Edin Dzeko

Frank Grimes

What is it about Dzeko that he never seems to get the praise he deserves. Scored another 2 goals tonight and had a beautiful volley wrongly disallowed for offside too. He has been in great form for the last year or so, top player , how do others rate him?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Been in fantastic form for a few years now. Definite in the top 10 strikers in the world, and always shows up in the big games. World class player for sure.

Ignoring Ronaldo and Messi, the only strikers I would say are a step above him are Kane, Lewandowski, Cavani, Suarez and Aguero...
Dzeko, Icardi, Aubameyang, Firmino and maybe Immobile are probably the next group of 5.

Also just has a fantastic striking technique with either foot. As Raoul says, wish we signed him after Wolfsburg. Wouldve been a brilliant player to lead the line for years.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
His 'problem' is that there's always a teammate stealing the limelight from him. He was living in Aguero's shadow for years at City. Whilst he was the top scorer in Serie A in 16/17, Salah was getting the praises for being much younger and easier on the eye.

Wayne's World

When he was at Wolfsburg I thought he was going to be a really prolific striker. I actually think we should have looked into signing him then

Frank Grimes

Been in fantastic form for a few years now. Definite in the top 10 strikers in the world, and always shows up in the big games. World class player for sure.

Ignoring Ronaldo and Messi, the only strikers I would say are a step above him are Kane, Lewandowski, Cavani, Suarez and Aguero...
Dzeko, Icardi, Aubameyang, Firmino and maybe Immobile are probably the next group of 5.

Also just has a fantastic striking technique with either foot. As Raoul says, wish we signed him after Wolfsburg. Wouldve been a brilliant player to lead the line for years.
The technique on his volleys is outstanding, seems to be able to volley the ball with power and into the roof of the net so often lately. His goal tonight that was disallowed was another example of that.

SalfordCitizen

A simply stunning, classic striker, reminds me of a late nineties striker. Powerful, full of technique. Mentally he is the polar opposite of Berbatov, who (mostly) only joined in the fun when his team were winning. Noticed over the years his level goes up when his team are losing a match. He wins knock-ons for fun and his technical ability is unbelievable for such a unit. He scores or assists goals (assists most with his head) in vital moments of his teams season. Pivotal in Man City's first title win. It's like watching a forward from the real old days. He could fit into any era. Manchester United would be lucky to have him there. He must be thirty one or thirty two now. He's got another 3 good years and his level will probably still be as high as it is now. Been watching him for years now and it's been a real joy, never seen a striker like him have such an impact on his team.

Last edited:

NotQuiteManc

Transfer fees notwithstanding, he could be a perfect "backup" striker to Lukaku at the moment. Like any other players, Lukaku needs a challenger to the first 11 spot to keep him motivated I think. Should be perfect Mourinho's type of striker, including the likes of Manzudkic.

SATA

The volley goal he scored against Chelsea in the CL last season was sensational if anyone remembers

Bosnia have some good players. Dzeko, Pjanic, Begovic, the Arsenal LB etc

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Transfer fees notwithstanding, he could be a perfect "backup" striker to Lukaku at the moment. Like any other players, Lukaku needs a challenger to the first 11 spot to keep him motivated I think. Should be perfect Mourinho's type of striker, including the likes of Manzudkic.
He's a better player than Lukaku in pretty much every department though. 2 footed, shooting from range or close by, finishing 1 on 1, link up play, hold up play, movement off the ball to find space, heading, using his chest (as good as Fellaini when it comes to this tbf). Lukaku is faster... pretty much it. Probably stronger but doesn't use his body as well so that doesn't matter much.

Anyway, he's turning 33 this season. No point. Plus he's happy at Roma and has a good chance of becoming their 2nd all time top scorer (behind Totti) and rejected a move to Chelsea in January because he wanted to stay. But yeah, Dzeko a few years younger would be perfect.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s better than Lukaku.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Biggest mistake City made in recent years, loved Dzeko, he's a beast. First not playing him for Negredo and then replacing him with Bony (really Bony...) is a big part of example of how Pellegrini knocked City down a level from the team Mancini built. Used to get ridiculed for his first touch by some City fans, it's weird how all big strikers are seen as having a bad first touch cept Zlatan. Was probably our most important striker in the run in to beat Liverpool to Pellegrini's title win.

Despite all the goals he scored for us it's kind of a shame his best years were spent as a rotation option and being in and out of the team.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A simply stunning, classic striker, reminds me of a late nineties striker. Powerful, full of technique. Mentally he is the polar opposite of Berbatov, who (mostly) only joined in the fun when his team were winning. Noticed over the years his level goes up when his team are losing a match. He wins knock-ons for fun and his technical ability is unbelievable for such a unit. He scores or assists goals (assists most with his head) in vital moments of his teams season. Pivotal in Man City's first title win. It's like watching a forward from the real old days. He could fit into any era. Manchester United would be lucky to have him there. He must be thirty one or thirty two now. He's got another 3 good years and his level will probably still be as high as it is now. Been watching him for years now and it's been a real joy, never seen a striker like him have such an impact on his team.
Aye, he's very Vieri-esque. You make a good point about his level rising in the bigger games which is a fairly rare trait amongst the top group of strikers today. 19 goals in his last 24 European games - including 4 in the quarters and semis last season - and about 55 international goals for a relatively middling nation - those are talismanic figures. Throw in his muscular presence and hold-up play and you've got a hell of a player.

izec

Great striker, a tier below the best ones, but still very good. I remember that great trio of Grafite, Dzeko and Mismimovic at Wolfsburg under Magath.

A lot of clubs missed a trick back then and also after City, would be starting for us now

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Great striker, a tier below the best ones, but still very good. I remember that great trio of Grafite, Dzeko and Mismimovic at Wolfsburg under Magath.

A lot of clubs missed a trick back then and also after City, would be starting for us now
I was always really surprised he didn't have more suitors when City didn't want him. He'd be great in a Mourinho set up as well.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
My favourite memory of him was when he was at City, in one match he went down, simulating an injury, and opponents scored on them. It was so nice.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm pretty sure he's been labelled 'donkey' a number of times by City fans because he wasn't as technically great as Aguero

Oh yea, they were brilliant that year :drool:

I thought Misimovic was the best out of them and really surprised he didn't succeed anywhere else, I think he had attitude issues. But he was widly talented.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was superb for Wolfsburg and made a wrong career move by moving to City. He became a super sub, had he moved to other club where he played regularly, he would have been rated much higher.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He was superb for Wolfsburg and made a wrong career move by moving to City. He became a super sub, had he moved to other club where he played regularly, he would have been rated much higher.
Yep, agree. He was never appreciated enough at City. I thought he was as good a goalscorer as Aguero, if given enough chances, but that was never going to happen in City's 1 striker formation.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep, agree. He was never appreciated enough at City. I thought he was as good a goalscorer as Aguero, if given enough chances, but that was never going to happen in City's 1 striker formation.
IIRC Chelsea wanted to sign him too when he left City but City didn't sell him to PL team.

Looks like he is settled at Roma and enjoying his time.

Web of Bissaka

I like him. He's a good striker, complete all around have it all and can slot into any system. As a United fans, glad City didn't make full use of this guy. As general football fans, thankfully Roma now did. Wouldn't say he's a great striker nor WC but damn he showed presence in high profile games. I still hate his goal for City against us.

Trizy

Only time I watched him since he left the PL was against Liverpool in Rome last year. He was fantastic.

ariel

Obviously had to dislike him during his City days.
However, he is really top class. It seems he actually scores more amazing goals (volleys or whatever crackers) with his weaker left foot.

KC91

His first season with Roma was dreadful, the fact he managed to come back from that, in the way he has speaks to his mental level along with his obvious talent on the pitch.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Should be for the rest of the season. Of all the things you can do on a pitch, spitting on an official (or anyone else) really is up there as one of the absolute scummiest things you can do.

Doesn't look like he actually spat and the ref didn't even flinch or react in any way. It was 'just' a derogatory gesture. Obviously a deserved red card, but that's about it.