Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yet another terrible transfer window, shambles.
He has 7 more days but so far it is worst ever maybe. Didn't sold anybody, overpayed defender, needed one month to overpay full back, he even had problems in buying player from championship. Complete mess with Dybala. We will be laughing stock in next few days.

Needs to go.

clarkydaz

He has 7 more days but so far it is worst ever maybe. Didn't sold anybody, overpayed defender, needed one month to overpay full back, he even had problems in buying player from championship. Complete mess with Dybala. We will be laughing stock in next few days.

Needs to go.
he has 4 more days

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Does any one on here even have a clue what buying a player involves? There a million and one factors involved in it all. I’m sure if Ed had his way like all fans he would go buy Messi, Sancho etc for £50m each and pay them what they like. Any one who’s had a real job knows life doesn’t work like that some times it doesn’t matter how hard u try or work it’s just not happening
Bit condescending. Plenty of us have "real jobs" and none of us think we can buy Messi for 50 mil. What we do expect though is for the person (for the people in the back row) WHOSE JOB IS TO RECRUIT PLAYERS FOR OUR TEAM BECAUSE HE REFUSES TO HIRE SOMEONE TO DO THE JOB FOR HIM to do what he's paid to do yet he has routinely shown that he is incapable of bringing players in. No one is saying the job is easy, but that's no excuse for failure. I wouldn't expect my TV to explode when I turn it on, and I definitely wouldn't just sit there and say "well, it's very difficult to build TVs" if it did. Did NASA look at the shitshow that was Apollo 1 and shrug their shoulders? No, they fixed the problem. Did Jack realise that he had to get back to the island and just say "meh, can't win them all?". No, he drugged Sawyer and put him in a gorilla costume after stealing the crop estimate report. That might be two different things, I can't remember.

If other clubs can get their targets in every year then what is our problem? It's not four different managers, that's for sure. The only constant variable year after year is the Pob lookalike dipshit who gets praise for whoring the club out to any company that are happy to stick their money cock up our arse to be named a "partner".

Last edited:

Patrick08

the only people embarrassed today are the 15 year old in the playground who were bragging about the signing last week. In the real world, where conscious decisions are made, it was a good decision.
And not signing a right winger , again was a atrocious one too. If Sancho snubs us next summer which are the right wingers left for us to sign?

BananaIceman

the only people embarrassed today are the 15 year old in the playground who were bragging about the signing last week. In the real world, where conscious decisions are made, it was a good decision.
What's embarrassing is the lack of planning and foresight in having plans B and C, not just plan A. We knew for weeks now that Lukaku wanted to leave but the club had no contigency plan in place in case Dybala didn't want to come or no club was willing to match our asking price. Now we are stuck with an unhappy player with absolutely no preseason experience under his belt and whom the manger doesn't fully trust. I am sure that bodes well for the upcoming season when we are already thin with quality up top. I am not even gonna elaborate on not signing a winger and central midfielder or dicking around with signing Maguire for the entire duration of the transfer window only to capitulate and losing the opportunity to giving the player the best chance to succeed in the upcoming season by bringing him in early. Embarrassing stuff.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
What's embarrassing is the lack of planning and foresight in having plans B and C, not just plan A. We knew for weeks now that Lukaku wanted to leave but the club had no contigency plan in place in case Dybala didn't want to come or no club was willing to match our asking price. Now we are stuck with an unhappy player with absolutely no preseason experience under his belt and whom the manger doesn't fully trust. I am sure that bodes well for the upcoming season when we are already thin with quality up top. I am not even gonna elaborate on not signing a winger and central midfielder or dicking around with signing Maguire for the entire duration of the transfer window only to capitulate and losing the opportunity to giving the player the best chance to succeed in the upcoming season by bringing him in early. Embarrassing stuff.

The feck are you on about. We found out last week Dybala was available not weeks ago.

Infra-red

Yet another terrible transfer window, shambles.
Inevitable. Woodward simply isn't up to the job.

Be interesting to see if the Glazers make a change if we finish outside the top 4 again - missing CL for two consecutive years will cost us a third of the value of our single biggest commercial deal (Adidas). It has never happened before.

nameischarles

Really embarrassing transfer window overall by Ed. Not going by the Dybala situation but he had months to prepare and plan for this. We took forever to negotiate for AWB and Maguire which in the end we paid for what the club wanted. We haven't sold anyone. We probably won't buy another midfielder cause to Ed's eyes we already did last year with Fred. Lukaku will eventually be sold and by that time the money won't be used for reinvestment, it'll probably end up covering the Maguire purchase.

With the way negotiations have been going, I just don't see how we are going to sign someone in less than 4 days. Ed will probably just coast it now till the transfer window is closed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Are these various reports (or tweets) saying we might sell Lukaku without buying replacements a briefing?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Guess your fecking brain needs everything explained. The point is that Lukaku has wanted to leave for weeks. Sure Dybala's name only came up last week. But what has the club done prior to that time? Dumb fecks like you like to nitpick but the reality still stands.
Mate you clearly don't have a clue nor should you expect to be hanging around here for much longer.

Intelligent human beings can see there's no point investing money into players that are not an upgrade on whats departing or what we already have. There's seldom talent available in the 9 position at the momet that either A: Is interested in the premier league, or B: is an upgrade in Lukaku/Rashford/Martial.

Sterling Archer

That is so naive. Most of the folks here that are frustrated are upset that we spent over a week on this deal, a week that happens to be the second to last of a transfer window in which we've not done anything close to what our manager expected and was made vocal at the end of the season.

As for the 15 year olds, at least they're in uproar instead of letting Woodward pull the hood over theur eyes and making em think everything is fine and fancy.

Sterling Archer

Once again, after an encouraging run of games on the pitch, Ole has been let down by incompetence in the boardroom.

The Herrera and De Gea contract sagas clearly had a destablising effect last season and now, after a pre season where signs were encouraging and morale seemed high, the utter incompetence of the club once again comes to light.

In this day and age, what club actually agrees a deal for a player without knowing if that player wants to join? Why would you agree the transfer with Juve without speaking with Dybala's people?

When was the last time you heard that Real or Barca had agreed a deal for a player only for the player to tell them to feck off? Meanwhile, the club is now stuck with a completely unsettled player and 2 clubs who want him but can't afford him. There are only 2 possible outcomes in that scenario and neither is positive for United.

There is certainly an issue at United where they don't have any "football people" in senior positions. But the biggest issue at senior management level seems to be a lack of connections. For people who have been running one of the industry's biggest organisations for 6 years now, it boggles the mind how poorly connected they are.

The "Dybala didn't want to come" story seems to have come from a Woodward briefing. It shows an extra special level of awareness when your own positive spin makes you the laughing stock of world football.
All this while, apparently Eriksen had agreed to join us.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Some of you are so gullible, championing the fact that United are acting tough and drawing a line when it comes to wages and drinking the koolaid which Woodward wants you to drink. :lol:

To me its a damning indictment and further confirmation of how outside world and players perceive United at the moment. We've spent hilarious amount of money, yet are no where near challenging for the top honors. These 6 years have been so badly mismanaged that you have the likes of Paulo Dybala, who has been told by the manager/director/board that he doesn't fit their plans but still prefers to stay at Juventus instead of moving to a 'historical club' like United.

Also, what's up with this talk about 'desire' and 'wanting to play'? What desire did likes of Aguero, Silva, Toure have when they joined City? They were complete nobodies compared to us but all those players were sold a solid vision of where the club wants to be and a boatload of money. It speaks volumes to me that not a single top player has left City in the past decade, that's how strong the foundations are at that club. I can only imagine what project our club must be selling to top players these days. Footballers are no different to people in other professions, its money which talks. When you are not the most attractive proposition anymore then you have to do more. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with players who desire to be here but are no where good enough, see Young, Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Mata etc.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Would I say no to another creative forward or defensive midfielder? No, of course not. But if anything the ball is now in Solskjaer's court. He's kept his best tools and been given some nice new ones. And he's got an enviable stable of youngsters staking excellent claims to be in first team contention.

Rashford
Martial Gomes James
Pogba McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelof AWB
De Gea
I never accused Ed or the club for not spending, but for wasting the money. That is the state of our first 11 after another 150 million this summer and around 900 after Fergie departure. EPL transfer record for a striker, midfielder and a defender on top of paying biggest wages for Sanchez.

And now look at that team and did we really get value for our money? Our transfer policy is all over the place and if Ole doesn't get at least another midfielder (and should had RW also) before the season starts the ball certainly isn't in his court for me.

That team can realistically fight for top 4 and not much more. I'll be happy if we improve our attacking play and show some progress top 4 or not, but Ole has been let down here. It would be a tough job for anyone, let alone for a rookie manager on a highest level.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

I have serious reservations about us finishing within the top 6 after this window. Alright, we've improved on the back 4 but lost 2 cms in Fellaini & Herrera and about to lose Lukaku for less than we signed him for.

I'm excited about Dan James but no way will him, Martial or Rashford get the amount of goals we'll need to compete for top 4.

Arguably City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Wolves all have a better attack than us even after all the spending we've done through the years.

How hard can it be to craft a balanced squad with the amount of money we've spent through the years especially when the holes in the team are so obvious.

Incredibly frustrating.

Eddy_JukeZ

This honestly might be the worst window since he's been our CEO.

It's unreal how awful he is.

Kush

This honestly might be the worst window since he's been our CEO.

It's unreal how awful he is.
His apologists will be soon on here telling us how well he did by standing his ground and not giving into Dybala demands.

Oh and how he fixed our defence by signing Wan Bissaka and Maguire so everything is fine.

Patrick08

His apologists will be soon on here telling us how well he did by standing his ground and not giving into Dybala demands.
It was probably a right stand, although we should never have been drawn into it and wasted our time, instead focussed on signing a proper right winger and midfielders we so direly need.

He is running the club just like his disneyland..going for marketable deals than actually fixing the problem.

Tango80

I keep having to check the dates on posts as I'm surprised by the reaction on here. It's a really good window in fact.

Signed 2 players in positions we absolutely need in Maguire and AWB, and added pace on the wing.

I admire our stance on Dybala, would have liked to see Darmian or Rojo get sold but if there's no interest in them, what can you do?

Patrick08

Can't even influence potential list of targets to not sign new contracts with clubs so as to keep the price of players in check.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I keep having to check the dates on posts as I'm surprised by the reaction on here. It's a really good window in fact.

Signed 2 players in positions we absolutely need in Maguire and AWB, and added pace on the wing.

I admire our stance on Dybala, would have liked to see Darmian or Rojo get sold but if there's no interest in them, what can you do?
There is always interest in players, it just depends on what we ask in exchange. Recently extending Darmian was a clear hope the club would get something for him, therefore interest but it hasn't worked out.

Kush

It was probably a right stand, although we should never have been drawn into it and wasted our time, instead focussed on signing a proper right winger and midfielders we so direly need.

He is running the club just like his disneyland..going for marketable deals than actually fixing the problem.
I have zero problems with him not giving into demands (if they were completely ridiculous) but to me it all sounds like saving face once player rejected us. We have to remember club had no problem in paying Sanchez £27m a year. Dybala as reported by Italian journos wanted a 30% hike with what he is being paid at Juve i.e. €7.5m net. That works out at around ~£18-19m an year. As far as agent fees go, remember Liverpool top the list in past 2 seasons with the signings they have made. It's just the way market is right now. This is Woodward PR being in full force like it was in the past when other players rejected us, 'oh we were never interested in him'.

For me the two biggest problem in our summer so far is:

First, the club has made no efforts to sign a new CM even though we've lost 2 in Fellaini and Herrera. Both of whom played quite regularly for us. Only mid linked to us is Longstaff, if he is the only target Ole has in mind then you to question his judgment and the man who appointed Ole in first place, which again... is Woodward.

Second, Lukaku made it clear long ago he wants to leave the club. We've been negotiating with multiple Italian teams, but we've heard absolutely nothing about who would be his replacement. No rumors, no deal in place for a replacement signing (This is long before Juve offered us Dybala). What is he waiting for? For Lukaku to move and then panic buy in last few hours?

The club has been a total shambles under his tenure, we've been laughing stock for the world for 6 years and yet people still fall for his bullshit, I don't understand how fans can be this gullible.

Patrick08

I have zero problems with him not giving into demands (if they were completely ridiculous) but to me it all sounds like saving face once player rejected us. We have to remember club had no problem in paying Sanchez £27m a year. Dybala as reported by Italian journos wanted a 30% hike with what he is being paid at Juve i.e. €7.5m net. That works out at around ~£18-19m an year. As far as agent fees go, remember Liverpool top the list in past 2 seasons with the signings they have made. It's just the way market is right now. This is Woodward PR being in full force like it was in the past when other players rejected us, 'oh we were never interested in him'.

For me the two biggest problem in our summer so far is:

First, the club has made no efforts to sign a new CM even though we've lost 2 in Fellaini and Herrera. Both of whom played quite regularly for us. Only mid linked to us is Longstaff, if he is the only target Ole has in mind then you to question his judgment and the man who appointed Ole in first place, which again... is Woodward.

Second, Lukaku made it clear long ago he wants to leave the club. We've been negotiating with multiple Italian teams, but we've heard absolutely nothing about who would be his replacement. No rumors, no deal in place for a replacement signing (This is long before Juve offered us Dybala). What is he waiting for? For Lukaku to move and then panic buy in last few hours?

The club has been a total shambles under his tenure, we've been laughing stock for the world for 6 years and yet people still fall for his bullshit, I don't understand how fans can be this gullible.
I am not falling for it. He is being doing it for years. He has overtaken media operations since 2007 itself.

Should have sold lukaku for our price of course and signed pepe itself a right winger team direly needs, the dybala deal should never have been ON. I have been saying it all along, he was Woodward fascination than ole target.

BananaIceman

Excessive bad language
Mate you clearly don't have a clue nor should you expect to be hanging around here for much longer.

Intelligent human beings can see there's no point investing money into players that are not an upgrade on whats departing or what we already have. There's seldom talent available in the 9 position at the momet that either A: Is interested in the premier league, or B: is an upgrade in Lukaku/Rashford/Martial.
Pathetic. If pompous little feckers like you run this place, I will gladly take my leave. If you are so enlightened, why you making conjectures like the rest of us low beings? Little fecker thinks he knows more than others and yet you don't know shitt. No point in upgrading on what we already have because there's no value? You senile fool. Only thing you got is age and that ain't nothing to celebrate. Good luck old timer.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
He can't possibly do a 2 fecking deals at a time can he?

Another wasted window with the last 7 days wasted on a player that didn't want to join. Basically this year we signed a CB that we should've signed 12 months ago if it wasn't for Woodward pulling the plug on it. Oh and at premium price as well!

Johan07

Pathetic. If pompous little feckers like you run this place, I will gladly take my leave. If you are so enlightened, why you making conjectures like the rest of us low beings? Little fecker thinks he knows more than others and yet you don't know shitt. No point in upgrading on what we already have because there's no value? You senile fool. Only thing you got is age and that ain't nothing to celebrate. Good luck old timer.
He is not wrong though. Currently there is not much talent available out there at No9. Players like Suarez, Lewa, Benzema, Aguero, Auba, etc are nearing the end of their careers as well so there will be fierce competition for the top talent at that position the next couple of windows. It will drive prices through the roof for any emerging talent during next season.
Lukaku is not going to be worth less next summer considering the lack of talent there in European football right now tbf.
Btw, whats with the attitude? It was a completely fair assessment.

red4ever 79

So it was good to see Ed doing his usual 'we tried shrug of shoulders routine at the end of the window'

Those 2 announcements last night were almost synced. Pulled out of Dybala, not interested in Bruno. Lukaku may leave without being replaced.

Cant dress up another failed transfer summer Ed