And the beauty of it all? This clown will keep his job.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Just don't panic and make another stupid move on the last day of the window for the sake of bringing someone.

Try to buy an actual midfielder (something that should have been a priority from the start) in these few days. If we can't do it, let's go with what we have.

Last edited:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Just don't panic and make another stupid move on the last day of the window just for the sake of bringing someone.

Try to buy an actual midfielder (something that should have been a priority from the start) in these few days. If we can't do it, let's go with what we have.
And why weren't we doing that from around April?

Patrick08

He thinks he could do a better job than a sporting director ? Moron

If ole only wants committed players and mata matic Lingard mctominay and peirera and a bunch of Youngers are only the ones who are committed will we go into a season carrying them only?

Letting the rebuild in the hands of another inexperienced manager and himself and failing pretty much by the looks of it . Wrekless idiot.

Tiber

I have no issues with his actions re. Dybala.

Saw an opportunity to pick up a potential star for a modest outlay. Opened talks, realised it wouldnt work out unless we offered ridiculous money (and even then commitment to the cause would be in question) and then pulled the plug at an appropriate time.

No criticism from me

Castia

Wonder what it will take for him to quit/get fired?

The money deals he put in place we're a long time ago, the job he's done since taking over Gill has been nothing short of a disaster. He's simply not qualified to make footballing decisions.

Castia

Saw an opportunity to pick up a potential star for a modest outlay. Opened talks, realised it wouldnt work out unless we offered ridiculous money (and even then commitment to the cause would be in question) and then pulled the plug at an appropriate time.

No criticism from me

The fact that we started talking with Dybala less than 2 weeks before the window shut and spent a week negotiating is crazy, they've had months, you could argue even going back to Dec/January when Ole was given the job to identify targets.

Now here we are 4 days before the window shuts with no midfield, no right winger and the possibility of not having a striker on the books for the first game of the season. It's been yet another shit show. fecking amateurs.

Add the news we are signing Maguire for £80m....you know the same guy Jose wanted 12 months ago and was available for £70m at the time. What a joke.

Eddy_JukeZ

Disregarding Dybala - it's an embarrassing window from our Ed. He had all the time in the world and has achieved absolutely nothing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are somehow going to end up with a weaker squad than we had at the end of last season.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Red cafe....

United are expected to know Juventus wanted to swap with Lukaku with Dyabala and target this deal in january which nobody even remotely thought about until a week ago when Juve's offer came out of nowhere...

fecking woodward, this should have been sorted in january!!!1!111!

You fecking muppets. Some deals pop up out of nowhere

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I was very comfortable making peace with our mediocrity two months ago. Shouldn't have let 2 defenders and a good preseason get my hopes up.

These are another couple of many small blips on a largely downward curve which has been sketched out over the last six years. We'll have a few false dawns again but not much will change until Ed's incompetence as a football man persists.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Until either the Glazers replace Woodward with a football competent person or sell the club to owners who care about the football side of the club, we will never get back on track.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Red cafe....

United are expected to know Juventus wanted to swap with Lukaku with Dyabala and target this deal in january which nobody even remotely thought about until a week ago when Juve's offer came out of nowhere...

fecking woodward, this should have been sorted in january!!!1!111!

You fecking muppets. Some deals pop up out of nowhere
People aren't criticising him for not being able to sign Dybala. In fact, I'd say it's a good call to not sign another player who didn't want to be here.

No, we're criticising Ed because sold Fellaini, let Herrera leave on a free, hasn't replaced either and is now looking for wild opportunities days before the window ends when he really should have delivered Ole his new CM for a preseason a long time ago.

el3mel

At least we got Maguire. Him and AWB will solve our defensive issues and won't make the window a total failure. I'll be content with that I guess, as with Woodward as your negotiator you shouldn't expect more.

LJJT

Does any one on here even have a clue what buying a player involves? There a million and one factors involved in it all. I’m sure if Ed had his way like all fans he would go buy Messi, Sancho etc for £50m each and pay them what they like. Any one who’s had a real job knows life doesn’t work like that some times it doesn’t matter how hard u try or work it’s just not happening

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Does any one on here even have a clue what buying a player involves? There a million and one factors involved in it all. I’m sure if Ed had his way like all fans he would go buy Messi, Sancho etc for £50m each and pay them what they like. Any one who’s had a real job knows life doesn’t work like that some times it doesn’t matter how hard u try or work it’s just not happening
Some people are good at their job and some others are bad. Woodward is horrible at his.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Meanwhile....

"What do you mean, you want to go home? Pour me out another macho mixer, and quick. I could buy this place, and have you fired, dont you realise who I am? I am the Manchester United Director of Football, is who the feck I am. I have had Alex Ferguson translated for me. I have broke the hearts of agents, players, managers. In the end I took no shit from any of them. The owners trusted me. I have had the fans chant my name. Damn. Ha, ha. OOps. That's just a little spill. Relax. Have a drink yourself. You are quite good-looking in a certain light, do you know that? One of my lovers told me I have great cheekbones. Briefings. Let me tell you about briefings. I used put on a Scottish accent and phone journos. In the dead of night. They never guessed it was me. Jose Mourhino loved my football ideas. In fact, he once admitted over a bottle of wine, that he was a little jealous of my instinctive knowledge of football..."

El-Manos

If it’s true about Dybala having limited interested it’s the right decision. We need an alternative though.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Why tho? Cos he can’t get the players we want? There’s a few more factors to it than transfer fees and wages
6 years on and there's no vision, no structure and no plan to take this club forward. Everything crumbled when Sir Alex and Gill left. Other clubs have moved forward both on and off the pitch while we have regressed.

LJJT

6 years on and there's no vision, no structure and no plan to take this club forward. Everything crumbled when Sir Alex and Gill left. Other clubs have moved forward both on and off the pitch while we have regressed.
Any one who thinks the board is just waking up each morning with a blind fold on with their hands tied behind their backs is just not in the real world

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is when the briefing backfires and makes you look like a numpty.
Yep, we are being absolutely hammered all over social media. We’ve gone from being the most feared/hated team in the league to the biggest laughing stock.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

No criticism from me
Precisely.

Wise move, Ed. Now crack on with a week to go to get ambitious, talented players who want to play for Manchester United.

Brightonian

Disregarding Dybala - it's an embarrassing window from our Ed. He had all the time in the world and has achieved absolutely nothing.
Bought us a RB who is currently showing every sign of being basically a flawless signing and excellent value for money. Promising young British forward brought in for a small fee to compete for a spot in an attack built around pace and press. And now one of the better CBs in the league - and certainly the best available CB in the league - arrives for a fee that has by all accounts been argued down by £10-15m, justifying the delay, but also demonstrates Ed's willingness to put some of that lovely Chevy/Aeroflot/Casillero Del Diablo money to good use when necessary. Meanwhile, we've kept Pogba and De Gea despite the fact that both were supposed to be determined to leave at the start of the summer.

Would I say no to another creative forward or defensive midfielder? No, of course not. But if anything the ball is now in Solskjaer's court. He's kept his best tools and been given some nice new ones. And he's got an enviable stable of youngsters staking excellent claims to be in first team contention.

Rashford
Martial Gomes James
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB
De Gea

Bench: Romero, Smalling/Tuanzebe, Dalot/Young, Matic, Lingard/Mata/Sanchez, Fred, Lukaku/Greenwood
You can keep your doom and gloom, I'm excited to watch that team (my preferred options in bold) play some football!

Eddy_JukeZ

Bought us a RB who is currently showing every sign of being basically a flawless signing and excellent value for money. Promising young British forward brought in for a small fee to compete for a spot in an attack built around pace and press. And now one of the best CBs in the league - and almost certainly the best available CB in the league - arrives for a fee that has by all accounts been argued down by £10-15m, justifying the delay, but also demonstrates Ed's willingness to put some of that lovely Chevy/Aeroflot/Casillero Del Diablo money to good use when necessary. Meanwhile, we've kept Pogba and De Gea despite the fact that both were supposed to be determined to leave at the start of the summer.

Would I say no to another creative forward or defensive midfielder? No, of course not. But if anything the ball is now in Solskjaer's court. He's kept his best tools and been given some nice new ones. And he's got an enviable stable of youngsters staking excellent claims to be in first team contention.

Rashford
Martial Gomes James
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB
De Gea

Bench: Romero, Smalling/Tuanzebe, Dalot/Young, Matic, Lingard/Mata/Sanchez, Fred, Lukaku/Greenwood
You can keep your doom and gloom, I'm excited to watch that team (my preferred options in bold) play some football!
And if that team fails to make top 4, will you show doom and gloom then?

There's plenty of reason to remain pessimistic. Our season could go completely off the rails before it even starts with our opening 2 games.

That front 4 has nowhere near enough goals and James is nowhere near good enough to start. I like Gomes, but I don't know if he can be a consistent starter right now. It pins all hope on Martial/Rashford firmly progressing to consistent performers.

Back 4 is fairly good, but we lack a great attacking full-back.

De Gea hopefully hasn't actually declined, but his poor distribution and being rooted to the line is still an issue.

If Pogba is out, our creativity goes down the drains.

MrPooni

You either sign Dybala or you live long enough to see yourself become the the villain.

Chairman Steve

I can’t really blame the board for what’s happened here. Everyone was thinking this Lukaku thing would just butting heads with Inter Milan over how much they’d pay for him, then Juve seemingly came along from absolutely nowhere and asked us if we wanted to a value for value swap. No one even reported a link with Dybala until only a few days ago.

Probably spoke to Dybala about it, found out he wants far too much money and maybe to the point he’d be a yet another merc, then pulled the plug. This whole things been pretty much born and fizzled out in a weekend. It’d be a problem if we’d spent weeks on it like we did with Fabregas when he was at Barcelona.

I’m more disappointed we weren’t after Bruno, but feck knows what’s actually going to happen between now and Thursday evening when the window shuts.

POF

Once again, after an encouraging run of games on the pitch, Ole has been let down by incompetence in the boardroom.

The Herrera and De Gea contract sagas clearly had a destablising effect last season and now, after a pre season where signs were encouraging and morale seemed high, the utter incompetence of the club once again comes to light.

In this day and age, what club actually agrees a deal for a player without knowing if that player wants to join? Why would you agree the transfer with Juve without speaking with Dybala's people?

When was the last time you heard that Real or Barca had agreed a deal for a player only for the player to tell them to feck off? Meanwhile, the club is now stuck with a completely unsettled player and 2 clubs who want him but can't afford him. There are only 2 possible outcomes in that scenario and neither is positive for United.

There is certainly an issue at United where they don't have any "football people" in senior positions. But the biggest issue at senior management level seems to be a lack of connections. For people who have been running one of the industry's biggest organisations for 6 years now, it boggles the mind how poorly connected they are.

The "Dybala didn't want to come" story seems to have come from a Woodward briefing. It shows an extra special level of awareness when your own positive spin makes you the laughing stock of world football.

Amir

No, we're criticising Ed because sold Fellaini, let Herrera leave on a free, hasn't replaced either and is now looking for wild opportunities days before the window ends when he really should have delivered Ole his new CM for a preseason a long time ago.
Who is that midfielder? Other than Longstaff, we've barely been linked to CMs. Maybe it wasn't high on Ole's list.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He reached new level today. Embarrassed the club( again) and became hero in eyes of the fans with ridiculous explanation. Ed is the PR king. This was masterstroke.