Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

AshRK

Hey I'm hoping for the best too :)
Never wanted to be more wrong really, I'm tired of watching us struggle. Just unlikely given the state of our squad Vs our rivals.
Ole actually has been the only shining light since the preseason. He could have easily moaned and whined like his predecessor but he chose to work with what is given. He has brought a positive atmosphere and even handled Lukaku's situation very calmly, especially considering how Lukaku has been conducting himself. Our play style is still not the perfect but we are seeing high pressing model adopted and players are responding to that. Our fitness level has gone up and Ole is really putting more emphasis on working hard which is the most basic aspect of any profession.

Again it could all mean nothing and we lose against Chelsea and Wolves and look toothless but so far things are looking good.

Nialinho

Just wrote a massive response to the now shut 'has-been club' thread, so it's going here:

@Ole's Wheel

Not even gonna lie, just skimmed through this as it seems like it's another meltdown post because we haven't landed a proper muppet signing, however..

A has-been club? Even in our post-Fergie slump we're one of if not THE biggest club on the planet. In this slump we've won multiple trophies and finished 2nd. It's been really crap watching us the last few years after being so spoilt under Ferguson but you should bare in mind that other big clubs have fallen waaaay further than we have. We've obviously made big mistakes in transfer market, showing a lack of strategy and common sense and that's what ultimately has put us in our current predicament of needing yet another rebuild. Moyes, LvG and Mourinho were never the right sort of fit for United and have all contributed to our decline but their shortcomings were definitely helped along by the clusterf*ck above them. Woodward has a lot to answer for, but most of all Glazers who gave this under-qualified man so much power.

That being said we are entering a new era with a club legend at the helm bringing back the traditions that once made us great. Being so pessimistic for the season when we haven't even kicked a ball is stupid. Even with our shitty midfield options there's reasons to be optimistic for the future. We have a great crop of young talent coming through, our defense is finally looking decent and there's an effort being made to have a real identity and to play more a exciting brand of football.

Ole may be a success given time or he may not but crying about the fact we haven't signed Dybala/Eriksen isn't a good look. Especially considering both don't want to be here. You talk about us having a scattergun approach but overpaying to secure Dybala would be us repeating the same mistakes of previous years. We have no idea about the inner working of transfer deals or how difficult it is to bring in the quality needed. It seems like most clubs have struggled in the market this year. It's vastly different to how it used to be, smaller clubs are a lot richer and the money involved is incomprehensible. The rebuild was always going to take years, it was never getting done in one window. As guilty as Woodward and the Glazers have been in the past if Ole is backed over the next few years to rebuild the team properly, we can't have too many complaints. We have just signed the worlds most expensive defender and who knows, there is a day left to bring in a midfielder, right winger or no. 10.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Woodward's worst window for me - worse than the Fellaini window because then we were defending PL champions and it was Woodward's first window, with Moyes in charge (chosen by Fergie)...

This window is a culmination of 6 years of Woodward - i.e, we're now losing out on players to Spurs because of how unappealing a destination he's made us.

He needs to go - this season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Good post.
Responsibility and accountablity are two different things in my world.
Is Woodward accountable for the strategic decisions the club has taken the last 6 years. Yeah, most def. He is the CEO. Thats where he should and can be criticised; as well as other "powers" at the club can and should be.
But is he himself responsible for the things that media and the Caf puts on him; signing and blocking players, etc. Briefing media himself. There is no evidence for that at all. If anything my impression of Woodward is that he is dead scared of saying anything in public at all.
Which is understandable because of the club´s listing at NYSE. It would be literally criminal for Woodward to say anything that could affect the share price now that we are a plc again. This idea that he is making private briefings to media or whomever is about transfer dealings is not logical. He could get prosecuted if he did.
Yes, my stance is basically this: I don’t like the Glazers. I was against the takeover. That’s principle: to acquire a “business” which means so much to so many people in that fashion shouldn’t be allowed to happen. Water under the bridge, though. I largely agree with what appears to be your take on the present ownership. I do prefer it to any realistic alternative - albeit reluctantly.

As for Woodward, it doesn’t help these discussions that so many insist on demonizing him. I believe he’s far more hands off than hands on when it comes to running the football side: this is entirely in line with how the Glazers have been running things from day one: they’ve stayed in the background, leaving the football to whoever happens to be the manager. It’s hugely problematic in one sense - because United need someone with genuine authority to be hands-on on the football side, someone beside and beyond the manager - but that’s a structural issue, and a separate discussion.

Lastly, with regard to the infamous “briefings”, I believe they’re genuine in the sense that someone at the club have indeed provided the media with information from time to time (specific and more general), for whatever purpose (possibly to placate fans - misguided, mostly, if so). That’s ultimately on Woodward - it hasn’t happened without his consent. Precisely what is genuine and what is just myth in that respect is hard to say - but I do think United have been doing it: you can usually tell the difference between one journo starting a rumour that is subsequently picked up by others - and something (a “briefing”) which suddenly emerges from multiple sources at the same time.

My take on the “defender briefing” last summer: it was a reaction to Jose’s public statements (which were negative - not good for the club’s image at all). And it was stupid. It played right into Jose’s hands, in fact, since the general impression was that Woodward was impersonating a DoF, undermining the manager. The whole situation was a bloody mess, though. As said elsewhere - Woodward shouldn’t have extended Jose’s contract, period. And he should have fired him as soon as the season ended if he had doubts about his ability to challenge, or at the very least close the gap (which should have been the minimum ambition).

peridigm

I'm of the opinion that if Ed Woodward was locked in a room full of Caf members he would not make it out alive.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To be fair, I don't read certain posters' take on Woodward as an attempt to absolve him of any ultimate blame or responsibility.
There are few who absolutely won't put any blame on Woodward, but tbf it is a huge minority. We reached Jose 3rd season level of annoyance (even more actually) when most fans talk about Woodward and he will be under serious pressure for the 1st time if things don't go well this season.

There's a widespread notion among disgruntled fans that Woodward is a very hands-on sort of devil - or idiot - who keeps meddling, interfering and/or controlling in a way that is detrimental and/or positively incompetent. However, there is very little actual evidence to support this - and some of the things he's supposedly done (himself, personally) are clearly outlandish, such as forcing players on the manager, etc.
I agree with the notion that he isn't the only one to blame. People always need to have that one person at whom they like to point all the blame for everything that is wrong at the club and there is always more then just black and white in every situation, so that is the case here too. He did approve a lot of money (at least in most transfer windows), he didn't always run for the marketable players, but bought mostly what his manager asked him. He doesn't strike me as a person who will push a player on a manager to a large extent (both Sanchez and Pogba were Jose wishes and only one who didn't make any sense from my point of view in these 6 years was Falcao), so very little, if any evidence on that side.

Saying that, he seems to love chasing shadows when it comes to superstars or changing and turning transfer policy if one is apparently available. Him naively yelling to the world we can do things other clubs can only dream off and then pulling Fellaini/Herrera fiasco, blocking one player only to move for him the next season makes him look just like a total idiot to me in all honesty... Him clearly not having any long-term plan or acting purely in a reactive way when running the club. Choping and changing fully different managers in terms of playing style starting rebuilding job with every new one. Saying one thing (like DoF, techical director or whatever) and doing totally opposite again. Wage structure being broken and being unable to move players or extending the ones we don't need. It is a list that could go a long way.

What am really saying is that there are more indications in these 6 years that he is utterly incompetent when it comes to running a football side of the club, then the opposite. And I really don't understand why he is unwilling to change things? Only by putting DoF, move from the football side and concentrate on the marketing side he would make his life easier one would think. If he is so power-hungry, someone should remind him that he would still be in the position of Manchester United CEO? And by doing that he would avoid this wave of criticism under which he is at the moment. It really doesn't have much, or any sense to me. Or is it the board that is happy with how things are going? The answer is probably yes, but I don't see them blocking him trying to put around more modern structure. No one blocked him from putting his pal Judge to work closely with him who is from the same background.

I don't think it absolves him of anything, at the end of the day, even if he doesn't negotiate transfers and contracts personally - or acts like a fecked-up DoF because he's power mad, etc. He's ultimately responsible for the money United have spent, and for long term results - and those speak for themselves.
Agree. Ultimately he is the one who is responsible in whatever way you look at it.

Patrick08

Couldn't even buy longstaff and lost Herrera for free. Blithering idiot. Even spurs strengthened with N dombele and will surely replace Eriksen.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
And I really don't understand why he is unwilling to change things? Only by putting DoF, move from the football side and concentrate on the marketing side he would make his life easier one would think. If he is so power-hungry, someone should remind him that he would still be in the position of Manchester United CEO? And by doing that he would avoid this wave of criticism under which he is at the moment. It really doesn't have much, or any sense to me.
Yeah, this.

It reeks of an individual who is actually out of control in their current role, but is operating within such a ludicrous structure that there is no-one to step in and restore a functional, working model.

The Woodward years will have books written about them - it will be studied and scrutinized as a fascinating and odd anomaly in modern sports business.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Man Utd Transfers 18/19

Arrivals

Harry Maguire - £80m
Aaron Wan Bissaka - £45m
Daniel James - £18m

Departures

Ander Herrera - £0m
Antonio Valencia - £0m
James Wilson - £0m
Romelu Lukaku - £72m

Net Spend - £71m [For comparison Man City is at £78m, Wolves is at £84m and Arsenal at £90m]

Bet Glazers would be chuffed with our dealings this summer, Woodward to get a pay rise pretty soon.

Hellboy

Nice one Ed ya clown, keeping that net spend under £70m two years running.

No wonder the glazers are backing him.

Woodward out! Glazers out !

AshRK

Man Utd Transfers 18/19

Arrivals

Harry Maguire - £80m
Aaron Wan Bissaka - £45m
Daniel James - £18m

Departures

Ander Herrera - £0m
Antonio Valencia - £0m
James Wilson - £0m
Romelu Lukaku - £72m

Net Spend - £71m [For comparison Man City is at £78m, Wolves is at £84m and Arsenal at £90m]

Bet Glazers would be chuffed with our dealings this summer, Woodward to get a pay rise pretty soon.
Add Fellaini's sale and we might even get something for Darmian. And then if Zaha leaves palace we might get at least 10m from that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Cue posters who hate “net spend” being used to discuss our state.

But I agree.

red4ever 79

Ed, I am going to give 23 hours to show us that you are indeed not a stupid fecking moron. If that window closed and we havent signed a midfielder or replaced Lukaku then im going to be not very happy

el3mel

We'll probably sell Lukaku and sign Maguire. That's about it I guess.

It may not even happen as well.

That has been a very underwhelming window to follow.
As I predicted. Again, that was a very underwhelming window to follow. At least it wasn't a total failure though. Not buying strikers will probably cost us the entire season though.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Not sure why many only isolate this window. Each window should build on one another or at least YoY summer windows.

There has to be a rhyme and reason for each window. This window has been solid by solidifying two major positions of weakness, RB more so than CB. But RM/RF, CM and CF are still a major priority.

I for one am happy to give Ole time to build the team and improve players without CL. Being in Europe is bare minimum, which is the lowest standard for the current side because the consistent, known quality isn't good enough and the jury is still out on Ole and staff if they can match wits with the other top 6 teams sans quality (i.e. having the right tactics to have a legitimate chance at winning top 6 clashes).

However, Ole has to give the club a fair chance to improve YoY with the objective to win the league. All good for youth to have a chance to shine, but they need proper quality and there's only Pogba, Maguire and DDG.

If we're going younger, fine...but need a few years to develop them under one voice or a similar voice/style. Patience for Ole, but not Woody who has been the one constant in this wild rollercoaster the past 6+ years.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Man Utd Transfers 18/19

Arrivals

Harry Maguire - £80m
Aaron Wan Bissaka - £45m
Daniel James - £18m

Departures

Ander Herrera - £0m
Antonio Valencia - £0m
James Wilson - £0m
Romelu Lukaku - £72m

Should be lower considering Herrera is worth at least £30m and he only went on a free because we are a bit delayed when it comes to contact renewals.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
As I predicted. Again, that was a very underwhelming window to fall. At least it wasn't a total failure though. Not buying strikers will probably cost us the entire season though.
Hey, but new contract for Mata, it's like new signing! :drool:

kode

i am part of that minority that thinks he needs to be gone no matter the means. Fans should target him (songs, booing, twitter etc) Until he remains the boss nothing will improve, the worse thing is that he has find the wayto use journalist to get us dreaming (5 -6 players in, big overhaul, eriksen, sancho, Dybala) then nothing happens he will surely announce de Gea tomorrow to counter the negativity. This is disrespecting fans, Ole will get what he deserve . by accepting this crazy situation on which we invest only a net of 70 million to sort out a team that everyone has seen the limits, who can blame Pogba for wanting out? a team with no ambition at all, rejected by players who are not even top 10 quality.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Should be lower considering Herrera is worth at least £30m and he only went on a free because we are a bit delayed when it comes to contact renewals.
Net spend aside, replacing Valencia, Hererra, Fellaini and Lukaku on our wage bill with James, AWB and Maguire must have also pleased the bean-counters.

Last edited:

Kag

Man Utd Transfers 18/19

Arrivals

Harry Maguire - £80m
Aaron Wan Bissaka - £45m
Daniel James - £18m

Departures

Ander Herrera - £0m
Antonio Valencia - £0m
James Wilson - £0m
Romelu Lukaku - £72m

It reads appallingly. As usual, I’ll caveat my outrage by saying that I’m somebody that usually ‘defends’ many of the ludicrous criticisms directed Woodward’s way.

Ultimately, it makes you question the Glazer ownership and the current financial capabilities of the club.

Yagami

Good post resistant
outspent by Wolves and Arsenal for our 'rebuild'. Wow
Really?! I can't believe Arsenal have outspent us :lol:

It's crazy that we're going to go into the season without replacing Lukaku and Herrera. We just have to hope the younglings step it up.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
How many more years until Woodward makes us irrelevant like AC Milan and Liverpool before Klopp or are we already there? :angel:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's slightly sad that Arsenal who were the epitome of a badly run club are now better run than us . United really are the laughing stock of the premier League now

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Baffling that we are going into this season with Pogba, Fred, Scott and Matic as our midfield options.

Fred is useless and will probably be sold next year if he doesn't improve.
Matic is culpable of so many clumsy errors.
Scott is decent but nothing special.
Pogba's head wouldn't even be in the game for most part if we don't do well.

Woodward delivered by fixing the defence but what about other areas? He had 6 months to prepare for Herrera replacement. What the feck was he smoking?

oz insomniac

It reads appallingly. As usual, I’ll caveat my outrage by saying that I’m somebody that usually ‘defends’ many of the ludicrous criticisms directed Woodward’s way.

Ultimately, it makes you question the Glazer ownership and the current financial capabilities of the club.
No need to worry abut your support for Ed, Johan and Keefy find time to slavishly support him. The cynic might actually say it's amazing how they can post such supportive comments with someone's appendage in their mouth, must be touch typing of some skill .

Absolutely horrific transfer window, he has managed to not strengthen a team with specific needs with one the most financially healthy situations is unbelievable.

A possible net spend below those of competitors, and continuing spin of interest in players to keep supporters quiet and then not signing them in mystifying, but typically expected from the Glazer puppet. Well done Woody, not many could manage to do what you have achieve with the resources at your disposal.

diarm

Baffling that we are going into this season with Pogba, Fred, Scott and Matic as our midfield options.

Fred is useless and will probably be sold next year if he doesn't improve.
Matic is culpable of so many clumsy errors.
Scott is decent but nothing special.
Pogba's head wouldn't even be in the game for most part if we don't do well.

Woodward delivered by fixing the defence but what about other areas? He had 6 months to prepare for Herrera replacement. What the feck was he smoking?
I would add Pereira but minus Matic from the options you listed. Matic is worth negative value to our midfield.

I think McTominay could well become something special and still suspect Fred might come good as a ball winner/destroyer.

Based Adnan

Our most important window in which we can send a statement by backing our new manager and capitalize on Chelsea's transfer ban and push up the table. We lose our key midfielder in Herrera and sell Lukaku for 75m. Then we only buy a starting CB and RB. Essentially we've only addressed half the issues in the squad. We still have no right winger, no striker good enough to start and no CM to replace Herrera. Meanwhile a club who finished top 32 points ahead of us have outspent us.

This club lacks serious ambition. Can't trust a word that comes out of Woodward's mouth. Totally incompetent.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Woodward isn't even incompetent at this stage, he is doing a great job as far as the Glazer family care. His job is to make them money, not support the club achieve on field success.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I would add Pereira but minus Matic from the options you listed. Matic is worth negative value to our midfield.

I think McTominay could well become something special and still suspect Fred might come good as a ball winner/destroyer.
Matic is the only defensive midfielder we have so he is going to play.
Yeah I am hoping the same for Scott.
Again, I can understand that Fred had a bad first year but this is his chance to prove doubters wrong.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Woodward isn't even incompetent at this stage, he is doing a great job as far as the Glazer family care. His job is to make them money, not support the club achieve on field success.
He'll lose them plenty of money when the sponsors jump ship.

Foxbatt

Where is the aircraft with the banner when you need it? We need it to fly to get Woodwad out.