Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Alabaster Codify7

So why did he want to buy Chelsea?

He's a businessman - that's his livelihood, not being a football fan.
If Chelsea was available and United wasn't, he isn't about to put his finances on hold sitting around waiting in case United does become available for something he can afford.
Not everyone goes through life with the weird tribal mentality of your average football fan, thankfully.

John Terry was a United fan. Why did he play for Chelsea and not put his career on hold as a kid in case we came calling?

Johan07

Because Woodward's strategy is stupid. So we need new CB and we've been linked with Harry Maguire for the whole summer. What're the alt options? The answer is Woodward doesn't have one. Even "Option A or bust" is the case, he should be more commit to it. Liverpool was tapping up with VVD long before they signed him.

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park job but he had enough prep time for it. Jose was sacked in December, it's been 7 months, all that time for AWB?
When it comes to CB I am pretty convinced that the club (OGS mostly) wants a player that would slot right in and improve the team immediately. That leaves Maguire and/or Koulibaly (because of his pure class). I dont believe that the club are looking at other alternatives. So yeah, its probably option A or bust here. If thats the correct approach or not, I dont know. But I am pretty sure of the fact that Woodward did not make this up himself.

arthurka

This club has gone to absolute shit under this regime. No plan, terrible dealings and a squad full of posers and wannabes. He cant ship players, this video from Jesse should have ment the end of his utd carreer or it would have under Fergie thats for sure and worst of all he cant get anything done to strengthen our squad. We have been missing a CB and a RW for a very long time now but still trying to find something that works.

I hope us fans dont turn on Solskjær because its time or fustration is focused on the right people this time.

Johan07

He's a businessman - that's his livelihood, not being a football fan.
If Chelsea was available and United wasn't, he isn't about to put his finances on hold sitting around waiting in case United does become available for something he can afford.
Not everyone goes through life with the weird tribal mentality of your average football fan, thankfully.

John Terry was a United fan. Why did he play for Chelsea and not put his career on hold as a kid in case we came calling?
Yeah, exactly. You dont get a net worth of 12bn by being emotional about your investments. That would include United.
The narrative that I replied to was that since he is a boyhood United fan (allegedly) he would be a better owner than the Glazers. This idea that there is someone out there that would spend 6bn to buy United just to be benevolant is so completely off to me.
That ship sailed 20 years ago if there even was a ship to begin with.

Eric's Seagull

Well, even if we speculate in him even being interested in any of the clubs to begin with (which is a leap to begin with, mind you): thats the exact point.
The Glazers are not going to sell United for anything less than 6bn IMO.
That realistically leaves the Saudis or an LBO saddling United with 2-3bn of new debt.
This is exactly why I am having such a hard time with people wanting rid of the Glazers without being able to present a real alternative.
6Bn is a lot considering we are valued at $3.8Bn as of May.https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/#229f570113f9.
I agree on your point in bold. I think the Glazers are so greedy that we will find it hard to find a buyer especially with the new NBC tv rights deal coming in 2 years. I think they want a large slice of that and after that is the earliest I can see them selling the club.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well, even if we speculate in him even being interested in any of the clubs to begin with (which is a leap to begin with, mind you): thats the exact point.
The Glazers are not going to sell United for anything less than 6bn IMO.
That realistically leaves the Saudis or an LBO saddling United with 2-3bn of new debt.
This is exactly why I am having such a hard time with people wanting rid of the Glazers without being able to present a real alternative.
:lol:

Johan07

6Bn is a lot considering we are valued at $3.8Bn as of May.https://www.forbes.com/teams/manchester-united/#229f570113f9.
I agree on your point in bold. I think the Glazers are so greedy that we will find it hard to find a buyer especially with the new NBC tv rights deal coming in 2 years. I think they want a large slice of that and after that is the earliest I can see them selling the club.
That. And the future TV-rights in East Asia, China and even Africa. Which are not mature markets yet. There is the concept of an European Superleague as well.
If I would speculate I think that the Glazers see an enormous upside in the asset value of the club in the next 5-10 years. To get them to sell it would take an enormous offer that would have to be much larger than the current valuation.
And again: that does limit the prospective buyers.
EDIT
And if the Glazers would want to sell now they could just float their Class B shares at NYSE. It would not meet the Forbes valuation but they would prob get around 3bn. Which would be a disaster from all kind of perspectives.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Yeah, exactly. You dont get a net worth of 12bn by being emotional about your investments. That would include United.
The narrative that I replied to was that since he is a boyhood United fan (allegedly) he would be a better owner than the Glazers. This idea that there is someone out there that would spend 6bn to buy United just to be benevolant is so completely off to me.
That ship sailed 20 years ago if there even was a ship to begin with.
I know what you are doing. Stop trying to derail the thread. Magnier et al would have been better owners than the Glazers. This is about Ed Woodward. So far this window, he has not exactly shone, has he?

Johan07

I know what you are doing. Stop trying to derail the thread. Magnier et al would have been better owners than the Glazers. This is about Ed Woodward. So far this window, he has not exactly shone, has he?
He is the CEO so I dont think he is nearly as involved in footballing matters as the popular narrative is in this thread.

::sonny::

I know how it works the cycle

- no important signings
- no results
- blame the manager
- sack the manager
- start again

Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho

Beaucoup

He does see to have a mental block when in comes to player transfers, if Maguire was a box of fecking noodles, he'd be signed, sealed and delivered by now.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Because Woodward's strategy is stupid. So we need new CB and we've been linked with Harry Maguire for the whole summer. What're the alt options? The answer is Woodward doesn't have one. Even "Option A or bust" is the case, he should be more commit to it. Liverpool was tapping up with VVD long before they signed him.
this is what I'm talking about. You have absolutely no way of knowing whether we have all of our eggs in the Maguire basket. The only reason you think this way is because nobody is writing about anyone else.

Do you really, really believe that we are stupid enough to not be talking to other clubs about other centre backs right now? There is simply no way.

Johan07

Thats funny, I will give you that. If you didnt actually mean it. But that would just be tragic, so good one there.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Signing a RB when we need 4/5 players you saying we have done our transfers? you have alot of faith in this team.
Not what I'm saying at all. It was in response that claimed that all of the other big clubs had done all of their business and done it quickly. They haven't. My response was simply that we have secured a quality player in our biggest problem position. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will sign at least one other player in this window.

Hellboy

Not what I'm saying at all. It was in response that claimed that all of the other big clubs had done all of their business and done it quickly. They haven't. My response was simply that we have secured a quality player in our biggest problem position. I have no doubt whatsoever that we will sign at least one other player in this window.
We were 6th, shambolic season and MILES behind. Your argument is only valid if we’re on par.

Stop defending these fools ...

Tincanalley

Thats funny, I will give you that. If you didnt actually mean it. But that would just be tragic, so good one there.
Your defence of the Glazers was mildly entertaining for a little while. Bored now.

romufc

They haven't.
Maybe I am reading things wrong.

Man City - Needed DM went and signed Rodri with no effort
Madrid - Overhaul - Signed CB,LB,LW,ST, ST
Bayern - 3 Cb's
Juve - CM, CM, GK, CB, CB, LB
Athletico - ST, Cm, CB, LB, CM

JoaquinJoaquin

I can see it getting toxic if we don't sign anyone and are struggling again, which is a high possibility.

Hawks2008

He really is just pathetic, he has had 6+ months to plan and this is culmination of all that time. fecking chinless oxygen thief.

Thisistheone

Just be patient and stop reading rumours. You'll feel much better. Pre-season has been very encouraging.
I like your optimism & the look of the new style Ole is trying to put in place. I moan a lot about Ed and transfers but the back end of last season was so shit I would have taken a younger side which was hungry & played with real pace. Even if it meant being miles behind City, just make Utd fun to watch again.

Guess it will be a slower process than expected - We could have done more this summer to speed things up in terms of catching City and Liverpool, but if we're finally on the right path, then thats great. This remains to be seen though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We were 6th, shambolic season and MILES behind. Your argument is only valid if we’re on par.

Stop defending these fools ...
Its not about defending anyone. Its about waiting until the window closes to judge whether our business has been acceptable or not. I'm personally convinced we will make more signings. If we don't, then yes I'll join you in labelling the summer as disappointing.

Our squad is much better than 6th IMO. I think we suffered badly with fatigue last season, both physically because of Mourinhos training methods, and also mentally because it was a pretty miserable football club for the past year or so. A fitter, more confident squad of players will play MUCH better football I believe.

As I said, I'm an optimist

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Maybe I am reading things wrong.

Man City - Needed DM went and signed Rodri with no effort
Madrid - Overhaul - Signed CB,LB,LW,ST, ST
Bayern - 3 Cb's
Juve - CM, CM, GK, CB, CB, LB
Athletico - ST, Cm, CB, LB, CM
Only City are relevant to us this season. I think they will rue not signing a centre back - they look light there.

romufc

Only City are relevant to us this season. I think they will rue not signing a centre back - they look light there.
If those clubs are not relevant, City shouldnt be too. We should be looking at Everton, Leicester and Wolves?

Shows how far your willing to accept our level.

Btw all those clubs have signed 2 players each as well. But thats fine, we dont need anymore cause we competing with mid table teams now right?

Johan07

This is off topic, but I also rue what City seem to be doing on the transfer market. Rodri was a very relevant buy for them. That is if he adapts to the PL and performs. Which is not certain at all.
And for anyone hailing City for that transfer: come on. He had a release clause that was low compared what his worth is on the market. And he wanted to play for Pep. Deal done, it was not some form of great negotiations on their part.
City need to replace more of their central line within one or two years with Kompany gone, Silva gone by next summer and Aguero hitting his thirties. They addressed the Fernadinho issue this summer, but again: far from certain that it will work out with Rodri. Its not like Spanish players have a great track record in the PL.
I just hope that they hold up for one more season, or its way too probable that it will be Liverpools year. A PL-title on the back of a CL would just be.....

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He is the CEO so I dont think he is nearly as involved in footballing matters as the popular narrative is in this thread.
Hold on my friend and let’s go back to basics.

Three managers in a row have stated that CEO Ed Woodward and Joel and/or Avram Glazer has the final call regarding transfers. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said just recently this month that he’s talking to all of them on a regular basis about in and outgoing players.

So with that said I think we can all agree that Woodward knows more or less everything about our transfer activities. The bucks stops with him and the chairman.

Bestietom

Three managers in a row have stated that CEO Ed Woodward and Joel and/or Avram Glazer has the final call regarding transfers. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said just recently this month that he’s talking to all of them on a regular basis about in and outgoing players.

So with that said I think we can all agree that Woodward knows more or less everything about our transfer activities. The bucks stops with him and the chairman.
Agree.

Johan07

Yeah, agreed. He does. He is the CEO after all.
The buck will always stop with him and whatever financial restraints we do or dont have. DoF, technical director, manager power or whatever, this will never change.
What I am talking and being on about at length in this thread is the thread is the narrative that Woodward actually has an opinion on if Maguire is a better CB than Smaling, Jones or whoever. And is enforcing it.
I seriously dont understand that anyone can even think that. Its defies logic.

Thisistheone

Wrong. He is & thats the problem. Unless giving Jose a new contract wasn't a footballing matter? And then a few months later not backing him fully in the market, knowing Mourinho would implode and suck the whole team down with him. Therefore writing off an entire season and costing the club millions in a pay-off, not to mention missing out on CL money.

Ole has recently said himself when asked about transfers, speak to Ed Woodward. Jose said the same and LvG.

mancan92

this is what I'm talking about. You have absolutely no way of knowing whether we have all of our eggs in the Maguire basket. The only reason you think this way is because nobody is writing about anyone else.

Do you really, really believe that we are stupid enough to not be talking to other clubs about other centre backs right now? There is simply no way.
Mate look at the evidence over the last few seasons. It clearly shows we ARE in deed that stupid.

Johan07

Wrong. He is & thats the problem. Unless giving Jose a new contract wasn't a footballing matter? And then a few months later not backing him fully in the market, knowing Mourinho would implode and suck the whole team down with him. Therefore writing off an entire season and costing the club millions in a pay-off, not to mention missing out on CL money.

Ole has recently said himself when asked about transfers, speak to Ed Woodward. Jose said the same and LvG.
I have stated repeatadly in this thread and others that the Mourinho appointment and the prolongation of his contract something that Woodward can and should be criticised about.
At the same time I dont think I am overexaggerating if I say that 90 percent of the Caf was for the Mourinho appointment at the time.
Even I warmed to the idea and I detest Mourinho as a person and the type of football he represents.
Its being very retrospective to maul Woodward for that decision today IMO.
The prolongation is actually an interesting issue, that we will probably never know the truth about. If I would guess, I think Mourinho threatened to walk out of the club that coming summer for PSG without a prolongation. Our league position was quite OK then as were the results.
The club probably weighed up their options and took a decision that later would be proved wrong.
I dont believe that Woodward took this decision on his own either. It would have been vetted with the Board of Advisors, who I have always argued are the first people to be replaced if the club ever will be able to take a more progressive route.
I guess my point is either of these decisions are sackable offences in my world when it comes to Woodward. And they will absolute not be to the Glazers, which like it or not is the relevant question.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If those clubs are not relevant, City shouldnt be too. We should be looking at Everton, Leicester and Wolves?

Shows how far your willing to accept our level.

Btw all those clubs have signed 2 players each as well. But thats fine, we dont need anymore cause we competing with mid table teams now right?
Things are going off track now. My point here really is that we should wait for the window to close before we make judgement on how good or bad our business has been. Given how many transfers tend to happen late on, that makes perfect sense surely.

nameischarles

Every day I visit this forum in hoping for some good news but it's just getting more discouraging.

romufc

Things are going off track now. My point here really is that we should wait for the window to close before we make judgement on how good or bad our business has been. Given how many transfers tend to happen late on, that makes perfect sense surely.
Yep lets wait, I think it is the fans frustration wanting to see something happen, signings. It's just that we have seen this happen alot and end up signing no one.

red4ever 79

Dont know what the confusion is.

Fans want trophies
Management wants $$$ - $$ comes from Champions league football. That is clearly our aim to get top 4. Our aim is no longer to be challenging for the title. How could it be, when we signed a RB.

As soon as fans accept thats the reality the sooner you can all sleep at night. Until Ed goes and the Glazers follow him this will be the norm.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Mate look at the evidence over the last few seasons. It clearly shows we ARE in deed that stupid.
We've spent a lot of money on a lot of expensive players that haven't worked out, for whatever reason. There seems to be an acknowledgement of that from within the club and we have changed our strategy, resulting in 2 transfers so far this summer that look very sensible and also a hesitancy in paying over the odds (see Maguire/Longstaff/no doubt many others that weren't reported) where we refuse to be taken for a ride. All of that is indicative of a different way of thinking.

Lets wait and see. I'll be disappointed if we do not add another player or two, but I think we will. If the decision is that 2 or 3 of our young players are also ready to step up, it changes the whole dynamic of how this squad looks compared to last season.

They've been very clear to all that this is not a one season plan.