Ed Woodward has resigned from Manchester United | 2024: Returns to football

United Hobbit

What would it cost to buy United IF the Glazers sold now? Who could actually afford to buy the club outright following the repercussions of the virus?

Surely only Oil money could afford it?

I don't think they're selling, the only possible way is if they see a long term HUGE reputation hit that prevents us making them money

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He resigned from his UEFA position. Was that a bit of a hint? He was the mouthpiece of the owners.
And I am a ‘mouthpiece’ for my employers too, by way of the obvious fact that they employ me. Doesn’t mean I’m behind every agenda they have.

Dve

It won't be us (I desperately hope I'm wrong!)

Why would the Glazers sell when we're such a money maker for them, even without the Super League?
There could be more than one owner wanting to sell after this. E.g. how could Perez continue after standing out as the frontman for this in the media.

Suv666

Scapegoat for the greedy pigs. Woodward has been the most hated man in Manchester for a decade now, of course gets falls on the sword for cnuts.
The Glazers have to go. And they have to go now.

That being said, what a glorious day.

Adamsk7

Obviously this is great news on the face of it but what if he’s out because he was actually opposed to this, especially after talking to the players, and the Glazers wanted to push it through? We could have one of them step in now as our CEO or another, even worse, yes man.

Hopefully this is just the start of them all leaving but it seems too good to be true!

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There'll be a thumping of the chest in the Neville household. He'll very likely take credit for the collapse. Woodward has been made the fall guy for the Glazers. Massive payoff awaits.

Fooza

Still waiting for Howard Nurse to confirm, otherwise won't believe.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Beware of fake news. This is the worst era for ‘trending topics’, everyone starts throwing out opinions and the herd follow.

Anyway, it isn’t even clear whether Woodward was in support of the Super League or not, and none of this matters unless the Glazers follow.
Nice try Ed. ;)

RedDevilUnited369

Are you guys high? Glazers won’t find a buyer in the middle of a pandemic. They are businessmen and will only sell at the highest possible price - not when the whole world is in economic instability.. thats obvious.
The type of people that could afford to buy this club have only gotten richer during the pandemic. They can sell if they want.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The trouble is that Woodward wouldn’t have done anything that the Glazers didn’t want. They’ll just appoint another yes ma. Nothing will change until those parasites leave.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What would it cost to buy United IF the Glazers sold now? Who could actually afford to buy the club outright following the repercussions of the virus?

Surely only Oil money could afford it?

I don't think they're selling, the only possible way is if they see a long term HUGE reputation hit that prevents us making them money
There’s more than just oil money that dominates the world markets. Just take a look at who owns what in US sports for a start.
The Chinese will be casting an eye, that’s for sure

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes! Best thing to happen to the club for ages!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The trouble is that Woodward wouldn’t have done anything that the Glazers didn’t want. They’ll just appoint another yes ma. Nothing will change until those parasites leave.
Unfortunately you’re spot on

The Substitute

Good, but people seem to forget that Ed is nothing. It's Glazers that's the real enemy, not their lackey.

Infra-red

So pleased that this has happened.

The last 48 hours have been a perfect microcosm of Woodward's time in football; we've had a cynical money-grab, grand unfulfilled promises and callous indifference to the hopes and wishes of the fans. How perfect that it has all been brought crashing down by the trait that we have all come to associate most with Ed - embarrassing, shambolic ineptitude.

Goodbye and good riddance, you slimy, conniving wanker.

Zoo

Leaving immediately according to this:

Threesus

Sad thing is, he said he was a fan of United, growing up. His reign would have been remembered more fondly if he maybe didn’t come across as power hungry and was willing to take football people onboard.

But all of it is for nought if we are not able to kick the glazers out, anyway. The people with the cash to buy us are not morally upright people. Wonder what the road ahead is for us.

United Hobbit

There’s more than just oil money that dominates the world markets. Just take a look at who owns what in US sports for a start.
The Chinese will be casting an eye, that’s for sure
Ah see I don't follow shares etc goes over my head, I know obviously it depends on WHO exactly, but would Chinese owners be good or bad?

lsd

The Oracle
You know this is going to end with Saydi Arabia taking us over now.

Falcow

Convenient scapegoat, not sure what people are expecting to replace him. It will only be some other finance guy, probably even more clueless about football. Best we can hope for is that they'll stay out of the football side of it a bit more, just provide the cash when asked. Not sure if that's all that Woody did or not though tbh.

Do we know if he's resigning cos he was in favour of the ESL or because he was against it?
Exactly, all these clowns in here acting like we have just been bought out by the fans or something.

Ed has left, big deal, he may well turn out to be much better than the next appointment.

kps88

He's going to stay on until the end of the year? We're going to have a disastrous transfer window.

BamaRed89

I have been an avid reader of this site since 2010. I have never posted a single thing on here. Just enjoy the comments.
This has made me so excited I decided to make it my first post.
You can’t convince me the super league did not some good!

Ronaldo's Love Child

Conflicting stories then.

If he leaves immediately then I'll be happy. If the club announce his "resignation"but he stays on until the end of the year then I will suspect we are being played by manipulating the announcement.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

The thing is that every United source is saying the exact opposite of that. Stone, Ducker, and Luckhurst all stated this. Whitwell has kept his free article vague. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Chairman Steve

Woodward was the Glazer point man who helped the hostile takeover of us. Pretty sure he’s been their entrance into football. Is it too far fetched to say that if he goes, they go? Who else could they turn to now for advice on football matters? They don’t have any football contacts outside of OT. They sit in a Florida estate counting the money and signing off the spending of some once in a while.

United Hobbit

So is he actually going right now, or just announcing what he was "apparently" going to announce in December?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
On the one hand this has been my wet dream for years.

On the other hand we should be careful what we wish for. Woodward has been hilariously incompetent for years, yet the owners tolerated a record amount of spending without real structural sporting success and countless amounts of questionable decisions.

Makes you wonder what kind of talentless stooge they will put in charge of our club now.