Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
35m net spend this summer. Really delivering for his manager.
55m isn’t it? We’re losing 110m in revenue so it’s not a bad outlay and if the market does tank we’re in a fantastic place to take advantage. It’s just the utterly chaotic way we’ve gone about it which is insane. We really could have done with a senior RW on loan too.

LARulz

LVG also spent a lot of money on tat, he can hardly talk.
I actually can't remember too many bit at the time Delay was highly thought of, Di Maria was exciting, Blind looked a solid squad signing, Schneiderlin at the time seemed a good signing too and Schweinstiger didn't plan out at all really but he was hardly a starter. Falcao was a loan and at the time worth a punt it felt - nobody knew his decline for those seasons before then.

I don't think, on paper when bought, those signings were bad. They also are not bad players, just didn't work for us for whatever reason.

hobbers

The only fringe player he could get out of the club is the one player who we actually still need right now :lol:

Meanwhile we've signed a midfielder who we didn't really need, doesn't strengthen our first eleven.
We've signed a forward who's 33 and hasn't kicked a ball in half a year, and wouldn't start in our first eleven with everyone fit.
We've signed an 18 year old who won't be joining until January.
And Telles, who at the very least is an upgrade on Shaw.

Atrocious window. No CB, no quality winger, no CDM.

DarkXaero

I... I just dont get it. OK maybe I buy into the argument that Sancho was overpriced for the sake if argument, but how could we not find any suitable second/third decent option for the RW after months and months? Completely inept.
I can agree with this. I understand not signing Sancho but there should have been a very clear backup plan. Also we ignored some very important needs such as a DM and CB, but I put that on Ole.

edcunited1878

fecking hell...again, sacking managers is fine...if you continue to supplement the squad as needed so the managers go from strength to strength.

And Poch has been sounded out since he was sacked by Spurs when Ole was manager of United. So there's been indecision in Woodward's mind about the manager position for over a year now. And going into this season, not only did he not adequately supplement the first XI, which was the clear weakness, next to squad depth, finding a 3rd CB to push or develop under the first choice CBs and provide them with rest, he gets all hot and bothered by a poor started after 3 PL matches and has Ole walking a tight role already...knowing full fecking well the team was underprepared going into the new season with only 4 weeks to "get ready" and zero first XI reinforcements to come into the squad to train and challenge before Palace.

I mean it's the same fecking song and dance. People are sympathizing for Romero, who probably does deserve better from the club (let him play or let him go a la Smalling), but we don't give that benefit of doubt to Ole in his second season? Again, make up your fecking mind and be decisive. Ole's not the best manager, but then you're the one who gives him the contract knowing the situation full well of the manager and club and needs to continue improving and succeeding short and long term.

It would have been totally better if Poch comes in during the shorten season and then he gets his choice of 2 first team players like Ole did, or was it the club's doing since the club, before Ole, scouted Maguire under Jose but waited one year later and paid up the ass for him? At least then, Poch gets 2 first team players to improve the squad going into the season knowing those players were needed beforehand anyways, but because he's new he needs to be backed up and needs to be shown that all while trying to get his players match fit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It’s incredible that he’s in charge and feck all is being done about it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can agree with this. I understand not signing Sancho but there should have been a very clear backup plan. Also we ignored some very important needs such as a DM and CB, but I put that on Ole.
The back-up plan was the injury prone French winger Dembele. :lol:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
3 managers failed under him, all said the same thing about him, our transfers have been awful under his leadership and been on a big downward spiral under him, yet he still has the same job and seems to be untouchable.

Kostov

If he doesn't get a sack after this fiasco or submits a resignation he never will actually. Embarrassing moron who deserved much more stick.

We desperately need a centre back, so we sign a left back.
We've been trying to sign Sancho for months, so, at the last minute we sign a 33 year old out of contract striker.
We sign a young lad from Atalanta who won't arrive until January.

Yet another transfer window is a shambles. Woodward is clueless; why are we still being forced to endure him?

Tango80

I don't think a CB would have made any difference when none of the back 4 communicate anyway.

The issue there is with the unit as a whole, or at least the system, rather than individual quality. Doesn't surprise my that Smalling left and looked a lot better playing for Roma.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Despicable window even by his standards. Lied to Ole, the players & the fans, after letting everyone believe getting top 4 would mean Sancho.

Cavani was a knackered 33 year old contemplating retirement beforehand, typical Woodward signing. Telles is just a lb, VdB solves nothing and 2 kids for at least 2 years time. Backing the manager for a grueling season ahead indeed...

Of course he's now leaking news of Poch replacing Ole, as if all of this negativity surrounding the club isn't all his own fault for not delivering on his promises.

DarkXaero

I don't think a CB would have made any difference when none of the back 4 communicate anyway.

The issue there is with the unit as a whole, or at least the system, rather than individual quality. Doesn't surprise my that Smalling left and looked a lot better playing for Roma.
I don't disagree with this, but ultimately, I think none of our CBs are anywhere near world class anyways. So even in a good system, their mistakes would be minimized but they still aren't capable of being a top defensive unit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
55m isn’t it? We’re losing 110m in revenue so it’s not a bad outlay and if the market does tank we’re in a fantastic place to take advantage. It’s just the utterly chaotic way we’ve gone about it which is insane. We really could have done with a senior RW on loan too.
In:

35m for VDB
15m for Telles
0 for Cavani

Out:

Smalling 15m

I guess it depends when we’re paying for our new winger. He’s not much use to us right now though.

lsd

The Oracle
Have to admit it has been a disappointing last day of the window . Was hoping for something special to lift the spirits after yesterday but there you go . 2020 keeps on delivering the downers

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Don't forget that since the leveraged buyout he helped mastermind the Glazers have taken the equivalent of £80 million a year out of the club in debt repayments and dividends.

He's also not a "financial genius". He's selling Manchester United to random companies. It's like selling water to someone who's thirsty. The only difference between him and someone else doing his job is that his level of pride in the club is lower so he'll happily sell our name to be tied to a fecking tractor manufacturer.

matsdf

This day is actually worse than yesterday, how have we gone a full year without signing a RW well knowing we need one. This is just madness. And I'm usually very optimistic, I like our manager and I like our squad, but this. This just doesn't make any sense.

Andy_Cole

I want Ed out, but this is too much guys...

Is it?

For a man to rinse the club we love out of everything we have, to literally suck on us like a leach dry of all our resources. You want us to just let him and watch? feck that. I can’t condone violence but something needs to be done.

Don’t reply saying it’s just football. This club has been built up for 100s of years. Brought so much happiness. You’ll allow those cnut to do it because you want to have the moral high ground?

No fecking thanks.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even leaving aside any issues with how much we spent, the positions we decided to spend on and the individual players we decided to spend on.....

The way we brought these players in annoys me.

Spurs were able to start the last game with two new signings on the pitch, two more on the bench while others get fit. Because getting players in early and bedded into the side helps. The same with Chelsea, who have the advantage of having worked with the likes of Werner and Havertz for a while at this point.

Could we really not have got these players in earlier? Cavani and Telles in particular. Even if they were down our list of options, it shouldn't have taken until the last minute to realise we wanted them. The same with any Dembele/Sarr bids, there was literally no reason for us to wait so long.

It's particularly poor this year as we had an entire covid shutdown in which we could have been lining up deals.

You'd swear the club think they gain some advantage by waiting so long, when in reality the opposite is the case.

Deciding not to spend much this year is fine. But for god's sake make that decision early and act upon it. Don't sit around waiting for players you can't afford to get cheaper for no reason whatsoever.

I get that some deals can take most of the window. But not four out of five.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
At this pt Ed leaving may be seen as a better thing than any transfer we could make at the moment. Its primarily the toxicity of the club's dealings thats concerning. And that may/probably isnt just him.

As mentioned before - maybe LvG in particular was def onto something with his comments - especially when you see what Evra is saying as well - whom I trust much more to have some insight into everything. At the very least he probably understands how things *should* be.
LVG; Evra; Rio; GNev; Jose. And SAF knew it too, as did Wazza, as does Ole. As others have posted - say it again. EdWood DeadWood: best paid, most arrogant, most ineffective, most toxic - prick.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Even leaving aside any issues with how much we spent, the positions we decided to spend on and the individual players we decided to spend on.....

The way we brought these players in annoys me.

Spurs were able to start the last game with two new signings on the pitch, two more on the bench while others get fit. Because getting players in early and bedded into the side helps. The same with Chelsea, who have the advantage of having worked with the likes of Werner and Havertz for a while at this point.

Could we really not have got these players in earlier? Cavani and Telles in particular. Even if they were down our list of options, it shouldn't have taken until the last minute to realise we wanted them. The same with any Dembele/Sarr bids, there was literally no reason for us to wait so long.

It's particularly poor this year as we had an entire covid shutdown in which we could have been lining up deals.

You'd swear the club think they gain some advantage by waiting so long, when in reality the opposite is the case.

Deciding not to spend much this year is fine. But for god's sake make that decision early and act upon it. Don't sit around waiting for players you can't afford to get cheaper for no reason whatsoever.

I get that some deals can take most of the window. But not four out of five.
Bang on, especially the first bit. If these were really our first choice signings then they could've easily been acquired earlier to give them time to gel with the rest of the squad and get situated in England. Never underestimate the amount of pressure they'll feel trying to get used to living in a new country when the world is still pretty much in lockdown.