Ederson - Atalanta Midfielder

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Seems doubtful this guy is available on loan surely? Starts every week for them.
Yeah, not happening. They held onto Rasmus until we coughed up silly money. We spend loads on Amad too and he did not get a look in there. If you've sold two youngsters to United for close to a 100m and they come knocking again, you wet your lips and expect it to rain money.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Half of that video is him stood in miles of space with 15 years to do whatever he feels like with it (most often a floaty diagonal that Harry Maguire could manage).

Could be a great player of course, but that video doesn't do a great job of selling him.
Amrabat has scarred me. He looked good on YouTube too. National team captain. Manager knows him. Sigh

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No, let's go for proven players from decent leagues. Seria A has been dogshite for years. Atalanta excel at getting average players playing well above their ability.

Why are we shopping around the midtable of an average league when there are proven players in the Premier League like Paulina at Fulham. Paqueta at West Ham.

What we're paying for these lads from Atlanta we could tempted Premier league proven players away from clubs.

But if you're happy shopping in Lidl for players that's good for you.
Damn, if Serie A isn't even decent nowadays, then football is in a terrible state.

Paqueta failed at Milan funnily enough and now is worth obscene amounts.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
At least get my boy’s name right! Koopmeiners.
I knew that would flush you out. Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour, Koopmeiners?

Have you seen this lad play with your boy then?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I knew that would flush you out. Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Saviour, Koopmeiners?

Have you seen this lad play with your boy then?
Yes, personally think Ederson isn’t the answer to what we need unless we’re committing to a double pivot (which it would seem is not the intention of Ten Hag).

He’s not a holding midfielder for me a decent dribbler/ball carrier and when I’ve been watching Teun he’s never really stood out. He’s basically a box to box midfielder that doesn’t get involved in either box if that makes sense? His role is more to be the 7/10 every week a steady presence which is probably my view of him.

The only game that reasonably stands out to me recent is the Milan game where I thought he did a good job

I don’t think we’ll be buying him and I’ll be amazed if he moved to us. Another PL club maybe but it feels like our names being used here for clicks.

If you want to be bringing in a good midfielder from Atalanta it’s still Koop.

But we won’t go for either.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
No, let's go for proven players from decent leagues. Seria A has been dogshite for years. Atalanta excel at getting average players playing well above their ability.

Why are we shopping around the midtable of an average league when there are proven players in the Premier League like Paulina at Fulham. Paqueta at West Ham.

What we're paying for these lads from Atlanta we could tempted Premier league proven players away from clubs.

Tottenham have recently signed players mostly from Serie A, half of their Starting XI come from Italy (Udogie, Vicario, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Romero) and they're well above Manchester United in the league, playing much more entertaining football.
The fact all Tottenham signings from Serie A have been successful while MUFC's ones all bad make me think that maybe the problem is not the quality of the leagues where you buy from.

---

That said, I follow Atalanta of course given I'm italian and Ederson has been very good so far this season.
I'd say he's been top5 midfielder in the league and overall better than that highly rated Koopmeiners guy so, to me, he would be very good signing for Manchester United if the price stay around £30-40m

Cela shomana

I feel he's not that quick on ball and would have trouble in PL. You know like Amrabat. His long pass is not that impressive. A bit floaty, difficult for the receiver to control, especially against more physical, quicker defenders. For a DLP, his passing completion stats for Atalanta is not that good (low 80%).
this was my first impression after watching those youtube clips. I guess a comprehesive scouting work has been done on the player as I understand the scout screw had the same reservations on Amrabat. Hopefully he has other qualities not shown in these clips. however, what I noticed is he doesn't take too many touches before he make a pass like Amarabat. he is more like ane touch move kind of a player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Tottenham have recently signed players mostly from Serie A, half of their Starting XI come from Italy (Udogie, Vicario, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Romero) and they're well above Manchester United in the league, playing much more entertaining football.
The fact all Tottenham signings from Serie A have been successful while MUFC's ones all bad make me think that maybe the problem is not the quality of the leagues where you buy from.

---

That said, I follow Atalanta of course given I'm italian and Ederson has been very good so far this season.
I'd say he's been top5 midfielder in the league and overall better than that highly rated Koopmeiners guy so, to me, he would be very good signing for Manchester United if the price stay around £30-40m
Good to know! Do you have any young players you think could be world class coming up in Seria A?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yes, personally think Ederson isn’t the answer to what we need unless we’re committing to a double pivot (which it would seem is not the intention of Ten Hag).

He’s not a holding midfielder for me a decent dribbler/ball carrier and when I’ve been watching Teun he’s never really stood out. He’s basically a box to box midfielder that doesn’t get involved in either box if that makes sense? His role is more to be the 7/10 every week a steady presence which is probably my view of him.

The only game that reasonably stands out to me recent is the Milan game where I thought he did a good job

I don’t think we’ll be buying him and I’ll be amazed if he moved to us. Another PL club maybe but it feels like our names being used here for clicks.

If you want to be bringing in a good midfielder from Atalanta it’s still Koop.

But we won’t go for either.
Thanks, I really haven't even seen him mentioned when looking up serie a matches, so I had literally had no idea the kind of player he is.

I also can't imagine if we are looking at loans, all of a sudden we're going to drop a fair chunk on a midfielder.

glasgow 21

Also surely we could get a player with a similar profile from South America for half the price? Why not give it a lash?
This seems to require years of footwork and networking ,non of which we seem to have in the bank as we went for the glory helicopter arrival of the latest top player on a steep incline

Stadjer

We paid nearly that figure for both Antony and Hojlund.

Why wouldn't we pay more for a player we know is capable. This is why we're in this mess, overpaying for players totally unproven in our league.
Maybe we should break transfer records for English and premier league proven centre backs instead. That will surely be a huge succes?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

---

I’m curious what makes you think he’s that good?

led_scholes

Paqueta cost 50m and came from the French league, also known here as the farmers ' league.

While Maguire and AWB, players that we totally did not overpay and have been amazing here, came from the PL. The league doesn't matter. Scouting should be able to identify the talent no matter the league. If we go back to the Ole "proven" Pl mentality then we are in a truly mess.

No, let's go for proven players from decent leagues.
Let’s ignore the likes of Mount, AWB & Maguire for a second….

Which leagues class as decent?

You can buy shite even from the best leagues, as we’ve proven time & time again. Meanwhile, the likes of Liverpool under Klopp have proven to us that you can absolutely buy from a bunch of leagues and get top notch players.

City’s best two players came from Germany.

Arguably Liverpool’s best two (Allison and Salah) came from Italy.

Spurs best player came from Germany.

Martinez is one of our best, he came from Holland.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Hmm, looks a bit 'meh' from the video posted. Absolutely acres of space to play and he passes around like he's playing footy with his kids on the beach. Even with zero pressure, a lot of his passes are landing on the attacker's heads.

I'm not saying he'll be crap as I'm basing it on a YouTube compilation. But it does have alarm bells ringing in the same way Amrabat did. I'd also have to question who is identifying these targets also at this stage. Personally I wouldn't spend a penny until we have people in place and an actual assessment of the squad has been carried out. Given what we've spent on midfielders over the last 18 months, surely we don't need another as a priority.

ROFLUTION

Ahh. Serie A the most pressing league in the World. That'll do.

I'd rather get Palhinha from Fulham.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ahh. Serie A the most pressing league in the World. That'll do.

I'd rather get Palhinha from Fulham.
I’d rather not get Palhinha mainly because we have so much to work on in terms of squad build that adding another 28yo (who would be 29 by the time of any possible transfer) just isn’t the way forward for us. He’d demand higher wages, a fee of £60m+ and would just decimate any budget.

You buy the 29 yo if you’re ready for the title challenge and are financially able to make sacrifices but we’re once again in bargain bin and loan territory this January.

Litch

What another one? Someone is getting a back hander at Utd....

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
City Ederson has got me thinking all Edersons are bellends.

RedUnited86

This has less legs than Casemiro.

Like when we were linked to Guido Rodriguez last season. It's going no-where.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Don't judge me but Goldbridge seems to be research the players Newcastle were heavily linked with and assumes we'll go for them...and here's one of them.
Not a bad theory but it assumes Newcastle's immediate aspirations are the same as ours, which may not be true.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Tried to keep an eye on him tonight vs Liverpool as we were linked. Atalanta beat them 3-0 at Anfield.

Great engine, covers a lot of ground. Was pressing Liverpool's defence at the edge of their area in the 92nd minute and was back in Atalanta's box before the ball was when they launched a counter. Popped up everywhere from CB, fullback, to making the run into the box that led to their third. Didn't see much of him on the ball, showed neat footwork once or twice, but Atalanta were mostly hoofing it.

Seems to have good awareness of his surroundings to go with his mobility and recovery pace. Barely let Mac Allister and then Szoboszlai have a second's peace all game. Based on this little bit of evidence, I'd guess he'd be a better fit than Everton's Onana because he seems to have much better tools for trying to cover the acres of wide open space that we leave in our midfield. He seems to play a bit like a bigger, more positionally disciplined Fred.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Tried to keep an eye on him tonight vs Liverpool as we were linked. Atalanta beat them 3-0 at Anfield.

Great engine, covers a lot of ground. Was pressing Liverpool's defence at the edge of their area in the 92nd minute and was back in Atalanta's box before the ball was when they launched a counter. Popped up everywhere from CB, fullback, to making the run into the box that led to their third. Didn't see much of him on the ball, showed neat footwork once or twice, but Atalanta were mostly hoofing it.

Seems to have good awareness of his surroundings to go with his mobility and recovery pace. Barely let Mac Allister and then Szoboszlai have a second's peace all game. Based on this little bit of evidence, I'd guess he'd be a better fit than Everton's Onana because he seems to have much better tools for trying to cover the acres of wide open space that we leave in our midfield. He seems to play a bit like a bigger, more positionally disciplined Fred.
I don't think Onana has an issue with covering large spaces. I'd say that's one of his strong points. The issue most have with Onana is, is he goood enough on the ball.
Did you get an idea of what Ederson is like in the air? I think he needs to great there if Martinez will continue being a starter for us.

E-mal

From Atalanta I'd rather take Koopmeiners
To play what role in our team? He is more of an attacking midfielder in Atlanta and that is where his success has come. He will struggle in the epl

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Goldbridge had been banging about it for months.

didz

Is he good on the ball?
That's certainly not his main quality. In fairness Atalanta have been pretty vertical this season, but I doubt Ederson would help us keep the ball any better, put it that way.

aeh1991

To play what role in our team? He is more of an attacking midfielder in Atlanta and that is where his success has come. He will struggle in the epl
I am aware, but he has played the majority of the games as DM/CM throughout his career, even just last season he played in a deeper role. I also don't think he'd struggle as he is a very intelligent and technical footballer. He reminds me of Matic. Whereas Ederson seems more a chaotic ball winner type, in the mould of Fred.

afatzp

Look like a practical replacement of Casemiro and more compatible with Mainoo and Bruno. He specialized in ball recovery, duel won and defend positioning which replicate Casemiro's function, while more dynamic and better covering range . Surely Casemiro has better passing range, also his header make him a goal threat in set pieces , but I think Ederson would make our MF more cohesive and less exposed .

E-mal

I am aware, but he has played the majority of the games as DM/CM throughout his career, even just last season he played in a deeper role. I also don't think he'd struggle as he is a very intelligent and technical footballer. He reminds me of Matic. Whereas Ederson seems more a chaotic ball winner type, in the mould of Fred.
He doesn't have the dribbling, press resistance and physicality of Magic. I think we need to look at physicality as well as technique as we lack both actually in our team.
We need a Rodri, the most important part of our team.

didz

He doesn't have the dribbling, press resistance and physicality of Magic. I think we need to look at physicality as well as technique as we lack both actually in our team.
We need a Rodri, the most important part of our team.
The physicality of magic had been at the centre of philosophical debate for millennia. Most now believe that no such thing exists. If we find a footballer who proves that wrong, we'll have achieved something no other club could dream of.

Ederson probably isn't the guy for that though.

OleGunnar20

The physicality of magic had been at the centre of philosophical debate for millennia. Most now believe that no such thing exists. If we find a footballer who proves that wrong, we'll have achieved something no other club could dream of.

Ederson probably isn't the guy for that though.
If Scotty McToms season doesn't convince you of magics physicality then I give up.