Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

RazorOz

I genuinely don't understand signing Pellistri and Diallo on the last day of the transfer window. Why didn't we have these transfers wrapped up earlier given they're clearly players for the future and not for now?

Seriously, can someone please explain this logic to me? Where's the plan? I haven't got a f*cking clue.
There is no plan and no logic. Just a scattergun approach hoping something sticks at the end of the window. Don't believe any later spin how these were long term targets all along.

I'd like to know who is actually coming up with the players we buy. We've heard Mourinho say how Fred wasn't his signing, most of these don't feel like they were on Ole's list. Indeed we've probably addressed 1 position from that list?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
LVG, Jose and Ole knew what they were letting themselves in for. Just looked at what SAF had to deal with with the owners would have told them everything. Man Utd is currency and those that owning it as well as work for it know the individual benefits for being part of it. LVG was no longer relevant, Jose star was fading fast and Ole knew this was an opportunity he would have never got without his relationship and history with the club. None of them were naive to the task in hand. If Ole was sacked tmw, there will be a long list of managers that will be willing to take the risk in order to use the opportunity to be relevant on the football world stage again.
I totally get that, but that was a time when it was still widely thought it was just a matter of time before we got back. None of them were fully aware of just how badly run we are behind the scenes. Then LVG was totally disrespected, Mourinho had the plug pulled after achieving top 4, now Ole is having the same thing happen to him too.

Two consecutive managers achieving their targets, only to get nothing back in return, undermined and discarded shortly after.

How many more times does this have to happen before we're left only with desperate managers, whilst the top managers steer well clear? It's not like it hasn't already been happening anyway with Guardiola and Klopp turning us down, moving to our biggest rivals instead.

If Ole gets sacked tomorrow, you really believe Pochettino or Rose/Nagelsmann/Tuchel/whoever would ever give us a serious thought? What manager wants to be undermined at the first initial success? Get handed random players, far down their list if they're even lucky? Look at these signings and ask yourself if they seem like Ole's signings?

As an example, apparently Ole couldn't have a CB signing until Jones or Rojo were sold, which was impossible with the wages they were on and their contract length. So Ole was being punished for failures by the board giving those contracts out in the first place. It's an impossible task to be manager here.

If you're an ambitious manager seeing what goes on here, you would have to be crazy to come here. There might be a long list of desperate managers sure, but they're not going to be bringing us back to the top anytime soon.

Last edited:

DarkXaero

Ole wanted a CB, though? Probably wants a DM too, but Matic and Fred should work for another season.
Which names were we linked to? Upamecano was the only one that had somewhat credible links, except he was never available as Leipzig didn't want to sell and he had recently signed a new contract. Aside from that, we were never really linked to a CB the entire window. In all the briefings, it was always about Sancho, VDB, or Grealish.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All the reports are in line with the impression I had of everything during the window, nothing surprising. United feeling they were bluffing about the deadline and price when it was a reasonable way to go about things.

Its fair to say 120m is too much in the current climate (even though we could've signed just Sancho over all the 5 players we did sign for the same amount, less with wages). But what's inexcusable is leaving it late, yet again. Its pure incompetence. Right when we heard the price, we should've countered with our price. Yes or no, move on. You don't leave deals like this til late in the window. Sancho is simply too important of a player for that. You sort it out early, one way or another. Move on if not possible, and get the rest sorted in a timely manner so the manager can prepare for the season. Instead we leave it for a month into a disastrous start to the season, leaving a mess for the manager to pick up.

Rolaholic

So Paddy Power opened a pop up shop in Manchester city centre named Woodwards...

croadyman

Do you think there is any truth in the rumour that Woody had a deal agreed for Sancho at the end of July, only for him to totally feck it up by going back in and trying to renegotiate a lower price for him

clarkydaz

Do you think there is any truth in the rumour that Woody had a deal agreed for Sancho at the end of July, only for him to totally feck it up by going back in and trying to renegotiate a lower price for him
Certainly, how do you mess up a one horse race when for over 2 months all you had to do was pay the known price

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I get the impression that Woodward is probably a decent man. His and the clubs actions during lockdown were spot on

His inability to negotiate transfers shouldn't take away from that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I get the impression that Woodward is probably a decent man. His and the clubs actions during lockdown were spot on

All the more reason why he should step away from footballing activity.

It would be like if Rashford wanted to be an attacker and a centre-back.

Highfather_24

So Paddy Power opened a pop up shop in Manchester city centre named Woodwards...
Say what you will, but Man Utd's reputation in the transfer market is in the dust. We are a worldwide joke.

The number of incompetent decisions taken in this transfer window is staggering.

Greck

so embarrassing, what's worse is our officials know they're green on the job but refuse to get help by employing actual football people. Do they not feel embarrassed by all the reports from other clubs ridiculing how they operate?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

A decent man who oversees a leveraged takeover of a club that is fully self-sufficient and loved by millions. Yes, a decent man.

clarkydaz

A decent man who oversees a leveraged takeover of a club that is fully self-sufficient and loved by millions. Yes, a decent man.
Sacked Rio in the changing rooms while still in his football kit
Stabbed Evra in the back
Sacked LVG after winning the FA cup

he's a diamond

Shiva87

Is this seriously there! This is really making the Mickey of him.

Seriously though, the briefings and counter briefings from the club are getting very tiring. Missing the days when we made the news only if SAF wanted to.

AllezLesDiables

All the reports are in line with the impression I had of everything during the window, nothing surprising. United feeling they were bluffing about the deadline and price when it was a reasonable way to go about things.

Its fair to say 120m is too much in the current climate (even though we could've signed just Sancho over all the 5 players we did sign for the same amount, less with wages). But what's inexcusable is leaving it late, yet again. Its pure incompetence. Right when we heard the price, we should've countered with our price. Yes or no, move on. You don't leave deals like this til late in the window. Sancho is simply too important of a player for that. You sort it out early, one way or another. Move on if not possible, and get the rest sorted in a timely manner so the manager can prepare for the season. Instead we leave it for a month into a disastrous start to the season, leaving a mess for the manager to pick up.
Woodward knows how to deal

el3mel

The conversation about Ole's future has been present since last season. This one is particularly not true, beside I believe most fans know there's no correlation between wanting Woodward out and wanting a managerial change.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The conversation about Ole's future has been present since last season. This one is particularly not true, beside I believe most fans know there's no correlation between wanting Woodward out and wanting a managerial change.
How many write ups did you see this weekend about the performance of our Board during the transfer window?

How many write ups about Ole? Do you think these anonymous matchday staff were getting their lines into the Athletic and the tabloids by pure coincidence, all at the same time?

You have to applaud Woodward and the rest of the exec team. They are not even a major topic of conversation today. Its been less than a week and they are already off the back pages. Whereas Ole...

el3mel

How many write ups did you see this weekend about the performance of our Board during the transfer window?

How many write ups about Ole? Do you think these anonymous matchday staff were getting their lines into the Athletic and the tabloids by pure coincidence, all at the same time?

You have to applaud Woodward and the rest of the exec team. They are not even a major topic of conversation today. Its been less than a week and they are already off the back pages. Whereas Ole...
We lost 6 at home before the end of market. Of course this will be a better talk for the media than failing to sign Sancho, a deal that has been dead before the deadline day by weeks anyway.

The market wasn't really as big of a disaster as some here are making out to be, not as a disaster as Moyes' or Mourinho's one, we still got 3 good players and just failed to land a 120m attacker so of course it won't generate much clicks or headlines as our start of the season or the 6 goals we conceded at home to Spurs. This is normal really. Has nothing to do with the PR stuff. In fact Woodward didn't seem to make much briefing this window like he did in Mourinho's one. There's one topic that's simply more interesting for the media to talk about.

R77

The market wasn't really as big of a disaster as some here are making out to be, not as a disaster as Moyes' or Mourinho's one, we still got 3 good players and just failed to land a 120m attacker so of course it won't generate much clicks or headlines as our start of the season or the 6 goals we conceded at home to Spurs. This is normal really. Has nothing to do with the PR stuff. In fact Woodward didn't seem to make much briefing this window like he did in Mourinho's one. There's one topic that's simply more interesting for the media to talk about.
  • Taking up the entire, extended, window on one deal that wasn't even on the table for the latter two months.
  • Signing a free agent that been so for several months, so late in the day that he can't even train or play in the team for weeks and weeks afterwards.
  • Bring forward the signing of a much-scouted youth player to make some kind of statement, but again so late that we can't get his work permit sorted before the (extended) window closes, so that he can't even come here for three months.
  • Similar situation with Pellistri. 10m, why leave it til the last couple of days if he was part of some grand plan?
  • VdB is the only signing that gives a (vague) aura of efficiency and competence.
  • Destabilise what positive psychology there was in the squad by way of all of the above, resulting in a terrible start to the season.
That's an absolute sh&t show for a club of this stature, and good to see the usual moaners are so easily fooled.

el3mel

• Taking up the entire, extended, window on one deal that wasn't even on the table for the latter two months.
  • Signing a free agent that been so for several months, so late in the day that he can't even train or play in the team for weeks and weeks afterwards.
  • Bring forward the signing of a much-scouted youth player to make some kind of statement, but again so late that we can't get his work permit sorted before the (extended) window closes, so that he can't even come here for three months.
  • Similar situation with Pellistri. 10m, why leave it til the last couple of days if he was part of some grand plan?
  • VdB is the only signing that gives a (vague) aura of efficiency and competence.
  • Destabilise what positive psychology there was in the squad by way of all of the above, resulting in a terrible start to the season.
That's an absolute sh&t show for a club of this stature, and good to see the usual moaners are so easily fooled.
VDB, Telles and Cavani are very good signings and additions to the squad and the team. Getting players late is a common problem that happened for us in every window post Fergie so it's not something new, but at the end we got very good players. Failing to land a 120m attacker is hardly "not backing the manager". Painting this window is a disaster as imo trying to build excuses early for the manager for any failure this season. Woodward is terrible but other ex managers had worse markets. Moyes one was a disaster. Mourinho's last one was a disaster. This one isn't.

R77

This one isn't.
By the skin of it's teeth, and you have to wonder what's happened behind the scenes to get there. I agree with the quality of the signings, I actually think they're all good. It's just the manner in which it was done. Very poorly handled, and has added to the general sense of choas and ineptitude that we thought and hoped was on it's way to the past.

Half the problem, it seems, is unfortuantely with us for the long haul. Blatant PR and misdirection from them to appease those looking for someone to blame for the current mess is incredibly obvious and, well, blatant.

el3mel

By the skin of it's teeth, and you have to wonder what's happened behind the scenes to get there. I agree with the quality of the signings, I actually think they're all good. It's just the manner in which it was done. Very poorly handled, and has added to the general sense of choas and ineptitude that we thought and hoped was on it's way to the past.

Half the problem, it seems, is unfortuantely with us for the long haul. Blatant PR and misdirection from them to appease those looking for someone to blame for the current mess is incredibly obvious and, well, blatant.
It's well known we're terrible negotiators and most of our deals drag a lot till we manage to decrease the price fee, this happened in most markets post SAf and not just this one, but at the end we got good deals for the players so it's not really a disaster or a mess imo. This is a little bit exaggeration. I hate Woodward and want him out, but Cavani and Telles make the market decent for me, and unlike many others, I have given up on signing Sancho by half of September or something.

The PR stuff is a little bit exaggerated as well. Woodward didn't actually do much briefing for the media as he's used to after every summer to save face. Compare this to his briefing after 2018 market, no comparison really. It's just the media has to choose to talk between a 6-1 loss at Old Trafford or failing to land a 120m attacker, easy to know which topic will generate more clicks.

Coleyoscar

It's well known we're terrible negotiators and most of our deals drag a lot till we manage to decrease the price fee, this happened in most markets post SAf and not just this one, but at the end we got good deals for the players so it's not really a disaster or a mess imo. This is a little bit exaggeration. I hate Woodward and want him out, but Cavani and Telles make the market decent for me, and unlike many others, I have given up on signing Sancho by half of September or something.

The PR stuff is a little bit exaggerated as well. Woodward didn't actually do much briefing for the media as he's used to after every summer to save face. Compare this to his briefing after 2018 market, no comparison really. It's just the media has to choose to talk between a 6-1 loss at Old Trafford or failing to land a 120m attacker, easy to know which topic will generate more clicks.
Not sure I agree with you on this one. There have been several story lines that look very like briefings to me: 'Ed really wanted to sign Sancho but was overruled by Joel'; 'Ed would be prepared to put sentiment aside and sack Ole'; 'United in touch with Pochettino', etc., etc. These are either entirely made up by the journalists who wrote them (which I doubt) or they are briefings which almost certainly come from the Woodward PR machine. I doubt that Neil Ashton, brought in by Ed for this purpose, is sitting around doing nothing.

el3mel

Not sure I agree with you on this one. There have been several story lines that look very like briefings to me: 'Ed really wanted to sign Sancho but was overruled by Joel'; 'Ed would be prepared to put sentiment aside and sack Ole'; 'United in touch with Pochettino', etc., etc. These are either entirely made up by the journalists who wrote them (which I doubt) or they are briefings which almost certainly come from the Woodward PR machine. I doubt that Neil Ashton, brought in by Ed for this purpose, is sitting around doing nothing.
These are coming from Mirror, Daily Star and Express. Shite resources at the end of the day. When Ed briefs, he briefs to all English journalism and all of them report the same thing at the same time. This isn't the case here.

Coleyoscar

These are coming from Mirror, Daily Star and Express. Shite resources at the end of the day. When Ed briefs, he briefs to all English journalism and all of them report the same thing at the same time. This isn't the case here.
Even if this were true, and I'm not sure it is, what's to stop Ed, or one of his spokespeople, from slipping a story to a specific journalist? If it's a media outlet that's not usually connected with him so much the better. In the end, of course, it's a matter of conjecture, we can't prove it either way.

In which case I think it's worthwhile asking the classic question "who benefits?
Who else would plant these stories? All of these story lines offer cover to Woodward and seek to shift the focus elsewhere.

It's possible that Ed is suffering in silence and unable or unwilling to defend himself. With the resources available to him and his great self confidence I doubt that's the case.

el3mel

Even if this were true, and I'm not sure it is, what's to stop Ed, or one of his spokespeople, from slipping a story to a specific journalist? If it's a media outlet that's not usually connected with him so much the better. In the end, of course, it's a matter of conjecture, we can't prove it either way.

In which case I think it's worthwhile asking the classic question "who benefits?
Who else would plant these stories? All of these story lines offer cover to Woodward and seek to shift the focus elsewhere.

It's possible that Ed is suffering in silence and unable or unwilling to defend himself. With the resources available to him and his great self confidence I doubt that's the case.
If Woodward is choosing a mouthpiece, he won't choose a one from a shitty source that no one believes like Mirror or Daily Star. Doesn't make sense, eh ? He usually chooses Stones or Ducker in that regard.

It's just a journalist putting 1 and 1 together.

Coleyoscar

If Woodward is choosing a mouthpiece, he won't choose a one from a shitty source that no one believes like Mirror or Daily Star. Doesn't make sense, eh ? He usually chooses Stones or Ducker in that regard.

Coleyoscar

Not sure about that.
Neil Ashton left the Sun to work for him.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Alternate theory to all this is that we've always been a horribly run club and have just been incredibly lucky to have had 2 incredible managers post WW2 that brought us unbelievable success.

Busby did it despite not having a ground for a period and suffered the trauma of Munich.

Fergie did it despite the Glazers (a saga which he played a part in bringing but let's ignore that for now) and football changing repeatedly during his time in charge.

Both relied heavily on 1 or 2 talented groups from the academy who effectively became the spine/soul of the club for 10 years +.

Fitchett

Alternate theory to all this is that we've always been a horribly run club and have just been incredibly lucky to have had 2 incredible managers post WW2 that brought us unbelievable success.

Busby did it despite not having a ground for a period and suffered the trauma of Munich.

Fergie did it despite the Glazers (a saga which he played a part in bringing but let's ignore that for now) and football changing repeatedly during his time in charge.

Both relied heavily on 1 or 2 talented groups from the academy who effectively became the spine/soul of the club for 10 years +.
Yes, there's a lot of truth in what you say. I posted a few years back that only 3 managers (Ernest Mangnall was the other one) out of 21, have won the league for us. Therefore, we failed to win the league under the other 18. To me, that illustrates perfectly, why we need to improve our structure and not be dependent on the brilliance of an exceptional manager. A club of our size and standing shouldn't be so dependent on the manager.