Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Still hasn't played a Clasico.
Can't decide if Ancelotti is doing it for the memes or if he just prefers to not acknowledge that Hazard is a RM-player, i sure know i pretend the latter, he retired at Chelsea as far as i'm concerned.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Thread title is this a statement or a question
Real Madrid player??

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Where does he even go from here after a stint like this? Tottenham, West Ham, return to Lille or as the prodigal son somewhere in Belgium? Early retirement?

The name and talent is big enough for him to be a massive signing for any club under the elite echelon of clubs, but in reality he has barely been a footballer for years

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Where does he even go from here after a stint like this? Tottenham, West Ham, return to Lille or as the prodigal son somewhere in Belgium? Early retirement?

The name and talent is big enough for him to be a massive signing for any club under the elite echelon of clubs, but in reality he has barely been a footballer for years
At his wages he's done at top level football.

TsuWave

One of the worst moves I can think of in relatively recent times. Especially when you consider his stock at the time he left.

Crazy how bad it all just went. Should have just stayed at Chelsea.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
One of the worst moves I can think of in relatively recent times. Especially when you consider his stock at the time he left.

Absolutely. But he had a lot of injuries and everyone seems to forget that. It's a sad end to his career.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid

He would still be this bad. He got so many chances here to earn a spot in the team but failed miserably each one of them. Zidane was quite stubborn in trying to find his best form because he had a soft spot for him but even Carlo tried multiple times to accomodate him somewhere (LW, false9, SS, RW) and he was really bad. Quite worse then even Asensio, Vazquez and Ceballos. Even Mariano is better option when you need goals because he is at least a threat in the penalty box.
And it wasn't just because of injuries. He joined in 2019 and in his first match, which was a pre season game with Atletico, we lost 5-0 and he was the worst player on the pitch.
He arrived for a record fee at his dream club to be coached by his favorite childhood player overweight.
Simply the worst transfer in RM history.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He is like the fat kid in PE that joins the team with the strongest players because he is mates with them. He doesn’t contribute anything (usually they get put in goal because.. fat) but joins in the celebrations anyway.

JuriM

Eden Hazard, Philippe Coutinho two who were absolute superstars in PL, but kind of tethered away since their moves away.

Jev

Maybe, but never at that price, it was more of a ripoff than Coutinho, anybody sane could have seen that.
That's some serious revisionism. He had been a top-3 Premier League player for several seasons, was always going to go for that kind of money.

Idxomer

He was a great player and better than Coutinho. I think the money was silly because he had one year left on his contract and there were always some indications of him being unprofessional which doesn't bode well for longevity.

Also unlike Rooney and Bale after their decline, there isn't really any hint with Hazard that he was a class player before which is a bit weird. He does seem completely finished at any level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's some serious revisionism. He had been a top-3 Premier League player for several seasons, was always going to go for that kind of money.
He also had statistically the best season of his career in 18/19.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
We sold him at the perfect time for an incredible amount.

It’s still a shame to see his decline however.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Didn't we make a serious attempt to get him but he went for Chelsea who were European Champions at the time?
He was trolling us and City at the time. First he said he was going to a club from Manchester, then he said the team wears blue jerseys and later he said it was the european champions -> Chelsea

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Yep. Trying to pretend like he wasn't an absolute superstar is disingenuous.
Don’t forget he was basically a one man team for us at times and was nigh unplayable at his best. Bale on the other hand scores a few Worldies and goes there for £80 mil which was massively overpriced at the time compared to average market value. Though I concede ended up being the better value.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He arrived for a record fee at his dream club to be coached by his favorite childhood player overweight.
This is the part that is going to annoy people the most. Not all transfers are a guaranteed success, no matter how expensive they are, but him arriving overweight is going to be interpreted as he doesn't care. It is a big contrast just after Ronaldo was sold, he can try and fail but that type of attitude is like if he wasn't trying his best.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He was always overrated to be honest. This stint has done absolutely nothing to prove that wrong either. Much preferred peak Alexis Sanchez, he had the attitude to match his talent unlike Hazard.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He would still be this bad. He got so many chances here to earn a spot in the team but failed miserably each one of them. Zidane was quite stubborn in trying to find his best form because he had a soft spot for him but even Carlo tried multiple times to accomodate him somewhere (LW, false9, SS, RW) and he was really bad. Quite worse then even Asensio, Vazquez and Ceballos. Even Mariano is better option when you need goals because he is at least a threat in the penalty box.
And it wasn't just because of injuries. He joined in 2019 and in his first match, which was a pre season game with Atletico, we lost 5-0 and he was the worst player on the pitch.
Simply the worst transfer in RM history.
I don't think Carlo actually tried that hard to find a place for him, and that was the right decision, he knows a finished player when he sees one, and that is what Hazard is.

Djemba-Djemba

You have to admire someone getting their dream move and then right after that just deciding feck it I'm done, pass me the pork pies and donuts.

criticalanalysis

Don’t forget he was basically a one man team for us at times and was nigh unplayable at his best. Bale on the other hand scores a few Worldies and goes there for £80 mil which was massively overpriced at the time compared to average market value. Though I concede ended up being the better value.
I don't remember there being much shock at Bale's price in terms of 'was he worth it'. He was that good and only 24. In hindsight or not, it was a 'decent' value transfer even at the time imo.

Was he as good as Ronaldo or Kaka i.e players of similar comparison for what they went for? No but he was the next best tier and it proved so.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He was always overrated to be honest. This stint has done absolutely nothing to prove that wrong either. Much preferred peak Alexis Sanchez, he had the attitude to match his talent unlike Hazard.
Wrong on so many levels. Peak Hazard was unstoppable whereas young kids like McNair were able to keep Sanchez quiet.

foolsgold

Belgium, Golf, Madrid.

He doesn't look bothered about it at all, and is going to earn over 100m pounds in his time at Madrid. Fair play to him I suppose, but even so....