Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

Greck

Rojo signed a new contract after assurances from Ole he was an important part of the team. So did Jones. We all said it at the time these players should never have been given new contracts. Same with 80m Maguire and a rightback that can't attack. He's now faced with lying in his own mess. I agree it's the board's fault as they should never have allowed him to make those decisions

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If he doesn't get a sack after this fiasco or submits a resignation he never will actually. Embarrassing moron who deserved much more stick.
He can't get a sack, doubt that Glazers could count 3 of our players by name or that they know where we are on the table.

This is their mate who helped them to own the club. And he sends them good/solid financial reports from time to time.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rojo signed a new contract after assurances from Ole he was an important part of the team. So did Jones. We all said it at the time these players should never have been given new contracts.
Rojo signed a new deal while Jose was manager.

Jones signed a new deal while Ole was interim manager.

Who gives out these contracts? A lot of the time it doesn't seem like the head coach.

Greck

Who gives out these contracts? A lot of the time it doesn't seem like the head coach.
you're right. Rather it was Ole who convinced Rojo to stay the subsequent summer
"For now I would like to stay at United.

"I spoke to the manager before the end of the season and we spoke about his plans for me.

"He said that I was in his plans, that I'm an important player and that he wanted me to return to full fitness to be able to count on me in the first team.

"It's now time to rest and spend time with my family before returning to England."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...kjaer-has-plans-for-him-amid-transfer-rumours
If you want to say Ole had no say in Jones contract then I don't know what to tell you. Jones had been phased out of the team when Ole came and heavily featured him in the starting xi

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's all the complaining about? He signed 5 players: Pellistri, Traore, Cavani, Van De Beek and Telles.

Halftrack

I can agree with this. I understand not signing Sancho but there should have been a very clear backup plan. Also we ignored some very important needs such as a DM and CB, but I put that on Ole.
Ole wanted a CB, though? Probably wants a DM too, but Matic and Fred should work for another season.
Rojo signed a new contract after assurances from Ole he was an important part of the team. So did Jones.
Neither of these are correct.

God knows there are enough things to criticise Ole for, no need to just start inventing new stuff.

littlepeasoup

I genuinely don't understand signing Pellistri and Diallo on the last day of the transfer window. Why didn't we have these transfers wrapped up earlier given they're clearly players for the future and not for now?

Seriously, can someone please explain this logic to me? Where's the plan? I haven't got a f*cking clue.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
you're right. Rather it was Ole who convinced him to stay that summer
At least that's what Rojo says he heard. Ole's selections, and the fact Rojo nearly moved to Everton, don't suggest Rojo was a part of his plans at any stage.

ravi2

What's all the complaining about? He signed 5 players: Pellistri, Traore, Cavani, Van De Beek and Telles.
[/QUOTE]

Fair point, those players should immensely improve the starting XI. City and Livers watch out!

Ralph1386

Is this incompetence or willful sabotage from Woodward towards the manager? It sometimes feels like he’s purposely working against the team.

Halftrack

Is it?

For a man to rinse the club we love out of everything we have, to literally suck on us like a leach dry of all our resources. You want us to just let him and watch? feck that. I can’t condone violence but something needs to be done.

Don’t reply saying it’s just football. This club has been built up for 100s of years. Brought so much happiness. You’ll allow those cnut to do it because you want to have the moral high ground?

No fecking thanks.
Its the only thing he understands
He has a wife and kids, ffs. That alone should mean it's bang out of order it is to rock up at his house to try and intimidate him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This is spot on. All of our players are commodities in the literal sense. It’s much more sense financially to retain as an asset then to let them go for peanuts or god forbid - free.

We’ve absolutely no intention or running this football club anything other than a money making machine for the Glazers. If some success comes along the way then that’s a bonus.

Bojan11

Is it?

For a man to rinse the club we love out of everything we have, to literally suck on us like a leach dry of all our resources. You want us to just let him and watch? feck that. I can’t condone violence but something needs to be done.

Don’t reply saying it’s just football. This club has been built up for 100s of years. Brought so much happiness. You’ll allow those cnut to do it because you want to have the moral high ground?

No fecking thanks.
Yes, beat him up and I am sure he will change his way.

What do Ed and Glazers love? Money. You restrict them of that. They ain’t going to change because a few rowdy twats are outside their house.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Well it definitely wasn’t Jose. I can’t imagine Jose wanting a new defender in Maguire whilst being happy Rojo was getting a new deal. Ole wouldn’t have been even consulted about Jones.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You probably didn't even know who 3 of them are few days ago.

He has a wife and kids, ffs. That alone should mean it's bang out of order it is to rock up at his house to try and intimidate him.
I agree. Unfortunately it could turn very ugly and in the end it won't solve anything.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Rojo signed a new contract after assurances from Ole he was an important part of the team. So did Jones. We all said it at the time these players should never have been given new contracts. Same with 80m Maguire and a rightback that can't attack. He's now faced with lying in his own mess. I agree it's the board's fault as they should never have allowed him to make those decisions
This post is such a perfect example of the myopia in the fanbase that Woodward and the Glazers have hid behind for the last decade.

It's all the manager's fault. No need to do any structural analysis. What do you mean Ole wasn't at the club when Rojo's contract was extended? He's still to blame!

At some point don't you want to get off the managerial merry-go-round and turn that dissatisfaction towards the people who have been a constant through the last 4 managers failures?

Greck

This post is such a perfect example of the myopia in the fanbase that Woodward and the Glazers have hid behind for the last decade.

It's all the manager's fault. No need to do any structural analysis. What do you mean Ole wasn't at the club when Rojo's contract was extended? He's still to blame!

At some point don't you want to get off the managerial merry-go-round and turn that dissatisfaction towards the people who have been a constant through the last 4 managers failures?
Point is they were all complicit and no one is spared of blame. It's not an either/or situation for some of us. That Jones contract in particular was a trainwreck coming in slow motion (excl the Rojo deal I've been corrected on)

Halftrack

Point is they were all complicit and no one is spared of blame. It's not an either/or situation for some of us. That Jones contract in particular was a trainwreck coming in slow motion
No, your point was clearly that Ole was an idiot for giving useless players new contracts. When that didn't stick, the point changed.

Champagne Football

It's been a decent window. Van de Beek, Telles and Cavani instantly improve us.

Facundo, Willy Kamwala and Amad Diallo added to the young talent we already have in Garnacho, Charlie McNeil, Teden Mengi, James Garner, Hannibal Mejbri looks like some top young players coming through.

ravi2

Yes, beat him up and I am sure he will change his way.

What do Ed and Glazers love? Money. You restrict them of that. They ain’t going to change because a few rowdy twats are outside their house.
Agreed, violence will solve nothing. The only way to hurt people like that is though their pocketbooks. I cancelled my MUTV subscription , unsubbed from all MUFC social media accounts and will not buy any merch but our fan base is so big and diverse I suspect only relegation would get us rid of the Glazers at this point as it doesnt matter how the club has been doing ...they always collect their dividends.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
The notion that the Glazers will 'sack' Woodward or that he should resign is absurd: as far as they are concerned he is running a profitable business for them.

ravi2

Facundo and Amad Diallo added to the young talent we already have in Garnacho, Charlie McNeil, Teden Mengi, James Garner, Hannibal Mejbri looks like some top young players coming through.
If our goal is trying to achieve top 4 then it is not the worst window in the world, glad you have come to terms with that.
The sooner our fan base realizes that we arent in the business of winning titles anymore the less stressful itll be for us.

Greck

No, your point was clearly that Ole was an idiot for giving useless players new contracts. When that didn't stick, the point changed.
?????
I included Maguire and AWB for a reason, to highlight he has also been a part of the mess/shoddy business. Getting Rojo wrong didn't change anything. I even owned up to the mistake once corrected (twice in fact). I gave 4 instances and one was wrong

littlepeasoup

Facundo and Amad Diallo added to the young talent we already have in Garnacho, Charlie McNeil, Teden Mengi, James Garner, Hannibal Mejbri looks like some top young players coming through.
Signing four players on the last day of the window like we have, I'm sorry... but that's just f*cking appalling. Why wait to sign those younger lads until today? Why not sign Telles or Cavani much earlier in the window, both of whom were evidently available and getable? It just smacks of desperation, trying to appease fans with a flurry of signings.

You say decent, I say shambles.

Champagne Football

Signing four players on the last day of the window like we have, I'm sorry... but that's just f*cking appalling. Why wait to sign those younger lads until today? Why not sign Telles or Cavani much earlier in the window, both of whom were evidently available and getable? It just smacks of desperation, trying to appease fans with a flurry of signings.

You say decent, I say shambles.
We don't know the facts. Maybe Cavani was demanding 300,000 a week 2 months ago, but dropped down to 200,000 a week last minute when he had no other takers. Maybe the prices for all the players we signed were higher until the last minute and then dropped a bit. We don't know. Did Barca and Real Madrid sign anyone of note? The pandemic has had a big impact on some clubs.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We don't know the facts. Maybe Cavani was demanding 300,000 a week 2 months ago, but dropped down to 200,00 a week when he had no other takers. Maybe the prices for all the players we signed ere higher until the last minute and then dropped a bit.We don't know. Did Barca and Real Madrid sign anyone of note? The pandemic has had a big impact on some clubs.
We've seen enough over the years to know that the people running the club don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

ravi2

We don't know the facts. Maybe Cavani was demanding 300,000 a week 2 months ago, but dropped down to 200,00 a week when he had no other takers. Maybe the prices for all the players we signed ere higher until the last minute and then dropped a bit.We don't know. Did Barca and Real Madrid sign anyone of note? The pandemic has had a big impact on some clubs.
Ed loves fans that post like you, keep it up! Real Top Red stuff

littlepeasoup

Is that you Ed?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The notion that the Glazers will 'sack' Woodward or that he should resign is absurd: as far as they are concerned he is running a profitable business for them.
The issue (for them) is that it isn't as profitable as it should be.

For the amount we've spent we should be competing and winning trophies. That would bring in more money. We should be in the CL every season. That would bring in more money. That would bring even more media attention than we already have. Those things together should allow us to increase our sponsorship revenue further.

Alternatively, if we're 'happy' with our performance on the field then we have overspent by £200-400 million in the transfer-market. With better management we could have been in the exact same position with half the expenditure. Not to mention our massively bloated wage bill that is unnecessarily costing us 10's of millions of pounds every year.

Even if you look at it all purely from a business point of view we aren't doing as well as what we should be. Yes we are making a profit, but it's at least £100m less profit (almost certainly more) than what we should have made in that time frame. That's why it blows my mind that the Glazer's don't seem to care. Either they are terrible businessmen living off of their old man's money or the main two (Joel and Avram) are getting too involved themselves and their own personal opinions are getting in the way.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We don't know the facts. Maybe Cavani was demanding 300,000 a week 2 months ago, but dropped down to 200,000 a week last minute when he had no other takers. Maybe the prices for all the players we signed were higher until the last minute and then dropped a bit. We don't know. Did Barca and Real Madrid sign anyone of note? The pandemic has had a big impact on some clubs.
Just not any of our Premier League rivals apparently.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
This is spot on. All of our players are commodities in the literal sense. It’s much more sense financially to retain as an asset then to let them go for peanuts or god forbid - free.

We’ve absolutely no intention or running this football club anything other than a money making machine for the Glazers. If some success comes along the way then that’s a bonus.
I made my bed with this a long time ago. LVG tried to tell us, then Mourinho, now we're seeing it unfold with Ole too. We might win a few trophies along the way to top 4, Europa or FA cup etc but until the Glazers go or the structure changes, we're finished competing at the top.

They wised up with Ole. They don't want any ambitious managers like Mourinho or LVG, interfering with their plans. Only Ole i guess didn't believe they would do it to him too. Soon no ambitious manager will ever want anything to do with us, and the final nail in the coffin will be dealt.

Litch

like any company that floats itself on the stock market, leaves itself vulnerable to be bought by owners that their plans might be different to those who support it. It is there's to do what they want with it and no different than the blue side of the city. Does anyone think they are Man City fans? The thing is once they are spending the money, most fans aren't interested in where it comes from as it's all about winning. If we were winning, Glazers and Woodward would be a whisper.

Litch

I made my bed with this a long time ago. LVG tried to tell us, then Mourinho, now we're seeing it unfold with Ole too. We might win a few trophies along the way to top 4, Europa or FA cup etc but until the Glazers go or the structure changes, we're finished competing at the top.

They wised up with Ole. They don't want any ambitious managers like Mourinho or LVG, interfering with their plans. Only Ole i guess didn't believe they would do it to him too. Soon no ambitious manager will ever want anything to do with us, and the final nail in the coffin will be dealt.
LVG, Jose and Ole knew what they were letting themselves in for. Just looked at what SAF had to deal with with the owners would have told them everything. Man Utd is currency and those that owning it as well as work for it know the individual benefits for being part of it. LVG was no longer relevant, Jose star was fading fast and Ole knew this was an opportunity he would have never got without his relationship and history with the club. None of them were naive to the task in hand. If Ole was sacked tmw, there will be a long list of managers that will be willing to take the risk in order to use the opportunity to be relevant on the football world stage again.