Eddie Howe 22/23 - Newcastle

DavidDeSchmikes

It's not even a question anymore. But separately, and I include atletico in this, Newcastle are the worst team I've ever seen for it. Most teams do it to some degree but they're a law unto themselves now and it's becoming a farce
refs are too weak to clamp down on it imo

mu4c_20le

Seriously this guy must practice the dark arts. We've been underestimating him.

Lee565

You can't blame for how he sets Newcastle up, he tried the nice flowing football approach with Bournemouth and it got him relegated

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The Joelinton incident shows me he has zero integrity.

Dan_F

Nick Pope behaviour before the pen is a disgrace.
I only turned it on a split second before the pen but sounds like it. We’re at the point where football needs some kind of sin bin, purely reserved for players being idiots. Time wasting, arguing with the ref, diving etc.

Guy Incognito

Still lots of football to be played but it looks like they'll break into the top four this season. Without recruiting the sums of money City needed in year 1-2 of the project.

Howe has made them a tough side to beat. No European distractions, out of FA Cup, just the Carabao and league to focus on.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Still lots of football to be played but it looks like they'll break into the top four this season. Without recruiting the sums of money City needed in year 1-2 of the project.

Howe has made them a tough side to beat. No European distractions, out of FA Cup, just the Carabao and league to focus on.
Over half the season left.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Between them and Spurs, with Spurs having a couple of toughies they have a chance to make hay but I'd never bet against Conte.

glasgow 21

The Joelinton incident shows me he has zero integrity.
Correct, if that was a Man Utd player they would have had everyone and sundry on Tv how they know someone whose a victim of Drink Driving. To me Howe was left pretty much unscathed and free to make his decision to play Joelinton. He should not have been played, apparently i thought football players were supposed to set and example.

pascell

Next three for Newcastle are Palace (A), West Ham (H) and Bournemouth (A) so I'd expect them to get minimum 7 points from those games. The following three are Liverpool (H), Brighton (H) and City (A).

The better indicator of where they are as a team and if they're going to get top 4 are the latter three games.

Hulme91

Opposing managers should be bringing up the time wasting and near constant foul play. Ensure the referees have a clear picture and you remove the majority of their threat

Surprised it hasn't happened already as EPL referees look impotent against this style of play. Fair play to Newcastle for taking advantage but it should be easy to stop if you're in the ear of the officials before, during and after the game

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
You can't blame for how he sets Newcastle up, he tried the nice flowing football approach with Bournemouth and it got him relegated
Have you watched Newcastle at all this season?

Also no idea how Newcastle's time wasting is the talking point here when the winner was scored on the 89th minute and Fulham had been wasting time for the previous 88 minutes.

SirScholes

Also no idea how Newcastle's time wasting is the talking point here when the winner was scored on the 89th minute and Fulham had been wasting time for the previous 88 minutes.
Watched your keeper time waste from minute 1 at old Trafford
Biggest hypocrites I’ve come across

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Watched your keeper time waste from minute 1 at old Trafford
Biggest hypocrites I’ve come across
Yeah, I'm not denying we are wasting time when it's needed but it gets tiring when it's the only thing anyone speaks about, especially when every team does it and we were chasing the winner until 89th minute today.

The question about has he watched Newcastle was about how Newcastle play, seems like the poster was indicating Howe does nothing but park the bus which just isn't true. NUFC are in top 4 in expected goals this season, above Man United, Tottenham, Chelsea etc. It's ridiculous how some seem to imply Howe sets his team on a low block just because they have conceded only 11 goals this season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He was time wasting at Bournemouth too but because they were getting pumped by 3 or 4 goals regularly it wasn't as noticeable.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
He's done an incredible job turning around the some of the players who looked lost under Bruce. The time wasting is unfortunate; necessary - and probably expected, let's be honest - in some games but overdone where it's not imo. Hope it disappears as we can fill out the squad with quality.

A +22GD (33F/11A) at this stage is impressive for a team that's supposed to be boring. People should base their opinions off more than one facet of our play.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Of course not I’m not going to blame him but I’m also not going to act like he’s some brilliant manager
Is ten Hag a brilliant manager for turning an expensive top 6 squad into a top 4 team? Really wonder what he needs to do to get some credit from some. He literally turned one of the worst and most boring squads into a top 4 contender in a year while completely changing the way they play, from low block hoof team to a possession based high pressing team.

SER19

Football fans also need to stop making a fetish of it by calling it 'dark arts' or 'shithousing' thats worth a few memes. Its anti-football and worsens the sport on every level. Nobody pays money to watch Nick Pope stand over a football for fifteen minutes a match. The whole culture of it is gone too far and you can bookmark this message, if its not stamped out this petro-fuelled shower of hypocrites will be winning trophies this way in no time.

World cup stoppage time is the way to go until a stop clock is eventually used, and refs need to grow a backbone and start booking this shit for 'unsporting behaviour'. It's infuriating to watch and is why so many people are turned off the sport.

Howe is as contemptible as Simeone but gets a free pass because of his nationality.

SirScholes

Yeah, I'm not denying we are wasting time when it's needed but it gets tiring when it's the only thing anyone speaks about, especially when every team does it and we were chasing the winner until 89th minute today.

The question about has he watched Newcastle was about how Newcastle play, seems like the poster was indicating Howe does nothing but park the bus which just isn't true. NUFC are in top 4 in expected goals this season, above Man United, Tottenham, Chelsea etc. It's ridiculous how some seem to imply Howe sets his team on a low block just because they have conceded only 11 goals this season.
It’s pretty true it’s horrible football and cheap tactics
Almost the same draws as wins

SirScholes

Is ten Hag a brilliant manager for turning an expensive top 6 squad into a top 4 team? Really wonder what he needs to do to get some credit from some. He literally turned one of the worst and most boring squads into a top 4 contender in a year while completely changing the way they play, from low block hoof team to a possession based high pressing team.
It’s still one of the most boring squads

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
It’s pretty true it’s horrible football and cheap tactics
Almost the same draws as wins
How come they've scored more goals than Man United then? High number of draws is the result of not having enough quality to consistently break down low block teams and Chris Wood and Jacob Murphy being the first options off the bench for majority of the season. Saying NUFC only defend and waste time just proves that you've seen them maybe 2-3 times this season and only against the big teams away.

Timewasting is a problem and they should really stop the clock, no excuse not to. NUFC winning trophies because of that is hilarious, every team in the league does it but for some reason it's the focus point on NUFC right now.

Random Precision

Supports
Newcastle
As EH has said “we’re not here to be popular, we’re here to compete” Believe me compete we will.

SirScholes

How come they've scored more goals than Man United then? High number of draws is the result of not having enough quality to consistently break down low block teams and Chris Wood and Jacob Murphy being the first options off the bench for majority of the season. Saying NUFC only defend and waste time just proves that you've seen them maybe 2-3 times this season and only against the big teams away.

Timewasting is a problem and they should really stop the clock, no excuse not to. NUFC winning trophies because of that is hilarious, every team in the league does it but for some reason it's the focus point on NUFC right now.
Because you are by far the worst at it, yet when Leeds did it all you heard in Newcastle was people slagging Leeds off, then at arsenal you deployed the same tactics and said it was a master stroke

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Arguing that Newcastle are boring and only play with a low block is disingenuous at best. I've browsed on here a while and there were a number of posts earlier in the season praising our football.

The low block and time wasting tactics have only really been put into play against bigger teams away from home; Liverpool, yourselves and Arsenal the only real examples that spring to mind.

You have to remember that this is a team that is still made up, for the most part, of players that 13 months ago were rock bottom of the league.

Schar, Almiron, Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Wilson - more than half of our regular starting 11 were part of the car crash under Bruce. Add in the likes of Saint Max, Murphy, Fraser, Lascelles, Ritchie, Anderson, Manquillo, Dummett etc. who still pad out the match day squad, and that number is skewed further.

It's obvious that Howe has the team playing above themselves in general and, yes, against teams rife with quality, away from home, we've used "dark arts" to pick up points.

That hasn't been the case at home or against the "also rans" though. We attacked City, Chelsea. Have handed out hammerings to Brentford, Fulham, Leicester. Battered the likes of Everton and Forest even if the scoreline didn't reflect it.

The majority of our draws have come from being unable to breakdown the likes of Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds etc who came to SJP and played for a point. We dominated all of those games, just couldn't score.

We have one of the highest xGs in the league, more shots than most teams, more turnovers than most teams in the opponent's half. More goals scored than most, being the key one... I include Man Utd in all of those stats.

So yeah, disingenuous at best. In reality it reads like the critics have only watched specific games, or have short memories.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Oranges038

I only turned it on a split second before the pen but sounds like it. We’re at the point where football needs some kind of sin bin, purely reserved for players being idiots. Time wasting, arguing with the ref, diving etc.
Nah just book the cnuts for the first one and give second yellows for repeat offences. That's all that's needed to clamp down on the bullshit behaviour,

But instead of the players being blamed for being idiots, the referees would get panned for ruining games with stupid reds.

Dan_F

Nah just book the cnuts for the first one and give second yellows for repeat offences. That's all that's needed to clamp down on the bullshit behaviour,

But instead of the players being blamed for being idiots, the referees would get panned for ruining games with stupid reds.
How many times do you get a second pen in a game. A yellow is irrelevant for a keeper. Fair enough for the other offences I mentioned.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Botman and Schar in their current set up is probably top 3 in the league CB partnership (current form). Their lack of attacking presence may let them down as the season goes on - maybe Isak’s return fixes that a little - but the backline will keep them steady enough to stay in the top 4 race, I reckon.

Blood Mage

He's not the progressive coach some would have you believe, but he's made Newcastle incredibly organised and difficult to beat and you have to respect that. They're punching above their weight and unfortunately giving themselves an early springboard to success.

What's both sad and funny is once they're a top 4 side the Saudis will probably ditch Howe for a 'sexier' coach.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Because you are by far the worst at it, yet when Leeds did it all you heard in Newcastle was people slagging Leeds off, then at arsenal you deployed the same tactics and said it was a master stroke
That's just irony ffs, as so many seem to imply Newcastle are the only team doing it in the league when every team does it as long as the clock isn't stopped.

You also skipped my question to you. NUFC are ahead of MUFC in most attacking stat categories but our football is boring and horrible?

Oranges038

How many times do you get a second pen in a game. A yellow is irrelevant for a keeper. Fair enough for the other offences I mentioned.
Very rarely. But all this crap has become an accepted tactic as part of the game. It's disgusting.

In my view the only way to sort it out properly is to apply the rules and book players for time wasting, tactical fouls, kicking the ball away all that shite.

If players throw themselves to the ground pretending to be hurt to stop play, play should go on while players are receiving treatment if they need it. Even for head injuries, play should only be stopped if a player actually has to be carried off the pitch on a stretcher which is a very rare occurrence.

Also booking keepers for time wasting as early as possible and even it they were to apply the 6 second rules after at most 10 seocnds it would speed them up a bit. They should also put in a rule that if a keeper catches a high ball or is standing when they collect it they can't drop to the ground and lie on it.

SirScholes

That's just irony ffs, as so many seem to imply Newcastle are the only team doing it in the league when every team does it as long as the clock isn't stopped.

You also skipped my question to you. NUFC are ahead of MUFC in most attacking stat categories but our football is boring and horrible?
Haha you can use stats to say a million things, my eyes do not want to watch nick pope hold onto the ball for 15 minutes
It’s getting noticed because you’re the worst at it

Lee565

I have, I am not saying they are some shithousery team like that play mundane football like atletico but they are clearly a savy team in terms of seeing games out and fighting dirty if it's needed , clearly howe has become far more streetwise since leaving Bournemouth

footballbite

Not enough is said in the media about how they play the game, they should be called out for it.
It was the same with him at Bournemouth - the media were always loved up in him even though his team there were just as bad.

It's not even a question anymore. But separately, and I include atletico in this, Newcastle are the worst team I've ever seen for it. Most teams do it to some degree but they're a law unto themselves now and it's becoming a farce
Howe's Muff we're just as bad for the same diving, petty fouls, time-wasting, general scumbaggery etc. He coaches it.

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Haha you can use stats to say a million things, my eyes do not want to watch nick pope hold onto the ball for 15 minutes
It’s getting noticed because you’re the worst at it
Nick Pope has never done anything even close to as ridiculous as that 'shoulder injury' was from De Gea.

SirScholes

Nick Pope has never done anything even close to as ridiculous as that 'shoulder injury' was from De Gea.
Mate he’s still holding onto the ball at old Trafford as we speak
Go and tell him the game is over

L. Robert

Supports
Newcastle
Mate he’s still holding onto the ball at old Trafford as we speak
Go and tell him the game is over
I just hope DDG is fine, hate to see grueling injuries like that happen to any player, own or opponent.